Experience

Cheonsa
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

     Sungjong brought Haneul out into the city again the next day, although they weren't going very far from home. He had wanted to show her more of the neighborhood, show her more human things, and she was happy to go along.

     They stepped out from a convenience store with a bag full of snacks. She liked the way the bell would ding each time the door opened and the little crinkling sound of the plastic bag as it swung from Sungjong's hand. She liked being outside, experiencing things like this. The crunch of stones and gravel beneath her feet as they walked, the hum of running motors cruising through nearby streets, the white noise of the city—she thought it all wove together so nicely.

     The weather was confused about what it wanted to do that day. Haneul looked up at the sunny sky, but it was partly covered by pale swirls of dark grey as if a wispy herd of dust bunnies was charging in to take over. She suddenly felt something wet on her nose, and she blinked as another drop landed upon her face a moment later.

     "Sungjong, is the sky dripping?" she asked, wiping the clear liquid from her cheek.

     "You mean raining?" he laughed in amusement, "It's a sun shower."

     "Yes, that's what I meant," she concluded. Even if she didn't understand all the words humans had, she could still get her point across. It was then that she realized she had forgotten about looking for a dictionary at the sisters' shop. Next time for sure, she thought to herself. But that also reminded her: there was still another word that she didn't yet understand. Sungjong was nice and showed her lots of new things, but still not this one in particular.

     "Can you show me something else?" she suddenly asked.

     He shrugged. "Like what?"

     "What's a kiss?"

     Sungjong raised his eyebrows in surprise, and again he laughed. "I don't think I'm the right person to explain that one to you. How about you ask the others when we get home, okay?"

     Haneul pouted, but nodded along in compliance. Was it something hard to explain? She wondered if the humans perhaps underestimated her intelligence. She was sure she would be able to understand it if they would just show her already.

     As the rain picked up, it came down in heavier showers that shimmered in the sunlight, drenching the earth and cleansing the street of dust and debris. Without any cover, the rain began soaking through the fabric of their clothes, and Haneul could feel the material sticking to her shoulders. "Shouldn't we get under shelter?" she asked, and Sungjong surveyed his own wet clothes.

     "Well, it's just water," he reasoned, "Once you've gotten wet anyways, it's fun!"

     He ran off ahead of her, splashing through puddles and lifting his face to greet the sparkling rain with closed eyes. Haneul grinned and ran after him; this was fun. She pranced and twirled through the rain, holding her arms out as she spun round and round until she was dizzy. Their laughter joined the sound of splashing and rainfall, and the surrounding trees and buildings looked glossy with the reflection of the sun. They raced each other the rest of the way home, hopping over trickling streams that formed at the sides of the road and ran down along the curbs of the street.

     By the time they made it back, the rain had let up to the point that it was merely a light mist, and the sun cast a faint rainbow over the blue dome of sky above their heads. A breeze rustled through the trees and Haneul shivered, turning her face to the sun in an attempt to capture some of its warmth.

     "We're going to need some towels," Sungjong laughed as they walked up the stairs.

     Haneul scratched her cheek. "What's a towel?"

     Sungjong just laughed and went inside. Sungkyu stared at them as they stood by the doorway, beaming with giddiness and dripping all over the floor.

     "We have snacks!" Haneul held up the plastic bag excitedly as Sungjong left to find them both towels.

     "As long as they're not soggy," Dongwoo teased and beckoned Haneul to bring the bag over.

     Sungjong returned a few moments later with two towels in hand. "This is a towel," he waved it in front of her and then draped it over Haneul's head. She lifted it from her face and smiled at him in thanks.

     She set the plastic bag down on the table in the living room before wrapping the warm towel around herself, plunking herself down cross-legged in front of the table as the others gathered around to eat and watch television. Sungjong rubbed his head quickly with the towel to dry his hair, and Haneul tried to mimic him—though it didn't work so well since her hair was much longer.

     "Here," L's voice appeared beside her, and she suddenly felt him pulling the towel out of her hands. He combed through the mess that had become of her hair, then proceeded to pat it dry. Haneul smiled a

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter