Tiffany's Second Key [2/3]

Snatches and Snippets

AN: Heh.... I overwrote again... The third part will be out... Soon... I hope....

 

 

 

“Thank you for your help,” Jaejoong gritted out, voice laced with thick sarcasm. He slammed the phone harshly back to its cradle.

The front desk was of no help at all. Jaejoong knew that it was partly his fault; he was bordering rude, he was aware. But he paid $2,000 per night for his suite at Four Seasons, thus uninterrupted supply of water should be a given. He was in the midst of his shower when the water source was cut off abruptly.

Imagine pampering yourself with a rich, foamy soap and was about to rinse off the strawberry-scented bubbles, when there was no water at all. Jaejoong was stunned for a moment for this had never happened to him before. He flipped the tap up and down, swung it left and right, but the shower head refused to let the water out. Jaejoong was so desperate that the tap was nearly jerked out of its hold.

Jaejoong ruffled his hair in frustration. He pulled the bathrobe that was hanging at the side and tied it tight against his wet and soapy body. The model stomped towards the phone and tapped his foot impatiently as he waited for the call to get through.

In the end, the front desk informed him that the water supply to his room would only resume after three hours due to some maintenance issue. They insisted that there were no available rooms for him to make use of the en-suite toilet. Jaejoong was doubtful that such a huge hotel had no free rooms, but who was he to argue otherwise. The front desk helpfully supplied that he could make his way to the public toilet attached to its swimming pool. Jaejoong never wanted to strangle anybody so badly before.

A quick call to Junsu found the man roaming the streets to buy a few souvenirs back. He was not going to the public toilet that’s for sure. He was reluctant to borrow a bathroom from any of the crew that had flew with him. This was the first time that Jaejoong had worked with them and the thought of getting in a room with them with just a bathrobe on him did not sit well with him at all.

That just left one person. Jaejoong stomped his foot in a bout of childishness. He did not want to see the rude man ever again, not to mention getting a favour from him. But he was at his wits end. The soap had started to dry up and Jaejoong felt so uncomfortable and itchy all over. It was either putting his pride away or suffer from a bad case of dried soap.

The door opened slightly and the bathrobe-clad model surveyed the nearly empty corridor. There was only three units at his floor. A couple, probably newly-weds judging from the exaggerated clinginess both exercised, left their suite and entered the lift. Jaejoong waited for the lift to descend before making his way to the other suite.

A hand was brought up to knock on the mahogany door, but was quickly dropped to the side. Jaejoong then paced in circles on the plush carpet. He stopped abruptly and raised a fist towards the door. The same hand was then quickly dropped and he resumed his pacing. This was repeated another dozen times and Jaejoong was slowly getting dizzy from all his pacing. He must have looked like a loon to the security guard viewing from the security camera feed.

 

 

 

 

Yunho groaned as he tried to sleep. His hangover was not yet over and he just wanted to sleep it off. But despite the heavy curtains drawn to block the invading sunrays, Yunho just could not sleep at all. The scene before was akin to being played on a broken recorder, as it repeated over and over again in his head. He did not know why he was feeling just a tiny bit guilty. He had not spoken anything. Rather Jaejoong was the one who said it. But his conscience reminded him that he did think of the man that way. Even though he did not say anything, his actions and behavior insinuated otherwise.

Yunho threw the covers over his head when three knocks was sounded from the door. With a groan, the young CEO cradled his crown gingerly and answered the door. Dressed in nothing but a bathrobe, Jaejoong blinked at him. Yunho thought Jaejoong of an easily frightened woodland animal, eyes wide and blinking at him. Well, prima facie at least. His face darkened significantly when his brain supplied different reasons as to why the half-dressed man was in front of him. And right at the top was Jaejoong trying to get close to him to pull himself higher up the social ladder. Yunho was definitely not going to let Jaejoong exploit him.

“Yes?”

Jaejoong jerked back in surprise at the rather angry voice.

“Ah… Umm…”

Yunho frowned as he leaned on the door frame. He raked his eyes slowly across the delectable male in front of him, wondering how did the man managed to make such an unappealing bathrobe so y. He had to admit that Jaejoong was appealing, if not for his unsavoury ways with people.

Jaejoong blushed angrily, with embarrassment mixed in, when he caught Yunho checking him out. He cleared his throat meaningfully and watched those almond eyes flicked back to his face.

“Look, I know this sounds ridiculous. Even I think it’s ridiculous. Know that if there’s any other solutions, I would have happily taken them but no. There isn’t. That’s why… May I use your bathroom please? The water supply to mine got cut off.” Jaejoong’s face was filled with reluctance and embarrassment. He winced as his tone came off much harder than he wanted to.

Yunho cocked an eyebrow at the rather unfortunate experience. Or the novelty of the excuse if Jaejoong did made it up.

At that moment, a soft melody sounded from the lift area as it announced the arrival of a lift. As if on slow motion, the double doors slid open inch by inch. With an undignified squeak, Jaejoong pushed his way into Yunho’s room and ran straight into the bathroom, all the way apologizing profusely throughout.

Yunho watched as a cleaning staff stepped out of the lift carriage and entered the suite that was not Jaejoong’s. He then stepped back and shut the door. Stopping in front of the toilet, Yunho heard the stream of water hitting against the tiled floor.

He had no intention of associating with Jaejoong any further, lest of all letting him use the bathroom. He was still baffled over why he even answered the door. He was even more confused over how Jaejoong managed to get to his toilet at all. But the model was in the toilet, and Yunho was raised as a gentleman by his parents. Thus, he would not be that heartless to chase the man out. Sitting heavily on the soft bed, Yunho prayed to all gods and deities above that Jaejoong would leave him alone and forever once he was done using the toilet.

 

 

 

 

 

Jaejoong sighed satisfactorily as the dried and harden suds on his body was finally rinsed off his body. Swinging the glass door outwards, the cleaned and happy model stepped out of the shower cubicle. He wiped the fogged mirror and gazed at his reflection. His large doe eyes, sharp nose and a defined jaws were definitely his mother's. But his build was inherited from his dad. And thank goodness for that. His mother was one of the smallest lady he knew and he shuddered imagining if he was just 4 feet 10.

He reached over to left to grab his clothes when his hand met with an empty surface. He turned his head and slapped his head when he realised that in a fit to obtain a bathroom as quickly as possible, he had forgotten to bring his clothes alone. He pulled a new bathrobe and slipped into it. It was better than strutting out , right? Draping a towel over his still dripping wet hair, Jaejoong took a fortifying breath. What an impression he was going to leave.

The door to the hotel suite swung open the moment Jaejoong stepped out of the bathroom. The model kept his head down as he ran the tower over his wet tresses.

"Yunho, looks like you finally got lucky," Changmin whistled when he caught sight of a freshly showered, half-dressed male exiting from the bathroom. Yunho's face was pale in aghast as he realised how misconceived the situation seems to be.

Registering an extra presence in the room, Jaejoong lifted his head and saw a really tall man smiling mischievously.

"Changmin?"

"Jaejoong hyung?!?"

The young CEO's face was ashen white when he registered that they knew each other. What a small world indeed.

 

 

 

"-so I was using his toilet because my shower weren't working. That's all." Jaejoong ended his elaborate explanation of why he was caught exiting Yunho's bathroom with just a bathrobe on. He took great care in explaining to ensure that Changmin would not misunderstood the situation any further. He did not wish to tarnish his impression his friend had of him.

Meanwhile, Yunho fidgeted uncomfortably. Not once in his entire account that Jaejoong mentioned about Yunho’s negative impression towards him. Did he really misunderstood the model?

Changmin was almost howling down the hotel as Jaejoong recounted what happened the night before. But of course, such expensive suites are fitted with soundproofing, thus there was no angry phonecalls to the front desk to complain about that one particular noisy suite.

“Yunho, you actually…. Actually tried to save Jaejoong hyung from getting drunk?” The tall man choked out as he slapped the bed hard repeatedly from all the laughing. The facial muscles of Yunho twitched as he became aware of how Changmin addressed Jaejoong as his hyung but him without the honorifics.

“What’s wrong?” The tone was clipped as Yunho grew defensive.

“You tried to... To save Jaejoong hyung? Jaejong hyung, of all people?” Changmin grew slightly hysterical as he failed to keep his laughs under control.

Yunho narrowed his eyes at the insane man and Changmin immediately sobered up, as if there was a switch that controlled his emotions. When the CEO’s unyielding eyes remained trained on him, Changmin sighed.

“You know all those wines that I’ve sent to your place so often?”

Yunho nodded. Changmin was no wine connoisseur. But the wines he got for him were always so good. Just right on the dryness and the perfect balance of fruity and spicy finish.

“Well, I’ve always gotten them as recommended by Jaejoong hyung’s father. He’s a wine trader and a connoisseur at that,” Changmin added hastily when Yunho frowned.

“Ah… But what has Jaejoong’s father got to do with saving Jaejoong from getting drunk?”

“You see it has been a running joke in Jaejoong hyung’s family that his mother must have accidentally added wine into his milk formula when he was a baby for Jaejoong hyung has never gotten drunk before. In fact, it’s as if he cannot get drunk. So you trying to save him is like me trying to prevent you from getting cheated in a bad business deal.”

Yunho coloured as he registered how embarrassing he must have been in front of the alcohol expert.

“Well, Changmin’s exaggerating a little…” Jaejoong murmured shyly, trying to defuse the slightly awkward atmosphere.

“When was the last time you’ve got drunk, hyung?” Changmin pointed out.

“I haven’t been trying very hard in getting myself drunk-“

“Hyung! You had ten bottles of red, another seven of white, then a full bottle of vodka, and you were still solving away algebraic problems!” Changmin cut the modest model off. “They were Grade 7 math sums! And if you were serious in getting drunk, I fear your liver will fail before all else.”

Jaejoong shrugged.

“So what do you think of Yunho, Jaejoong hyung?” Changmin prompted.

“Wait, wait. Why do you call him hyung but absolutely refuses to call me hyung?” Yunho could not tolerate anymore. Changmin never deigned to call people that were close to his age with honorifics and Yunho had resigned himself to that fact. But to witness the brat calling someone hyung  so willingly…

“Because he’s cool and you’re not.”

Before Yunho could retort to that rude comment, Jaejoong interrupted.

“I’m more interested in what Yunho-shii thinks of me.”

Yunho gaped. The angelic Jaejoong conjured in his mind blew into pieces and a devil Jaejoong replaced.

“Well… Well… I thought he was good-looking.”

The model raised a well-trimmed brow.

Changmin looked at Yunho, taking note of the rigid posture, and he turned to look at Jaejoong who was all smiles and very relaxed. He riveted back to Yunho to see the CEO his dry lips.

“What’s going on?”

Yunho tensed visibly.

“Just spit it out,” the young architect huffed.

“Yunho thinks I’m a gold digger.”

“Thought you were,” Yunho rectified.

“Oh, what changed your mind?”

“No friends of Changmin are of that sorts. That man are too picky when making friends. And to be able to put up with his ways only further shows your character.”

“Is this a praise to Jaejoong hyung, or an indirect insult to me?”