Strawberry Lipbalm

Snatches and Snippets

Summary: When Yunho became a babysitter.

 

 

 

It was a rare sight in front of him. Because he usually would be amongst these people, he had not notice how superficial most of those people were. Jaejoong grimaced at a particularly fake smile a scantily clad woman had while chatting with an obese middle-aged man. Girl, not lady, Jaejoong corrected. He would not put past the young girl for using the man to pull herself up in the industry. The girl was far too young, far too ambitious. He continued to observe her with his icy blue orbs. He had seen too many scenarios of these. They were like shooting stars. Very bright while they lasted, but never for long.

The striking man scrunched his nose at why he was at the party. He did not have the intention of attending the party when he received the invitation. But here he was, a little out of place, ironically, leaning against the bar counter away from others. Parties used to be his thing. It was fish to water. And he would be one of those who drank and danced their merry way around. Jaejoong looked at the flute of champagne in his hand. He had it since the start of the party and the flute was still very full. It was helpful though. The flute discouraged any of his acquaintances from shoving him anymore drinks.

A group of ladies, not very far away from him, was chattering amongst themselves. Jaejoong smirked. Those slanty eyes and side glances were too obvious for him to know that they were talking about him. He left them to be though, not in the mood for any flirting.

A slight movement caught his attention and he cursed under his breath when he realized one of the chattering women was advancing upon him. The woman was seductive, Jaejoong conceded. As his eyes followed the enticing sway of her hips, he started to formulate ways to avoid or reject the bold lady.

“You’ve been very quiet the whole night long.”

And you haven’t stop talking the whole night long too. Before Jaejoong could give a more politically correct reply, his phone vibrated.

“Sorry,” he nodded towards her as he took his phone out from the inside of his blazer. The women sulked and went back to her friends, not before throwing a glare at him. Jaejoong rolled his eyes at the childishness.

Yunho-yah. Jaejoong raised a brow.

“What’s up?”

“You are not at home.”

Jaejoong frowned. Yunho actually sounded disappointed at him.

“Yeah. I’m outside. Anything’s wrong?”

“Ummm… Not really, just that Mr White Shirt and Pants is staring at me like I’m some kind of a burglar. I mean come on, I’m too handsome to be a burglar. Plus-“

“Are you at my house right now? And stop calling my neighbours names, Yunho!”

“Where are you?” Yunho avoided the question.

“Just outside buying some stuff. Get in the house. It’s too cold to be standing out there for long. I’m on my way home now,” Jaejoong instructed.

“Okay.”

Jaejoong slipped the phone back into his pocket and emptied his flute of champagne in a single shot. He grimaced at the taste of it and put it on the counter top. The champagne had lost its bubbles and it tasted horrible without it. Without a backward glance, Jaejoong was soon out of the hall.

 

 

 

 

Yunho paced around the living hall nervously, eyes never leaving a bundle that he brought along with him on the sofa. He hoped that Jaejoong would be able to take in his circumstances well. But then again, Jaejoong is the queen of all drama queens and Yunho winced when he recalled that one big tantrum Jaejoong threw when he realized that Changmin had been sneaking into pubs with the help of Yoochun (who else, seriously). Changmin was not even of legal age then, and the fuss the band umma made had Changmin crying and groveling on his knees for forgiveness.

The slam of the door reminded Yunho of the gravity of his current situation.

Swiveling on his heels, Yunho turned to greet his best friend.

“You weren’t out buying stuff,” Yunho commented at the sight of the formal wear Jaejoong was sporting.

“I happen to like wearing a full suit while shopping at the supermarket,” Jaejoong rebutted, a little annoyed at Yunho’s comment. The least Yunho could do was to be appreciative of him leaving the party early for him. Not like he wanted to be there actually, and Yunho gave him the perfect excuse to leave the stuffy place, but that was not the case now.

A shrill cry broke the rather tense air. Jaejoong looked around confusedly, not knowing where or how there was a crying sound, made by a baby, in his house. Yunho hurried over to the sofa and picked up something from within the bundle.

“You have a baby.” It was not even a question at all as Jaejoong pointed a finger at the child.

“Now before you jump into conclusions, this girl is not mine,” Yunho clarified urgently, knowing how imaginative his friend could get at times.

“Oh.” It was not the cleverest respond, Jaejoong admitted on hindsight.

“Stop looking like a child walking on his parents having , and help me soothe her!”

Jaejoong immediately propelled forward and took the crying girl, all the while giving Yunho the weird look. Yunho’s similes and metaphors could leave one so baffled so many a times.

Although Jaejoong was a little apprehended of having a baby of unknown origins in his house, a look at her dispersed all doubts. With tears clung precariously on her long lashes, the baby girl gave Jaejoong one of the gummiest smile he had ever seen. She was a toddler, and Jaejoong concluded that she was no more than two years old.

“Hello, beautiful. What’s your name?” he cooed at the little beauty in his arms.

The little girl stopped sniffling and looked at him. Yunho did a small victory dance when he finally found someone the toddler liked.

“I’m Princess. Are you a princess too?” She asked innocently. The man was pretty. Even prettier than her umma, she decided.

A rich chucked filled the living room as Jaejoong laughed. The little girl bounced in his arms as she felt the vibrations from Jaejoong’s chest and giggled. She liked this man a lot. More than Mr Small Face at least.

“No, Princess, I’m not a princess. I’m a prince!”

The little girl, or rather Princess, lit up upon hearing Jaejoong’s words.

“Are you going to save me from evil Mr Small Face?” The innocent inquiry tickled the lead singer as he laughed loudly. Princess decided that she loved his laughter. A lot.

 

 

 

 

“Whose child is this?” Jaejoong asked as the three of them settled comfortably at the sofa, with Princess cuddling on his chest.

“My new manager hyung’s. He has some marital problems with his wife and he begged me to look after her while he iron some things out with his wife,” Yunho replied honestly in Japanese, fearing that the beautiful toddler might catch some words.

Jaejoong nodded his heads as he looked at the clumsy fingers of the toddler trying to his dress shirt. For every button she undid, Jaejoong would button it up again. The little minx actually glared at him and swatted his hands away the third time he buttoned his shirt again. The seriousness on her face had Jaejoong smiling away.

“Why did you come here then?” he asked as he turned towards Yunho.

The leader threw his arms into the air in despair as he recalled the reason why, despite the unreasonably cold weather outside, chose to go to Jaejoong instead of just staying at his dorm.

 

 

 

It was lucky that Shinhye, the toddler’s real name (You didn’t think that her parents really named her Princess, did you?), took an instant liking to Yunho when her father dumped her unceremoniously in his arms. He spoke a few gruff words with the idol and left hurriedly. The next few minutes were silent as Shinhye and Yunho stared and blinked at each other. And Yunho found himself falling for the fuji-appled cheeks of the toddler.

It was fine for the first hour where Yunho pretend to be her prince charming and save her from an elaborate ‘castle’ built on his bed, until Changmin returned home, arms full of post-valentines chocolates.

The bratty little girl demanded the sweet treats and Changmin, being Changmin, refused her flat out and stalked out of the room. The inexperienced baby sitter panicked as Shinhye did not seem to be backing down from her cries any moment. He left the room to find the culprit, hoping that the chocolates would soothe the irate baby. The two idols fought immaturely in Changmin’s room; one attacking ruthlessly for the chocolate, the other defending bravely of his belongings. In the end, Yunho managed to snatch one bar of kitkat and the offending look of triumph on his face caused Changmin to land a brutal punch on his biceps.

The leader skipped to his room merrily, happy to have gotten the chocolate despite his hurting arm. However, his smile disappeared the moment he entered his room. Shinhye gave him her toothiest smile, but Yunho was too blinded to notice it. His bambi, his daughter…. He threw the kitkat away as he scooped the deer plushie from the toddler. He almost fainted when he saw the extent of injuries of his bambi. Not one, not two, but three tic-tac-toes were drawn haphazardly onto the deer. He glared at the beaming toddler, with the godforsaken sharpie in her hand. Shinhye, realizing that Yunho was angry at her, starting crying. This time though, Yunho stood at the bedside watching her cry, feeling too heartbroken about his bambi to comfort the writer. (A person who does graffiti is called a writer, apparently.)

The maknae, who was still smarting over his loss, glared viciously at his closed door as the piercing cries assaulted his ears. Unable to take it anymore, he stomped towards Yunho’s room.

“Can you do something about it? HYUNG?” Changmin shouted when he saw Yunho just staring at the crying girl.

Yunho handed the deformed plushie over wordlessly and Changmin wanted to strangle his leader then and there. Walking towards a closet, he threw open the doors and revealed an entire shelf stuffed with bambis. There were gifts of fans ever since they knew that the leader of DBSK loves bambi. There were so many of the deer plushies that Changmin had to secretly donate some of it to orphanages, especially the more disturbing ones. Like that one bambi wearing a bikini. Changmin shuddered at the thought of the haunting deer.

“Look at all the clones here! Just throw that one away and replace it,” Changmin instructed.

“But this bambi is my favourite because-“

“Of Jaejoong’s perfume on it. Just get Jaejoong to spray his whatever branded perfume on it then!”

Yunho lighted up at the thought.

“Now could you shut the baby up?” The maknae pointed at the sniffling baby exasperatedly.

Yunho crawled towards Shinhye. But for every step he made, Shinhye would move backwards. When Yunho finally had her in his arms, the toddler squawked and struggled until he let her go.

“Such a beautiful but petty baby,” Yunho narrowed his eyes at Shinhye when he realized that the girl liked him no more. Shinhye turned her head away in response.

Since neither Changmin nor Yunho could get near the toddler without her sounding like a tortured cat, they needed to get someone to help them take care of the fussy girl.

“Your mother, Yunho. She’s experienced,” the glutton suggested.

“And my dad will think that she’s my illegitimate child and skin me alive before I have the chance to explain otherwise,” Yunho countered.

“I like that.”

“I knew you have a sadistic streak in you.”

“Touché, hyung.”

They looked at the snoring toddler.

“Jaejoong hyung.”

Yunho cocked his head. “Why him?”

“He has nephews and nieces, so that should make him rather experienced with kids, I hope. And he’s pretty.”

“What has him being pretty got to do with taking care of Shinhye?”

“Baby likes pretty faces. It’s the truth. Go google about it if you are unconvinced,” Changmin explained. When Yunho still did not look convinced, Changmin continued,” You can get him to spray his scent on your new bambi.”

“That’s a wonderful idea!”

 

 

 

 

Shinhye was bored. Mr Prince and Mr Small Face were still talking and she had undone all the buttons of the shirt. She pushed the lapels of the shirt aside and saw words. She stared at the weird blue lines on the chest and traced lightly at the curls and swirls of the tattoos. Her eyes gleamed when she saw tiny goosebumps forming after her touch. As her finger follow the continual lines, something sparkly caught her eyes. It was a small little circle and it was cold to the touch. Excitedly, she leaned forward to on it.

Jaejoong straightened up when he felt something his . He looked down quickly to see Shinhye animatedly. He immediately pulled the little toddler away and contorted his face when the little minx pulled his piercing a little too hard.

“Stripping me and my piecing. That’s not how a princess should behave!” Jaejoong mock scolded at the baby who was still at an arm’s length apart. Shinhye took no notice of the berating as she stretched her chubby hands forward, wanting to pull the shiny little circle again.

 

 

 

 

Shinhye was plopped onto Jaejoong’s bed and she immediately rolled around on the smooth sheets. Her girlish giggles had Vick perked up, who was stoning at the corner of the room. Ignoring his owner and Yunho, he jumped onto the bed and started sniffing at the strange object.

“I didn’t know Vick was here,” Yunho commented as he casted a wary eye on the big giant as it continued sniffing Shinhye.

“He thinks he’s a statue these days,” Jaejoong replied from his walk in closet.

“Awww, they love each other,” Jaejoong cooed as he saw Shinhye cuddling Vick when he stepped out.

“Is it okay?” Yunho’s paranoia surfaced.

“You know Vick as well as me. That silly dog wouldn’t even help me kill a cockroach last week. I had to call pest control,” the lead singer ranted.

“You call the pest control because of a cockroach.” Yunho tried to keep his voice level, knowing that he probably would get a black eye if Jaejoong even caught wind of his innuendo.

“There were two cockroaches. Two flying cockroaches!”

Yunho nodded his head as if two flying cockroaches are the scariest thing on Earth.

“I’m hungry. Want ramyun?”

“Starving. But is it okay to leave her alone?” Yunho wondered.

“Look, she would not even notice that we’re gone,” Jaejoong pointed out. The little toddler had started her own game of catching Vick’s tail and the lazy Great Pyrenees simply laid on the bed, swishing his tail to Shinhye’s delight.

 

 

 

 

Vick was a little bored. The baby was no longer trying to catch his tail but had snuggled rather comfortably on him. He did not mind the extra weight and she smelt rather nice, all milk and baby powder. But he wanted to play with her. And he just got the perfect thing for her. Getting up from the bed, Vick jumped off the bed and trotted towards Jaejoong’s dressing table. Swiping a black pouch off it, he picked it up with his mouth and returned to the bed. Shinhye sat on her bottom as she watched the dog struggling with the zipper of the pouch. After much effort, the mischievous dog finally ped the pouch and his tail thumped the bed excitedly. The contents in the pouch rolled onto the bed and the toddler watched on fascinatedly. Vick sniffed around the spilled make up products and nosed a white tube towards Shinhye.

When Shinhye made no attempt to pick it up, Vick nudged her on her legs, eyes imploring. It was as though the little girl understood Vick as she picked up the white casing. She put it to her nose and let out a delightful squeal. It was strawberry, her favourite! Vick watched on, happy that she liked his favourite toy.

 

 

 

 

The two ravenous men were slurping their ramyun nosily. Specks of soup dotted the white marble top but the two of them paid no heed. With twin appreciative groans, they slammed the empty bowls onto the table.

“That was satisfying,” Yunho commented as he used his hands to wipe his lips. Jaejoong grimaced and threw him some tissues in his face.

Jaejoong slid down his seat and rested his head on the backrest of the chair. Patting his filled stomach, he frowned at the general direction of his room.

“Is it just me or are Shinhye and Vick awfully quiet upstairs.”

That got Yunho sprinting towards the room.

 

 

 

The tall man was a tad stupefied as he stood at the doorway to the master’s bedroom. Shinhye’s lips were reddish and she seemed to be munching on….

“JAEJOONG, OH MY GOD. SHINHYE IS EATING YOUR LIP BALM. CALL THE AMBULANCE NOW!” Yunho roared as he tried to wrestle the lip balm away from the toddler.

Shinhye was having none of it as she held to the tube with a death grip. Even Vick was preventing Yunho getting close to her by putting himself between the girl and the furious man. Yunho swore under his breath as he sees portions of the lip balm disappear into the toddler’s mouth.

“Why is she still having the lip balm?” Jaejoong questioned when he finally arrived at his room.

“See.”

Yunho leaned forward to tug on the casing and Shinhye shrieked instantaneously. Vick was growling at his feet. When he removed his hands, Shinhye immediately stopped shrieking and Vick laid his head back on the bed.

“Princess,” Jaejoong called out.

Shinhye looked up, prompting Vick to look up as well. The two of them shared a sly smile and Shinhye rested her head on Vick, all while chewing on the lip balm. The owner of the lip balm gave the stink eye to his dog for influencing the little minx. Jaejoong sent a quick prayer to the future boyfriends of the mischievous toddler.  Just a smile and he was all gooey. What would happen when she grows older!

He sighed and sat down on his bed. Patting the huge dog, the lead singer shrugged at his leader.

“Is it possible to die from consumption of lip balm?” Yunho asked.

“Not this lip balm. This is food grade lip balm.” The blonde responded, looking longingly at his expensive lip balm.

“Food grade?”

“Yeah. Vick developed this horrible habit of eating my lip balm and he had already gone to the vet twice because of this. The vet suggested that it would be easier to switch to food grade lip balm than to stop him from eating. This one’s my favourite. It’s strawberry.”

Yunho leaned forward and took a deep whiff of the infant. Shinhye did indeed smell very strongly of strawberry.

The grown men sat on the bed and watched the little girl devoured the lip balm to her heart’s content.

 

 

AN: Aloha peeps! I hope this extra long update could compensate for the lack of updates. And I hope you like this one-shot. As usual, comments are VERY much appreciated. HAHAHAHAHAHHA. The thick-skinned author is here.