Chapter 7: Dropping the Formalities

Welcome to the Beach House

Jiyong is busy writing his next song when he was joined by Jae in the table by the poolside. "So how's your stay here cousin?" Jaejoong said with a smirk on his face.

Jiyong just gave Jae weird looks. He finds it odd that he is acting all close to him right now. Well, even though they are cousins they are not very close but they are good with each other. "Uhm, everything's fine," just answered Jiyong.

"Good to hear that," said Jaejoong still wearing his smirk.

"Why did you ask?" asked Jiyong, looking at Jae suspiciously.

"I just want to know how my cousin is doing with staying with different people here," said Jae, looking at Jiyong with an innocent look. Jiyong just nodded as a response.

Jiyong continued writing when an idea popped into Jae's mind which made his smirk wider. "So what's going on between you and Yoona ssi?" asked Jae which made Jiyong drop his pen upon hearing the question.

"What kind of a question is that?" asked Jiyong, looking tensed which amused Jaejoong even more.

"Well, you seemed to be hanging out with her often these past few days?"

"She is a nice and a friendly girl so it's normal for me to hang out with a nice person," said Jiyong defensively. Jae just nodded but deep inside, he can tell that his cousin definitely has the hots for this girl.

Jiyong picked up the pen he dropped earlier when Jae spotted two familliar figures passing by. "Hey ladies! Come join us!" he called. When Jiyong saw who Jae just called, he suddenly froze.

Dara mentally cursed the owner of the voice because ever since their cooking session yesterday, Jae's been growing in on her a bit and and something inside tells her that she had to avoid the flirty guy. Yoona's eyes widened when she saw the man sitting beside Jae when they were called by him. After being asked about the hook up question yesterday, she had a feeling that it's going to be a bad idea. Dara and Yoona thought of declining at the same time but Jae already walked towards them and pulled them towards the table.

 "Here, Yoona, you may sit beside Jiyong," said Jaejoong as he dragged Dara carefully on the other side of the table. Yoona was hesitant to sit but she did anyway. Jaejoong and Dara sat on the other side of the table. "Annyeonghaseyo," said Yoona to Jiyong. Jiyong smiled and bowed at Yoona.

"So are you done with your song?" asked Yoona.

Jiyong just shook his head. "But I'm almost done," he answered. "What about your painting?"

Yoona just shook her head as a response. "But I only need to do the finishing touches," answered Yoona.

"You better show it to me like the deal we had," said Jiyong with a bright smile.

Yoona giggled. "As long as you will show me when your done with that song."

Jiyong chuckled. "Of course!"

The two stopped talking when they heard someone clearing their throats and that's when they remembered that there are two other people with them. Jaejoong and Dara just looked at them with curiosity then Jae smirked mischievously. "Aww! Exchanging a written song with a painting, how cute!" said Jaejoong teasingly. "You know what, the two of you look good together."

Yoona can feel the burning of her cheeks and she can tell that she's blushing madly, making her red as a tomato. "This is so embarrasing!" she thought. Jiyong felt like he wanted to strangle Jaejoong not caring that he is his cousin.

Jae smirked at the two's reaction then he looked at Dara. Dara glared daggers at the pretty man. She thought that he already agreed not to tease Yoona in front of Jiyong but here he is, breaking their agreement. She knows that killing is a crime but she can't help but be tempted to do it to someone, a pretty man named Kim Jaejoong to be exact. Jaejoong can't help but be fond of Dara's reaction as well and as usual, he finds her cute again. He can tell that if looks could kill, he would've been dead by now with the way Dara is glaring at him.

"Dara, let's go to the beach!" said Jaejoong with excitement as he stood up and pulled Dara with him. "We'll just leave the two of you now. See you later!" Yoona sighed and felt relieved that Jaejoong left. Jiyong grabbed the glass of water on the table and took a sip. "The two of you can just talk or make cute babies if you like!" teased Jaejoong before he went completely out of the scene with Dara.

Yoona's eyes widened upon hearing what Jae just said, making her cover with his palm and her face flushed. Jiyong was drinking his water but suddenly choked upon hearing Jae's joke. Dara clenched her fist and her teeth gritted due to being annoyed with Jaejoong's joke. She really wanted to punch the guy but he suddenly dragged her again completely leaving Yoona and Jiyong.

Jiyong continued to cough like his life depended on it. Yoona looked at the coughing guy with worry as she kept on tapping his back.

"Are you alright, Jiyong ssi?" she asked.

Jiyong finally took a deep breath. "I'm fine now," he said and smiled at her.

Yoona sighed and felt relieved that he's alright now. She smiled shyly at him. "That's good."

"I'm sorry for my idiot cousin's words, he just really loves to tease people," said Jiyong.

Yoona just nodded. "It's okay, Jiyong ssi," said Yoona with reassurance and smiled gently at Jiyong.

"Hey, I think we should drop the formalities," said Jiyong looking into Yoona's eyes. "Just call me oppa or just Jiyong."

Yoona giggled and nodded. "And just call me Yoona," she finally said and he just nodded. "Don't forget our deal, oppa." 

Jiyong nodded. "Of course I won't!," he said. Then the two of them continued talking about their careers and anything about themselves.

 

Jaejoong and Dara finally arrived at the exit of the house going to the beach. "What were you thinking back there?" mumbled Dara. "I thought you already agreed not to in front of him. What if Yoona figured out that I somehow told you when she did not confirmed it. I just based it on my observation."

Jaejoong just chuckled. "No, I don't think she'll have an idea," said Jaejoong confidently. "And even if she doesn't confirm it, it's really obvious that she's crushing on Jiyong and I can tell the same for Jiyong." Jaejoong and Dara heard two familiar voices and they hid at the back of the wooden door. They eavesdropped  at the conversation of the owners of the voices.

 "Are you following me?" asked Eunjung, angrily.

What do you think?" said Hyunjoong calmly making Eunjung groan in frustration. "Are you avoiding me?"

Eunjung looked at Hyunjoong and raised her eyebrows. "What do you think?"

Hyunjoong just chuckled at Eunjung's response. "Why are you avoiding me?" he asked which earned a glare from the woman in front of him.

"You already know the answer and yet, you're still asking me," said Eunjung frowning.

"I know it's about the other night when I kissed you," said Hyunjoong coolly. "But why are you acting like this? It's not like it's your first kiss anyway."

Eunjung just sighed. "You're still a stranger to me," she just muttered. "And besides, why did you kiss me in the first place? You're a celebrity, right? So why would you kiss someone like me?"

Hyunjoong just raised his eyebrow. "What's wrong with you that you're wondering why I kissed you?' he answered. "I'm a man and men like kissing women. You're a woman and a really pretty and y one. So there you go. And come to think of it, I want to kiss you again right now." Eunjung frowned upon hearing the last words Hyunjoong said.

Hyunjoong smirked upon seeing Eunjungs frown. "So, may I have my  kiss?"

Eunjung scowled and groaned. "Urgh! Leave me alone!" Then she left Hyunjoong. Hyunjoong just smirked at his retreating back. As soon as she was out of sight, he decided to go as well.

When the two arguing pair left, the two eavesdropping pair decided to come out from where they are hiding. The two can't believe what they just heard. "I can't believe it!," said Jaejoong. "They kissed! My evil cousin and my buddy who happens to be your cousin kissed." Dara was shocked at what she heard either but she observed the two of them yesterday which she felt an awkward aura and after what they heard, it all made sense to her.

"No wonder the two of them were awkward, especially Eunjung, last time," she said "Jeez! My cousin is so aggressive to women. What a womanizer."

Jaejoong raised his eyebrow and looked at the petite lady in front of him. "What's wrong with being agressive?" asked Jae with protest. "And as for being a womanizer, it's not that we're womanizing. We are just giving the ladies who are attracted to us a favor by being with them. They should at least be thankful." Dara just snorted at Jaejoong's answer.

"No wonder my cousin and you, Jaejoong ssi, are not close," said Dara sarcastically. "You are infact, like brothers."

Jaejoong just chuckled at Dara's sarcasm. "Can we just drop the formalities because I'm just calling you Dara while you are so formal," said Jaejoong. "How about you call me oppa?"

Dara rolled her eyes. "I don't even call my own cousins oppa," said Dara. "So why should I call you oppa?"

"Okay, just call me Jae," he suggested. "Is that okay with you?" Dara just nodded as an answer. "Who would've thought that staying here would be much more interesting," said Jaejoong with a mishievous grin. "First, Jiyong and Yoona and now, after what we heard earlier, it has gotten a lot more interesting. We should keep an eye on them, Dara."

"You really like being nosy do you?" asked Dara, frowning.

"Not really, but come on! It's interesting," said Jaejoong. "You should loosen up a bit. We'll be partners in crime witnessing how this beach house turns to a love shack."

Dara just facepalmed herself at Jaejoong's remark. "Pabo," she just muttered.

 "Hey Dara," said Jaejoong with a flirty tone and naughty smirk which made Dara eye him suspiciously. "Hyunjoong already kissed my mean girl of a cousin. Aren't you going to let me kiss you?"

Dara's eyes widened then looked at Jaejoong with disgust. "Yah! You wish!" yelled Dara.

Dara was about to walk out but Jaejoong grabbed her wrist. "What?" she asked, annoyed.

"I was just kidding but please I want to see the beach with you," said Jae sincerely. "Why do you want to go with me?" asked Dara, raising her eyebrow. "Because next to Hyunjoong who is obviously busy following someone," said Jaejoong. "You're the next person that I'm quite close with, here, even if I know you hate me. But please, don't hate me just this once. I could use your company right now."

Dara giggled at Jae's request. She had to admit that he looked cute and innocent., very far from his usual flirty smirk. "What?" asked Jaejoong with wonder.

"Nothing, let's go!" said Dara, pulling Jae with her towards the beach.

 

Sunye, Hara and Jonghyun are at the recreation room having their turns to sing at the KTV machine. They we're having fun. At first, Sunye wondered where Donghae was but Jonghyun said that he's busy with his latest novel. After singing at least four songs, Sunye excused herself from the two youngsters and went to the second floor balcony. She thought that it's time for her to make a phonecall.

When she finished calling her parents to check on how they were doing, she thought that it's time for her to call Junho, the man she had been dating for a year. They had not talk to each other that much ever since she got here. Whenever she tried calling him, it's always unattended or he will tell her that he's busy with work.

She dialled his number but no answer until a voice said that it's unattended. She dialled the number repeatedly but it's always the same thing. She sighed. A part of her, she had to admit that their relationship is on the rocks but half of her tells her that their relationship is going to be fine because they don't fight or argue much. But who am I kidding," she thought. " Isn't it more trouble when a couple does not argue or fight because some things are left unsaid and not shared that makes them unable to relate with each other."

Donghae had been typing his new novel for hours but he wasn't able to come up with a new idea. The words he typed were erased as soon as he thought that it's not the right idea. He groaned in frustration. With his frustration building up, he decided to take a break for a while. He got out of his room and proceeded to the balcony. He saw Sunye who did not seem to notice him so he walked towards her and tapped her shoulder.

Sunye was so engrossed with her thought that she was startled when someone tapped her shoulder. She looked around and saw Donghae, she just smiled at him. "So what are you doing here?" he asked.

Sunye just gave him a weak smile. "I decided to call my parents and boyfriend," said Sunye.

Donghae's lips formed in to an 'O' shape. "I guess I'll just give you some privacy."

"No, it's okay," said Sunye. "I already called my parents and my boyfriend isn't answering anyway. Probably busy with work again."

Donghae can see the sadness in her eyes. "So is it alright if I'll just stay here for a while?" he asked. Sunye nodded and smiled at him.

"So how is it going with the new novel?' asked Sunye.

Donghae just sighed. "I don't know," answered Donghae with disappointment. "It's just that, I've been suffering from writer's block for a year and I can''t seem to think of a unique idea or concept for my new novel." Sunye can also feel the sadness and disappointment through Donghae and just continued to listen.

"I thought of being on hiatus for a while but then when I came here and I saw that I have fans that expect my new novel," said Donghae in which Sunye can tell that he was pertaining to herself, Dara and Yoona who expressed earlier that they are fans of his novels. "Because of that, I feel the pressure of finishing my new novel. But then, no unique ideas seem to come out. I feel like a failure!"

"You're not a failure," said Sunye gently and firmly. "You are very successful in your craft so you are not a failure. It's just that sometimes, every person experiences some personal crisis within them that makes them feel like they are unable to function well but it doesn't make you a failure. I'm sure you'll get over it when the time comes, just don't give up. Don't pressure yourself as well, just relax. I'm sure you will have plenty of unique ideas to come in the future. Fighting!"

Donghae just chuckled. "I guess your right," said Donghae, feeling relieved after talking to Sunye. "Thanks, I'm glad to be able to let it out with someone listening."

Sunye was glad that she was able to help relieve Donghae. "I told you, if you need someone to talk to, you can just talk to me. So always remember that."

"Yes madame!" Sunye chuckled.. "So what do you do?" asked Donghae.  

"I work as a preschool teacher in Busan?" answered Sunye which made Donghae look at Sunye like he found what she said interesting.

"Really! So how is it dealing with kids?" he asked. "Isn't it hard to handle kids who are noisy or especially when some kids fight. I really can't imagine myself doing that."

Sunye giggled at Donghae's response. "It's not that hard," she said. "You'll just have to be really patient because if you lose your temper and get mad, you'll scare the children away. They might call you a monster or a witch after that. Besides, it's fun once you get use to it and they are really cute." Donghae chuckled at Sunye's answer.

 "Well I guess it suits you well," said Donghae.

"You think it really suits me?" said Sunye, holding her laughter which earned a nod from Donghae.

"I have a feeling that you're going to be one of the most if not the most, patient person I'll ever meet." answered Donghae. "Besides, it's obvious in your face."

"Aww, you're praising me too much," said Sunye teasingly which just made Donghae chuckled. When the sun came to it's set, both went to the kitchen since it's still their schedule to cook dinner.

Them, working together in the kitchen did not have any problems since they get along well and both can cook. "Wow, you really are a good cook, Donghae ssi," said Sunye.

"Well, you're not a bad cook yourself either," said Donghae as he sliced the carrots. "And can we please drop down the formalities. I already shared to you my problem so I think you should just call me Donghae."

"If that's what you want," said Sunye. Donghae smiled when she agreed. "So aside from being a great novelist, what made you a great cook?"

"It started when my dad and step-mom, Jonghyun's my half brother by the way, moved to the US," said Donghae. "Since I'm just mostly at home, I'm the one who prepares the food for us." Sunye nodded. "What about you?" asked Donghae. "You seem to be really good with cooking and housework in general."

"Well, I have to be," answered Sunye. "My mom keeps on telling me that I'm a woman and I'm also the eldest so it's important to learn cooking and housework."

"Well, that's good," said Donghae. "Your boyfriend will be lucky when he marries you in the future. A kind and pretty woman like you who knows how to cook."

Sunye blushed after Donghae praised her. "You've been praising me! What's wrong with you?"

Donghae just chuckled. "I'm just telling the truth." Both just laughed.

When they finished cooking, they served the dinner on the table. During dinner time, their housemates kept on praising their cooking. When dinner's done, they cleaned up the table to wash the wares used.

While washing the dishes, a question popped into Sunye's mind that she wanted to ask Donghae. "Donghae, is it okay if I ask you somehing?" asked Sunye which earned a nod from Donghae. "Do you have a girlfriend?" she asked and he shook his head. "When was the last time you had a girlfriend?" she asked.

"Two years ago," answered Donghae.

"Why did you broke up?" asked Sunye then her eyes widened. "I guess I'm being personal. It's okay if you don't want to answer."

"No it's okay," answered Donghae smiling at her gently with assurance that it's not a big deal for him. "We dated for a year. At first, everything was so warm and sweet but as each day goes by, we grew apart. What's funny is that we don't even argue or fight that much, only seldomly and yet we still broke up while some couple I know who fight a lot are still together.

Sunye just kept quiet while listening to Donghae. She can't help but relate her own experience right now to Donghae's past experience. "I guess it's because they open up things that lead them to fight and argue but in the end they kiss and make up," continued Donghae. "Because they finally know what's bothering their partner and sharing their thoughts made them come up with a solution to make each other comfortable. While we on the other hand, were not able to share our thoughts that we were not able to relate with each other, thus we grew apart that lead to break up. Good thing is we both agreed to it and it wasn't a bad break up."

"I see," answered Sunye. She now had a serious expression. After hearing Donghae's experience, she can't help but think and ask herself if her and Junho's relationship will end up like that of Donghae's. Should she be scared?

"Are you okay?" asked Donghae. Sunye just nodded and gave him a weak smile. Donghae is somehow, not convinced. He can tell that something's bothering her but he will not force her to open up to him. "Just remember that if you need someone to talk to, I'm just here," said Donghae sincerely. "That's what friends are for anyway." Sunye just smiled and nodded.

 

 

 

 

 

Finally! I can post this...Yay!

Sorry if I wasn't able to update yesterday because I was really busy, had a lot of things to do..

Thanks to those who read, commented and subscribed in this story...

So here's the latest chapter...What do you think?

Please never forget to leave a comment...

I'm not sure if I will be able to update this tomorrow but I'll do my best. If not tomorrow then I will update this in two days...

Have fun reading this chapter...