Chapter 14: Opening Up

Welcome to the Beach House

 

Donghae is sitting on his bed busy typing on his laptop. He already had an idea for his new novel that's why he decided to type it. A smile crept unto his face as he continued typing but a after few paragraphs, he suddenly doesn't know what to write. He doesn't even know how the story will flow or how he will end it, he just started and the end of the story is still far, far ahead. Upon realizing that he can't think of a better scene for his supposed new novel, he just saved the file and shut down his computer.

Perhaps he should go out and have some fresh air. He stood up and walked towards the door and got out. As he looked around, he saw a familar figure at the balcony looking at the blue skies, clutching her phone. It is expected of her, since she is far from her family and special someone, she needs to check on them from time to time.

Sunye just finished calling her parents and it was a pleasant conversation as always. She was able to talk to her boyfriend Junho too. Isn't that supposed to make her happy? But how come she can't help but feel unsatisfied. And what's with the guilt feeling she's been having lately whenever she is thinking of him and talking to him earlier made it worse. What's there to be guilty? She did not do anything wrong.

And as for the conversation they had earlier, it wasn't that satisfying either. The conversation was just a few "how are you?" then "I miss you," and "when will you come home?" and...voila! He had to go since he's very busy. She also noticed that when he heard his voice on the phone earlier, she did not feel any sparks or excitement and what made her guilty is that she told him he missed him but it felt like she didn't mean it. What's going on with her? She's suppose to miss him.

But come to think of it, even before going to this beach house, they are slowly drifting apart. He's been very busy and he always spends time with his secretary for work reasons, of course. Not that it bothered her about him spending more time with his secretary. She knows that he's not the type to cheat but again, who knows. She's still not suspecting him of cheating because that's not really their problem. The point is that, even before going to this beach house, their relationship is slowly going on a downhill without them noticing. Heck, she just  noticed when they've been apart for the whole summer but she's not sure if he's feeling the same. Either way, he is still his boyfriend and should not worry about that for now. End of summer is fast approaching and she'll just make the most of it with her housemates. Who knows, when will she see them after this again so, might as well enjoy the moment.

Donghae can tell that Sunye is in deep thought as she did not notice him. He thought of startling him by poking her waist. Sunye jumped a bit after she felt someone poked her waist. She was obviously startled at his action with her eyes widening upon seeing him. He chuckled as he looked at him, amused for he thought that she looked cute.

"What was that?" screeched Sunye.

"I just thought I'd startle you since you did not notice me walking towards you," said Donghae with a smirk.

"Oh, well, just thinking of something," said Sunye blankly, looking at the ground.

Donghae looked at her hand clutching her phone and sighed. "It doesn't really take a genius to figure out that something's bothering you."

Sunye just sat on a nearby chair and leaned on the table. "Yea, something's really bothering me and I don't know what I'm going to do with it."

Donghae sat on the other chair and leaned on the table as well. "Why don't you open up, I'll listen," said Dnghae calmy, catching Sunye's eyes with his. "I'm your friend, remember. Maybe I can help you with  your problem."

Sunye took a deep breath. "Junho and I," she finally said. "I think we're drifting apart. I don't know, it's really confusing because I feel like I don't know how to deal with this. We don't fight much and kinda agree to a lot of things but I can't help but feel that we're growing apart.  And it scares me that both of us might get hurt in the end or only one of us get hurts while the other one will be filled with guilt. I'm not really good at complicated things."

"I understand how you feel," said Donghae, looking at Sunye with sincere. "That's exactly what happened to me and my ex. I can't really be much of help since I don't know that guy but I have one advice for you. Just talk to him, clarify things with him. I know the distance between you right now is great so it will be impossible to clear things with him so, do it when you go back to Busan. Meet up with him and talk to him. Tell him your thoughts and feelings. In that way, he may open up as well with his insights and that will help you find a solution to your problem. If things go well, then that's great. If things don't go well then don't worry. I'm sure someone out there is better for you."

Sunye blinked as he looked at Donghae's eyes. Then she smiled at him. "I guess you're right," she answered. "I'll just have to talk to him. But I can't do that right, now so I'll just do that when I get back home. I shouldn't be sulking right now. The day is bright and make most of my remaining time here with you guys."

"That's the spirit," said Donghae. "By the way, I already started typing my new novel. I'm not done with it yet and I don't know how the story will flow but I'll be working on it."

"Cool! Make sure to give me a free copy with your signature when it's released," said Sunye, grinning. "That's what friends are for, right?"

Donghae chuckled. "That was sneaky."

While Donhae and Sunye are having a conversation, two youger people are observing them from below the balcony. Hara and Jonghyun eyed the older pair having a chit chat on the balcony. "You know what, I think they look good together," mumbled Hara.

Jonghyun nodded in agreement. "To be honest, if my hyung is going to have a girlfriend in the future," said Jonghyun still looking at his Hyung and Sunye. "I want it to be someone like Sunye noona or it would be better if it is Sunye noona herself."

"Sunye unnie is quite an ideal girlfriend if you ask me," said Hara. "But unnie already has a boyfriend, remember."

"I know that but they're not married yet, right?" said Jonghyun with a cheeky smirk. "Maybe there's still chance."

Hara pushed Jonghyun's head lightly. "But I'm sure Donghae oppa isn't the type to snatch a woman from another man. He is way better than that. And let's not mind their private lives. It's none of our business anyway. What's meant to be is meant to be."

"I know right," said Jonghyun with a boyish grin as he looked at Hara. "When summer ends and university starts, what are our plans. How do we hangout?"

Hara raised her eyebrow. "What's with the hangout?" Jonghyun chuckled at Hara's question. "Where friends remember, and friends do hangout."

"Oh yeah," said Hara. "Then we'll just call each other during our free time and chill at the mall. Watch a movie or something. Or maybe we can meet as well with our friends. The more the merrier, right?"

"Yeah, that's a great idea!" said Jonghyun exciitedly. "A good way to gain more friends."

 

Eunjung is browsing through the picture in her laptop with different piles beside. She decided to work at the house library since it's the part of the house that has no people most of the time, except for for Dara sometimes but she's not here right now. Working through her promotion the whole time since she sat on the chair, she decided to take a break. She can't grasp what really got into her to browse her past pictures.

It contained pictures of her and her officemates whenever they have seminars and workshops. Pictures of her with her family and friends are there as well but then paused for a moment when the next set of photos made her heart feel constricted. She felt like she was running out of breath when their faces appeared on the screen. The two people whom she doesn't want to see, maybe for now or who knows, maybe forever. Taecyeon and Jessica.

Hyunjoong had been looking for a certain shoulder-length brown haired lady all over the house but she couldn't find her anywhere. From her room, to the balcony, from the recreation room and outside of the house, she was nowhere near in sight. "Where is she?"

The last place he looked for was the house library. A smile formed in his face upon seeing her back. He  walked towards her. When he was closer to her, he paused for a moment upon seeing her browsing through a couple of pictures. Those are pictures of herself, a dark-haired man and a blonde-haired woman. He already had an idea who they are and sat on a chair beside Eunjung.

"So you've been here all along," said Hyunjoong with a husky tone. "I've been looking all over for you."

"This is the place where people in this house do not hangout most of the day and I need some peace and quiet to work," she answered flatly, her eyes still glued on the screen with a photo of her with the same dark-haired man and blonde woman.

"Friends?" asked Hyunjoong with curiosity as he eyed the woman beside him. He can see sadness, anger and hatred in her eyes as she eyed the photo. "Not anymore," she answered.

"I see," he said as he looked at the picture. "The damage is pretty deep, I guess?" Eunjung nodded. "Very much," she muttered.

"Of all the people I met in my whole life, I trusted both of them the most," she heard him saying with grief evident in her tone. "But it seems, the people you trust the most are the ones who can or may bring so much pain to you."

Hyunjoong listened as he stared at Eunjung with so much concern. "I loved him with all my heart and I thought it was going to be forever," she continued in between sobs and sniffles. "I've known him since primary and we've been together for two years. She's my bestfriend my whole life. I trusted them but how could they? They we're seeing behind my back. I can't believe he chose her over me. It's like, the two years we've been through together was suddenly thrown out of the window! What is it that she has that I don't have!? What is it that she can give that I can't give!?"

He can hear him sniffling in between sobs. This woman had always appeared so strong and fearless in front of him but this is the first time he had seen her like this. The vulnerability she showed right now gave him this feeling that he wants to protect her from the pain ahead. She maybe strong, tough, independent and all that but she is still a human being who is not exempted from pain and disappointments in life.

"Am I ugly that she chose her over me? Jess is really pretty like a barbie doll," she asked with a light tone that made Hyunjoong's atterntion glued to her even more. "Am I really that bad?"

Hyunjoong eyed Eunjung intensely. The melacnholy in her eyes met his gaze. He moved closer to her and cupped her face then he pulled her close to him, giving her a comforting embrace. She cried in his chest, his shirt probably wet with her tears. He hushed her from crying as he pat her back lightly.

"You're not bad, you're a cool person," he said with an earnest tone. "And lastly, you're not ugly. You're beautiful."

Eunjung's eyes widened then tilted her head to see his face. He smiled at him sincerely. "Don't cry. If he broke up with you and hurt you then you don't deserve him. You deserve better. He's a loser who missed a lot when he let go of a great person like you."

Eunjung giggled at Hyunjoong words that are obviously meant to comfort her through his shirt and it did. "I didn't know that you have a hidden talent in comforting people in distress."

Hyunjoong smirked. "I didn't know it either."

Then silence enveloped them for a moment. Hyunjoong, fond with the feeling of her in his arms and how she perfectly fit there. Eunjung, liking the warmth his arms are giving him and how she felt safe and protected as he leaned her head on his chest. "Thanks," she whispered. "For the comfort."

"You're welcome," he replied huskily.

"May I stay like this for a while, if you don't mind?" he heard her ask.

He smiled at the question. "Yes you may, for as long you like."

 

Yoona is sitting on bench at the poolside with her macbook on her lap. She is looking at the pictures she took during the picnic. Admiring the shots she took at the photos of each housemates. This pictures will be indeed a great souvenir for her  to remind her how she had awesome time with this great people.

Then the next corresponding pictures fascinated her even more. Pictures of her and Jiyong, smiling happily together at the camera. She pouted as she draw an invisible heart shape around their faces with her index finger. Upon realizing that she acted like a highschool girl who had a possession of her crush's picture, she chuckled at how stupid she could've looked like if someone saw her.

"He said that I'm his crush," she giggled at the thought. "Does that mean that he will also ask me to be his..."

Then she gasped and covered upon realizing where her thoughts are heading to. She shook her head shoving those thoughts away. "He just said that he as a crush on me. More like admiration and here I am thinking of being boyfriend and girlfriend. I'm so pathetic, acting like a highschool girl."

She sighed. Jiyong's confession during the picnic never left her thoughts. The feeling, she liked it especially how her heart would race thinking of him. "Get a grip! It's not like you're inlove or something and so is he. Urghh! What am I thinking?"

Unknown to Yoona, a pair of eyes are observing her from afar. Jiyong is having second thoughts whether he should approach her or not. His confession that night made her feel awkward with Yoona, not in a bad way but in a weird way. He had confessed to other girls before dating them but never had he been awkward to them as the way he is with Yoona and it's only a crush. But is it really just a crush?

He has been having inner debates as well regarding his true feelings on the doe-eyed lady. She has this innocent, gentle and smart aura that makes him drawn to her. And if his feelings are more than just a crush, if he tells her, will she accept him? Will she like him back?

"Looks like we are in deep thought, are we?" Jiyong was startled upon hearing a voice. She turned around to see a petite lady, smirking.

"You startled me," he said.

"I know right, sorry about that," she said confidently. "Whatever it is you're planning, it won't work if you'll just look at her. Go talk to her."

"You're talking as if it's easy."

"Why? What's the problem?"

"I confessed that I have a crush on her, remember. But I'm not sure what she truly feels about it."

"You know what, I have a suggestion," said Dara, grinning.

Jiyong raised his eyebrow. "And what is that?"

"Ask her on a date," said of Dara matter of factly. "Have a date with her. To get to know her better."

"But what if she says no?" said Jiyong with an unsure look in his eyes. "Rejection is one of men's greatest fear, you know."

"I'm sure she won't say no," said Dara confidently, tapping his back. "Ask her on a date. Everything will be fine."

Dara was out of sight. Jiyong looked at Yoona's back and sighed. "Here goes nothing."

 

Dara saw Jaejoong sitting on a couch at the family room. She noticed that the man in front of him is staring blankly at the figurine on top of the table. He did not even notice her sit beside him. "Is it me or every people today are always in deep thought and I'm surprised that you are one of them."

Jaejoong gulped upon seeing Dara as he eyed her lips then her eyes. "Is something bothering my matchmaking partner?"

Jaejoong then remembered what happened last night. How his lips touched her for a few seconds and how he felt it's softness even for such a short time. The most embarrassing part is that Yoona might have caught him. He wondered what will Dara's reaction once he told her that he kissed her while she was sleeping. He is certainly most sure that she'll skin him alive. "Nothing."

"Okay, if you say so," said Dara nonchalantly. She then the television and put it in the National Geographic channel. He can't help but look at her lips. Oh how he wants to kiss her badly. From time to time, he would catch her pout her lips and it's giving him urges to kiss her more. Jaejoong tried to watch the television and concentrate on the show but with the petite, bespectacled lady sitting beside him,he knows it won't be easy.

"Daronggg!" a scream interrupted them. They turned to the direction where the scream came from only to see a panting Yoona. She walked towards them. Jaejoong saw Yoona giving him weird looks for a second then pulled her cousin with her to a farther corner of the room. He watched at how the cousin's interact with each other and can't help but be amused at how different they are they still get along well. Yoona is the sweet natured type while Dara has that serious and distant vibe.

"What's wrong with you, Yoongie?" said Dara, raising her eyebrow as she stared at her panting cousin.

"Ji...Jiyong asked me on a date tomorrow," said Yoona as she composed herself. "He said we're going to Seoul."

"So what did you say?" asked Dara with curiosity.

Yoona blushed and hid her face in her palms. "I ran to find you as soon as he finished the question."

"What!" Dara was shocked at what her cousin did. "You did that? That was pathetic!"

Yoona pouted at her cousin's reaction. "I know and the way you react, it's as if you are experienced in dating."

Dara gaped at her cousin's response. "I know I don't have experience in dating. We're the same, right? But at least I know how to say yes or no if I want it or not. While you just ran off."

"I know it's embarassing!" said Yoona with panic. "What am I going to do?"

"Well, do you like to go with him?" Yoona nodded, her cheeks tinted with pink.

"Then go with him," said Dara with a groan. "Now he'll think you rejected him." Yoona gasped at what Dara said. "I have to go and tell him my answer."

"Go! Jeez! For a woman in her twenties, you act like you're in highschool," muttered Dara.

"I know right!" said Yoona then she hugged Dara. "Thanks dear cousin. I have to go." Then Yoona ran off and Dara went back to the couch sitting beside Jaejoong.

"What was that?" asked Jaejoong. Dara chuckled. "Jiyong asked Yoona on a date."

Jaejoong eyed her curiously. "What did she say?" Dara looked at the tv with her lips curving. "She'll say yes."

"Looks like we have to prepare our disguise for tomorrow," said Jaejoong with a michievous grin.

"Eh? Disguise?" asked Dara as she looked at Jaejoong questioningly. The man still has his smik on his face. "For what?"

"We'll observe them and evaluate how their relationship progresses," said Jaejoong proudly. Dara was about to say something but Jaejoong cut her off before she can even utter a single word. "And you'll go with me whether you like it or not. It's our mission in this house, remember!"

Dara sighed. Stalking potential couples had been Jaejoong's hobby and she can't believe she's being dragged into this. What's worse is she can't argue because of his stupid blackmail. It's even more ridiculous that she's letting herself get caught up with the blackmail when she knew she can do better.

"Hey Dara ah," said Jaejoong. Dara was removed from her thoughts and looked at Jaejoong only to witness a serious expression in his face. "Hhmm?"

"How come you don't want to kiss me last night during the truth or dare?" Dara was taken aback at his question. It doesn't take a genius to figure out that his ego was hurt when she refused to do the dare. "Am I really that unlikable to you?"

Dara can't help but feel sorry at the pretty man. "You're not unlikable. It's just that...I don't want to lose my first kiss in such situation. I want it to be with my special someone. Sounds cheesy, I know. I guess I have to admit that I'm a bit of a hopeless romantic."

"Yeah, who would've thought that even though you're very ambitious, inside lies a romantic girl," teased Jae, hitting her shoulder with his shoulder playfully. "How come you never had a boyfriend."

Dara did not hesitate to give an answer. "I guess I'm too focused on my goals that it doesn't cross my mind," she answered. "I know people find it weird but it's not my fault if I haven't found someone I like yet. Not that I'm complaining but I'm just really not in a hurry."

"I understand and that's pretty reasonable," said Jaejoong then an evil smirk formed in his lips. "I know you don't like the idea. But..."

Dara looked at Jae and his smirk is kind of scaring her. "Even though you did not want to lose your first kiss to me last night, I have a feeling that I will be your first kiss."

Dara gasped at Jaejoong's proposal. "You're getting ahead of yourself, Kim Jaejoong!" she screeched.

Jaejoong chuckled at how she reacted. "I'm telling the truth. Wanna bet!"

"You are such an arrogant and conceited jerk!" she yelled into his face.

Jaejoong chuckled. "Thank you, thank you. But that won't stop me from taking your first kiss."

"Jeez, forcing me to kiss you, that's so low!"

"I don't have to force you cause you will let me kiss you willingly." 

Dara's mouth widened at Jaejoong's confident remark. Jaejoong was amused at her reaction. He thought she looked cute and adorable, like a child. "Don't forget to prepare your disguise for tomorrow," he said. He winked at her then he was gone completely leaving a shock and dumbfounded Dara.

"Yah! In your dreams, Kim Jaejoong!"

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Another chapter finished so here goes...

What do you think of this chapter? Please say what you honestly think.

Next chapter will be posted soon

Thanks for all the support in this story...

Have fun reading this chapter and have a nice day!