Father

Cheonsa
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

     The morning was met with a tense atmosphere as the weary members of Infinite dragged themselves out of bed one by one. Conversation was scarce; most of them were thinking about either L's reckless fight or the kid they had beat up last night. It was their responsibility after all to take care of problems like this before they could escalate. Whether they liked it or not, what was done was done.

     L was exceptionally rough that morning. Having been adamant about his refusal for Haneul's healing, his face and body were still riddled with gashes and bruises here and there, and dark circles beneath his eyes suggested that his night had been rather sleepless.

     His determination was waning. He had kept his distance from Haneul last night to prove a point to Sungkyu—or perhaps even to prove a point to himself—but his resolve was gradually slipping. He had hardly slept at all, tossing and turning until he simply gave up and tried to pass the time by tending to his wounds.

     L winced as he sat down on a chair in the kitchen, and as much as he tried to hide his discomfort, Sungkyu noticed.

     "Still sure you don't want to be healed?" he asked expectantly.

     "I told you, I don't need her," L said a low voice, and Sungkyu raised his eyebrows.

     "Suit yourself."

     "Myungsoo, I need you," Haneul's chiming voice suddenly called out from behind them, and L's eyes widened, wondering if she had heard him.

     "What?"

     "I need you to come with me to visit the sisters today," she said.

     L mentally slapped himself, Of course that's all she meant.

     Haneul hadn't forgotten the request Haein had made after her last visit, nor did she forget her promise to comply. "Well, can you come?"

     After hesitating for only a moment, L found himself nodding. "Sure," he replied, not even trying to refuse this time. Sungkyu just laughed quietly to himself at how quickly L's stubbornness had disappeared.

     Now that he had finally turned to face her, Haneul gasped, covering with her hand in surprise. "Myungsoo, your face. Did you lose a fight?" She quickly walked over, cupping her hands over his cheeks, but he turned away.

     "It's fine," he insisted, "Just leave it."

     Sungkyu rolled his eyes. Maybe not all of his stubbornness had disappeared after all.

 

     Ignoring Haneul's attention and not giving her any in return turned out to be much harder than L had anticipated. Each time Haneul would hold onto his arm as they walked through the streets, he would subtly pull away, still trying to prove some kind of a point—though to whom, he wasn't quite sure of anymore. It became increasingly difficult to slip out of her grasp until she simply grabbed onto his hand and refused to let go. L decided to ignore it, turning his attention elsewhere as if nothing had ever happened.

     Haneul kept glancing at his face every once and a while, studying his features for a few seconds longer than necessary, and L wasn't sure why until they passed a large display window where he caught his own reflection in the glass. Through their clasped hands, the sneaky angel had managed to extend her powers and heal the wounds on his face, all the while keeping her thoughts hidden so that he wouldn't know her true intentions until the job was done. He looked at Haneul incredulously, but she too turned her attention elsewhere as if nothing had ever happened.

     When they reached the shop, the sisters were delighted to see the two once again. They seemed certain that Haneul would have plenty of progress to share with them, and so she wasn't sure how to break it to them kindly that this had not been the case.

     The first thing she made sure to ask about was a human dictionary, but the sisters remorsefully replied that they carried no such thing in their shop. They did, however, advise her to check some wondrous thing called a 'bookstore', and Haneul made a mental note of this new word.

     Haeyang then invited them both to sit at the small table by the window that had two square cushions on either side, and she and her sister seated themselves across from them.

     "So are you actually going to give her information this time, or are we still toying with your useless riddles?" L asked

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter