2. I LOVE YOU BI!

Even when the Sun Rises

I sat up straight in my bed. For a while I'd wondered why he seemed familar to someone I'd seen in a movie. The question had been answered.
“OH MY GOSH!” Getting off my bed I walked to the coffee table and grabbed a whole heap of magazines. I flicked through it and then was on to the next one. Five magazines later I came to what I was looking for. A movie review, with Rain in a photograph doing chin ups in a dim light.

Ninja Assassin.

 “Hey Slots are you asleep?” Bunny called knocking on the door. She and I both shared quarters and tonight she finished at around ten.

“It’s all good, come in.” She opened the door and stepped in slipping her shoes off beside the door. She then started to strip while I stared at the photograph.

“What’s that?” She asked peering at it while ing her high collared blouse.

“You know that Asian guy?”

“Which one? The two old ones or that hunk in the suit?” Monique asked walking into the bathroom. I heard the tap squeak and then the sound of water sprinkling.

“The one in the suit; he was in that movie.” I said holding up the article except she wouldn’t be able to see from the bathroom.“The one we watched with Tony, remember?”

“Oh you mean that gory Japanese one with the shirtless six-packed Asian?” She asked. “Yeah I know the one, Ninja… Warrior?”

“Ninja Assassin and he was the main character.”

“No way,” Bunny exclaimed emerging from the bathroom in her satin night gown holding her uniform draped on an arm. I nodded.
“Oh wow, he’s so hot,” she crooned peering closely at the photograph. “He looks like he's your type.”

"My what?!" I shut the magazine abrupty. "What are you on about Bunny?” She then sat down next to me with a rather amused expression.

“Oh come on Slots, he would be so good for you," she nudged me in the shoulder. "A hot, kicking Japanese guy who would be able to give you the moon and the stars sounds just right for you.”

“Umm actually he’s Korean, and what does the fact that he’s Asian have to do with me being with him?”

“Well aren’t you… Well half?” I sighed inwards wanting to hit my forehead with my hand.

“Yes but I’m half Chinese,” I stated. “There’s a big difference.”

“Yeah so? Well anyway it’s time you found someone by now.”

I put the magazine down to fold my arms. “Since when did I need a guy? I’m not wasting my life away.”

“But you are Slots, I mean you’re what? Thirty this year?”

“I’m twenty six,” I protested, annoyed at how she thought I appeared older. “It's not like I am one of those super models he probably gets to cahoots with.”

“Come on Slots, you’re gorgeous.” Monique sat next to me and held up my hair to let it fall down again. “You are tall, have lovely long dark hair, a great smile, a well defined nose..”

“Ok so I am a giant then,” I resigned. “Your point being what?”

“Look, all I am saying is that you should really think about it. You can’t stay here at the Plaza forever you know. You and I both know that and your dad does too.” I rested my head on a clenched fist. Talking about my goals in life wasn't my favourite topic for discussion.

“Yeah well, we’ll just see I guess,” was my final response. She hugged me and then bounced off my bed.

“Good, and nighty night Slots.”

“Night,” I said as she turned off the lights and we went to sleep. In my head I silently prayed that what she said would not affect me. The last thing I wanted was to get my hopes up.

***

The next morning I was to work at the pool until four o’clock and then it would be back at the dining hall for the rest of the night. Like the night before I was assigned to do waitressing which I was fine with. At least I could got to wear something a bit cooler; this time it was a the pool uniform, white polo shirt and long black shorts.

I went to the little bar where I got the drinks for the pool users and began my usual rounds. Unfortunately just as I was walking to the opposite side of the pool a particular person was walking along the opposite side. He was in black board shorts with a white and purple pattern and a short sleeved shirt which was ed. I was more surprised for his body which he was showing to the world. I had no idea he still had those muscles that were in the film and I would be lying if I said that I wasn't attracted to him.

I shook my head trying to concentrate and walkied to deliver a parvaitt that was slowly melting onto the tray. I handed the tray and watched him as he sat on one of the lounge chairs under an umbrella not moving. The only way to know if he was sleeping was to remove the shades.

“Hey miss,” I was interrupted by a gentleman who was missing his pina colata. I hurried to grab this while still keeping my eye on Rain. A moment later I came past with the man's drink. Where did all those fans come from? It was worse than a bee hive.  They were all screaming out Rain’s name and jumping up frantically waving their merchandise in the air.

“Rain!”

“Rain I love you!”

“You’re so hot!”

“Rain oppa!”

I rolled my eyes and tried to figure out a way to get past them. It was that moment that in the mass a girl stumbled backwards into the pool. The lifeguard was too far away to reach her in time. I put the tray down and slipped out of my shoes and socks. Then I remembered that as required I would have to enter in the swim suit I wore underneath in case I had to do relief. Right now I had to hurry, the girl may go under and not rise if I didn't act fast.

“Hold on!” I called to her as she squirmed in the water. The girls saw their distressed member and started to scream. Ignoring those staring at me I dived into the pool and surfaced next to her. With her lashing out to keep afloat her nails ran into my shoulder.

“It’s alright,” I called and then clung  to me, breathlessly. With one of my sides unable to move properly thanks to the extra weight I did an awkward to the edge of the pool where the lifeguard helped her out. One of the other waitresses was ready with a towel to wrap around the girls wet form as another waitress came with the first aid officer. While they checked the girl I bobbed in the water. Soon after the security guides start to usher the fans away from the scene. Some of them complained about how they didn’t get an autograph, talk about selfish!

My eyes suddenly met with his. I was unable to make out his expression behind his glasses so I assumed somehow I'd unintentionally caught his attention. I launched myself out of the pool and sat on the edge, squeezing the water from my ponytail.

“You did well,” a voice said. I turned my head in the direction it came from. Sure enough it was Bi.

I didn't feel like a hero, I didn't want praise. “I did what had to be done."

“She went deep didn’t she?” I didn’t know what he meant until I saw the scratch. The line was long but didn’t seem too deep. I got up going back to where my clothes were.I grabbed them and gently touched the wound. I winced from the sting. My hand travelled further along my shoulder to a small line that went horizontal along the arm. A scar that I'd forgotten about.