Tiffany's Third Key [1/3]

Snatches and Snippets

Blinding flashes bounced off the white walls along with the shutters of a camera.

"Taesoo, tilt your head down. A little more... Yes, good. Jaejoong, perfect," the photographer exclaimed as he took another set of photographers.

The two men, one clad in black and another clad in white, changed their poses with every click of the shutters. Most of the staff on set stopped their work to observe the two talented models before their eyes. Kim Jaejoong, the top male model of South Korea, and Lee Taesoo, the hottest rising model. Who wouldn't be fascinated by the pairing?

Kevin, the photographer, grinned as he took yet another satisfactory photo of the pair. Lee Taesoo, despite having debut only a year ago, was improving tremendously with every pose and he suspected that it was to the credit of Jaejoong. The greenhorn had his ego inflated from his early fame and Kevin could not blame the man at all. Haughtiness suited the teenage model well, since there was this saying that arrogance is the only entitlement of the young. Taesoo was a talented model, Kevin could see that, but his inexperience was obvious when paired with Jaejoong. Having been in the modelling industry for a decade and walking down numerous T-stages, Jaejoong was a natural in front of the camera. The subtle arrogance that Jaejoong wore around him contrasted heavily against the crude conceitedness of Taesoo. And it was it that ignited the competitiveness of Taesoo. He was not going to get his glamour stolen from a model of the past and strove to outpose Jaejoong. But Jaejoong have worked with models of all sorts, and Taesoo's little tactics were  simply adorable in his own opinion. The seasoned model quietly adapted to whatever space that Taesoo had not occupied.

"Alright, take ten!" Kevin hollered. He joined the men in suits from the marketing department as they discussed the concept of the later half of the shoot.

Jaejoong dropped his shoulders and inserted his hands into his trousers' pockets. Hani, his makeup stylist hurried forward, with a compact powder opened in her palm.

"Oppa, we are going out to eat after this, you want to join us?" She invited as she patted the cushion onto Jaejoong's face.

"Where?"

"We probably going back to that ahjussi's place. Junsu oppa keeps whining that if he don't get to eat the chicken there, he will die."

Jaejoong rolled his eyes at the dramatics of the chicken lover,  "Yunho's occupied with his work. I'll join you guys."

"Jaejoong oppa is treating us for dinner!" Hani announced in her characteristic loud voice and there were cheers from Jaejoong's staff.

"Thank you!" In an equally loud voice, Hani bowed exaggeratedly at Jaejoong.

"Brat!" The model swatted the cheeky girl with a grin. "That must be the only reason why you wanted  me to join."

"Oh, I don't know," Hani replied mischievously and skipped out of the set.

"Yunho?" Jaejoong turned towards Taesoo.

"Ah, he's my boyfriend," Jaejoong explained with a light blush on his cheeks.

"Yunho? You don't mean the Jung Yunho, do you?" An incredulous look was painted across the young face.

"Umm, yeah. That guy." Jaejoong resisted not scratching his head in embarrassment lest he messed up his waxed hair.

Taesoo mentally cursed. Luck really do favour pretty people. Not only did Jaejoong had a beautiful face and an equally glamourous career to boot, he had to snag the Jung Yunho.

"You not going to have dinner with you boyfriend?" Taesoo gestured to Jaejoong's staff.

"Ah, he's busy with his work these days."

"You sure he's busy with work?"

A careful look flitted through Jaejoong's face as he pinned the young model with an unreadable look.

"Yes, it's nearing the end of the financial year and he can be an idiotic workaholic at times."

"No need to get your in a twist. I'm just curious. You know, work is the most frequently used excuse when they want they wanted to avoid their partners. I know, 'cause I've used them often." A smug smirk hung from his lips

Taesoo got a taste of the legendary ice prince as a sudden chill ran down his spine and arms. It was as if somebody turned down the air conditioning.  Jaejoong's face was nothing but a blank canvas, but those doe eyes, that were so kind and friendly a few seconds ago, were bitingly chilly.

"Do not pass negative comments to people you've never seen before."

"Just saying," Taesoo shrugged, not wanting to back down even though he truthfully felt threatened. "Soon, he'll simply give you one word answers and then he'll stop picking up your calls," he mumbled quietly, out of embarrassment and anger than anything else.

But Jaejoong keen ears picked it up.

 

 

 

 

 

 

"Chicken, chicken. I love you so much," Junsu declared drunkenly. The rest of the intoxicated people cheered while the sobered ones videoed down the scene for future blackmailing purposes. Jaejoong nursed his cup of barley tea. He was driving and he was not going to get caught for DIU (driving under influence) again. But the combination of Junsu, chicken and beer was really epic and Jaejoong sniggered into his hand as Junsu spouted love sonnets to his one and only chicken. He was contemplating getting a white rooster for Junsu as his birthday present. It would be a sight indeed if he were to carry his pet rooster everywhere he goes.

He reached over for his phone and unlocked the screen. There were no missed calls nor texts. Jaejoong sighed.

Taesoo words echoed at the recess of his mind. Jaejoong trusted Yunho. The successful CEO had done nothing that had shaken the faith he had for him. But humans are naturally suspicious creatures. And when a small seed of doubt has been planted, every innocent action will be interpreted in a different light. Unable to put his mind at rest, Jaejoong dialled for Yunho.

The call was answered quickly.

"Hey."

"Jaejoong, what's wrong?" Yunho's concerned voice flittered over.

"Nothing. Are you busy now?"

"Yeah, I think the whole company has a grudge on me. The later the day gets, the more documents I received. Is this some conspiracy against me?" Yunho whined. He fell back on his chair and loosened his stifling tie.

"Are you alone now?"

"Yes. I've sent Minhye back. I don't want her husband of three weeks to come marching into my office and demand me to return his wife."

"You didn't inform me that Minhye-shii got married!"

"I did!"

"No, you definitely didn't. What should I get for her? Oh gosh, I feel so bad now."

"I'm sure I did tell you. But you don't have to get her something. I've gift her a large enough present."

"Nothing you should brag about. You've always worked the poor girl to her bones, so it's only right that you give her ample compensation. I'm still surprised she's still working for you though."

"She must have been smitten by my manly looks and my charismatic ways."

There was nothing but silence.

"What? Wasn't that what made you fall in love with me?" Yunho whined.

"No. I fell in love with your money," Jaejoong deadpanned.

"Damn my money!" And the couple broke into laughs.

A muffled knock was heard and some words were exchanged. Jaejoong strained to hear the conversation but he could hardly make out any words. Yunho must have pressed his phone against his chest.

"Hey sweetheart, I've got to go. It looks like the accounts are not adding up."

"Oh oh, you better go then. Bye!"

"Bye. I love you."

Jaejoong sighed as he ended the call. The short phone call brought even more misery to the model as he tried to push away the lonely emotions. He drank another sip of his barley tea and chuckled. To hell with your words, Taesoo.

 

 

 

 

Jaejoong slowly woke up. As his brain slowly registered the unoccupied side of the bed, he sighed. He had unconsciously slept on Yunho’s side of the bed again. This was not the first night Yunho had not been home. It had been almost a week since Jaejoong last saw his lover. He pouted into Yunho’s pillow.

He missed Yunho.

His smiles, his teasings, his kisses, his touches... He missed them all. Even Yunho's usual habits that annoyed him, he missed them too. Like how he always threw his socks at his shoes, expecting people to pick up after him, or how he always hogged the toilet in the morning, resulting Jaejoong having to barge his way in and shove the singing man out of the shower cubicle so that he could shower and not be late for his work again.

He confessed he was feeling more clingy than usual. He blamed it on his friends. It was as if the marriage season had arrived as his friends all decided to get married. He had already attended three weddings and he had another two more to go later the month. All the romance and cheesiness was getting into him.

Stretching towards the bedside table, he reached for his phone. Locking and unlocking his phone, Jaejoong could not make up his mind. Should he call? Will it make him seem too desperate? What if Yunho find him annoying? What if he called disrupted a very important meeting? How’s and what if’s swirled in his sleep-addled mind. He punched the bed in frustration. He felt himself returning to his awkward teenage years. Where did the cool, charming and sauve Jaejoong hidden to?

Giving up, he called Yunho.

“Yunhoooooooo,” Jaejoong whined once the phone got through.

“Hello?”

Jaejoong shot up from his bed. It was a female-sounding voice. It was cold and sharp. He pulled the phone from his ear and checked. Yep, it was Yunho's phone number aright.

“He went to the restroom. We are discussing very important information right now and I would like us to be undisturbed. Thanks.” The line was cut off.

Jaejoong froze. What just happened? He blinked. And blinked. His mind went into major overhaul but he just could not make out the current situation. Did a lady just answered his call? Did she asked him to not bother Yunho anymore?

The more he thought, the more confused he got. With trembling hands, he lifted the phone to his ears.

“Hello?” A familiar deep masculine voice answered.

At that moment, Jaejoong let out a breath he did not know he was holding.

“I’ll call you back later alright, love.”

“Wait-“

The dialtone droned on.

Not trusting his ears, Jaejoong fumbled and punched in Yunho’s number clumsily. The  smartphone slid from between his grasp and ear as the automated voice message played out.

Yunho had switched off his phone.