Chapter 17

Two words that can change your life....Memory Loss

The halls were quiet, but the only thing that could be heard were the beeping sounds of the machines and light whispering coming from the nurses and doctors that were outside of the waiting room.

Taeyeon had her face in her palms as there were no more tears left to cry out. She had been sitting in the waiting room crying very sad tears for almost three hours now.

The others had gone out to eat and said that they would be back soon. They asked if she wanted to tag along but she refused considering that someone she really cared for was in the hospital, and she didn’t know if he was going to survive or not.

She sat on the blue chair while letting out deep breaths as she thought about how much danger she had put Jaejoong in. She blamed herself for all of this, but she knew that if Jaejoong was there he would tell her it wasn’t her fault.

She sat up and ran her fingers through her brown hair while letting out a deep breath before getting up and walking towards the door. As she was about to turn the knob, someone from the other side got to it first. She jumped back afraid of getting hit.

“Oh, Ms. Kim.” Dr. Lee said while carefully opening the door and stepping inside of the waiting room.  

“Is he alright?” Taeyeon asked as she was trying to cut to the chase.

Dr. Lee looked at her and softly smiled. “We got the bullet out of him and he’s completely fine, but he’s very weak and he’ll be asleep for a while.”

“Like a coma?” Taeyeon asked with a voice of concern.

The doctor shook his head. “No, not that extent. He’s basically in sleep mode to regain some strength for his body. He’ll be up in a day or so.” He reassured while bringing his clipboard to his side.

“Can I go see him?” Taeyeon asked with a sense of hope. When the doctor nodded in reply, she practically ran out of the room and into Jaejoong’s.

She saw him lying on the white bed with IV fluids going into him. His wound was bandaged up and his face looked so severe. Her hand suddenly flew to as she gasped in pain from seeing Jaejoong suffer so badly.

She walked over to the side of his bed and lightly placed her hand on top of his. She never felt his hand this cold before. Her hand soon moved to his cheek. “I’m sorry.”

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

“That’s who he is!” Mr. Kim shouted while slamming his book down onto the coffee table nearby.

“What are you talking about?” Mrs. Kim questioned while looking up from her cup of tea.

“Jaejoong….he’s that little boy from the past when Taeyeon was in the hospital.” Mr. Kim got up from his seat and began searching for his car keys. “Don’t you remember? He’s the little boy who ran into her room and freaked her out since she lost her memory and couldn’t remember him.” He smacked his forehead. “No wonder they both clicked so fast and easily. They have that special bond that no one can ever break even though Taeyeon lost her memory.”

 Mrs. Kim stood up from her chair and handed her husband the car keys that was sitting on the stand next to their couch. “So what are you planning to do?”

Mr. Kim took the keys and looked down at his wife. “I have to tell Taeyeon.”

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Mr. and Mrs. Kim had reached the hospital and were now making their way up to jaejoong’s room where they knew they would find Taeyeon.

They both walked into the room and spotted her sitting on a chair while holding onto Jaejoong’s hand tightly.

She looked up and saw her parents staring back at her. She knew that they were wondering why she was holding his hand, but she could care less because she was too hurt to even care about what others think anymore.

“Taeyeon, although this isn’t the right time and place, we have to tell you something we should’ve told you a long time ago.” Mr. Kim said breaking the silence between all of them. He paused for a moment before continuing. “You’re adopted.” Taeyeon’s hand slipped off of Jaejoong’s as her eyes widened from shock.

“When we were coming to adopt you, you ran out in front of our car and we accidentally hit you which caused you to have memory loss. We took advantage of it and said that we were your parents. The lady who runs the orphanage told us that you had a best friend you was always by your side and protecting you. Jaejoong was your best friend at the orphanage. He’s the little boy who ran into your room at the hospital when you asked us who we were.” Mr. Kim said as he slowly walked towards her.

Taeyeon stood up from the chair and eyed him. She remembered that little boy. “He’s that little boy?” Mr. Kim nodded. “Why didn’t you guys tell me sooner?”

“We didn’t know he was the little boy until now.” Mrs. Kim answered.

Taeyeon shook her head. “I’m not just talking about the little boy! I’m talking about my life! I’ve been living in a lie!”

“That is not true! Our love for you is not a lie. We love you as much as if you were our own.” Mrs. Kim stated while clutching to her purse.

“Why didn’t you tell me sooner?” Taeyeon repeated. “I’ve put Jaejoong, who was my best friend in so much danger!”

“Taeyeon, we’re sorry. We thought it was the right thing to do at the time.”

“I forgot all about my past and now he comes back into my life again. It must’ve hurt to see one of your best friends not remember you.” Taeyeon said while walking passed her parents and out of the room.

She wiped her tears with her sleeves and walked towards the elevator. Before she pressed the button to get it to open, Yoobin, Heechul, and Changmin walked out.

Yoobin and Heechul rushed towards her as they saw her eyes, nose, and cheeks turning red. She pushed passed them and grabbed Changmin by the wrist pulling him into the elevator with her. She pressed the “1” button and turned to face Yoobin and Heechul who were very shocked.

“How can you guys keep something so big away from me?” Taeyeon questioned. Before Yoobin and Heechul could answer, the doors closed.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

When Taeyeon and Changmin reached the outside of the hospital, Changmin finally spoke. “What’s wrong?”

Taeyeon turned to face him with a flood of tears rolling down her red cheeks. “Did you know about me being adopted? Did you know about me having memory loss?” Changmin tensed up at her questions. “You did didn’t you?” When she didn’t get an answer from him, she took it as a ‘yes’. “Why didn’t you tell me? You’re my best friend and you didn’t tell me!”

“I-I’m sorry. I couldn’t.” Changmin said quietly.

“What do you mean you couldn’t?” questioned Taeyeon. “It’s not that hard Changmin.”

“Yes it is.” Changmin replied. “It’s hard for everyone to be told that you’ve been adopted with the memory loss added to it.”

“Jaejoong, he was someone very special to me in the past and I forgot about him. I forgot about everything and ended up living in a lie!”

“Taeyeon don’t say that!” Changmin shouted. “Just because you’re adopted doesn’t mean that you lived in a lie. You have people who care for you and love you. It doesn’t matter if you were adopted or not.”

“I don’t care if I was adopted, but the fact that I had memory loss!” Taeyeon shouted out in furry. Changmin couldn’t take it anymore and pulled her in for a hug. “It changed my life.” muffled Taeyeon.

Once she calmed down from her cries, she pulled away and looked up at him. “I’m going to America. I need time alone to get over this.”

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

~Note~ Okay, the next chapter will be the LAST chapter (if I get everything in one chapter.)

sjlovessuju - Thanks!

ah_thien - Oh, he got the consequences from Changmin and Heechul lol.

rosesone - I know! He's been through so much and he gets this?!?