Trinity

Cheonsa
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

     The air in the old shop was static and stiff, and nobody moved a muscle. All three of them were stunned, not so much by the woman's strange use of rhyme, but by her perception of Haneul's hidden wings. None of them could fathom how she possibly could have known that Haneul was an angel.

     "P-Pardon me?" Dongwoo asked uncertainly, hoping he had either heard the woman wrong, or she was merely speaking figuratively.

     "Do not be alarmed, for the truth we do know. An enlightenment of sorts we did undergo," the black haired woman spoke up, "Dear child, we know that you come to us now, searching both the why as well as the how."

     "Allow us to introduce ourselves if we may. Perhaps your trust will come easier this way," the white haired woman spoke again, as if they were taking turns, "I am Haeyang, and my sister, Haein—the oracles of realms of both goodness and sin."

     Haneul, Dongwoo, and L were speechless, not sure what to make of the situation. Dongwoo was trying to figure out if they were joking, while L was seriously contemplating the sanity of the two elders when Haneul finally spoke up.

     "You know who I am?" she asked carefully, "You know where I came from?"

     L recognized the glint of hope in her voice and started to wonder if this was really a good idea.

     "Would you be able to answer my questions? I have so many, I really can't remember a thing. What about my home? …My home, do I have one? A family? Will I see them again?"

     Of course, Dongwoo wanted her to be able to find her answers, especially if it meant remembering her family. L, on the other hand, was worried that these two herbalists would only deliver disappointment. He knew all too well how crippling disappointment could be, not being able to remember anything of his own past. Memory had become a ball and chain that held him down and would burden him for the rest of his life. He didn't want the same thing to happen to Haneul.

     "I believe you know more than you are aware, though there is a story we would like to share," said Haeyang, and Haneul listened intently to the impossibly familiar tale that the two sisters had to tell. The smoldering incense hidden away somewhere in the shop gave off a strong aroma, its thin streak of smoke floating upwards and adding to the mystic atmosphere as Haeyang spoke:

     "There exists two more creatures
     Of opposite features,
     Though this much you are well aware.
     Two beings of legend,
     Of hell and of heaven,
     To which humans could never compare.

     The angels of light,
     The demons of might,
     So boastful of skills they employed.
     But peace was done for,
     As the races did war,
     And each other they nearly destroyed.

     So the angels and demons,
     Both sentient beings,
     Created the Great Realms Three.
     And with forces collided,
     The worlds too divided,
     Now the Yin and the Yang are we."

     Perhaps it was her strange compulsion to speak in rhyme, or perhaps it was the pure captivation that her words were able to evoke, but L had been unexpectedly drawn in by her story. But it was true—Haneul felt like she already knew all of this. With Dongwoo and L by her side, all three of them stood in amazement. Haeyang retrieved a dusty old book off of a shelf, its ancient bindings fragile and worn. Placing it down on the barren countertop, Haneul's eyes widened.

     "I know that symbol," she said, pointing at the book's cover, "I've seen it before."

     Her memory flashed for just an inst

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter