Onwards

Zombie Apocalypse

"Now you see, if you mix hydrochloric acid with water, the solution will heat up. That shows a reaction, and so the hydrochloric acid has completely dissociated in the water."

 

"Yes but, wouldn't there be hydrogen left over?"

 

"Yes, in gas form. It has essentially evaporated off."

 

"Ahhhh." An understanding mumble was let out, followed by the quick scratching of a pen on paper. Glasses flashed in the light of the hanging light on the ceiling, the sky visible by a small window, completely dark; small stars dotting the black sky.

 

What an odd situation. Sungmin chuckled in his head, gingerly placing the two beakers down onto the table in front of him, careful not to spill any of the other various colored flasks surrounding the small area he had cleared to conduct his demonstration for Jinki. Oddly enough, it was he who was teaching the basics of chemistry to the scientist, not the other way around.

 

It was almost midnight by the clock ticking softly on the wall above them, and they were still there, in the huge lab, fanboying over chemistry like excitable little children. Jinki had seemed rather enthusiastic about it all and he immediately pulled Sungmin in with his excitement for the science behind the composition of things. As Jinki had explained everything that he was doing with the various acids and chemicals, Sungmin had coincidentally brought up the fact that his father had been a scientist. A world-renowned one, no doubt.

 

At the prospect of finally having a fellow science lover as a friend, Jinki’s brown eyes had sparkled like a child’s when offered candy. For hours, both had played around with chemicals, while simultaneously trying to understand the virus that had contaminated the world. Without a hitch, the young men had worked alongside each other, avoiding each other when the other moved without even looking at the other.

 

Finally, they had come up with practically nothing useful except for learning how the virus had many strains and forms that seemed to vary. Or at least, that was what their tests with the samples Jinki had, showed them. Unfortunately, this information wasn’t exactly helpful since Jinki had already figured that out a while back, during the one year that he had been part of the Resistance.

 

“Jinki, can I ask you a weird question?” Sungmin asked as the mentioned, clumsily placed beakers on a table that was already chock full of flasks. Without a real choice, he awkwardly balanced a beaker on top of another, staring at it a bit- as if waiting for it to fall apart- before he turned back to Sungmin. He hummed in acknowledgement, waiting for the older boy to speak. Yes, Sungmin was older; Jinki only being seventeen while Min was nineteen.

 

“Why aren’t there zombies swarming around the building? Since there are so many people in here, shouldn’t they be attracted to the smell?” Sungmin asked, genuinely befuddled as to why there wasn’t an army of un-dead breaking down the front door to get at the humans.

 

“Oh, that’s easy. Way before I came here -I think it was during the first year of the virus epidemic- the leader of the Resistance came up with a type of zombie repellent. The walls and fences surrounding the building, along with the walls of the building itself, are made with a metal that was infused with a chemical that has the same smell as rotting flesh. Every few months, we coat the walls and fences with the chemical to keep the smell strong and putrid. This scent drives off the un-dead for some reason; maybe because it smells like a strong zombie that might kill them for good.” Jinki explained, chortling to himself at his small joke, “It’s odd though. It seems that the virus inside the un-dead finds the smell of the chemical so bad, that any who are infected completely avoid the building. Except, of course, for the very few un-dead who amble a little too close for comfort. For that, we have Hyukjae and Heechul; the snipers.”

 

Sungmin made an impressed sound, nodding his head at Jinki’s words.

 

“Now, I have another question.”

 

“Shoot.”

 

“What the hell is wrong with Kyuhyun?”

 

Jinki scoffed then laughed hysterically at Sungmin’s words, one of his hands coming up to cover his face, holding his glasses in place as his body shook from his laughter.

 

“This is a serious question, Jinki!” Sungmin whined, a small tinge of pink coloring his pale cheeks.

 

WIth one last guffaw, Jinki finally calmed down enough to be able to answer Min’s question. His eyes were still crinkled cutely, an after effect of the enthusiastic laughter.

 

“Nothing’s wrong with him.” Jinki said, holding back a small chuckle.

 

“Something is definitely wrong with him! Don’t you dare lie to me Jinki, or else I’ll pour this hydrochloric acid down your goddamn shirt!”

 

“Sungmin! That’s a ridiculously strong acid! That would literally burn my beautiful skin!”

 

“Dammit, Jinki, tell me what the hell is wrong with that bipolar Kyuhyun or else this,” He raised a large jug of clear liquid that sloshed around in its container threateningly, “Is all going down your shirt.”

 

Jinki whined pitifully, covering his chest like a damsel in distress.

 

“Fine!” He pouted in defeat, clenching his hands into fists and whipping them to his sides. “There’s not much wrong with Kyuhyun, it’s just that he’s closed off to other people.” Jinki explained.

 

“That doesn’t explain why he bullies me so much. I’ve only been here barely a day and he’s already bullied me like fifty times.” Sungmin complained, crossing his arms over his chest; the jug of hydrochloric acid innocently sitting on a relatively cleared up table of acids and bases.

 

“That just means he likes you!” Jinki pointed out excitedly, palming his cheeks happily.

 

Sungmin stared at him, dumbfounded. Before he could stop it, a very apparent sheet of red adorned his cheeks, his eyes widening at the exact same time.

 

“Y-yah.” He stuttered, his eyebrows furrowing as he tried to force himself to stop blushing like an idiot at the prospect of Kyuhyun liking him. Kyu was an -especially to him- why in the zombie infested world would the idiot like him; after only a few hours of knowing him, no doubt.

 

Jinki snorted, moving closer to poke Sungmin’s pink cheek childishly. (Their child-like personalities really matched up well with each other)

 

“Awww, you like him too!” Jinki squealed, pinching Min’s cheek quickly before scuttling away with a jovial giggle; running towards the lab doors.

 

Sungmin snarled, a blush still dusting his cheeks. With a smooth ninja move, he grabbed the large jug of hydrochloric acid before running out of the swinging doors, yelling threats after Jinki.


 

Sungmin groaned tiredly, stumbling into the room that he now shared with that demon, Kyuhyun. He could clearly see a large lump in the cot on Kyu’s designated side of the room, brown hair splayed lazily across the white pillow. The younger was turned away from Sungmin, laying completely still; seemingly asleep.

 

With a tired sigh, Min stumbled over to his side of the room, gingerly placing his backpack onto the bed. He had somehow kept the pack on his person for the entire day. Force of habit maybe. Or maybe, it was a sense of comfort for him.

 

For six years, only the straps of the black bag had hugged him tightly; replacing the arms of his loved ones that he had lost.

 

Reaching into the backpack, Sungmin pulled out a small notebook; the sides and corners worn through the years and constant use. On the leather cover, carved into the material in fancy cursive, there was a name.

 

A name that Sungmin truly missed with all his heart.

 

He gently placed the worn book on his pillow, petting the cursive letters with one hand.

 

Sungmin placed his bag on the floor, letting it lean against one of the bed’s legs. With only a little bit of hesitance, he stripped himself of his scent-masking jacket, his dainty hands carefully hanging it from the hood on one of his clothes drawer’s handles. He knew he was safe in the Resistance building. It was zombie proof, after all.

 

He set himself comfortably under the bed covers, softly pulling the leather notebook off of his pillow and into his arms; replacing the spot on the pillow with his head. Snuggling into the soft covers, he hugged the book closely to him. A small, content smile played on his lips as he slowly relaxed into the bed.

 

“Good night, Dad.” He mumbled, leaving a tiny kiss on the name inscribed on the notebook’s cover.

 

Lee Chun-hwa


 

At the sound of deep breathing, Kyuhyun rolled over in bed. He moved so that he had a perfect angle of the bed on the other side of the room; a cute bunny-like face showing itself to him. At the sight, his heart beat rapidly in his chest.

 

A snarl formed on his lips, his deep eyes quickly closing tightly as if in pain from the thumping in his chest. He pulled the covers over his head, letting out a stuttering breath. His mind’s usual quiet darkness was suddenly overtaken by adorable bunnies and bright colors.

 

With his hands clenching on the ends of his covers, he let out a growl of defeat.

 

“. I like him.” He whispered into his sheets.


 

The sound of a spring drizzle hit against the walls of the building, causing a calming melody of nature to spread throughout the Resistance building. The laboratory door slowly creaked open, a head of short blond hair popping in. Light brown eyes shifted slowly around, scanning the room.

 

The moonlight seeping in through the window glinted off of the various beaker and flasks, casting an unearthly glow through the expanse of the room.

 

With cautious and quiet steps, the blond made his way in, walking through the aisles made by the tables. He faltered in his step when he reached a door at the end of the room. His sad eyes looked at the doorknob hesitantly before regaining their nerve and looking around the room again, cautiously.

 

Quietly, he twisted the doorknob, slipping inside the relatively smaller room. Making absolutely sure that nobody was following him, he shut the door stealthily, looking back ahead of him as he turned into the room.

 

In the middle of the medium sized dwelling, a tall glass cube was positioned firmly on the white floor; various machines hooked up to it and creating a wall around it on three sides.

 

A sad smile stretched the man’s lips, his feet slowly walking toward the cube. Placing a gentle hand on the glass, he stared inside with teary eyes.

 

A form from inside the glass confines slammed against the glass, causing the glass against the man’s fingers to vibrate. He didn’t flinch at all, his hand pressing further against the cool surface, instead. He smiled bitterly, moving even closer to the cube.

 

Desperate moans and screams reverberated from inside the cube, echoing sickeningly through the room. Large, discolored hands struck the indestructible glass, loud groans accompanying the sounds of slamming.

 

The man held up his other hand, placing it beside his twin as it trembled. He pressed his head against the glass between his hands, the pale appendages clenching into trembling fists. Sobs escaped him, tears slowly sliding down his pale cheeks as the slams and screams continued.

 

“It’s me, Teukie.” He whispered against the glass, “Don’t you remember me?” A sob escaped him, the creature growling at him; unfeeling.

 

Leeteuk slid down to the ground, his hands trying to find purchase from the sleek glass. Loud panting and growling continued from inside the cube, the creature following his movements and continuing its slams against the glass.

 

“Please… remember me. Come back to me.” Leeteuk sobbed, looking up at the growling creature that was trying so hard to reach for him through the glass. Through his blurred eyes, all he could see was a drooling, blood thirsty zombie; its dead eyes looking straight into his.

 

“Kanginnie… come back to me.”

 

 

 

 

 

 


Well look who updated. *proud of myself*

This update went quicker than I thought it would. *deserves a high five*

OH! Thank you to all of you little weirdos who find this story appealing! Here, have some Jinki booty

Yo man, 245 subbies and 32 votes.

BRO.

I'M PRETTY GODDAMN SURE THAT THIS STORY ENOUGH NOT TO DESERVE THIS.

COMMENT and VOTE please~ *bribes you with SHINee booty*

OKAY BAI!