Chapter Twenty Five

Even when the Sun Rises

I pushed through the crowd to the front, went around the guards who were ushering Rain’s fans out the exits. Mr. Francisco started to send people out who reluctantly got out of their seats.

“Rain,” I jumped up onto the stage, someone turned to me. It was him, not caring who saw me I wrapped my arms around him, hugging him tight.

“I’m so glad,” I said, before looking up at him, confused why he hadn’t returned the hug. I turned to where he was looking. One of the dancers had their hand against the abdomen of a female dancer. A pool of red was leaking from underneath her black singlet. I covered my mouth to prevent a gasp.

“Oh Rain…”

“She was shot,” Rain took a deep shuddering breath, “while she was coming to stand in front of me as part of the dance.” I put a hand on his face and rubbed the hair that was on his ear in-between my fingers

“I’m sorry,” I said and he turned his head to nudge my hand with his cheek; my heart aching as I saw tears form in his deep brown eyes. He lifted his gaze up and sighed hard, wiping his face as a few saltwater drops trickle down his face. I bit my lip as he breathed heavily in and out.

“The ambulance just arrived,” a back up dancer told the others, face drenched in sweat. Some of the other dancers sighed in relief while one gave a loud groan. I heard Rain wince so I made shushing noises to calm him.

“Hey how is everyone?” I lowered my hand as Mr. Francisco came onto the stage. I stood close to Rain; I kept my eye on him as well as my boss.

“We are all alright,” another guy (who I was guessing was the head dancer). “All except Marcia,” I heard another shudder from Rain so I quickly slipped an arm around him acting as if it was the most natural thing to do.

“Well…” Mr. Francisco looked at Rain and I stepped away, “we paid you a lot to perform. Are you going to continue?” I looked at my boss in horror. He has the nerve to ask such a thing?

“But sir,” the head dancer spoke again, ”who’s going to take Marcia’s place? We are short on numbers without her.” Rain looked at me. I knew what he was getting at. I shook my head while he nodded.

“What about Sam?” They all stopped arguing to look at me. I swallowed hard. Mr. Francisco raised his eyebrows at me.

“You Slots? Do you think you can dance?” Uh oh was he expecting a response?

“Yes,” I said with a firm voice, “I can.” Some people gasped and I heard Rain chuckle. Mr. Francisco didn’t look convinced but he didn’t argue, “fine then. Go get ready and the show will recommence in ten minutes.” Everyone sighed out in relief, all but me. I was beginning to freak out.

“Am I really doing this?” I asked turning to Rain, “I mean… What if I…”

“You’ll be fine,” Rain said giving me a hug from the side, “I know you can,” he said softly. I let a breath go and nodded.

“Alright,” I said he smiled and patted me on the head, “that my girl.” Never in my life had I heard something as simple as that sound so y before.

“Miss Sam?” I turned to hear one of the female back up dancers calling out to me. I reached up and pecked Rain on the cheek.

“Be back later,” I added as I left with the dancer. I didn’t get to see how he reacted to that.

***

She took me to a room which had become a large female dressing room where I sat on a stool. She spoke to a hair dresser who quickly teased my hair to make it poof and then the makeup artist came and put smoky colored eye shadow and eyeliner around my eyes. When this was done the dancer bought me an outfit like the one the wounded Marcia had been wearing, black midriff singlet and grey baggy pants plus a pink baseball cap and a pink sweat band. There was even a pair of white sneakers to complete the look.

“Quickly put these on,” she begged shoving me to the direction of a walled off area and closing the door before I could protest.

I got changed and revealed myself. The girl’s mouth gaped open.

“Wow, you definitely dance,” was the first thing she said. I stared down at myself. I looked at her stomach.

“Your abs are much bigger than mine,” I said and she looked too.

“Bigger but not as defined,” she said gesturing for me to come. I began to grab my clothes.

“Oh leave them in here,” she said and I put them on a chair, she took my wrist and I followed her out of the room.

***

For the first time in a long time I was nervous. I had no idea what was going to happen, either it would work up and I would screw up big time. I hoped it wasn’t going to end up being the second option.

I stood in place while the audience settled down. Mr. Francisco went onto the stage with a microphone.

“Ladies and gentleman, we apologize for the incident we will now recommence activities.” There were murmurs as people reluctantly clapped while some fan girls cheered.

“Now I will let Rain take over,” Mr. Francisco said and more cheering happened. I took a deep breath as the music started up again, Rain began to sing and dance as if unaffected by the recent event. I watched him keeping in time and waiting for the cue. It was made and I walked out on the stage and into position with the other girls. I danced in time with him and was able to remember the choreography, people clapped while some jealous girls screamed when I got to touch Rain in places they would only dream of touching. I couldn’t help but smirk at their jealousy; in honesty I really loved this.

The music ended and I moved to the final pose. Still in character Rain ended the song and then the music stopped. The crowd went wild as the lights dimmed away and we could move. The other dancers came to the front and one of them held my hand while Rain held the other. I looked at him surprised, the lights came on and all at the same time we bowed. I felt delight and joy overcome me and my eyes started to get blurry. I blinked hard as we were ushered off stage. It was time for the staff talent show to begin.

We came off the stage and the dancers all celebrated, Rain got handshakes and hi-fives from the dancers. I saw Bunny come over to me excitedly and hug me.
“You were amazing!” She said releasing me, “oh yeah, by the way Curtis Patrick was arrested. The sergeant has filed an appeal to re-investigate Curtis Patrick.” This was another brilliant moment. I smiled at this and saw my dad over Bunny’s shoulder. Bunny understood and left me with him.

I hadn’t seen tears in my father’s eyes for a few years. He had barely even cried when my mum had died. He opened his mouth to speak but instead he pulled me in a hug.

“It’s been a long time since I saw my little girl dance,” I nodded, tears in my own eyes.

“I’m proud of you Sam,” I swallowed a huge lump in my throat and wiped my eyes when he ended the hug.

“Ok and next on stage,” Mr. Francisco read the list, “We have Keyonce who will sing for us.” We all turned to Keyonce who seemed surprised. Dad looked back at me.

“She sings?” He asks, I nodded to him as my response.

“Yeah but she hasn’t ever signed up for the talent show yet…” I stopped, a grin coming over my face.

“I think I know who, excuse me,” I told him going to find Rain. That sneaky man, but I think he did a good thing.

***

I paid no attention to what was happening in the background though I heard the band starting to play an Alicia Keys song and Keyonce’s voice booming from the microphone.

“Ah excuse me,” I stopped and turned to face a red headed woman with a man that had a thin moustache.

“How can I help you?” I asked, trying not to seem rude.

“I am one of the head choreographers at the Dance Academy in Brooklyn. We specialize in Hip hop and Jazz.” I nodded, I knew of them. I use to once to audition for them, back when my mum had been around.

“I was very impressed by what I saw up there, and just one question. Do you professionally train at all?” I shook my head.

“Nope, what you saw there was just hours of hard work and love to the art,” I said proudly. She was taken aback by my answer while her companion gave a hearty laugh.

“Well, in that case,” she showed me a business card and placed it in my hand, “we are having auditions in June in preparation for next year’s classes and it would be my pleasure if you came and auditioned. Chances are you would do very well there.” I stared at the black and white laminated card, the numbers and the words dancing out at me.

“Just give me a call if you need any more help,” I finally gave her my attention.

“Thank you,” I said, barely able to hide my joy.

“Have a good night,” she said and she indicated to the man and they left together. I held the card close to my heart and suddenly remembered I had to find Rain.

***

I hurried along the edge of the dance floor and almost banged into someone.
“Oh I am sorry…” I trailed off seeing it was him, he looked a lot more relaxed now he had taken the singlet off and was just wearing a sports jacket. His abs was showing… OH BOY!!

“Hey,” he said happily, “you look happy.” I nodded and revealed the card.

“Look, this is what the Brooklyn hip hop jazz academy gave me. They want me to try out.” Rain’s eyes lit up and the next thing I know he has me in a very firm hug.

“That is great,” he said spinning me a bit as he did.

“JiHoon… Can’t breathe,” I said and he laughed when I said his real name. He released me at last.

“So, what’s going to happen in your life now?” I asked him as I stood, our eyes interlocked in that way that was a magical moment.

“Well… A new album maybe,” he stopped what he was saying, “Sam would you be able to wait three years for me?” I blinked at him. That was a strange question.

“Um yeah I suppose, why?”

“Because that is when I will be able to return after my military service,” oh that made sense.

“Ok,” I told him, “is there anything else?”

“Work on your Korean?” I laughed at his request. Trust him to still expect that.

“For you JiHoon,” I began, “I would move to Korea so that I could become your back up dancer.” A smirk came over his face as he asked happily, “Why do that for me Sam?”

“Because…. Saranghae,” I said a shy smile on my face. I heard JiHoon smirk too as he took a few steps closer to me.

“Saranghae,” he said pushing the hair away from my face and caressing my cheek. I blinked slowly and he leaned in. I was ready this time. I closed my eyes; the smile growing larger as we finally kissed. He held it there for a moment and then released, I opened my eyes to look at him. My heart was racing half a mile an hour. I spotted someone waving over my shoulder and nearly died when I saw it was Tony and Bunny. She gave me thumbs up while Tony clapped. Rain heard the clapping and his ears went red. Rain turned to the dance floor, four of our bell boys was singing a Boyz two men song.

“Would you like to dance?” Rain asked. I smiled and took his hand walking with him to the edge of the floor. He put one hand around my waist and I put one on his shoulder as we did a slow waltz. He pulled me close to him; I smiled even bigger as I saw the same grin across his face.

Ok so I take back what I ever thought of celebrities. Maybe next time I will try and get to know them before judging them.

But now, I want to hold on to this moment that I am having with one of the most amazing people I had a chance to meet.

He tilts my chin up to him again. He has that playful look he has when there’s something he really is excited about. I didn’t get to ask when he lowered his head down again. I closed my eyes again as our lips touched again.

Yep, he’s being cheeky! I thought as we moved apart, I bet he’s trying to get third time lucky! I barely had time to think this as he came in a lot quicker. I quickly shut my eyes, trying not to laugh.

Yep, Tony was right. Cheeky bastard!

(Aww this is the end T_T. Hope this was satisfactory. So tell me what you think? Loved or hated it? What was the good, the bad and the ugly? Anything else you would like to say? Well I hope you also like the pic I put together. Thought I would do it for the last chapter as a way of saying thank you to everyone who read it though it isn’t very good >_< Bless you xxxx)