Babysitting

Snatches and Snippets

Summary: Three men found themselves looking after two most unlikely babies in the world. 

 

 

 

 

A shrill cry rang across the apartment shared by Changmin and Yunho. Changmin groaned and pulled the pillow from below him, drapping it across his head. He had come back home in the wee hours of the morning, as he sat through the final decisions with regards to the Ti Amo photobook. Yunho had long escaped from the tiring meeting.

“My stomach hurts,” he moaned and he ran all the way back to their apartment.

Changmin’s whines got even louder when the cries did not seem to cease. Oh god, what has Yunho brought back this time, he mentally wailed as he banged his head incessantly against the bed. Realising that the cries were not going to subside, Changmin got up from his bed, not without making lots of noises to show his displeasure.

He shuffled sleepily towards the other room and grimaced when the cries got louder. It was definitely Yunho’s doing, Changmin messed his hair in frustration. Not bothering to knock – it’s not as if he hadn’t seen what he should not have seen anyway -, the maknae barged into the room. The sight before him left him tongue-tied. Now, there were not many things that could render the sharp tongue singer speechless, but this seemed to be one of it.

The room was empty, sans a toddler screaming and crying on Yunho’s bed. Changmin approached the wailing toddler cautiously, not wanting to upset the little tyke any further. He assumed that the boy must be Yunho’s for he resembled the leader eerily and the fact that he was on his bed just solidify Changmin’s accusations.

He sat gingerly at the edge of the bed and saw that there was a change in the baby’s disposition. The Yunho-lookalike had stopped crying but big, fat tears still clung precariously on the long lashes of the baby. The chubby boy slowly crawled towards the newcomer and plopped onto his diapers clad bottom ungracefully when he was inches away from the adult. Changmin could tell that the baby was no more than 2 years old.

“Hello,” Changmin initiated the conversation.

The boy remained silent as he starting his thumb messily.

“I’m Changmin, what’s your name?” The singer tried again.

“Yunho! Ho! HO!” The tyke removed the wrinkled thumb and spoke. He seemed to like the way his name sounded as the boy had stopped his thumb. Instead, he simply repeated and repeated the HO in his name, giggling non-stop.

It took all of Changmin’s resolve to not slap his forehead. Yunho named his son Yunho. Who did he think he was, some American who wants their son to carry the exact same name as him so that he could add the Senior/ Junior affix to them?

Changmin stared harder at Little Yunho. The more he stared, the more crept out he felt. The little boy was really a splitting image of his father! He even had that little mole on top of the cupid bow lips! And suddenly, Changmin had an incredulous idea. What if, just what if this little boy was really Yunho!

“Are you really Yunho? Jung Yunho?”

“I am YunHO!” Yunho squawked.

 

 

 

 

Changmin paced around the apartment worriedly. Somehow or another, Yunho was reverted to his child-self and Changmin had no idea what to do. He even googled Yunho’s baby photos and it was exactly the one on his bed! Was this even real, Changmin started doubting everything and he slapped himself hard to make sure he was not dreaming. He had given a quick call to their manager, informing him that Yunho cannot make it for his drama filming, throwing every excuse he had in his head.

“Jaejoong. Jaejoong would know what to do. He always knows what to do,” Changmin mumbled incoherently as he rummaged his entire room for his mobile phone. His hands were shaking as he punched the numbers of the lead singer.

The dialing tone droned on and on and Changmin was getting more and more frazzled. The Jaejoong he knows would never not answer his phone. Dialing one more time, Changmin waited impatiently as he looked at Yunho sitting on his bed, hugging onto his Bambi.

The call finally went through and Changmin wanted to cry in relief.

“Jaejoong hyung! Oh my god! You have to help me! Yunho-  Yunho has turned into a child!” He wailed down the line. He even called Jaejoong, hyung, subconsciously, showing how desperate he was.

The other end was silent and Changmin felt his heart almost stopping.

“Jaejoongie hyung?”

A childish voice started babbling nonsensically at the other end.

 

 

 

Three men stared at the two toddlers seated at Jaejoong’s sofa. The two toddlers were babbling animatedly with each other, not noticing the thick tension amongst the adults.

 

 

The moment Changmin heard the child-like voice, he immediately slammed the phone down. Dialing the next best alternative, Changmin prayed and wished and hoped as he waited for the line to be picked up. He fell on his knees, crying actual tears of joy when a manly adult voice answered the phone. “Yoochun hyung!”

With baby Yunho in tow, Changmin marched right into Jaejoong’s luxurious apartment, only to be greeted with its baby owner and two befuddled adults. Changmin had to count all the moles on the little boy’s face to double confirm that the baby was indeed his hyung.

“Jaejoong hyung, what happened?”

Baby Jaejoong glared at Changmin.

“I’m Joongie. JoongIE!” The little boy responded angrily. But how could one be angry at a toddler no more than two years, clutching an oversized elephant plushie by its trunk. Yunho appeared between the long legs of Changmin and stared fascinated at his new playmate. So pretty, he thought to himself as he hugged Bambi closer to him.

 

 

 

“What happened?” Yoochun asked no one in particular as the trio watched the two toddlers screaming their heads off at each other.

“JoongIE!”

“YunHO!”

“JoongIE!”

“YunHO!”

Be it teenagers, or adults or babies. Yunho and Jaejoong always play well with each other, as the two babies giggled childishly. And despite the illogical situation, the three men could not help but smile as the innocent laughter washed over them.

“Let’s look after them for a day and see what happens. Let’s hope they will be back tomorrow or else,” Junsu sighed. Yoochun and Changmin nodded their heads at the suggestion.

 

 

 

Baby Jaejoong glared murderously at the brown plushie in Yunho’s arms. He could not understand why Yunho liked the toy so much. It was so ugly, so unlike his Kokki-Kokki. Of course, Baby Jaejoong did not know that what he was feeling was jealousy, he just felt unhappy and angry.

Baby Yunho was unaware of Jaejoong’s unhappy disposition as he cuddled his Bambi, petting the head as gracefully as a two year old could. However, his happiness was short-lived when Bambi was snatched out of his hands. His orbs turned glassy as he stared at the culprit. Baby Jaejoong had flung the annoying toy on the floor. Before Yunho could wail down the house, Jaejoong placed his tiny hand into Yunho’s equal tiny hands. Yunho stared at the pale, soft hands in his.

“Ten dollars that Yunho will cry soon,” Changmin spoke.

“Ten dollars that he won’t!” Yoochun accepted the bet confidently.

Junsu simply slurped his banana milk quietly, content with the yellow treat that he had rummaged from the fridge.

Changmin smirked handsomely. “Oh, Chunnie. Yunho had screamed my ears off when I tried to pry the goddamn toy out of his hands when we were on the way out. The toy does not leave his hands at all.”

“Really?” Yoochun spoke condescendingly.

Baby Yunho was still staring at Jaejoong’s hands. The pale boy frowned at Yunho’s lack of response and decided to take the first step. He shifted his round bottom clumsily until he was millimeters away from the chubby boy.

“YunHO!” Jaejoong called out.

Baby Yunho looked up and gave Jaejoong the gummiest smile ever, hands clutching tight at Jaejoong’s hands.

“Told you,” Yoochun sang. “It’s Jaejoongie hyung. Yunho hyung can never say no to him.”

Changmin slapped a ten dollar bill irritatingly onto Yoochun’s outstretched palm.

 

 

 

 

Junsu thought that babysitting Yunho and Jaejoong were easy. The two toddlers amused each other so greatly that they hardly required an entertainment from either of the adults. Thus, the trio took the time and chatted about anything under the sun. Until Jaejoong approached them, one hand dragging his elephant plushie by the trunk while his other free hand was held by Yunho.

“Yes, Jaejoong?” Yoochun cooed. It seemed as though Yoochun were unable to get over the adorableness of his soulmate.

Baby Jaejoong frowned.

“I mean, JoongIE!” The actor corrected himself quickly and was awarded a bright smile from the child.

“Hungry.”

At his request, the three men were on their toes, panicking. What do two year olds eat? When the adults made no attempt to move, Baby Jaejoong and Yunho started crying loudly. Junsu winced at Jaejoong’s loud set of pipes. Despite the tender age of two, the babies sure do cry damn loudly. Junsu propelled towards the door, telling Yoochun and Changmin that he would go buy the food, leaving them to care for the two screaming devils. They could only glare at the fast retreating back of the musical actor, unable to do anything else.

Each carrying a wailing toddler, they seated them on the sofa before Yoochun switched on the television. He channel surfed at the speed of lightning, trying to find a suitable program to soothe the hungry kids. His eyes widened in delight as he caught sight of Pororo and increased the television volumn, hoping that the children would fall silent and watch Pororo.

Yunho immediately stopped crying as he watched the animated penguin in full fascination. However, Jaejoong was having none of it. The fussy child cried and cried, until he choked on his spit. Changmin turned helplessly towards Yoochun.

“You are his soulmate. You should know what to do.”

“I can’t guess the mind of adult Jaejoong very well, not to say baby Jaejoong.”

“Please?” Changmin gave Yoochun a kicked puppy face. His ears were ringing with the shrill cry. He looked at Yunho in horrid fascination as the toddler was enjoying his Pororo. It was as if he could tune off Jaejoong’s cries.

“Okay, let’s try this,” Yoochun sighed as he his fingers flew past on his phone trying to find a suitable video. He debated over his choice of video but decided heck it, and mirror screened it on Jaejoong’s huge smart television.

Pororo was cut off in the midst of their singing and Yunho looked at Changmin confusedly. Changmin patted the confused boy comfortingly on his head. He turned towards the television and saw that Yoochun had played a YouTube video. It was a fan compilation of Jaejoong’s funny moments.

“The hell, hyung?”

“Shh, it’s working.” Yoochun shushed him hurriedly.

True to his words, Jaejoong had stopped crying but staring at the screen enraptured. Yoochun quickly took a tissue and wiped Jaejoong’s tear-stained face. Even Yunho, who was sad that his Pororo had disappeared, had also taken an interest to the video currently playing.

Changmin clapped slowly at Jaejoong’s response. His hyung was surely the biggest narcissist he had the pleasure of knowing. And was that admiration he saw shining in the little boy’s orbs as Baby Jaejoong kept his eyes glued to the television.

 

 

 

 

It took a while for Junsu to be back with the food and Yoochun and Changmin had to keep playing the videos non-stop to placate the hungry toddlers. At some point, Baby Jaejoong had pointed to a very young Changmin and shouted “BABY!”

“Look who’s calling baby?” Changmin snorted while Yoochun cooed yet again at his soulmate. “Aww, even as a baby, Jaejoongie hyung can still recognize his baby!”

When Junsu was finally back with the food, Yoochun could only pat his shoulders encouragingly at his effort and adorableness. Forgetting the fact that Jaejoong was just a child, Junsu’s mind only revolved around wanting his hyung to be happy back again. So he went to Jaejoong’s favourite eatery and bought back his favourite food, Jamppong.

“It’s too spicy for him!” Changmin gushed as he gulped down an entire glass of iced water. He had slurped a healthy portion of noodles from the takeaway bowl and was blown by the spiciness of it. How could he have forgotten, Changmin grimaced, for whenever Jaejoong labelled anything as his favourite food, the dish would bound to be loaded with chilli.

In the end, they ordered Jajjangmyun and had it delivered to the house.

 

 

 

Upon smelling the Chinese delight, the two children immediately slid off from the high sofa and ran towards the dining table. It was a sight to see two clumsily toddlers trying to climb the seat that was too high for them. After much heaving and puffy, Yunho finally managed to climb onto the seat, a proud smile adorned his lips. Upon seeing the success of his playmate, baby Jaejoong hit the seat indignantly. His stubby legs refused to cooperate. In the end, Junsu slid a hand under his armpits and heaved him up the seat easily.

A bowl of black noodles were placed between the hungry children. Foregoing all manners and propriety, Yunho dug in straight into the noodles, using his hands as his only cutlery. Black sauced speckled all over the gleaming white marble top while Yunho’s mole and chin were hidden behind layers of sauce too. Jaejoong on the other hand tried to use a dessert fork that Yoochun had dug up from his kitchen to eat his noodles. Tried being the keyword for Jaejoong was struggling to scoop the slippery thick noodles up, not knowing how a fork is used. Changmin laughed at the sight before him. Even as a child, he could clearly see glimpses of their adulthood – a messy eater and a neat eater.

The two toddlers were busy digging through their late lunch, not even talking at all. Jaejoong had long given up the silver cutlery and had used his hands instead, although he was still a tad neater than Yunho. As their little hands pulled the noodles into their mouths, none of them realized that they had pulled the same strand of noodles, resulting in a hilarious stand-down between the two eaters. Mouths chewing industrially, they eyed each other, with a strand of noodles of a few centimeters connecting both their moving mouths.  The trio had taken a seat right before them, wanting to know what would happen next. The adult versions of them would fight for the remaining pathetic strand of noodle, despite having a bowlful of them in front of them. And then it started, small mouths working fast to pull in the noodles. Yunho was already leaning towards Jaejoong in a bid to get more noodles. Then the unexpected happened, or not. It was rather expected of them anyway. Jaejoong neared Yunho while the chubby boy leaned even nearer. It was bound to happen as the two pairs of lips met.

Yoochun cried as he immediately pulled the two kissing boys away.

“How could you defile my hyung’s lips!” The actor cried dramatically as he used a tissue to wipe frantically at Jaejoong’s lips. The little boy glanced at him confusedly before struggling out of his embrace, returning to his noodles again.

“Oi, Yunho hyung’s lips are too kay!” Changmin defended as he, too, used a tissue to clean Yunho’s lips.

 

 

 

“They need a bath.”

Jaejoong and Yunho had finished the humongous bowl of noodles between themselves and relax against the backrest of the dining chair. The two toddlers were on to their fingers, not wanting to waste a speck of the food even though their cheeks, chins and the front of their shirts were all covered with the black sauce.

“Together?”

“It’s not like they never seen each other before.”

Jaejoong’s huge bathtub was filled with warm water and bubbles before the dirty kids were thrown, genteelly of course, into the tub.

Changmin and Yoochun scrubbed studiously at the squirming kids, trying to get every dirt and grime out. Junsu had left the house, already running late for his musical.

“I know I sound like a e, but god. Jaejoong hyung’s skin is just so smooth,” Yoochun groaned as he swiped his hands across the back of the toddler. Changmin fell silent before reaching a hand to touch the said back.

Jaejoong ignored the two roaming hands on his back as he tried to defend his yellow rubber duck from the evil yellow duck of Yunho’s, who had a huge dollop of bubble foam on his head, courtesy of Changmin.

 

 

 

 

 

Making sure the two little tykes were completely dry, the inexperienced babysitters were left to put on the diapers on them. Junsu had procured two diapers for them before he left, claiming that he had borrowed from Jaejoong’s neighbours. Yoochun did not even want to know how Junsu knew that the neighbor had diapers to spare.

Yoochun had it easy as Jaejoong was lying on his back on his large bed obediently. As the actor figured how to secure the diapers on him, the little boy started singing a very monotonous version of The Way You Are.

“He could still remember his horrible Buddhist version of that song,” Changmin snorted as the dull tones filled the room.

Yoochun peppered Jaejoong’s torso and face with kisses, unable to resist the charms of the little boy. Jaejoong giggled and squealed at the tickling sensation, breaking off his morbid rendition of the song.

Changmin, on the other hand, was having none of it. He stared enviously at Yoochun and the completed mission. Yunho was so hyperactive that Changmin was close to tying his hands and feet together in order to stop him from moving around. The precocious toddler refused to lie on his back. Rather, he had taken a liking to the huge bed with its smooth satin sheets, crawling all around the bed. Changmin was so afraid that Yunho would let loose. Jaejoong would definitely have his head for it and insist him to buy him a new one if Yunho were to pee on it. And it isn’t even cheap! Losing his cool, Changmin grabbed one of Yunho’s ankles and dragged him all the way to the end of bed, and with all his might, he managed to tape the diapers tightly before flopping to the floor, drained. Not knowing anything, Yunho stuck his head out innocently as he laughed at the man spread-eagled on the floor. The singer flipped him the bird, which almost got his finger twisted off by a paranoid Yoochun.

Too tired to dress the toddlers, they left Yunho and Jaejoong roamed the house , with just a diaper on them. There were no clothes of their size anyway. In the end, the toddlers finally exhausted their energy and drooped like a wilted flower. Carefully, they carried the snoring children to bed.

“The left!” Yoochun whispered urgently as he saw Changmin lowering Yunho on the right side of the bed.

“This side is Jaejoong’s!” He reminded before dropping the owner of the bed at his rightful side.

Changmin swore under his breath as he walked round the bed and placed Yunho on the other side. With the covers pulled right to their necks, Yoochun switched off the lights and closed the door silently. The couple slid to the floor in pure exhaustion.

 

 

 

 

“WHY ARE YOU ON MY BED?”

Changmin, Junsu and Yoochun were rudely awakened to see a very Jung Yunho streaking across the apartment with an equally Kim Jaejoong chasing after him. They shared a smile full of relief before dropping dead on the couch in the living room.

Their hyungs were finally back to their normal selves and that was all they cared.  Loud snores filled the living room, almost overpowering the shrill shrieks of why a certain leader was sleeping on his bed.

All was well.

 

 

 

 

AN: I've read a couple of pieces that featured Changmin, Junsu and Yoochun as kids, but almost never Yunho and Jaejoong. So I thought why not? KEKE. So how was this version? Refreshing or just weird? AHAHAHAHA. Also, no copyright infringement is intended for the use of the image. Credit to jijiballs.