Identity

Cheonsa
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

     “Sungjong, how do you get someone to forgive you?” Haneul inquired as Sungjong came back to the bedroom a short while later from checking on Sungyeol.

     “Well… That depends on how serious it is,” he replied.

     “Just a little serious,” she held her thumb and forefinger close together. In truth, she wasn’t sure of how serious the problems she had caused were, but for now she would hope they were minimal.

     Sungjong thought for a moment. “Just apologize, then. If that doesn’t work… Maybe give them a gift? I don’t know.”

     Haneul pouted. “I don’t have anything to give,” she mumbled, “Maybe a little more serious then?”

     Sungjong was quiet for a little longer this time. “Talk it out with them; that’s probably the best thing you can do. If the person’s really upset, try to make it up to them somehow,” he advised her. “Why… Is something wrong?”

     This time, Haneul was the one that had to think it over. “To be honest, I’m not sure,” she replied, an evident crease forming between her eyebrows.

     For angels, apologizing was easy. To admit one’s wrongs, all an angel had to do was convey their sincere apology through touch, and that was enough to earn another angel’s forgiveness because there was no purer form of apology than one’s own thoughts, one’s own regret. For humans, however, this was not an option. Even when Haneul did share her thoughts with the others, she knew they would never fully realize the magnitude of their genuineness, because their human mindsets were tainted with the idea of ‘lying’. Even with the knowledge that angels could never lie with their thoughts, suspicion would always remain in their subconscious because humans had evolved not to trust each other. This, she found, was one of the saddest things about their species.

     Not knowing which method of apologizing would work, Haneul decided she would just have to try all of them. Sungyeol was the easiest to find, since he was still bedridden—or rather, couchridden—and he was already awake when Haneul walked out into the living room. He made only brief eye contact before turning to face the back of the couch, pretending to go back to sleep.

     “Sungyeol,” Haneul called out, not letting his ruse come to fruition, “I’m sorry.”

     Sungyeol turned back to face her, confusion turning the gears in his head. “You’re not the one that should be sorry, Haneul; I am.”

     “Well whatever it is that’s making you avoid me,” Haneul continued, “For that I am sorry.”

     He stared back at her for a good long moment, thinking hard before he spoke. “You’ve done more for me than I ever could have asked of you,” he spoke, “You have nothing to be sorry for.”

     Sungyeol adjusted his position on the couch with a grunt and closed his eyes, hoping to drift back into a semi-restful sleep. Haneul wanted nothing more than to reach out and finish what she had started, but Sungyeol and the others had forbidden her from using her healing powers until they deemed she was better. With a sigh, Haneul resigned from her first attempt. If a human apology wouldn’t work, perhaps an angel one would.

     She found Hoya speaking with Dongwoo, Woohyun, and Sungkyu in the kitchen. Woohyun inclined his head in her direction as she entered, probably the first gesture of companionship the two had ever shared, and Haneul turned her attention to Hoya. Walking over to him, she placed a gentle hand on his arm and looked at him expectantly. It was enough to make Hoya look over and study her carefully for a moment, but that as about the extent of her effect on him. Without acknowledging her apologetic message, Hoya turned back to the others, and Haneul let her hand fall back to her side in defeat.

     With how stubborn these humans were proving to be, this apologizing business would have to be a little more serious, Haneul decided. She went back to the bedroom to ask Sungjong what exactly he meant by ‘talking it out’—as she was never good with words and wasn’t sure what there was to talk about regardless—but she didn’t have a chance to get the answers she was looking for as it was L, not Sungjong, whom she almost walked into as she entered.

     “Myungsoo,” she stated in surprise.

     L immediately eyed the door, a

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter