Fighter

Cheonsa
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

     Haneul felt comfort in the presence of the familiar face, a sense of belonging, and she somehow knew that the other angel was a friend. But as quickly as the vision had appeared, it was gone, and she was back in the gym with L where she stood still, stunned for the moment. Though only a mere sentence had been spoken, just seeing another angel made her realize how much she yearned for her friends and family, somewhere a world away.

     Sungkyu's voice finally brought her attention out of its trance. "Haneul, I wanted you to come here today so we can explain ourselves—explain who Infinite really is," he said, taking a deep breath. Haneul glanced around, as if willing that friend to return to her side, but she knew not to get her hopes up on such a silly idea.

     The friends she had by her side now were human, and as confusing and tainted as they may have been, they had shown nothing but genuineness to her thus far. When Sungkyu came clean, she couldn't say that she completely understood what he was saying, or that she understood why it was they thought fighting was okay. Violence was far from virtuous, but she didn't see darkness or evil or aggression in the hard eyes of the seven young fighters. She saw the hospitality that had helped her in her time of need, and the kind of camaraderie that was shared only by brothers.

     She listened intently as Sungkyu launched into an explanation of why humans fought each other for sport, but it was a very difficult concept for her to grasp. Angels were just too peaceful to ever do such a thing, never mind having violence for recreation. It was a long, hard talk, and Haneul's expression was plagued by a frown for most of it. She looked around at the faces she thought she had known, wondering how such nice people could possess such a capacity for violence, but Sungkyu stressed that fighting did not make them bad people. She nodded and took his word for it since they were only human after all, and what a peculiar little species they were.

     Sungyeol made the fighting seem less scary by playing with her with a punching bag, and Sungjong showed her some stretching exercises—though angels were more flexible than humans due to their lightweight bones, lithe build, and supple joints. When she inquired about what the boxing ring was for, Hoya and Dongwoo smirked at each other. Wasting no time, both of them laced up and entered the ring. Sungjong made a bell sound for them to start, and Haneul watched them fight for the first time, holding her breath all the while.

     "But why would you want to fight each other?" she eventually asked, and Dongwoo grinned.

     "Don't worry, we don't get hurt that badly. It's all for fun," he explained, and they tapped their boxing gloves together to begin another round.

     Haneul still felt worried every time she saw one of them get hit, and she refused to watch the match. She didn't care how much they tried to reassure her, she just didn't like it. But as the afternoon progressed, she began to relax a little, trusting at least that nobody was going to kill each

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter