Chapter Fourteenth

The Only One

 

Tears ran down the girl’s cheeks when she saw what the boy was trying to do. He was holding her doll away from her and she knew she wanted it back.

 

“G-give me Ki-ki back”

 

She had said between sobs but instead, she earn laughter from the boy. He is evil, always the evil one in her eyes. He bullies her every time he visit the orphanage with his mother. He wold take her things and hide it. But Donghae would be there to protect her and the boy listen to him more.

 

He was fond of Donghae.

 

But today, it was different. Donghe wasn’t there. Donghae was away because of some school work and she was left alone. It just had  to be fate that he came that day and took one of her thing. Her most precious item, her teddy bear giraffe. A present from Donghae, bought with his own money.

 

“P-please, I w-want Kiki b-back”

 

She begged jumping up and down trying to get it from his hand but he hold it up higher in the air. She desperately try to get it.

 

“You want it?” he said playfully as he ran away from her, “Come and get it”

 

And he ran around the park behind the orphanage. There was no one to help her and she want it back badly. So, she ran after him, tears flowing down her cheeks even more. But being the clumsy girl she is, she trip on her own foot and fell down. Her knees scrap against the sharp rocks making it bleed.

 

Loud wails came from the girl as she saw the blood. Being a seven years old, she wasn’t used to pain. And seeing blood had always made her cry.

 

The boy who was behind stop on his track when he heard her cry and turn to see the problem. He immediately went to her side when he saw her in pain.

 

“Are you okay?”

 

He ask crouching down making the girl shook her head and cry even more. The boy doesn’t know what to do had decide to run back to the orphanage. It was moments later when he came back with two women trailing behind him, the orphanage’s instructor and the other one his mother.

 

Janey, the orphanage’s instructor crouch down beside her and begin to inspect her wounds while Sunny scold the boy. “Sungmin, look at what you did!”

 

She exclaim and went to the girl’s side.

 

“Umma”

 

The girl exclaim as she threw herself onto Sunny while Sungmin look down, a pout came to his face. He felt guilty. Sunny immediately pick her up.

 

“It’s okay Wookie. You don’t need to cry. We’ll treat your wound later”

 

She said wiping Ryeowook’s tears away and went inside the orphanage.

 

It was an hour later when Sungmin had sneak into the girl’s dorm to look for Ryeowook. He was leaving soon and he needs to apologies to the girl for making her hurt, and cry. There was nobody except for one of the bed that was occupied with a body covered with the quilt.

 

“Wookie”

 

Sungmin called as he close the door behind him and went in. Ryeowook who heard that turn and widen her eyes when she saw him. She began to growl at him.

 

“What do you want?”

 

She ask, not liking this boy that had been the cause of her pin. Sungmin bit his lips as he stood in front of her, his hands tied behind him.

 

“I just want to say….. “ his words trail away and Ryeowook waited patiently. “Sorry” he muttered under his breath as he gave her Kiki back. Ryeowook’s eyes began to shine when she saw Kiki and she grab it from him, hugging it tightly. She smile at him cutely.

 

“Thank you”

 

She said and Sungmin smile before allowing himself to sit on the bed.

 

“I’m sorry for making you cry. And  making you hurt your knees. I’m sorry”

 

He had said and Ryeowook nod. “It’s okay. Sunny umma treated it already” she had said and Sungmin nod, knowing his mother had treated the girl’s wound.

 

“Does it hurt?” he ask and Ryeowook shook her head.

 

“It doesn’t anymore” she had said, a frown came to her face making Sungmin frown too. Unconsciously, Sungmin lean forward and peck her lips. Shock, she look at him with wide eyes while Sungmin could just smile.

 

“From now on, you need to smile and only smile, okay?”

 

He ask and soon Ryeowook smile. Seeing the cutest smile he had ever seen, Sungmin’s cheeks heated up. “I’m going away. I might not come here again” he said and Ryeowook felt really sad. She bit her lips before shoving Kiki to Sungmin and he look at her confused.

 

“Take it” she said and Sungmin’s jaws drop.

 

“As reminder of me. So we can meet again” she said and Sungmin nod, taking the teddy bear and grasp it slowly. He sigh as he fiddle inside his pocket before fishing out a pink bunny keychain. He took her hand before placing it on her palms.

 

“Now, we’re even”

 

He said and she smile before nodding, grasping the thing too.

 

“Sungmin, we need to go now”

 

They heard his mother calling for him. Sungmin felt sad that he’s going to leave Ryeowook. She was beginning to be his friend but if fate is on their side, they might meet again.

 

And soon, the bid goodbye.

 


 

“So, we meet again haven’t we?”

 

He ask as he went to the bench I was sitting on, pulling me out of the memories. I met him again, meeting him once more after 13 years has past. How could that be possible?

 

Lee Sungmin, no wonder he looks familiar. He was the boy, the boy who had bullied me yet comfort me after he gave me problems. The boy who had taken my precious Kiki and gave me a pink bunny keychain in return. And the boy who had…. my first kiss.

 

“Can I sit here?”

 

He ask and I stared at him. Though he hadn’t change much, he still had the cute and handsome face. I smile before nodding. He took the place beside me and we stood there in silence, not knowing what to talk about after years of meeting.

 

“Remember the last day we meet? When you were seven and I was nine?”

 

He ask and I chuckle, nodding lightly.

 

“Remember what I told you?”

 

He ask again and I look at him confused.

 

 “ ‘From now on you must smile and only smile’ “ yes, I remember what he said. How couldn’t I? “Oh, so what about it?” I had ask and he sigh.

 

“Did you do it? Smile and only smile?”

 

He ask and I tense in my place, no, I hadn’t smile. Not after the divorce. I did but it wasn’t the smile like I always use to. I look at him trying to see if he knows something, trying to get an explanation.

 

“Your smile, it wasn’t the same”

 

He had stated and I felt something swirl inside me. How did he notice? How could he notice? I felt tears b on my eyes and I knew I was close to tears.

 

“I’m s-sorry, I need to go”

 

I had said, I had to go now. He cannot see me cry, ever. It would just make me look pathetic and weak in his eyes. And I do not want to appear like that ever in his eyes. I stood up, my legs shaking and was about to walk away when a hand stop me.

 

“I hope to see you again Ryeowook”

 

And my heart clench somehow.