Rooftops

The Lioness

It was late that night and I had retired to my room, my father already passed out from being drunk. I sat on top of the slightly slanted roof of the second story of the house. I had climbed out the window to get there.

This is where I went when I wanted to be completely alone. From my view point, you could see the entire city, the lights reaching into the sky. I could hear the sounds of the city and it calmed me. Something about this city I loved. It made me feel like I was free, like my life was perfect and my mother didn't leave me and my father wasn't constantly drunk.

I sighed, looking the the starless sky. If only my life would be like I wished. Instead, it was difficult and my life at home was even harder. Not many knew of my personal life and I wanted to keep it that way.

Looking down at the street below me, I watched as a person crossed just in front of the house. The way the person walked seemed odly familiar and I didn't know why. I couldn't see the face of the person since it was dark.

I watched them as they walked down the sidewalk, their hands in their jeans pockets and their head was down, staring at their feet as they walked. The person seemed to be deep in thought. My head cocked to the side, trying to place why I felt like I knew this person who was walking away from where I sat. It was strange, the feelilng of connection I felt to the unknown person.

Suddenly the person stopped, as if feeling my gaze on him. He turned and looked up to me.

I gasped, my eyes wide.

It was Yongguk. What was he doing here?

I blinked as we stared at each other. He started walking slowly, looking over his shoulder up at me. It was strange to see him here, maybe that's why I felt like I knew the person. He kept walking until he was almost in the light of one of the street lights on the corner of the street. He looked up at it, almost as if he was debating whether to walk into the light or not.

Yongguk stepped under one of the streetlights and then looked back up to me. He had a black hoodie on, the hood pulled up over his head to hide his face, the hood being a little too large.

He looked back up to the light again. His behavior was odd and I looked at him weirdly, something was off. Then he slipped the hood off of his head, turning to me again so I could see his face.

I gasped at what he was hiding, my chest tightening at the sight.

His face was...