Chapter Eleven

Even when the Sun Rises


“Oh crap,” I exclaimed as I was coming to the bar to get my drinks for Rain. Tony raised his eyebrows at me while wiping the bar.

“Something the matter Slots?”

“I just said yes to going dancing with Rain,” I bit my lip, “when was the last time I went out?”

“Wasn’t it two years ago?” I turned and frowned at Tony.

“Ok sorry,” he raised his hands up in front of him in apology. He leaned forward.

“Tony, you are a guy right? What do you think? Should I do it?” He looked down at his pants and I saw his hands move. I watched him peer down.

“W-what are you doing?”

“Oh sorry, just checking that I was indeed a guy.”

“Gross,” I said hitting him with the cloth he’d been using.

“Now, hmm… He’s that hunky Asian I’ve been seeing around lately right?”

“Hunky? I would have thought handsome….”

“Oh really?” Oops I said that out loud right? I couldn’t keep eye contact with Tony for a moment after that.

“Hmm…. Maybe I should tell him…”

“Tony, no don’t!”

“I was kidding geez, besides you can do that if you go out with him tonight.”

“But tonight is not a date...”

“Relax Slots,” Tony handed me Rain’s beverage he ordered, “just go and have a good time. Date or not; even though it is.” I stuck my tongue out at him and he laughed.

“Ok,” I said, “thanks.”

“No problem,” he said going back to mixing drinks, “talk to you later.” I returned to Rain’s table happily though I could see Rain was puzzled as to why I was like this. Oh well he will have to wait and see.

***

“Oh my gosh I can’t believe you are going out with him!” Bunny squealed while I was blow drying my hair, “I’m so happy for you but jealous too!”

“Gee that’s good to know,” I replied putting the dryer down and running a hand through my hair. It was longer than I had thought, I need a cut soon.

“So do you need help with anything?” Bunny’s head appeared from around the bathroom door. I had a towel wrapped around me and my outfit was hanging on the back of the bathroom door. I cursed as I dropped one of my bobby pins.

“Yes, my hair’s being a pain,” I sighed as I crouched down to grab the pin.

“Why do you need to do it up?” Bunny rubbed the ends of my hair in her fingers, “you have such nice hair, why not leave it down?”

“Cos it’s such a mass of knots,” I ran a hand through a section and it got stuck. Bunny bit the edge of her lip.

“Ah well… Hold on,” she fumbled through the bathroom drawer which was hers and emerged with her de-tangle spray.  Shaking it she sprayed a whole heap on the back of my head making me cough. She then grabbed a comb and ran it through until she got most of the knots out. My hair was still rather wavy but there were fewer frizzes than before.

“Hmm, you need makeup,” I stared at her.

“What? You do have makeup don’t you?”

“Of course,” I showed her my cosmetics bag. She fumbled through and took out most of the makeup tools I owned.

“Ok sit down,” she instructed pointing to the bath. I sat down on the edge of the bath and she got to work.

About half an hour later she was done.

“Hmm it’s interesting doing your makeup,” she told me, “your skin tone can pretty much pull off any color. Say Slots, what does your outfit look like?”

“It’s on the back of the door,” I said. She walked and opened the door to see it. She then turned back to me.

“Oh wow Slots, it’s gorgeous. I can’t wait to see it on you.”

“Well give me a minute,” I gestured her out of the room and closed the door behind me. I faced the mirror; my face was staring at the stranger who was staring right back at me. Her face was a lot clearer from any pimples, her lips a slight bronze red that was not over powering. Eyes were lined with black eyeliner and mascara; there was a bronze eye shadow as well. With my hair groomed a lot better I looked like some deity.

Is this really me? I shook my head to focus on getting dressed. I slipped into the outfit, glad that it still fit. It had been a while since I had tried it on and I didn’t want to have to find something else.

I opened the bathroom door to find Bunny was sitting on the edge of my bed. She eyed me up and down jaw dropped.

“Holy… Slots you look gorgeous.”

“You think so?” I asked staring down at the dress. It was white and tight around the thighs up to my mid stomach. The top section was loose with a cut that showed my shoulders. The sleeves were bunched slightly and baggy from the back of the arm.

http://sentimental-ny.fashionstylist.com/cj/edressme/sentimental-ny/sentimental-ny-white-dolman-sleeve-mini-dresses-apparel-women-cocktail.jpg

“Hmm, I think I know how we can make you look amazing,” Bunny decided going into the bathroom. She appeared with hair elastic.

“Now stay still,” she stood behind me and did a French braid in my hair. When she was finished she let me look.

“Hmm, there’s something still missing,” she went to her chest of drawers and grabbed her jewelry box. She handed me some gold bangles. I stared at them.

“Bunny… I couldn’t.”

“Relax and there’s more.” I slipped the bangles on my left arm while she fished through her box. She held up a pair of small, gold hoops. She handed them to me. Hesitating I put them in.

“Oh wow Slots, now you look like a warrior goddess,” Bunny beamed. “Do you have shoes and a purse?” I held up a rectangle brown purse with a small gold chain and my brown sandals. I wasn’t use to high heels and I didn’t want to stand taller than Rain. I saw the time on the clock.

“Oh crud I need to go,” Bunny leaned forward and gave me a hug.

“Mm you’re wearing that perfume again.”

“Oh yeah,” I said sort of embarrassed.

“That’s the one you only wear on your birthday isn’t it?” I nodded. Bunny winked.

“Go get him tiger,” I grinned at her before placing my sandals on and walking out.

***
I was nervous the whole taxi ride there. I didn’t know what to make of this.

Is this a date? He didn’t say but did he hint at it?

I hope he is ok with me being late?

Am I wearing too much perfume?

“Miss,” the taxi driver interrupted my thoughts, I looked up at him.

“We’re here,” he said pointing to the flashing sign which said ‘rum jungle.’

“Oh sorry about that,” I fumbled through my belongings and handed him twenty five dollars, “here is that enough?” He counted the money and then held out his hand with the notes in it. I sighed and gave him another two dollars.

“Enjoy your night,” he said as I opened the passenger door and got out. I could hear the music blasting inside as people waited at the red cord railings.  Some women gave me looks but whether they were ones of disgust or jealousy I could not tell.

Rain… Where is he?
I peered down the line and saw a familiar face. Even amongst other clubbers I was still able to recognize Rain’s handsome features. I walked down the line to him. His eyes moved and stopped when they saw me. As I came to him I saw he was in a grey buttoned up shirt with the sleeves rolled up and a pair of jeans. Though he wasn’t as dressed up as some of the men in the queue before or after him I still found him the best looking guy out of them all.

He lifted up the railing for me to duck under and join him. I found I was standing too close to him so I took a step back.

“Umm, hi,” I managed to say suddenly feeling shy.

“Hello,” his mouth formed a smile, “you look…” He struggled with finding a word, “beautiful.” I turned away for a moment, my cheeks going hot.

“Thank you,” I managed to say, my attention back on him, “you look great yourself.” He stared down at what he was wearing.

“Took me long time to choose,” he grinned and I gave a small laugh. We came up to the entrance a few minutes later and Rain showed him the tickets. The bouncer nodded and we walked through.