Tiffany's Third Key [2/3]

Snatches and Snippets

AN: I was surprised at the amount of hate my little OC garnered. HAHAHA. It made me happy. Is it weird to feel happy when my characters are hated? HAHA. Anyways, here's the second part!

 

 

Junsu watched on worriedly as Jaejoong appeared to be listening intently to the photographer who was explaining the photoshoot concept. The veteran model might seem like his usual self, but under keen eyes, Junsu knew better. Behind the concealer and colour contacts were sunken cheeks and dull eyes.

Junsu approached his friend once the photographer left.

"Wanna talk?" He asked casually, hands in his jeans' back pockets.

"Hmm?"

The bubbly manager appraised his charge carefully.

"It must be something big for you to lose sleep for several days."

"Heh, you know I came straight here right after the overnight conference with that stupid French man. "Oh, I was thinking of doing a 'Love Your Body' concept, so wouldn't it be nice if everybody goes on stage?" " Jaejoong gave a deadpan stare to Junsu.

"Full frontal?" Junsu giggled.

"Not funny, Junsu-yah. He even went to the point of asking if I were agreeable to a full body wax."

The characteristic eu-kyang-kyangs echoed around the studio.

"No but seriously, what's bothering you, hyung."

The smile dropped from the gorgeous face as Jaejoong started to close off.

"It's not going to work on me, you know that. Your ice prince defence mechanism only works on people who are not close to you." Junsu stated lightly. There wasn't the need for him to even look at the model's face to know that Jaejoong was trying to shut him out. Being friends and colleagues for a decade, Junsu knew Jaejoong inside out.

"Nothing happened," Jaejoong stated tersely.

"And I'll be the biggest fool if I believe you."

"You were never the brightest of the lot to start with."

"Jaejoong..." Junsu's voice was grave and serious.

"Sorry, I shouldn't have said that." The icy demeanour fell into pieces as Jaejoong faced Junsu apologetically.

"Is it Yunho-"

"Jaejoong-shii, are you ready?" A staff called out.

"Yeah. Sorry, Junsu-yah," the model smiled at his manager and positioned himself before the camera.

Junsu gazed at the back profile of the slender man worriedly. He saw Jaejoong froze subtly when he mentioned Yunho.  What had happened between the lovebirds?

 

 

 

 

The photoshoot ended successfully and Jaejoong stifled a yawn. The photoshoot lasted for twelve hours, moving from the studio to the beach because the photographer insisted on having a real sunrise as the background.

His ride stopped at Yunho's apartment lobby and he got off. He waved tiredly at his staff and stood in the cold morning air until the car disappeared out of the gates. Rubbing his eyes tiredly, he shuffled slowly back to his house.

The cold empty house greeted him, which reminded him of Yunho. Since that day, Yunho had not called back at all. There were numerous occasions where Jaejoong wanted to call his lover. But fear held him back. He was confused why he was feeling afraid, or even what he was afraid of.

He slumped at on the kitchen counter top and stared at the refrigerator. His thoughts slowly wondered to Yunho yet again. Did he sleep enough? Was he eating well? His mother hen tendencies surfaced unconsciously and he frowned when the thought of Yunho surviving on just coffee and cold sandwiches flashed across.

Without much thought, he tied an apron on his waist and pulled out pots and pans. Cooking always soothed him and Jaejoong emptied out his mind as he chopped and diced and fried. When he regained his mind, a complete meal of kimchi jiggae was sitting on the counter top. He untied the apron, placed it on the table and sat numbly. Resting his chin on his palm, he observed the trailing vapour from the steaming stew and sighed quietly. He packed the dishes into Tupperwares nimbly and left the house.

 

 

 

 

Yunho rubbed his face tiredly. He had only three hours of slept on the sofa in his office before Nicole barged into his room early in the morning. There were some sticky issues that arose with some of their contracts and none in his legal department were adept in solving it. Left with few choices, Yunho pulled a personal favour and called his junior in Harvard for assistance. Despite being only in her late twenties, Nicole was famous, or infamous, in the law circle. Her sharpness and no nonsense attitude earned her the reputation of the Ice Queen of contract law.

He glanced at his smartphone on the table and jumped when there was a sharp rap on the table.

"Yunho, focus. I've only got today left to sort this out. You can go pacify your lover later when I'm gone. You called me for help, and I came in 5 minutes. I hope you do your part too."

"I am focussed, Nicole."

The slim lady, dressed in a seek pant suit, kept quiet, but the subtle roll of her eyes told Yunho that she had not bought it.

Yunho lifted the paper on his table and groaned when he saw the document was annotated heavily in Nicole's messy scrawl. What were his legal team doing when they set out this document. Yunho had half the mind in firing his entire legal team after he settled this mess.

There were only the scratching sound of the pencil against paper as the two of them regressed into their work seriously.

"Yunho?" Nicole breathed heavily.

"Hmm?" The CEO hummed, head still deep in the document.

"Yunho, there's a spider." Nicole's voice trembled slightly.

"Leave it, or sweep it off."

"I have Arachnophobia."

"." Yunho looked up to see his usually composed junior shaking in her seat. A tiny spider was crawling merrily on her dress shirt.

"Don't move, Nicole." Yunho instructed as he got round the table and stood before the lady.

"Yunho, quick, quick." Nicole rasped sharply as the arachnid climbed even higher.

She froze when the spider slipped under her dress shirt from between the buttons. Her face was a deathly shade of white.

"Take. It. Off." She whispered harshly.

"Wha-What?" Yunho raised his hands up.

"You're gay, I don't care. Get it off!" Nicole's short breaths warned Yunho that she was on the brink of hyperventilation.

With trembling fingers, Yunho clumsily divested her off her shirt. Was this some retribution for not contacting Jaejoong at all for the black spider was resting on the cup of a very black lacy bra.

"Umm... It's on your bra, Nicole."

Beads of perspiration dotted on her forehead and neck as Nicole fought to succumb to her phobia. "Pick it off."

Yunho gritted his teeth and reached forward. His fingers were millimetres away from the spider when the double doors to his office burst open.

"Yunho-yah."

The tension in the room grew thick in an instant. Yunho jumped far from Nicole and looked at Jaejoong helplessly. A half-dressed woman was sitting on one of the chairs, her chest brazenly shown. Her face was pale with fear but Jaejoong saw it as guilt.

Silence had never felt so stifling. His chest hurt so much that he could hardly breathe. Jaejoong's thin frame shook from his rugged breaths as he concentrated on keeping his lungs working.  Yunho seemed to be speaking to him, but he could hear nothing. It was as if he was watching a silent movie. A horror silent movie.

His head was light and spinning and his vision brightened. He had not a wink of sleep for the last two days and his last meal was just two pieces of digestive biscuits some fourteen hours ago. And they were finally getting into him. The lunch bag was dropped unceremoniously on the floor, long forgotten, and Jaejoong clenched his fists. He was not going to faint. He was not going to appear weak in front of that man. Cold hands wrapped around his forearm and Jaejoong jerked away from his hold reflexively.

"Don't touch me."

It was a quiet whisper but Yunho retracted his hands in flash as if he was scalded.

"Jaejoong, wait!" Yunho chased after the model as Jaejoong ran out of the room.

"Yunho!" Nicole screeched from behind.

The conflicted CEO stood at the doorway, not knowing what to do next.

Fervent prayers left the trembing lips of Jaejoong as he prayed for the lift to remain at his level. He sprinted towards it when the glass box was still open.

"Jaejoong, wait!" Yunho repeated over and over again as he quickly snatched the spider off Nicole and sprinted towards Jaejoong. He was one step away from the lift when he finally caught sight of his lover's tear-streaked face and stopped in his tracks. Taking the opportunity, Jaejoong jabbed at the door close button furiously. The doors to the lift shut close with a resounding thud and descended quickly.

Yunho stared at the lift helplessly. The haunted stare of Jaejoong's shook him.There was no anger, no sadness, only emptiness.

It took all of Jaejoong to not collapse in the lift then and there. With trembling hands, he slid his shades onto his face, covering his eyes and the stubborn tears that refused to stop. Without any a backward glance, Jaejoong staggered out of the lift, out of the building and out of that man's life.

 

 

 

 

"The number you have called is currently unavailable. Please try again later."

Yunho rubbed his face tiredly. That was the twenty-ninth time he had called Jaejoong, and for twenty-nine times he had heard the exact same recording. The lunchbag that Jaejoong had dropped sat mockingly on his cluttered table. He spun in his swivel chair and stared out of his ceiling to floor glass wall. The night sky was clear and the stars were a shimmering splatter. It was a complete contrast to his thoughts.

He was a complete mess. After sending Nicole to the hospital for getting into shock, he was unproductive for the rest of the day. He could hardly pay attention to the meetings that he went to and the paper work that he was supposed to finish by the end of the day was still in a mountainous pile on his table.

To say Yunho was tired was an understatement. He could feel the weariness in his bones. He knew that what Jaejoong saw was easily misunderstood but he also knew that Jaejoong was never one to jump to conclusions rashly. He could not understand what was wrong with him. He was aware that he had been ignoring his lover. However, they were unintentional. He was already trying his best in trying to clear his work as fast as possible, to the extent of spending his night in the office, so that he could hopefully spend the whole of next week with Jaejoong. And what did he get in the end? Twenty-nine unanswered calls.

The sudden ringing of his phone surprised the young man and he fumbled for the device. Jaejoong's name flashed across the screen. His fingers instinctively wanted to swipe to answer the call, but his anger got the better out of him. So now that Jaejoong wanted to speak to him, why should he answer it? He gave in in the end. Nothing good will come out if he ignored the call.

"Hello?"

"Yunho." Yunho was immediately on his feet. It was a man's voice, but it was not Jaejoong's.

"Who is this? What did you do to Jaejoong?!" Yunho questioned harshly. He totally disregarded the fact that the caller knew him, based on the fact that he was calling out his name.

"Relax. It's me, Changmin."

"Changmin?"

"Yes, that's me."

"Why are you using Jaejoongie's phone?"

"Oh, that. Can you come over here, please?"

"Why are you using his phone?"

"Come over here and you'll know the answer." Changmin's cryptic reply did not sit well with the vexed man.

"I'm in no mood to play with you, Changmin."

A deep sigh was heard from the other end of the line. "Jaejoongie hyung is drunk now."

"Drunk? I'm not falling for whatever tricks you are trying to pull. Jaejoongie does not get drunk."

"How do you think I am able to call you using his phone? You know his phone is the next most precious thing after you." Yunho faltered as Changmin unknowingly twisted the imaginary arrow deeper into his heart.

"I'll be there in five," and Yunho hung up.

Changmin sighed and placed Jaejoong's phone on the table. He took a swig from his beer bottle and gazed at the man beside him. He had gotten a call from Jaejoong in the evening wanting to have a drink with him. Despite having three deadlines at his heels, Changmin pushed everything away and agreed. Jaejoong sounded cheery and normal over the line, but Changmin knew better. Jaejoong never liked being a burden to others, he always made sure to cover up his negative feelings and putting up a false front. The more perfect a facade he carried, the worst he felt. And Changmin was right. From the moment they met at the quiet bar, Jaejoong had remained silent. No matter how much Changmin tried to pry, the model's lips remained sealed.

The designer was frustrated. It was clear that Jaejoong was suffering and yet he refused to say anything. What's the point of calling him out then! The intelligent man had an inkling that Jaejoong's current state had something to do with Yunho, seeing as how Jaejoong had been ignoring his calls from the start.

Changmin had not realised that Jaejoong was drunk until he became aware of the little differences in Jaejoong's behaviour. It was a slight change initially, and it quickly snowballed. Changmin could only hope that Yunho was able to handle a drunk Jaejoong. He was having trouble keeping up with the intoxicated man, seeing as how he was still getting over the shock that Jaejoong was indeed drunk. And he really need to get back to his office before the deadlines take his life.

He had hesitated in contacting Yunho as he had his suspicion of Yunho being the source of Jaejoong's sorrow. But Changmin was a firm believer of directly facing any difficulties head on. Knowing Jaejoong's personality, he was sure that the man had not confronted Yunho at all. Changmin could only hope that he made a right choice as he continued drinking his beer.

 

 

 

 

The door to the private room opened and Yunho stepped in. Changmin was looking at him, with a beer bottle to his lips, looking a little surprised. His almond eyes swept through the dim room and found his boyfriend sitting quietly at a corner, swirling a wine glass. He raised a brow at the somewhat normal appearance of his lover. When Changmin insisted that Jaejoong was drunk, Yunho's mind conjured different scenarios of what kind of drunk Jaejoong could be. The speedometer of his sports car inched steadily when the thought that Jaejoong might be the kind who stripped and kissed anybody in his view when drunk.

Changmin shook his head and patted the seat at the other side of him. Yunho grunted and sat beside him.

"You said he was drunk."

"Watch," Changmin instructed before turning away to face Jaejoong.

"Hyung."

"Oh, Changmin-ahhhhhhhh~ My favouritest person on earth!" Jaejoong greeted.

"Shouldn't that be Yunho?"

"Who's that? I don't know him. But I know someone called y lover. That guy loves s a lot. s. You know what s are? They are two lumps of fat-"

"Hyung, I know what s are. The correct term is s."

"But s sounds cuter. You know I modelled with a half- model once, and she was trying to rub her s on my amazing body. Can you believe the atrocity of her s. Like her s on my body. I immediately went for a full body scrub right after it ended. And I think the man who scrubbed my body was a fan of mine, because he paid so much attention to my body. I think I should make another appointment with him. He's really good with his hands. Oh no, I don't have his number. Ah wait, I think Junsu have it...." Jaejoong continued his monologue in a childish lisp.

Yunho stared at his lover in wonderment. He knew that Jaejoong was talkative in nature, but this was over. It was not the fact that he was speaking non-stop, but the rate at which his brain derailed confused Yunho very much. He had a hard time trying to keep up with the tattling man.

"Hyung, are you drunk?"

"No, I'm not drunk. How can you ask people if they are drunk. Goodness me, you really are rude. Do you want me to wash your mouth with soap? Yeah, I think I should. Now, where did I put my soap. Oh, you know, I bought a new brand of soap last week. It smells so good you know. It smells like Yunho- y lover, I mean. But I'm thinking of buying new soap. What should I buy? Should I buy roses? Oh my god, what if I start attracting butterflies and bees. Butterfly! I know of a song called Butterfly!..." And Jaejoong started singing Butterfly in his most deadpan voice, complete with the childish lisp.

"Oh look, Jaejoongie hyung, wine." Changmin pointed at Jaejoong's wine glass.

"Ohhhh, wine!" Just like a toddler, Jaejoong forgot about Changmin and immediately squatted in front of the glass. He stared transfixedly at the glass. Carefully, he lifted the glass by the stem and drank.

"This is good wine," Jaejoong commented. He reclined back on the sofa and slowly swirled the glass. It was peaceful again.

"What are you doing! Feeding a drunk more wine!" Yunho whispered harshly, not wanting to disturb Jaejoong.

"My ears and sanity comes first," Changmin stated firmly. "What happened, Yunho?"

"Nothing happened," Yunho clenched his jaws.

"How happy Jaejoong must be to get so drunk," Changmin retorted sarcastically.

"How did he even managed to get drunk?" Yunho ignored Changmin's bait.

"Forty-eight hours without sleep, fourteen hours without food and a broken heart. It's would be a miracle if he's not intoxicated," Changmin listed, a challenging glint in his eyes.

Yunho's jaws clenched. At first, he was annoyed at Jaejoong confiding to Changmin so easily. But he quickly realised that that was not the situation. It seems as though Changmin was trying to get the situation out by baiting him. The tense atmosphere persisted until the intoxicated model broke it.

"Who are you?"

Both men turned around to see Jaejoong looking at Yunho confusedly.

"Hyung, he's Yunho. Are you that drunk to not even recognise your boyfriend?"

"Yunho? Who's that. I only know y lover and he's a bad man, he's a very bad man. I don't like him anymore." The grave tone was a juxtaposition against Jaejoong's childish pronunciation. "But I like you, so I shall call you Yunnie!"

With that, Jaejoong chucked his wine glass aside and proceeded to crawl across Changmin to get to Yunho.

"Watch where you're pressing, hyung!" Changmi growled when Jaejoong's hand landed too near his crotch for comfort.

"Ahhh, this is much better," Jaejoong sighed as he curled into Yunho's laps. The CEO's arms wound around him automatically.

"You don't like Yunho anymore?" Yunho asked quietly.

Jaejoong shook his head, his tresses tickling Yunho's chest where the buttons were opened. Not looking at Yunho, Jaejoong picked at the man's shirt's buttons.

"Why don't you like him anymore?"

Jaejoong crinkled his nose.

"He's mean. He didn't talk to me."

"He must have been busy to chat with you. But I'm sure he misses you a lot."

"I misses him more. But he was busy with a woman. A woman with s. Big s." Jaejoong stretched out his hands and curled and uncurled his fingers, as if he were actually squeezing. "I didn't know Yunho likes s. I'm pretty flat, aren't I?" He pouted despondently as he pulled at his shirt's collar and peeked at his chest.

Changmin frowned at Jaejoong. The model was well known for his four-dimensional thinking, but this was way over his usual track of mind. It was as if the alcohol had unlocked an whole new part of Jaejoong's brain. He was honestly surprised when he saw Yunho unfazed at the amazing words his lover was sprouting. He was really quick to adapt to Jaejoong's quirks.

Changmin left the room silently. If he were to stay any longer, he would seriously loose his mind. And he trusted Yunho. The couple was so wrapped up in their own bubble that they did not hear the door shut.

"That woman is just a friend of his. There was nothing between them," Yunho started to explain.

"She told me I was disturbing their sweet time together." Yunho raised a brow. He was sure that Jaejoong was exaggerating things. Nicole would never use words like sweet. But he would not put past that woman to have told Jaejoong off.

"I bet they cuddle and kiss and hug each other on that stupid sofa in the office every minute. I'm going to burn that sofa."

"Okay."

"I was thinking of getting a maroon coloured sofa instead. There's too many black in his office. It's depressing."

"But I like black."

"No, no. No more black. Maroon." Jaejoong wagged his finger in the negative.

"Sure," Yunho conceded.

"Wait, why am I thinking of re-doing his office. I hate him now!"

"You don't seem to hate him."

"I hate him! I'm trying to hate him now!" Jaejoong leaned away from Yunho to look earnestly at him.

"Why are you trying to hate him if you aren't."

"Because I was hurt."

Defeat, anguish and hurt were written all over Yunho's face as he gazed at his lover. When they had gotten together, Yunho had made a mental pact to never hurt Jaejoong but it seemed like he was doing a poor job at it. Looking at the lost look of Jaejoong's twisted his heart excruciatingly painful.

Jaejoong's orbs grew glassy and Yunho pulled him into his arms, pressing his face into his chest. He clenched his eyes hard and wrapped his arms tighter around the model as he felt him tremble under his sobs.

"You smell good. Like the soap I bought," he exhaled sleepily once his cries subsided.

Yunho looked at the precious bundle in his arms.

"Shall we go home?"

Jaejoong nodded his head but quickly shook it.

"No, I don't want to see Yunho."

"I see. Shall we go back to my house?"

"Does your house have a bed?"

"Yes, I do. Why?"

"I want to sleep on the bed."

"Of course, the bed will be yours. Let's go home."

"Sure," Jaejoong murmured and finally succumbed to sleep.

Yunho placed a kiss on Jaejoong's crown tenderly and slowly left the room, Jaejoong secured in his arms.