Chapter 1: SEPARATE LIVES (Prologue)

Just Once

Chapter 1

 

“Goodnight, everybody! Thank you!”

 

As soon as Sandara Kwon (Dara Park to her many fans) waved her hand and descended from the flat form leaving the main stage of the concert hall, Brook her PA and a friend for almost a year immediately approaches her and hands her a cell phone.

 

“Jiyong is on the line Dara. H-he’s been calling for several times already.”

 

“Jiyong?” she asked surprisingly.

 

Brook gave her a nod and an uneasy face she gets the phone from her.

 

They walk side by side towards her dressing room.

 

She puts the phone on her ear, “Hello, honey? And gives the man on the other line a smiling voice.------------- “Yes, yes we’re done already. I’ll just change first then I’ll be going home.---------------“No, I won’t be going to the party. I’ll tell my producer that you’d already back and I know she’ll understand that I need to be with my family.--------------------No, it’s okey, honey I have the chauffer with me.----------See you later. Wait! Is Sandy still awake?-------------“What? She still has a fever? But I checked”---------------------“Okay, yes. I’ll be rushing home.”---------“Bye, I love you, Jiyong.”

 

She ended the phone and turned to Brooke. “Oh my, our daughter is still sick,” she told her wearily.

 

Brooke made her sit down as soon as they entered the dressing room.

 

“Maybe that’s really why Jiyong has been calling you. He wants you home.” Brooke said handling her clothes.

 

“You go with them to the party and tell Mrs. Wee that I can’t make it. I have to be with Jiyong and Sandy or else I will be dragged out from the house.” She stands up and starts changing dress.

 

They both know that she was joking but none of them even chuckle.

 

“You might end up in an argument again…” Brooke told her as she helped her change.

 

“I’m anticipating that already,” she answered casually, “the moment you told me that Jiyong is on the line and been calling for the several times I know what to expect when we see each other later.”

 

“Aren’t you getting tired of it? I mean-“

 

“If I take all our arguments seriously and let it go down to my nerves then it would mean the end of both of us.”

 

“It seems like Jiyong doesn’t still like the idea that you have a flourishing career right now.”

 

“I don’t want to think that way-------but yes, I guess he is. With all these commitments and engagements and tours abroad right now… yes he didn’t want this.” She stops to look at her reflection on the mirror in front them.

 

Brooke stares at her on her reflection. “He is supposed to be happy for you because your are happy doing these things.”

 

“Oh, yes” she starts brushing her hair, “I am happy whenever I sing my songs whenever I hear the people saying good things about my music, whenever---- “she put down the brush and takes a deep sigh. “I really thought he’ll eventually learn to appreciate all these things because he had promised me before that he’ll try his best to deal with it.”

 

“Well… perhaps he is also having a hard time doing it because he can’t accept the fact that being a man who can provide more than enough for his wife, he can’t pin you down to just be on his mansion.”

 

“Precisely that is the one and only thing we’ve keep on arguing all these months, no ever since I got married to him.”

 

“What if he thinks making you choose between giving up this career and being a plain housewife instead like the wives of his friends?”

 

“He’s already done that.” She begins powdering her face.

 

“Ha? He did?”

 

“Yes, he always insists of it.”

 

“And ?”

 

“And ? I always win on reasoning out with him that’s why I’m still here with you and you here with me.” She collects her things.

 

“This whole things are hard for you, isn’t?

 

She turns to Brooke and look at her, “Yes.. it is.” She felts a lump on . “And I’m thankful that you’re here with me through this, Brooke. I owe you a lot.” She gives her a smile.

 

It’s nothing to me you’ve been a good friend. I would really wish that Jiyong will be as supportive to you because you’ve been working hard to achieve all of these.”

 

They exchanged a meaningful look for a moment then a single tear flow down her cheek.

 

“Dara…”

 

She stopped Brooke when she tries to reach her then immediately wiped her tear.

 

“I’m okey --- I better go.” She proceeds to the door. “Just tell Mrs. Wee that I’ll just make it up to her some other time”

 

Brooke gives her a nod and her eyes followed her until she finally exited the room.

 

 

-------

 

After only two years that Dara and her family moved to Philippines, they flied back to Korea because her father was asked to work again and offered a high position in his former company. She got back to her schooling and soon after found her self trying to make a name in Korea's music industry. She really don’t have plans making it on singing but she later found out that she was never been happy doing other things until she sang in front of many people and be appreciated.

 

When she finished her college, it was also the time that she launched her first album and got her engagement ring from Jiyong. During those times that she is struggling between her studies and singing engagements, Jiyong, who already built a name of his own in business industry, has already find his way on pursuing her. And with CL and Jiyong friends’ constant bugging on her and of course her kept feelings for him which she really never lost, she accepted Jiyong.

 

Life was never been happier for her when the selling of her album reached at its highest and at the same time has finally walks down the aisle with Jiyong, carrying a three month old child with her.

 

Everything in life one could ask for is given to her… a successful career of her own, a very luxurious and happy married life…

 

Jiyong who continuously won the year’s Business Man title award stood by her as she also continually gain her own fame and success in her own field.

 

But things slowly changed when she gave birth to their daughter. Jiyong had been very insisting that she must stop from her singing and just give her full time taking care of their child and attending to the family’s everyday household needs. One thing that she thought she and Jiyong have already settled before she agreed to marry him. She had told him that she don’t have plans to end her career even she will already be his wife and Jiyong as far as she could remember had said, okey she can go as long as she wants doing it.-------

 

 

“Good evening Madam Dara” the Kwon butler immediately approached her as soon as she gets in the mansion. “Sir Jiyong has already arrived. He is in the princess room.”

 

“Thank you butler Choi. I’ll go upstairs.”

 

 

She hurriedly runs up to their daughters room and finds Jiyong cradling Sandy on his arms while he sat on a big rocking chair. The little princess is already sleeping, Jiyong eyes were closed too but she knows he’s awake.

 

“Jiyong…” she slowly walks to them and leans to kiss them.

 

Jiyong opens his eyes.

 

“We better talk, Dara.” He said in a firm tone. His face shows no expression.

 

“Okey”. She answered in a calm voice then moves to get their daughter from him.

 

“No, you change first. I’ll call the nanny to look after her. “Jiyong again said, stands and steps towards the door, leaving her.

 

He had taken a deep sigh.

 

--------

 

 

She just came out from the shower when Jiyong entered their bedroom. His face expression is still the same.

 

She walks to the walled cabinet to get her self her clothes.

 

Jiyong sits down on the edge of their brass bed and though she is not looking at him, she knows his eyes are following her.

 

“I didn’t know that you’ll be arriving tonight. I thought you told me that you’ll be in Hong Kong till tomorrow mid day.” She said as she scans her wardrobe. 

 

“I can change plans whenever I wanted to.”

 

“Well, I’m just asking…” she pulls a black nigh ties and begins dressing.

 

“Dad and Mom’s anniversary will be next week. They are expecting us to fly to Australia early this week. I already confirmed with it. I’m booking our flight tomorrow.”“Ha? Wait, I-I mean-“she walks towards Jiyong while still slipping her body on the night gown.

 

Jiyong eyes left her almost body. “What is there again to reason out, Mrs. Kwon?” he stands up and proceeds to get his self a drink from the personal fringe near the side table.

 

“Ji I-I still have a commitment to attend to this Friday. Can I just follow you and Sandy after?” she gets the towel to dry her hair.

 

“Did I really not have the right here to decide for what I want for this family?” Jiyong gulps his beer.

 

“Ji it’s not that…” she ily walks towards him. She clung her both arms around his neck and pressed her body against his and searched for his eyes and lips, “I just have a contract signed that requires me to be in this commitment.” She tastes the beer left on Jiyong's mouth as she slips her tongue inside his.

 

Jiyong held her slim body and pulled himself from her.

 

“You know that I could buy that damned contract if I like to!” he cried out then continues to his drinking.

 

“Here we go again Jiyong…” she said in dismay and sat on the bed and looked down.

 

Jiyong walks towards the ceiling to floor window and takes a sight outside.

 

“I’m already tired if this whole mess Dara.”

 

She heard him uttered, in almost as desperate voice also.

 

“So---what do you want us to do?” she asked finally after some moments of deafening silence.

 

“Goddamit, Dara! Why do you hell ask if you know what I WANT YOU TO DO!” he faced her.

 

She stands up and meets his glare. “Why can’t you really understand me here, Ji? I thought I already made myself clear with you that I have no plans quitting from this career even if I agreed marrying you. Don’t you remember that? You even promised me that you will support me here, Jiyong? Why do we now have to argue on this? Can we not stop discussing these things and live a peaceful life?”

 

“Quit from that damn career then we’ll continue to live together!”

 

“So…you’re threatening me now Jiyong?” her eyes turned misty.

 

“Look Dara –“his voice calms a bit.

 

“You want us to go separate Jiyong just because I did not want to follow you?” she choked a sob.

 

Jiyong crossed the distance between them and held her.

 

“I never ask you of anything, Dara… please just this one.”

 

“I worked hard to achieve this, Ji. The happiness I found in doing this is just the same happiness of having you and Sandy in my life. I am also begging you Ji…do not make me stop from having this career. I know I can still be a good wife and mother to our daughter even if I’m not all the time inside this house. You are no less important to me just because I have my other source of life. Jiyong I don’t want us to go through this hard time, please…please try to understand me.”

 

They eyes locked and both read each other’s soul.

 

“Ji, I’m begging you…”

 

She felt Jiyong's grip on her arms loosens.

 

“Ji…” Tears flow down from her both eyes. Her shoulders begin to shake.

 

“I-I’m sorry Ann… I can’t anymore go on with this.” He let go of her and turns his back.

 

Jiyong walks out to their door.

 

Jiyong steps out of her life….

 
 
 
------------------------------------------------
 
so how's that? :))