Band Aid Time

Burn Away Our Memories

~~~~~~

Large tears welled up and spilled over Jong In's eyes as he sat on the dirt, his knee bleeding and dirt on his face. Min Ah raced back from inside the building, a bright green band aid in her hand. She smiled gently as she knelt on the dirt and blew on Jong In's wound. The boy's crying got louder and Min Ah threw water on his knee from her water bottle. She used the edge of her shirt to pat it dry before placing the band aid on it carefully.

"Jong In... look there's no more blood... you're gonna be ok" She whispered as she patted his back and smiled for him.

"B-b-but it hurts~" He cried out as more tears spilled over and Min Ah reached over, hugging him tightly as he clutched onto the hem of shirt.

"Stop being such a whiny baby for attention" Wu Fan snapped as he walked up to the two, an annoyed look in his eyes as Tao trailed behind him.

"Shut up Wu Fan. It hurts him" Min Ah shot back and she gently patted Jong In's head.

Finally his crying seemed to ease down and Min Ah smiled, happy that he was feeling better. He peeked out from her hug and stared as Wu Fan rolled his eyes, tapping his small foot impatiently. He stuck out his tongue like he liked to do so often and Wu Fan huffed.

~~~~~~

"All we need is a few names and then we can talk about some sort of deal" Hoya said, his voice tense as Myungsoo sat beside him, glaring holes into the bored looking man handcuffed to the chair.

Min Ah had just walked in and joined Woohyun on the other side of the two way mirror. She watched nervously as the room on the other side seemed to stop in time. If they were giving this Kim Jong In time to think about taking the deal it clearly wasn't working. Instead of talking like they had expected him to, he raised a somewhat amused brow and kicked back in his chair. Slouching a bit so that he looked as if he was relaxing in the comfort of his own home. Min Ah's eyes flickered to Myungsoo as he stood up with a clenched jaw and motioned for Hoya that it was time to leave. Without sparing them even a curious glance, Jong In stayed immobile in his chair and stared at a random spot in the mirror.

She knew he couldn't see her, but the spot he had chosen to stare at just happened to be where she stood. She tried searching for answers to the millions of questions running through her mind and finally gave up as the door to their side of the investigation room opened up.

“Did you get anything from the interview?” Min Ah asked quietly as Myungsoo and Hoya walked in with exasperated looks on their faces.

“Not a word. He’s just an arrogant little punk. He thinks we’ve got nothing on him . No one’s posted bail yet so we’ve got time” Hoya said, “By the way, who’s doing the background check on him?” He asked Myungsoo.

“I think I’ll assign that to—“

“I’ll do it!” Min Ah called suddenly.

Myungsoo looked at her and stared at her for a second before finally nodding in approval. She tried a smile that looked forced to both of them and didn't waste any time as she quickly exited the room and went to her desk to get started.

“What’s up with her?” Hoya asked.

“I have no clue” Myungsoo replied truthfully.

Min Ah sent the request to their research team and tried to find anything out on her own. She waited, but whatever he did their tracks were covered well. She searched every nook and cranny she could, but there was no trace of Kim Jong In. There was no trace of financials, no trace of property, not even a damn credit card bill. She ran a hand through her hair and stared at a scratch on her desk. She couldn't request the attendance list from the orphanage straight away because not only did she not have the clearance to see those unless she waited for the research team's report, but also because she was afraid they might was thrown them away. It had been so long ago anyways.

“Min Ah! Come here for a second!” She heard a sharp voice call and she looked up at Myungsoo’s office.

He stood there with a frown on his face and she reluctantly went up.

“Is something wrong?” He asked as soon as she stepped in and he closed the door behind them.

She noticed the blinds were closed and she looked back at him. Should she tell him what she suspected? But would it really change anything? If it was the boy she had known back then Myungsoo would do nothing to help him. She knew how much he strived for his career to take off, letting Jong In go would be impossible. At this rate, she was better off keeping what she suspected to herself. She would be able to help Jong In better if no one knew she was trying to.

“No” She said softly against her better judgment.

“What’s wrong?” He said quietly.

“I’m just distracted today” She said softly.

He stepped up to the her and placed a hand on the base of her neck. She stiffened and stared up at him as he pressed his lips to hers and kissed her. She found that she couldn’t return the kiss like before. She knew why, she might find Wu Fan soon. That thought alone was enough to push everything else away.  He pulled away, a slight frown on his face. He pulled her closer this time a bit more demanding and she opened to say something when the loud ring of her cell phone echoed against the walls.

“Hello?” She answered immediately, untangling herself from his arms and stepping back.

“Miss Han we’ve got the information ready for you, fell free to come down and pick it up at any time” A female voice said on the other side.

“That’s great I’ll be there soon” She said quickly as she hung up and went to his door.

With her hand still on the doorknob she suddenly stopped and turned back to Myungsoo.

“Let’s stop this” Min Ah said suddenly, “I'm not comfortable with this weird relationship we have anymore. It wasn't going anywhere anyways”

“Why?” He asked suddenly, his voice reflecting the tension he felt.

“You’re going on an arranged date and… I want to move on. We don’t have any feelings invested in this anyways so I don’t want waste any more time on random hook ups” She said calmly.

“You don’t get to make that decision on your own”

“Yeah I do. And there’s no decision to make anyways. It’s just us not seeing each other outside of work anymore. You made it very clear countless times we’re not in a relationship and I’ve agreed because that’s what I wanted. Let’s just have a normal boss and employee relationship from now on ok?” She insisted.

“It’s really that easy for you?” He said angrily, she could see the thin band on control he had wearing thin.

“I'm not saying we can't be coworkers or friends, it's just a relationship without any of the extra complications we kept adding to it. Listen, I’ve got that background check waiting for me. ” She said and without giving him a chance to say anything else she stepped out and ran for the elevator.

Myungsoo stared at the closed door and took a deep breath. His jaw was clenched tight with outrage and he walked over to his desk. With gritted teeth he punched the desk so hard it trembled under the force of his fist and a few papers scattered to the ground. He outstretched his trembling fingers and wondered what on earth gave her the right to simply end things. Did she not understand she didn’t simply have that choice? Clenching his fist again, anger running through his body he headed down to the interview room.

“I’ll come with you” Hoya called, stopping in his tracks once he got a look at his boss’s anger filled eyes.

“I’m going in by myself. Turn off the cameras” He hissed as he walked in and slammed the door shut behind him.

Hoya hesitated and wondered if he should tell anyone when suddenly he heard a loud crash coming from inside. In a split second he ran to the other room and turned off the cameras like he had said.

He had a bad feeling this wasn't going to end well.

Min Ah felt a little more free as she neared her destination. Her relationship with Myungsoo had hurt her in the beginning, she had actually developed a crush on him in the beginning, but he had made it clear he wanted nothing more than to have fun with her and as she went along with it, those feelings just melted away. It was something fun now, something she had only ever done with Myungsoo if she was being honest, but he was looking for a wife now and he was going to be dating and being the other woman was something she was never going to do.

Besides, there was the possibility of finding Wu Fan again.

“Miss Han! Here you go, just sign here” The woman said as Min Ah walked in.

“Thanks” She said quickly as she took the folder and walked out.

She took the papers into the bathroom and locked herself in an empty stall. She scanned through the paperwork, looking for anything and suddenly there it was. He had been a ward of a small orphanage in Seoul. She sighed in relief as a smile came over her face when she read the name. Tears of happiness welled up and she clutched the paper to her chest. She had found him and if she had Jong In then he must know where Wu Fan and Tao were. He had to know.

Min Ah put the paper back in that folder neatly and went to the sink where she splashed some water on her face. After drying up she ran back upstairs after cleaning up any traces of other emotions.

“Min Ah! Stop! What happened to Myungsoo?” Hoya asked his eyes wide with worry.

“What do you mean?” She asked impatiently, clutching the papers in her hand.

“He came down furious, told me to turn off the cameras and locked himself in with our suspect” He explained worriedly and Min Ah felt her stomach sink.

She ran over to the interrogation room and tried the door, knowing already it would be locked.

“Myungsoo! Let me in!” She yelled as she hit the door with her fist.

Myungsoo was dangerous, but he almost never lost control. She had only seen it happen once and that had been covered up by his father faster than she could process it. He had told her it was nothing and despite all the things she had wanted to ask him she held back because he had helped her and because she felt that he would never hurt her. Now she was simply worried about Jongin. She heard the clatter of something falling to the ground and her chest tightened.

Finally the door was pulled open. Myungsoo stepped up, his fist bloody and his chest heaving.

“What did you do?” She whispered in horror as she stared up at him.

His eyes were full of guilt and regret as he stepped to the side and she peered over at the bloody and quivering mess on the floor.

________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Happy New Years!!! Here's to hoping we all have a great year ^_^ Hope everyone had fun :)