Witch of the No-Man's-Land

Howl's Moving Castle with some difference

»Witch of the No-Man's-Land«

 

 

Ren's P.O.V.

 

My brother comes running to me.

"Hey, little brother. What are you doing here? I thought you were waiting for me downstairs." he panted out of breath, he pressed me on his chest in a bear hug. 

"So fragile as ever. Did ya floated to the balcony or something? My little angel is now a real one?" He pinches playfully in my cheek making it redder than it already was. Can he still be more childish. An angel? Yes, of course I am. 

"You know, I feel somehow as if I were in a dream.", I just said.

"Jack don't you want to talk to him in the office?" A voice asked behind us from the said office.

"No. I have to go back anyway. Letti needs my help but still thank you." Jacky smiles at his boss and pulls me down to the kitchen. Behind boxes of sweets, we sat down and talked. At least a little privacy.

He my cheek once again with an raised eyebrow. It looked like he could see right through me.

"Tell me what happened.", he asked and I did. A little different because I wanted him not to worry but he was still surprised as I was done with my story he frowned slightly.

"That can't be! Maybe he was a wizard from the kingdom or a spy from the other. I havn't seen him around here."

"He was so nice, Jack. He didn't had the need to help me but he did anyways. He can't be a spy." I tried to defend him.

"Will you tell me now that you're in love with him?" Jack asked me with wide eyes. For a few seconds I can just stare at him. What is wrong with this child? His mind had to be somewhere else!  

"Anyeway, when this  person would have been Minhyun the magician, he would have swallowed your heart in one gulp! So be careful!" Jack supports his head on his hands, thinking about what might could happen to me if I was alone.

I could see how his mind worked and how he imaged all those bad thing happen to me. His face went to normal to shocked to afraid and to disgust. He sighed deeply and shook his head violently. Aish this boy... 

"I think rather less Jacky. Minhyun has it in only beautiful WOMEN." annoyed from him I emphasize the word women to make my statment clear. My own brother thought I was a helpless girl? What this?

Maybe I should cut my hair. I had a strand-braided ponytail and some loose bonde locks of hair hung into my face. Well I have to give in that I really look with this baby face and this long hair like a girl but I just don't like hairdressers.

Father also had long hair, so I don't see a problem with my hairstyle. My father wasn't even once mistaken for a girl! It hadn't disturbed anyone so why can I not?

"You know, we live in dangerous times and like you said men just take whatever they want, whether female or male.", My brother clenches his fists in anger.

"I've heard that the witch from the no man's land is also resurfaced. You have to be careful!" My brother said sternly.

"What have I to do with a witch?", I was a little bit irritated.

"Just listen to me! You take care of yourself, alright? Today I have to work longer because of thes customers. Since the war is going to begin, the business is running late. I don't get home today either." said my brother to me with a apologize look on his pretty face.

In reality it was just an excuse but I knew it. Jack had something with Letti the best saleswoman in the shop and the two lived together in secret for some time now. Since Mother was abroad they both didn't bother with it and lived happily together but I feel like I'm being betrayed and I'm somewhat lonely all alone in our big house.

I just nodded as answer. At last I could talk to him now.

"Jacky, the new load has arrived. If you have time help out a little." said a middle aged man with a big mouth.

"Yes, yes moment please! I'll be right there." Always work well I am not better then him. I had to sigh.

I wanted to talk to him some more but he had to go and work. It was a pity because I couldn't see him that often but I decided to get up anyway. I didn't wanted to trouble him or be a burden at his job.

"I'd better go. After I saw your face I feel a lot better."

"Well, who cannot resist my face?" He escorted me to the back door of the sweet shop.. He was so right, this little kid. Sometimes I thought that I was the older instead of him. I sighed and rubbed my face before we hugged.

Do not cry Ren, stay strong. You can see him some other time. I really missed him nowdays since mother was away on a trip and I was all alone I felt lonely.

Jack rubbed his neck awkwardly as he let go of me and kicked some dirt. "Listen Minki. You really want to work in that hat shop?" He looked at me anxiously. How did he get this idea from?

"You know that the shop was father's pride. Besides,what else can I do? I'm just good in making hats. and nothing more," I shrugged my shoulders. I didn't had anything against working at the shop. It was easy work and I was close to our home. it was in the same building. All I needed for life.

Jack looked at me sadly as if he saw once more right through me. "I didn't mean that. and you know it. You really want to be a Hatter, like dad? You can more than you can imagine right now you just have to try more!" Jack tried to make himself clear. I knew what he wanted to tell me but I wasn't going to change my life.

I wanted it to be that boring and peacefully.

My brother was such a sweety sometimes. I really liked the days he played nice and all old-brother like. That's a reasonwhy I loved him so much but I had no other choice. It was my decision.

And since I was the only one from our family who took the business of our father seriously I couldn't just stop. My other brothers and sisters had disappeared in all parts of the kingdom. What else could I do?

I smiled at him. "I'm better going now. Keep up the good work brother!"

"I will. Ren please take your life into your own hands! I don't want to see you suffer or anything. BE CAREFUL!" Jack called after me.

I waved the last time and turned around, ready to walk home and sleep a bit.

 

 

Meanwhile, in an alley not far from Cezarres ...

A small portable coach stood in an alleyway. The water from a small river easily slipped over the stones and let them sparkle in the sun.

Two gloomy figures were leaning against the coach as if they had no energy.

The sky darkened slightly and the door of the carriage was opened. A container was placed at the wet stones and someone tapped at it three times.

The person in black waited and watched as rubber-like mud jumped out of the cracks of the stones and sneaked into the vessel. Fast the person closed the vessel and lifted it in the coach. 

It knocked three times and the two gloomy figures moved foward to a special direction.

 

 

In the hat shop ...

Ren opened the door to the hat shop and went inside. He locked the door and took off his coart. He a lamp and looked at himself in the mirror.

Young face with a sad expression, blond hair and simple clothing. He caressed his hair and took a few locks to bind them propably. After he was done he looked around the store to check if everything was in his place.

Time to sleep, he told himself and was ready to go up to his bedroom as he heard the doorbell ring. 

Someone tall and dark stepped into the colorful hatshop and shocked Ren for his dear life. He was so surprised he forgot how to speak. 

He coughed slightly to win his voice back. "I'm sorry dear lady but we already closed."

I'm pretty sure that I had locked the door a few moments before, Ren thought with wide eyes as he watched the big lady looking around dismissively.

"What for a pathetic shop and what for pathetic hats you have here." What's with her? Don't she knows an other word except pathetic?, Ren thought as he slowly grow angry. 

"And you look pretty pathetic too, my boy." She isn't serious right? Ren walked to the door and held it open.

"A simple shop in a simple area. Please leave now!" Ren starred at the big fat woman.

"You're pretty brave, boy. I'm the witch of the no man's land.", she said proudly. As if I was interested in her stories... but what?

"Huh? The witch from the no man's land?" I asked confused.

Did she really mean that? Jacky did told me something about a witch but why was she here wasn't she busy crusing poor people? 

Suddenly two rubber-like beings appeared at the front door and shocked Ren once more. His heart was going to jump out of his chest any second if that continued. He didn't showed his surprise but he still had to stare at the creatures.

He didn't noiticed that the fat women or witch what ever you want to call her began to fade away slightly. Like a ghost the big woman was floated to Ren, through him.  

The once blond boy didn't know how to react so he writhes himself together in a standing fotus position and remain like that for a few minutes. This cannot happen to me was his only thoughts. Did she just crused me?

The only think he could hear at the moment of his confusion was her saying: "You'll not be able to tell anyone about the spell and greet Minhyun from me!" 

The next moment she was gone and the door was closed, laughing.

I feel old, my back hurts. What happened to me?, Ren was thinking hard as he tried to open his suddenly heavy eyeslids.

His hands shriveled and their shook violently. What for? He walked with heavy steps to the mirror and looked up to his own selve. That couldn't be... 

"Oh my dear god. Is this me?" An old man stares toward him. Wrinkled with white long hair and a shocked expression on his big pale face. "

Calm down. Ren you need to calm down. Close you eyes and open them again. Everything is going to be fine.", he told himself and did right what he just told. It didn't worked.

Back and forth he went throught the whole hose with small steps, shaking his head and hands. Trying to understnad what just happened. He looked desperately for some distraction.

When he went back to the mirror to look after the fact he knew wasn't going to disappear his tears began to falls. He couldn't understand because just now he was young.

A few moments ago I was still Ren. Choi Minki, the best hat makers son in this area. Son of an rich and good looking, but not pejorative lady. Brother of many lovels siblings.

What the hell hadhappened to him, in just a few seconds?

"I need to calm down. Ren, don't panic. It'll be okay. Tomorrow, the world looks better.", he tried to sooth himself while going slowly to the lamp, switching it off, looking through the shop as if nothing just happened.

He went to his bedroom, ready to believe that he was going to wake up with his old self.