The Friend

Way Back To Love

HeeChul stared at HanGeng from across the table. HanGeng was at the moment, obliviously sipping on a smoothie and writing in their diary in Chinese while doing so. HanGeng had dragged HeeChul out of his apartment after having HeeChul cry out an ocean in his arms. He apparently needed something to distract him.

They were now doing their first activity together, which was the reason for coming to the mall and buying HanGeng his stupid smoothie.  No one did that to the diva. No one. Especially not his seatmate. Somehow, it had happened anyway.

HanGeng glanced up, noticing HeeChul’s glare. He smiled at him, no, more like smirked at HeeChul, a gesture that made HeeChul narrow his eyes dangerously. HanGeng seemed unaffected though, and HeeChul could only marvel at the China Man.

“You know I’m doing this for us right?” he heard HanGeng’s voice ask.

His only response was to grimace at said speaker and narrow his eyes further.

“Stop, you’ll look like what the rest of the world expects Asian people to look like. All narrow-eyed,” HanGeng told him, looking up finally from the notebook where he had been writing.

“Besides, I like your eyes. They’re very pretty eyes.”

The statement was so unexpected it made HeeChul jerk back in his seat, almost managing to fall, and his eyes widened in surprise. This china man… really…

“Yup, like that. Nice and big,” HanGeng said, noticing the reaction.

“Oh, shut up and write your brush ,” he tried to hiss at HanGeng, but instead the words came out as though he was laughing.

HanGeng rolled his eyes, then went back to writing what they were doing.

“Oh, please add in Chinese, that ‘HanGeng is being a big meanie to poor Chullie.’ Please.” HeeChul emphasized, making it clear that although he said the words, he did not mean them at all.

 After HanGeng had finished writing, they went back to HeeChul’s apartment. HanGeng had not asked why HeeChul had been crying, nor why there were things scattered across HeeChul’s bed, and HeeChul had not found the strength to take the initiative to explain anything to HanGeng.

It was painful.

Too painful.

 Instead, they sat on the couch together, without speaking. HeeChul rested his head against the soft cushions and felt some of the stress drain out of his body. Tonight had been particularly emotionally exhausting, and then this HanGeng had decided to drag him out to the mall at nine in the night.

Who in their right mind did that anyway? he thought, his forehead crumpling as he questioned himself in his mind.

Which mall was still open at that time?

Soft fingers began smoothing away his frown lines and HeeChul felt some more stress fade from his body. He let himself go to the moment, and within minutes he fell asleep.

 

HanGeng saw the fatigue that traced every line of HeeChul’s body, and smiled softly. Hopefully, he would be too tired to dream about anything, or rather, anyone, tonight. Especially that person who had made him cry.

Suddenly, the diva frowned, and HanGeng’s smile disappeared. Obviously, HeeChul was not going to let himself fall asleep easily. He thought too much about everything.

Without thinking, he put his fingers to HeeChul’s forehead and began to gently massage it. The poor boy probably had the devil of a headache. HanGeng started to feel distinctly guilty about wearing him out that much.

It was for his own good.

He felt the instant HeeChul lost consciousness. He began sliding to the side, then jerking back up unconsciously. HanGeng smiled and gently rested him on the couch, shoes and all.

Walking to the bed, HanGeng put all the memorabilia that was on HeeChul’s bed into a box he found on the bed as well, then dusted out the bed, folding back the blankets like he had learned to from his mother. He picked up the unconscious diva and carried him to the bed. Pulling off HeeChul’s shoes and socks, he also relieved him of the leather jacket and the accessories HeeChul had insisted on putting on, even when he had still been drying tears from his eyes.

Diva to the very end.

The previous curiosity came back to him.

Who had HeeChul been crying over?

The things HanGeng had found on his bed, had they had something to do with it?

Picking up the open box from HeeChul’s dresser, he sat on the side of HeeChul’s bed, and sorted through the mess of things. Most of them were normal things one would expect as keepsakes: a photo, a chain, a key, a letter…

He took out the letter, and replaced the box on the dresser top. Fighting with his conscience that told him prying into others’ business was wrong, he flipped the opening of the envelope. Inside, obviously a letter.

A hand touched HanGeng’s thigh, and he jumped, a guilty expression forming on his face already. He turned to face HeeChul… who was still asleep. He was just moving in his sleep, a most normal thing to do. the hand suddenly wrapped itself around HanGeng’s thigh, snuggling into the newfound warmth.

The handwriting was neat, and slightly smaller than average. He skimmed it quickly, seeing many mentions of ‘love’ and many promises that were made.

How many of these were fulfilled? An pessimistic errant thought ran across HanGeng’s mind as he skimmed.

At the end of the letter, written after a declaration of loving HeeChul forever, were three syllables.

Kim KiBum.

Was this the reason HeeChul cried? HanGeng wondered. Who was this guy to him, what had he meant?

Suddenly feeling the effects of the long day as well, HanGeng removed HeeChul’s hands from around his thigh, he got up off the bed, replacing the letter in the envelope. The thought of putting it back into the box with all the other things completely skipped his mind.

But he swayed. The exhaustion of the day had hit him all at once, and he fell back onto the bed, next to HeeChul. As his body landed on the soft mattress, his hand lay next to HeeChul’s where HanGeng had placed it.

They slept.

 

right, fourth chapter done. for some reason, it's much harder to write this than my other fanfic, but i try my best, hope you enjoy it, and please PLEASE give it lots of love.

subscribe, comment, upvote~

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE :)