The demon Kalzifer

Howl's Moving Castle with some difference

»The Demon Kalzifer«

 

 

 

The next morning the co-workers of the hat shop heard a horn loud roaring in front of the house. A bright, angelic voice was heard as a pretty, colorful clothed lady entered the building.

"I'm back!", she called excited and hugged the elderey aunty of the shop.

"How do I look? This is the newest fashion from Kingsbury!", she asked while turning around.

The workers praise her and greet the woman. with joy. The woman of the house was finally back and she was Ren's mother.

"Where is my son? Minki-ah?", she called excitedly and looked in his studyroom if he was working there on hats like he always did but he wasn't there.

She looked confused around, asking with her eyes for a answer of the mirical. Her son didn't worked on hats. It was like the world or the sky was going to break down any seconds.

"Madam don't worry to much. Ren still hasn't come down that's all."

"Huh? What can he have?" with concern in her voice, she went deeper into the house and knocked at Ren's room door.

"Rennie how are you?"

"Don't come any closer, I have a cold. I don't want to infect you so please stay outside mother!" The woman heard a rough voice.

"You sound terrible honey like your old grandfather."

"I'll stay in bed today. You go and welcome Jack first. I think he is working right now!" Ren cried weakly.

"Huh? Okay if you say so. See you later honey. Be careful and get better soon, so I can show you my new clothes!" The woman said and left.

 

 

Ren's P.O.V.

Mother's back.

Usually such a joyful time that I can't experience. anymore. I must break the curse as soon as possible. sso I can come back and greet her probably. 

I slowly tried to sit up. My back hurts like hell. Knack knack and the pain was back. I looked again in the mirror to assure my current condition. It didn't changed much. I smiled slightly at my reflection and nodded to myself.

"It's all right Rennie. Your clothers fit you now way better than before and you won't be mistaken as a girl ever again. This has much good sides. Being old isn't that bad and besides you're healthy. So everything is alright." I sighed deeply as I watched myself frown slightly.

It is not easy to be old.

I took my things and put them together in one bag. Everything important I had packed, a piece of bread and cheese from the kitchen and my dearly beloved hat.

Let's get out of here quickyl. I could already hear the voices are getting louder from the co-workers. If someone sees an old man in the kitchen they think I'm a burglar and that I'm going to steal their food.

Slowly I walked across the bridge in front of my old home, just as a train passed by. I can't believe my luck today.

*cough* The smoke penetrates me to the lungs and nose. It stinks and it hurts.  

A young man stood at the end of the bridge and looked at me shyly. "Shall I help Grandpa?" Grandfather ... yeah I'm now one. I probably have to get used to it.

I shake my head at him and keep walking down the stairs cautiously. "Very friendly of you but still I can do that alone."

On the street I saw a random man with a hay carriage, that was directioned towards the valleys. I waved to him and he came to a stop. "Can I drive with you?", I ask him politely and smile gently.

"Sure old man. Where do you want to go?"

"Just a bit in your direction please." He nodded and helped me up into his carriage. We drove into the valley towards the furrows.

At a small house I asked if I could go off and we stopped once again. I waved at the nice man with the dark beard and he waves back. You will probably get friendlier if you get older. I smiled.

I continued walking. A walking stick would be fine now I thought as I stepped further. The mountain was steeper than I had thought at first. The wind was blowing hardly and the sky was going to get dark.

Exhausted I sat down on a large smooth stone and atet some of my bread and cheese. "Pretty much I didn't come."

The city was still glittering in all of his glory and it was pretty close. It was like I just walked a few kilometers. I could still hear soft music getting played by street musican or the shops. I wasn't that far away.

I looked around curiousily. A large stock in the bushes maked me get up on my feed. That would be a good stick. I went to it and tried to pull it out. It wasn't that easy. 

As a man I thought I would have more power but apparently it wasn't like that at all. He stuck. "What a stubborn stick..."

I took a small break and looked around once more. Nobody who could help me... Yah! You're not a girl, come on you can do it without any help. I tried my best and *crash* The stick stood like a one.

"A scarecrow?" A relieved sigh escaped my mouth.

"I thought  for a second you were a servant of the witch! Anyway why are you lying around here all alone?" This was not a field or something. Only mountain and stonev were here. A scarecrow hadn't an use on here.

I looked at it more closely. "Huh! Your head looks like a turnip. I didn't like turnip's as a child and I don't like them nowdays either. Well at least you are now standing straight again. Take care of yourself." I waved at the turniphead and went to my things. Did I just really spoke with a scarecrow?

I shook my head and walked on. The wind picked up. "Oh it's too cold. The city is still there. I cannot keep going anymore. my feed hurt a lot."

Suddenly I saw the turnip jump after me. "No. Don't come after me. Please no need to thank me.", I called to it and waved him off.

In truth, I was surprised that the scarecrow was jumping like crazy.

"You're magical. I have enough of witches and curses. Stand somewhere where you want, alright?" The turnip stops at my words but move d quickly on.

I tried to get away but a few moments the turnip was in front of me. He had a stick with him -my question was: where did he get that?- and he put the wood down next to me. Your serious? I looked up at him.

"Thanks, that's a really nice walking stick. That will help me a lot." Then I had an sudden but nasty idea.

"Oh...", I played all innocent and good-natured "...you can sure find a house for me. You know where I could stay tonight? Then I'll be very grateful." The turnip jumped away.

What a nice person I am. I waved goodbye to him with my new useful stick. "The old apparently makes me more sly."

A fighter was flying over the valley. I frowned at the bad sight and coughed slightly. I went on. Who would have thought it would be so difficult to move on in my age? I feel hurt in more than one way.

The wind was strong and merciless. It was getting really dark now and from sudden weakness I had to sat down. I rested my tired old eyes and rubbed them slightly. What should I do now? If I can't find a place to sleep I'll die for cold or the war. What if a bomb would be trown outside above me when I slept or just rest?

Suddenly I smelled smoke. A hut had to be near was my first thoughts and I stood up as soon as I could and ran in the direction from where the smoke came. I stopped in front of an amazing figure. It looked like a castle out of metal and yes from scrap. Was that a real castle? 

The turnip came to me and jumped uo and down. "Tell me turniphead is this Minhyuns castle? But I just asked you to find me a home where I can sleep!" The monster of scrap moved on. Smoke steaming from scratch and all you could hear for a moment was a big sigh. I was impressed.

It had four legs formed like chickens with which it walked. A mouth of scrap metal and wood. It was big. pretty large and it had several small balconies and windows.I t was surrounded by silver and brown shimmering rust.

The castle continued to move slowly. Turnip jumped onto a small lead, which was illuminated by light. There was a door. "Is this the entrance?" I asked, and was moving toward it. Aish. "Yah! Wait for me. Not so fast." I yelled.

I held onto the railing. "You take me now with you or what?" With a jolt I was on the edge and at the same time my brown cloak flew off. Turnip jumped after it and brought it back to me. Such a nice carrothead. I smiled at him gratefully.

When I opened the door I was met by a warm air. "Turnip it's really nice and warm inside, I will go in. Thanks for your help! This is really Minhyun's castle right?"

I didn't expect an answer. I just nodded. "I have already thought so but he sure won't do anything to an old man. Until next time. You are indead a turnip but a good one. I hope you're be happy!" I waved to him and walked into the warm castle.

It was quiet at least I heard nothing. Minhyun is probably not at home? At the fireplace was a chair. I dropped myself on it and took a deep breath. I sighed heavily as the warmth got into my bones. 

I was finally safe and secure. I looked at the fire in front of me and noiticed that it was almost out so I took a piece of wood and putted it on the hearth. I wanted to continue to have it comfortable, who knows if I have time to enjoy it tomorrow.

I looked tired around. "What castle is this? It is quite neglected." Everywhere was insects and dust. Books lay on the floor and lists on the table. Spices were lying around loose and where these rats in that one corner?

Back at home I was always the one who had to clean. But since it was not so dirty it dosn't bothered me much. I always had to keep everything clean I was used to it. I liked the work though at least that was something I was good at.

And this whole house had to be urgently cleaned. I wondered about my own thoughts. "Something good has the old ages. Nothing can surprise you anymore." I sighed deeply and thought of my family at home. I felt my eyes close itself.

"Pretty tricky. I guess that no one can break this curse so easily." I opened my eyes. The fire in front of me had just said something. Am I dreaming?

"And you can't even tell anyone about it. Such a pity."

"Are you Minhyun?" I asked the fire. It was a stupid question, because I knew that Minhyun was a man, a human being. But he was a magican maybe he liked to crossdress as a fire. Who knows?

"Wrong. I am the demon Kalzifer." He puffs himself up. That was somehow good news but for real now? A few sparks jumped on my pants.

"Nice to meet you." I don't believe it, the fire is grining at me. Well... 

"Kalzifer maybe you can solve my curse?"

"Sure. Quite easily, if you find out about my secret with Minhyun, who holds me here."

"You want me to enter into a trade with a demon?" I thought for a moment. "Can you keep your promise?"

"Demons don't make promises." I just nodded. I've been thinking that. "Then you have to ask someone else." I said soberly.

"But I'm a pathetic demon. I am bound by a contract with Minhyun here. I'm the one, who is moving the whole castle!", he exclaimed. 

My eyes closed itself again. I was just too tired, it wasn't easy for me to understand what the demon said. It was all dizzy around me and I just had the desire to sleep already.

"You don't have it easy." I said, still with my last strength.

"If you just find out about our secret my contract with Minhyun can be extinguished. The curse can be broken and then I can also solve your curse."

"A pact with a demon... hmm?" I mumbled and fell soon asleep.

"Old man... Yah grandpa? Grandfather?!" Kalzifer looked at the old man closely and sighed exhausted.

"I wonder if that goes well."

 

 


A/N:

Okay. This was long.

 For those who don't know "Howl's Moving Castle" are now probably a little confused.

It's about magic and it's all fantasy.

In reality, this story is an animination & a book. It is a japanese production & writen by Diana Wynne Jones. 

If you think it is quite interesting please comment and please continue reading! ^^'