Chapter 21

Your Eyes On Me

Sohee's POV

I turned around one more time in front of the mirror before smiling to myself. I admired how the dress I'm wearing fit me perfectly. Hayana is a really good shopping buddy. I grabbed my matching purse and about to go downstairs when my mom entered the room.

"Say, are you ready?" She smiled at me. "My daughter looks beautiful!"

I chuckled. "You're saying that because you're my mom."

"Of course, not! You really are stunning, my lady."

I blushed. "Mom!"

"Ready to go? Your date is already in the living room. He's so handsome in suit!" She giggled.

I followed my mother downstairs and was greeted by a smiling Minhyuk. I eyed him from head to toe and he looked really hot! But his eye smile is still as cute as ever. He walked towards me and offered his hand.

"If you're ready to go, I'll take you to the car now, Miss Beautiful."

I giggled at how cute he is. "Look, Minhyuk. I don't get why are you being so formal. I mean, we see each other everyday."

"Oh, Say. He probably realized how a beautiful lady you are in that dress. Right, Minnie-yah?" My mom joked as she pushed the two of us outside while my father is already waiting in the car to drive us to the hotel where the prom will be.

"Take care!" She waved at us after dad started the car engine and drove away.

I sat beside Minhyuk at the back of the car and just kept silent. I tried to remember what happened three weeks ago.

B-bomb smiled at me as he handed me a rose. I shifted my gaze to our classmates who are all watching us. Everyone, including Heota, is expecting what my answer is. 

"Sohee?" B-bomb called my name making me look back at him.

I can't do this here.

I grabbed his arm and pulled him outside the classroom towards a hallway. I looked around and checked if there are other people there. Luckily, the students are all inside their classrooms already. I stared at him for a few seconds before clearing my throat.

"B-bomb... I-I'm sorry to say this, b-but I think my answer will be n-no." I looked down.

"Is it because another guy asked you to prom already?" Before I can say anything, he continued. "Is it Heota?"

I looked at his face. "Yes."

He chuckled. A bitter chuckle.

"I get it. He's really better than me, huh?" He took my hand and gave the rose to me. "At least, take this. It's for you, anyway."

"Oh, thanks." I mumbled but enough for him to hear.

"Come on. Classes will start. We're going to be late." He walked ahead of me and followed with my head hanging low. I saw the hurt in his eyes when I said no. Is it really a big deal for him? I kept on looking at him for the rest of the class asking myself if I really had the right decision.

Yes. I chose Heota over B-bomb.

Remember the sign I was asking for? That night, I told myself: "If I'll see a bird tomorrow morning inside the house, I'll choose Heota."

My mom sometimes forgets to close the window in the kitchen, and birds will usually go inside the house since we have a small garden outside where they usually spend the night. I did not see a real bird that morning, but what I saw is another 'bird.' I thought about it and considered it as the sign I was asking for. Yes. Heota's bird.

I laughed as I remember the incident making Heota and my father look at me.

"What's funny?" My dad asked.

"Nothing." I tried to control my laughter. "Continue driving."

I looked at Heota and he raised an eyebrow.

"It's nothing, really. I just remembered something funny." I smiled at him as I shifted my gaze at the window. After a few minutes, the car stopped in front of a five-star hotel. Both of us got out of the car as we said goodbye to my father. Heota offered his arm to me and I gladly held it. He's my prom date, after all! We walked inside and was greeted by familiar faces in school. Except that everyone is dressed to the nines. 

I saw Yeonju talking to Jihoon, but I didn't want to interrupt the blossoming love they have right now so I simply walked forward with Heota. Jaehyo and Hayana are in the corner, laughing with each other while constantly looking at other people. Maybe they are judging what the others are wearing given that both of them are into fashion. I made a mental note to thank Hayana later for picking this amazing dress. I spotted Junhee at the DJ booth with Kyung. She mentioned to me that the prom committee asked her and Kyung to be the DJs for the prom. Actually, both of them are attending several extra music classes, and DJ-ing is one of their mutual hobbies. If you will ask me, they can be a cute couple. Taeil and Yukwon are talking to two girls, who look like our sunbaes who graduated from high school last year. I took another glance at the girls and recognized the one with the short hair. It's Sunhye unnie! I was about to call her when Heota talked to me.

"I found them!" He smiled at me as he gently took my hand in his and walk towards the others.

"Hey! What's up?" Jiho, who is with Hanhae and Minho, greeted us looking like he's the happiest man on earth. I glanced to his side, and no doubt... he really is! Aeri is standing beside him while his arm is wrapped around her waist. I wonder what B-bomb's reaction will be if he sees this, though. Speaking of B-bomb, I haven't seen him yet. There was a sudden tug at my heart realizing that he is nowhere to be seen.

"Sohee, are you okay?" Heota looked at me with concerned eyes.

"Uhmm... yeah." I concealed my thoughts with a fake smile and fortunately, he bought it.

The night went on. It was great being with Heota, but it felt like there is still something missing. 

After the Prom King and Queen were announced who happened to be Kris Wu and Yull, Heota left me in a seat telling me that he needs to go to the comfort room. I nodded and just waited there since my friends are all busy with their dates. I watched them from my seat and admired the two that stood out the most. They really deserved to be the Prom King and Prom Queen. Suddenly, someone pulled my arm. I looked at the person and widened my eyes.

 

 

 

 

 

 

"Nam Jihyun?"