Tiffany's Second Key [3/3]

Snatches and Snippets

AN: The last part for the Second key!

 

“How could you!” Jaejoong whined and slapped Yunho’s chest lightly.

“I was young, you were acting all snobbish and haughty, and clingy to an old man. You can’t blame me.”

“To clarify, I weren’t clingy. If you would just observed more carefully, you would see that he was the one stuck to me and not the other way round. And he’s not some old man, he was my sponsor!”

Yunho nodded his head in a placating manner, not wanting to pursue the matter any further. In truth, he did misunderstood Jaejoong, and it always hurts a prideful male like him when he had to admit his mistakes. He does stand up to his mistakes when he was in the wrong, but they wound his ego nonetheless.

With Yunho rubbing soothingly against his scalp, Jaejoong was fighting feebly against sleeping. He was suffering from jet lag and the temptation to just succumb was overwhelming. However, Jaejoong did not want to sleep just yet. They hadn’t seen each other for a month and he was not going to spend their second anniversary sleeping. The model huffed and sat up on the sofa, upsetting the letters on his lap. They were not of importance anyway.

“So… Where’s my present?” Jaejoong held his hand out demandingly.

“That sure that I definitely got you one?”

“Of course.”

The taller man scrunched his face at his lover and reached behind him. The confident smile slipped and his hand patted the area behind him vigorously. Giving Jaejoong a disbelieving look, he turned round to see just where did the present went.

Looking at his frantic boyfriend, Jaejoong decided to relieve the poor man out of his hopelessness.

“Are you looking for this?”

A rose gold coloured key was held in mid-air.

Yunho slumped against the sofa, drained, and pinned the mischievous man a scathing glare.

“Are you finally gifting me the key to that large safe in your study?” Jaejoong bounced excitedly on the seat, akin to a child. Ever since the beauty chanced upon the large grey box sitting at a corner in the room, he had been trying to pick open the safe to no avail. He had requested, bribed, threatened Yunho for the pin and key but Yunho stood firm. Yunho was more than alright for Jaejoong to know of the code and look through, but an annoyed and somewhat persistent Jaejoong was much more entertaining and amusing. The failed thief then spent almost thirty minutes everyday trying to crack the code. But there were six digits to the code, which mean there would be more than 500,000 permutations to the code.

“I think the engraved Tiffany and Co. on the metal should be a giveaway.”

“Then this must not be the key to some fancy car or yacht or house that you bought for me,” Jaejoong mock sigh despondently.

“Sometimes I wonder if my money is the true reason for going out with me.”

“Now then you realized? I need to ensure my future. You know, a modelling career has a shelf life. And very soon, nobody would want me anymore, and I would be out of jobs. If I don’t get a rich boyfriend and start to amass more wealth, I may have to live on a loaf of bread per week for the rest of my life.”

“You are almost as rich as me, sweetheart,” Yunho snorted as Jaejoong started to paint a bleak (and getting bleaker by the moment) outlook of the next thirty years of his life.

“Yeah, if you remove four hotels, three shopping malls and two resorts from your assets.”

Yunho took the chance and laid his head on the lap of his playful partner. He moaned in bliss as he stretched his long body.

“Didn’t you let your brother-in-law manage your money?”

One of Jaejoong’s many brothers-in-law was a personal wealth manager and Jaejoong had engaged him to manage his assets. The brilliant man had provided him with stellar returns despite the depressing economy.

“Still not as much as you, Mr CEO-of-Korea’s-largest-conglomerate.”

“If you include your dad’s wine business, you may be.”

“As you’ve said. It belongs to my dad, not me. Plus, it’s not certain if I certainly would inherit the business. I have eight noonas before me.”

“Of which, none holds a Business Management degree like you. By the way, could you ask your dad to get me the Rothschild 1945 Chateau Mouton?”

“Why would you need a $23,000 wine for?”

“I am keen in buying a piece of land in Switzerland and I’ve heard the current owner is an avid wine drinker.”

“Oh, okay. If the New Yorker is still in the possession of the wine, then appa might be able to get it for you,” Jaejoong nodded his head, mind working out the possible location of the great wine.

Jaejoong might have given off an impression that he was not interested in taking over his dad’s legendary business, but he sure was well-informed about the wine affairs. The little wine shop was tucked in a non-descript corner of Gangnam. The shop was small but it smelt lovely of fermented grapes and wood. Not many people knew of the shop. But most of his dad’s clientele were in the higher society. It was not the intention of his dad, but soon the small wine business grew to become almost exclusive to the higher societies only. There were not much wine kept in the shop, for many of the wines that Jaejoong’s dad brought over were on the requests of the customers. And usually, those wines were rare and expensive.

There were many offers from his customers to expand the wine business, but Jaejoong's dad refused them politely each time. The business was enough to buy a house large enough to house his nine children in a peaceful neighbourhood of Cheongdam-dong and to satisfy the whims of his sometimes demanding family. There was no economic incentive for him to grow his business and he much preferred to spend time with his family instead.

"The key is smaller."

"But it's gold. So it's more expensive than the first one I gave you."

"Really?" Jaejoong's eyes sparkled as he appraised the copper-coloured key with greater interest. Deciding that it's time to drop the joke, the model lightened his expression till only a small, yet satisfied smile graced his lips. He asked again, "Why is it smaller?"

For almost every present that Yunho got him, there were usually a meaning behind them and Jaejoong wanted to know what this key meant. He was aware that the significance of Yunho's keys usually ran deeper and more to heart.

"You really don't stop until I say it, do you?" The taller man sighed. Jaejoong cherished each time Yunho demonstrated their love through words and usually milked it to its worth. He was not going to let it go this time too.

"Well, I've got a key to your stomach," Jaejoong pulled a thick chain out from under his shirt to show the silver key, "So, this is the key to...?"

"My heart."

Jaejoong looked at the man on his lap seriously. Although they've been together for two years, and almost everybody in Korea knows that they belong to each other, they had never brought up marriage. Whether it was an unconscious effort to avoid the topic or it just did not surface during any of their conversations, they never discuss what's after.

"What does that suppose to mean?" Jaejoong pressed, tone a tad more aggravated then intended. He did not have any commitment issues, but the sudden turn of events caught him offguard.

Yunho remained silent but regarded his lover intently. Those beautiful orbs that he fell in love with were hidden behind a veil of confusion. Despite that, he saw love and affection. But most importantly, he saw no fear.

Jaejoong lifted a hand and drew soothing circles on the defined jaws of his man. When Yunho was serious, he tend to clench his jaws tightly. It was a habit that he could not get Yunho to get rid off.

"Do you not like it?"

"Not like what?" Jaejoong asked gently as he ran his thumb across the smooth cheeks of Yunho. The stubble sported on the chin and upper lip pricked his fingers ocasionally.

Jaejoong has always been the more dependent of the two, constantly being the receiving end of Yunho's generous love and maturity. And even now, Jaejoong was still relying on him to direct their future. But what he did not know that Yunho had grew reliant on Jaejoong too. Like now. It may be an unconscious effort, but Jaejoong's soft touches and caresses were what kept Yunho going on.

"To be at my side."

"As Kim Jaejoong or -"

"Jung Jaejoong."

"Why am I carrying your surname?" Jaejoong frowned.

"What's wrong?" It wasn’t that Yunho was chauvinistic. He just wanted the world to know that Jaejoong belongs to him, and only him, and Jaejoong carrying his name is the best proof. He knew that Jaejoong had never been prouder being his boyfriend, thus he had not entertain the notion that Jaejoong would not want to have his name. Furthermore, being a Jung will only benefit the model more than ever.

"I have eight noonas before me. How desperate my parents must be to have a son. I bear the responsibility of carrying the Kim name." The slight quirk of the lips told Yunho that Jaejoong was only semi-serious.

"The between your youngest older noona and you is five years. Your mother had you when she was forty-five," Yunho shrugged.

"Are you telling me that I was a mistake?!" Jaejoong widened his eyes in mock horror. The whole family was aware, including him, that Jaejoong's parents had not intended to have another child. But one bottle of wine led to another, and nine months later, a healthy, chubby baby boy was welcomed into the Kim household. But Jaejoong could not have asked for a better set of parents. Having him at such an age, his parents were able to be constantly by his side when he was growing up. And being the maknae, he was doted and pampered terribly by all his noonas. Jaejoong grabbed a cushion and pressed it down hard on Yunho's face. Not wanting to lose, the young CEO reached up blindly and tickled the man above him.

Loud shrieks of laughter filled the apartment as Jaejoong tried to tear himself away from the talented, yet torturous fingers.

"Yunho, stop. STOP!" Jaejoong screamed between laughs.

Yunho finally released his violently squirming boyfriend and received a hard smack on his abdomen.

"Yah!" Jaejoong panted.

"Since you carry such a heavy burden, it is only fair that I, the most wonderful husband on Earth, relieve you of it. How about Jung-Kim Jaejoong?" Yunho suggested.

"Kim-Jung."

Yunho scrunched his nose. "Jung-Kim. J comes before K."

"Kim-Jung. There's more Kims in Korea than Jungs. Majority wins."

"That makes no sense."

"None of this is."

A sense of realisation washed through the couple.

"Is this a proposal?" Jaejoong asked unsurely.

“Are you only realising that this is a proposal now?”

Yunho has always considered himself as a  practical and rational person. But since he met Jaejoong, he grew to become a romantic at heart. Even Changmin took notice of the sudden change of personality and he attributed it to Jaejoong. The model was a natural of romantic gestures that it got rubbed onto the once stoic man over time.

Of course, Yunho had plans for the proposal. The plans were not concrete yet, but the young CEO had a good enough idea of what he wanted. This definitely was the not the proposal he had in mind. His proposal was going to be the proposal of the century. It would be the talk months later. He was definite of that. But he just could not stop himself from teasing the adorable man in front of him.

“Then where’s my bended knees, roses and ring!” Jaejoong shove Yunho off his lap incredulously.

“And you said you weren’t a girl.” Yunho rubbed his tender side where it had hit the low coffee table when Jaejoong pushed him away.

“Gender equality!”

Jaejoong stared hard at his lover, chest heaving. Taking pity, Yunho pulled him into his arms. The poor man was so confused at the sudden turn of events that Yunho felt a teeny weeny guilt.

He shifted his weight left and right and the couple swayed lightly.

“Just kidding, sorry,” Yunho whispered softly into Jaejoong’s ear.

Jaejoong’s heart gave a sudden lurch. He furrowed his brows as he could not understand why he was feeling that way. He was supposed to feel relieved but why was he actually disappointed to the extent that he was having difficulty in breathing. He took a few shaky breaths but his heart was still squeezing painfully.

“Hey, what’s wrong?” Yunho pulled away when he felt Jaejoong shaking. He widened his eyes when he saw the glassy orbs of his lover.

“Hey, hey, what’s the matter?” Yunho asked gently. He wiped the lone tear that rolled down the soft cheek.

More tears fell as Jaejoong failed to keep his emotions in check. Yunho tried to look into Jaejoong’s eyes but the model avoided by affixing his gaze on the blue stripes of Yunho’s pyjamas pants. Gentle hands cupped his face and slowly tilted his face to face upwards.

“You don’t want to marry me?” Jaejoong hipcupped.

“Of course not!” The model flinched at the sudden loud voice.

“God, you have no idea how much I want to just write your name on the marriage registration form and submit to the Registrar now."

"Then?"

"Will you be fine with a proposal like this?"

"No," Jaejoong sniffed.

Yunho gazed at Jaejoong fondly with a tinge of exasperation.

"I didn't know you were so desperate in wanting to marry me."

"Oh, shut up." Jaejoong wiped his tears on Yunhos forearms as if they were a terry cloth.

"Then again, I can understand how you'd feel. Who else but me can tolerate your nonsense," Yunho declared airily, "Oh no, you don't!" He quickly reached for the Kleenex on the coffee table and pressed it hastily on Jaejoong's nose when he saw the model attempting to blow his nose.

The glare he received brought a bright smile on his face when he knew he had successfully thwarted another one of Jaejoong's pranks.

"That just proves my point, honey."

"I'm not your honey," Jaejoong pouted.

"Honey, no? What about darling?" Jaejoong shook his head in the negative.

"Dear?"

"Boring."

"Baby?" The model casted a suffering look at him.

"My sweetest sugar pumpkin pie-" Jaejoong made a strangling noise from his throat.

"But now that you mentioned it, I have sweet bread cravings. Buy it for me."

"Eh? But that's on the other side of the Hangang."

There was only one bakery that served the sweet bread that Jaejoong loved so much.

"Buy for me huh." The model whined while tugging the band of Yunho's pyjamas pants demurely. "Sweet bread, sweet bread, sweet bread!" He started to chant when Yunho continued to sit on the sofa.

"It's our second anniversary and you can't even be bothered to buy me sweet bread?" Jaejoong changed his tactics when he realised whining would get him nowhere.

"It's just our second year together. It's not as if this is our second wedding anniversary. Now, that would be different since if I would retrieve the moon if my husband so wishes so."A rather calculating smile crossed over Yunho's face.

"Even if removing the moon would affect the oceans on an unprecedented level?"

"The happiness of my husband is all I'm concerned of."

"So you aren't going to buy me bread?"

"I will if you're my husband. Are you?"

Jaejoong gaped silently. He was trapped. If he wanted the bread, then he would have to agree being his legal partner. The model was not sure if he had the courage for the vocal admittance. But he really wanted to have the bread. Why must the bakery be so far away?

Yunho smirked inwardly when he saw Jaejoong's lips thinned. That obvious boyfriend of his were either cursing him or blaming the bakery for not being in the city.

"Well?" He prompted.

"Just buy me the bread," Jaejoong gritted out before stomping his way back to the room.

Yunho sat alone on the couch with an idiotic face-splitting grin on his face. Still wearing the grin, he grabbed his car keys from the counter top and left his apartment in a trance, all while forgetting that he was only wearing his old pyjamas bottoms only.