Lay (Exo)

Oneshot Collection
✏ HOPE -- Lay (Exo) (Continued)

(A/N: A ton of you requested a continuation of the Hope oneshot I originally wrote. I must have rewrote this at least 5 times cause I wasn’t happy with it, but finally here it is.~)

 


 

“What are you thinking?” Yixing questioned you. His guitar sat in his lap as he alternated between plucking and strumming the strings, forming a somewhat melodic harmony.

You were lying on Yixing’s bedroom floor, sprawled out across the floorboards, your eyes detailing the tiny indentations on his ceiling. You listened to the beautiful notes that filled his room, one of your hands tapping on the floor along to it.

You had to count these moments with Yixing as one of your favourite things. Most of the things on your favourite things list were moments with Yixing. 

You were in love with him.

You wasn’t sure how or when you had fallen in love with Yixing, though somewhere in the back of your mind told you you had always been. Building up day by day until it hit you: you were in love with your best friend, Yixing. 

You were in love with him and there was nothing you could do to stop it. 

It made you feel elated yet miserable at the same time. 

Elated by being high off love, miserable that there was no chance he felt the same. You were best friends, nothing more.

You felt yourself sink at the thought.

Yixing watched you, waiting for your response to his question. A minute had passed and you were still fixated on the ceiling, starring at it like it told some invisible truths to the universe.

He called your name. 

You snapped out of your thoughts, leaning your head backwards to look at him. You met his gaze, staring at each without speaking a word. You felt heat begin to fill your face, pinking by the second.

“Oh .. nothing” you quickly stuttered, forcing yourself to break away and focus back on the ceiling. You the air in from your cheeks, hoping to dull the heat that was slowly filling them. 

You had looked at each other before, a million times maybe, yet recently you were becoming more and more aware of those type of moments you spent together.

Moments where you would just stare at each other, almost like you could see into each others souls, in complete comfortable silence. 

It was since you had broken up with Baekhyun that you had become more and more aware of those moments. If you could even count him as your boyfriend in the first place. You had gone on a handful of dates, a few to a local cafe, one trip to the amusement park and a study date. That was it, though with his best friend Chanyeol tagging along, you couldn’t even count them as dates. 

You were more friends than anything. Infact, you weren’t even friends. You hadn’t spoken to Baekhyun prior to Yixing being insistant that you date his friend. That you needed a boyfriend.

When you had told Yixing you had broken up with Baekhyun, you expected him to be disappointed, annoyed maybe, since he had been the one to set the pair of you up in the first place. 

Instead he had been .. relieved? Happy even?

You didn’t understand your best friend at all. 

You didn’t understand why he had been so persistant for you to date Baekhyun in the first place. You didn’t understand why he had been so persistant for you to date anything in the first place. 

You didn’t understand why Yixing didn’t ask you to date him instead. 

“We should date” you muttered in a quiet voice, your eyes almost popping out of your head when you realised you had vocally voiced your thoughts. 

, , . 

You quickly whipped up from your position, sitting on his floor crossing your legs .You bit your tongue, hoping to recall your words and pray that Yixing hadn’t heard you. 

From his actions, you knew it was too late. 

Yixing froze at your words, the acoustic sounds that came from his guitar coming to halt. It was like he had been put on pause, his actions frozen in motion. One hand hovered over the front of his guitars, like he was set to strum it. The other placed on the frets forming a chord you didn’t know the name of. 

We should date, the words repeated in his mind. We should date, they repeated again. 

You noticed Yixing’s reaction, the shock practically vibrating off of him. You could feel it, or maybe that was just your reaction.

You could almost see your entire years of friendship be flushed down the drain. You had dangerously stepped over the line of being friends into something more. Wanting to be something more, rather. 

You had to do something, anything, to fix the situation. 

You could endure a one sided love, you couldn’t endure losing your best friend because of it. 

“I mean .. ha ha, got you” you said in the most convincing tone you could muster up. You added a forced laugh to go with it, though it came out more strangled than you had planned.

You didn’t sound convincing at all, you knew that yourself.

It was almost a minute passed until Yixing finally rebooted back to life. You watched as he slowly placed his guitar on the floor at the foot of his bed before turning his attention back to you. 

“Okay” was all he said. 

Okay. 

Your eyes almost burst out of your head at his word. The single syllable word conjuring butterflies in your stomach, that swarmed and made you feel nauseous. 

Okay? What exactly did he mean, okay? Was he saying he wanted to date you. No no, that couldn’t be right. There was no chance-

You paused your running train of thought.

In slow motion you watched as Yixing moved from the edge of his bed, coming to kneel infront of you as a hand of his touched your face. The cool feeling of his fingers radiated against your cheeks that were already burning before his touch. It felt like you would wither and burn any second. 

Your faces were inches from each other, the gap between you decreasing second by second, to the point where you could feel his breathe on his face. 

“I’m going to kiss you” you heard his voice in a whisper. Was it a warning? Or was he asking permission? Either way, you were still frozen from his actions, your heart erratically pounding in your chest. 

You had no idea what was happening. You had said you wanted to date and now… this? Your brain had stopped functioning first the time being. 

”______, I’m going to kiss you” Yixing repeated himself, the sound of your name giving you some control over your body again. So he was asking permission. You managed to give him the smallest of nods. 

That was all the permission he needed. 

Slowly, the gap between the pair of you disappeared and your lips connected. Your lips moulded together almost too perfectly, his lips sending waves of bliss into your own. The pair of you were completely still at first, before experimentally pivoting your head to the bring yourself closer to him. 

Taking that as sign of encouragement, you felt Yixing move against your lips, massaging against your own. The hand that was on your cheek moved to the back of your neck, pressing you closer to him. 

Your heart beat in your chest erratically, threatening to break out of your chest any second.

Almost a minute had passed before you had to break away, the lack of oxygen making your lungs burn. You placed a hand on your chest, hoping to calm your heart and regain your breath at the same time. 

Your other hand placed your fingers on your lips, tracing over where you had kissed, the tingling sensation in them radiating into your fingers. 

Your first kiss with Yixing. Your first kiss with anyone. 

You felt like any second you would melt into a puddle and seep inbetween his floorboards.

”..You have no idea …. how long i’ve wanted … to do that” you heard Yixing rasp in between breaths. From the sight of his chest rising and falling, he was as breathless as you were.

If your cheeks could get any redder then they would have from his words.