Walking Home

The Lioness

We were at the park again, talking long after the sun went down. The lights illuminated the neon graffiti that painted the park. Skaters rolled up and down the ramps, showing their skills or just having fun. Yongguk and his friends were on the ramps as well.

I sighed, standing from the table. "I guess I had better be getting home, it's late."

"Arasso, unnie," said the girls as they looked up to me at the table. They sat there so they were staying later. To tell the truth, I wasn't tired at all I just had so much on my mind.

Yongguk rolled down a ramp on his skateboard and jumped off, kicking the board up so he could catch it in the air. He made his way over to us and I just stood there, watching as he approached the table. Half way, he turned to the rest of his group, giving them a nod. They smiled and waved at me then went back to skating. Yongguk walked up to us and I gave him a weird look.

"I'll walk home with you. I need to get back soon anyway," he said in his deep voice.

All I gave him was a slight nod. He smiled to the rest of the group and they just stared at us wide eyed. Yongguk turned and began to make his way out of the park. I turned to them and gave a clueless look with a shrug before following him out of the park. Might as well walk home with him, there was nothing better for me to do.

The walk was silent. We walked side by side, me staring at the ground as I watched my converse and Yongguk looking straight ahead with his skateboard under his arm. The streetlights were the only thing to light our way, the moon being covered by clouds. The noise of the large city was slowly fading away, the only sound that was consistent was our shoes scraping across the concrete of the sidewalk.

I looked at him as we passsed the street that he lived down. "What are you up to?"

"It's called walking you home, genius."

"I didn't ask you to walk me home."

"Well to bad, deal with it."

I let out a dramatic sigh as I pulled my keys fromt he pocket in my jean shorts, jamming it into the lock. Yongguk stepped in front of me as soon as the door was unlocked. He blocked my body from the door with his, taking a peek into the house.

"What the hell are you doing!?" I hissed at him.

"Don't think I don't know about your appa. I was there you know."

I was quiet for a while, thinking of things to say but nothing came to mind. Yongguk stepped back, letting me into my own house. I guess my dad was asleep otherwise this would have been a lot different.

"You can thank me later for walking you home," he said with a cocky grin on his face, his hands shoved into his pockets.

I rolled my eyes at him as I stepped into the house. "I didn't ask you to so no thank you."

His smile disappeared, replaced with a small pout. "You're so mean, Eunae."

"It's what I'm known for, you should have known better. Now good night, Yongguk," I said as I closed the door. I sighed as I locked it and made my way up to my room. I climbed the stairs and entered my room on the small second floor. I locked the locks and then jumped as there was a loud thump on the roof of the house. I ran to the window, shoving it open to see Yongguk on the roof.

"What the hell, Yongguk?!"

He just looked at me with a smirk as he took a seat. "Are you going to come up or not?"

I sighed and swung myself out the window to sit next to the crazy man. I stared at him and he stared back. "How did you get up here?"

"The tree, duh," he said, pointing to a tree that was almost too far away to jump from onto the roof, or at least for me. He must have monkey in his DNA to make that jump and live, much make it onto th eroof unhurt.

I shook my head at him with a small smile. "You're such a ."

He pointed at me. "See? There you go again, being all mean to poor little me."

"Oh whatever!" I said, playfully shoving him. He smiled and let out a laugh as he sat back in his original spot.

Yongguk became serious again. It was as if he was about to say somthing that was important. I watched him as he looked away from me and then back at me to make eye contact. The smile that was on his face just seconds ago was completely gone. It made me wander what was on his mind, what was it that was bothering him. He took a breath and let it out slowly, staring into my eyes.

"My mother...."