Chapter 1

Blue Green

When you're five you don't know much.  You don't know how the world works. You don't understand the need of taxes, money and power. But you do know something. And that's the difference between good and bad. Bad is the monsters under your bed. Whispering into your ear as you sleep. Telling you to come under. Come play. Bad is the dark. The darkness that hides shadows and it's suffocating. Because you don't know what's in it. Good is waking up to the sun and the smell of breakfast made by mommy. The sound of daddy's laughter when you do something silly. Good is fuzzy, bright and full of smiles. Good is family. Good is hope. And hope is something you can hang onto forever.

Well that's Do Kyungsoo's definition of good and bad. Because that's all his five year old mind knows. So when he wakes up one morning to the smell of mommy's breakfast and the hair ruffle from daddy, he knows today is going to be a good day.

He finished breakfast and peaked out the livingroom window.

"Umma look ! Grandma is here !" Kyungsoo cried. He loved his grandmother. Because she was smiles and hugs and fuzzy. She was good.

"Yes she came to watch you for a few days because Appa and I have something important to do at work." 

"I'll go get her !" Kyungsoo jumped down from the couch and ran to the door. Not slipping any shoes on he opened the door and ran down the porch steps.

"Halmeoni !"

Kyungsoo jumped on the women. She smiled cheekily and picked Kyungsoo up before spinning him in a hug.

"How's my favorite grandson ?" she asked.

"I'm your only grandson." he giggled as she blew kisses on his cheek before sitting him down.

"Ahh right. How could I forget."

"Halmeoni Soo will get your bags !" Kyungsoo said going over to the already opened trunk. He used his small arms to lift him up from the groud and reached in to grab the handle of the suitcase. Tugging it moved slightly. Huffing, Kyungsoo put more strength into it and tugged. He lost balance and almost fell on his buttom. Strong arms caught him and craddled him to a chest.

"Are you okay Baby Soo ?" his father asked him.

"Ne. Thank you Appa !" Kyungsoo said giving him a kiss on his cheek. His wrinkled his nose at his dad aftershave smell. He always smelt manly and strong. It was very comforting to the small toddler.

Putting Kyungsoo down, the boy eyes flickered across the street when he saw something white drive by.

"What's that appa ?"

"New neighbors it seems. Come on kiddo. We have to get you to school." Mr. Do said before slipping Kyungsoo into the back seat of their car and reaching to buckle him in his seat.

"Ani appa. I can do it. I'm a big boy." Kyungsoo said using both hands to hold the seat belt as he tried to put it in. Mr.Do chuckled before holding it and Kyungsoo buckled himself.

"See !"

"Good job Soo." he ruffled his hair before getting into the drivers seat. The backed up out the drive way but didn't get any further before Mrs.Do came running out the door. Holding a pair of tiny green sandals.

"Wait ! Honey !" she cried and Mr.Do stopped. He rolled down the window, eyebrow cocked in confusion.

"What's wrong jagiya ?" he asked.

"Shoes." she simply said smirking. They both turned to look at their five year old son. Kyungsoo was giggle into his hands as he wiggled his toes.

"What did I tell you about going out the house with no shoes?" Mr.Do said.

"Mianhaeyo appa." Kyungsoo giggled. "But I like the way the earth feels on my feet."

.

.

.

They entered the school and Mr.Do kissed his sons head.

"Grandma will pick you up okay. Now if anything goes wrong you call umma or me understand ?"

Kyungsoo nodded.

"Good. Have fun Soo."

Kyungsoo's nose scrunched up at the word fun. School was okay. But better if you had friends. Kyungsoo slipped his shoes off quickly and put them in his cubby. He took his pororo book bag off and hung it up before walking to his seat.

"Kyungsoo-yah if Saenghun has five red apples and Yooni has three yellow apples, how many apples do they have all toether ?" the teacher asked the boy. It was the last question before the kids had lunch then recess.

"Hmm..."Kyungsoo thought. "Eight."

"Correct. Clean up and go wash your hands for lunch."

After they did just they they quickly at before going outside to the play ground. Kyungsoo ran to the jungle gym. His arms climbing up high to his favorite spot. When he reached the top he could see everything.

"Hey look there's a new kid."

"Where ?"

"Over there. Talking to Hunlee."

Kyungsoo's ears picked up the conversation and he turned his head to see an unfamilar figure.

"Wow we never get new kids."

"Do you think he would want to play ?"

"Let's go see."

The rest of the kids got off the jungle gym and walked over to the new kid. Kyungsoo swented his eyes but still couldn't make out  the figures face. Climbing down from the jungle gym, he quickly scampered across the play ground to where everyone was at. Hiding behind a tree, he peaked and gasped.

The new kid had black hair that was cut needly in it's style. His skin was slighlty darker then most but not that much. Barely noticeable for Kyungsoo. The thing that made him gasp though were his eyes. They were so dark and intense for a five year old it made Kyungsoo's little heart beat fast.

"What's your name ?"

"Jongin."

"Jongin-ah come play with us !" Some kids shouted and the boy known as Jongin smiled. But before he turned to them he looked up. He felt someone staring at him. Eyes connecting with Kyungsoo and the small boy hid back from behind the tree.

For the first time dark, was not necessarly bad for Kyungsoo.

.

.

.