Chapter Ninteen

Even when the Sun Rises

I did my shift as normal but it felt strange not being close to Rain. I had to remember that it was for us that he did this. The bruise still hurt and I imagined people looking at it while I worked doing whatever needed to be done.

I was wiping tables when I heard someone approach me. I saw it was Rain. He was in some white shorts and a grey v-neck shirt. Handsome as he always was.

“Hey,” he said coming beside me, I did my best to not seem interested in case other staff were watching.

“Good morning,” I told him politely. He frowned, confused until he silently understood.

“How is work?” He asked leaning back against the table.

“Alright,” my eyes swiveled around checking all directions before I whispered, “Have you seen anything strange.” He thought.

“That man was with some other men just now,” he said, “I heard the word money and stealing too.” I retained my composure.

“Ah that isn’t good,” I said just as Bunny came over.

“Hi you two,” she glanced around before pulling us in to hear what she had to say.

“Have you got any dirt on Curtis Patrick?”

“Some, but we need proof,” I admitted, “any ideas?”

“Hmm I know someone who was waiting on them tonight. But they want to change with someone so I could take it.” I nodded, liking the sound of that.

“Ok, but be careful,” I added pointing to my nose.

“No problem,” Bunny left me and Rain. We both stood quietly.

“You are worried.” I was amazed at how easily he caught on.

“Umm, I might be,” I admitted, “but maybe because I could have a reason to put him behind bars.” Rain looked at me surprised.

“I thought you said you were going to forgive him,” Rain frowned.

“I am,” I told him, “but it will be when he’s been arrested.” Rain shook his head at me as he followed me towards the bar where I was next sent to work.

***

“WHAT?!” We walked into the lobby to hear Mr. Francisco yelling at one of the staff members. He was doing more than that; he was holding them at the scruff of the neck.

“What do you mean it’s gone?!” He continued right at the poor man’s face.

“Its true sir, half of the money is gone. We have no idea where it went.” I peered at him. He was from the casino.

“You are an idiot, how can someone just easily walk away with two point five hundred thousand dollars from the roulette table without being seen by one person?!” Mr. Francisco said.

“I don’t know sir… The money was counted and that’s what was missing. We don’t know how it happened.” Mr. Francisco sighed and released him.

“Go to the camera room and get me a list of every identified customer who was there from the time during the stealing, before and after even.” The man nodded.

“Yes sir,” he hurried off, still shaking.  Rain was quiet as we walked to the bar but I assumed he had something important on his mind.

***

When I sat him down by the bar he asked, “What’s roulette?”

“It’s a casino game where this ball spins in this top-like machine and it stops on a red or a black number,” he seemed to lose color in his face shortly after I told him this.

“JiHoon?”

“Did they say time of theft?” I shook my head.

“No but they believe it was around eight thirty to nine this morning,” I watched him swallow hard.

“I see,” he said, starting to sweat. I reached out to him when I heard someone’s singing from the tables.

“Who’s that?” He asked bobbing his head to the imaginary beat that the person was singing to. I concentrated on the voice.

“That’s Keyonce,” I told him. His eyes brightened.

“She’s very good,” he told me, I nodded not admitting that I was deep down jealous of her singing ability. Most African Americans seem to be able to sing well and that is a big stereotype I know.

“Yes she is,” I agreed. Someone walked over to us. Mr. Francisco was there with two security guards. They were coming straight at us. They stopped, he nodded to the two goons who came and stood on both of Rain’s sides.

“Mr. Francisco what are you doing?” I looked in horror as they pulled Rain’s arms behind his back. He made no attempt to resist but I cringed when he silently winced.

“I am arresting Mr. Jung on suspicion of theft.” I gasped, went back to Rain.

“What? Is that why you were…?” Rain hung his head low. I shook my head back and forth.

“No…” I glanced at Mr. Francisco, “sir please he didn’t steal anything!”

“Mr. Jung was at the crime scene around the time of the theft and he was one of the few who got large amounts of money from the game.” I didn’t believe it.

“JiHoon, tell me you didn’t do it!” Mr.Francisco frowned at me. I’d forgotten not to be informal.

“He will have to speak to the police who are on their way,” Mr.Francisco told me as the two guards started to lead him away, “you would be best to stay out of this.” I opened my mouth to protest but I shut it again. It was pointless; arguing could have meant I was fired.

“Understood sir,” I bowed to him and left, biting my quivering lip.

Rain… Please may you not be a thief.