One To Go

Burn Away Our Memories

Min Ah sank low in her seat as she waited for the familiar car to drive past once again. Even a block down the road she could feel the slight hum of the bass from the inside of the large club. Laughing groups of women and men poured in, with few ever coming out and she could only imagine how crowded it was in there.

"After you leave, should I wait here?" The taxi driver asked in a whisper, becoming somewhat timid with her after he discovered a faint blood stain in the back seat from the first time he had picked her up.

"No, I'll call you when I need you" She answered calmly and with that the conversation was over. She was too focused to notice the uncomfortable silence that left him in.

She was about to tell him to take her back to her hotel when their car raced past. The black sleek car screeched to a stop in front of the entrance and Min Ah craned her head to confirm her suspicions. Of the four, there were two blond ones, a black haired one, and Jong In. She couldn't see any faces clearly, but she recognized Jong In immediately. She watched as the tallest one handed the key to the valet and they walked in. The valet exchanged a word with his friend and finally took the car away. Min Ah sat glued in her seat and gripped the handle of the car door as she tried to calm herself.

"...Aren't you going to go in?" The man asked from the front seat.

She shot him a glare and instantly forced herself to calm herself. She was tense and nervous at the situation, not at the man. Without another word she opened the car door, a gust of wind blew in and she stepped out. She heard the car start behind her and leave quickly and she was on her own. This was just like a job she reminded herself, no need to let nerves take over. She walked into the club faking confidence and as soon as she stepped in she noticed why the bouncer had given her a weird glance. The music blasted around her and among the bodies of carefree people moving excitedly to the beat she couldn't find a single girl wearing anything besides some glitzy dress.

Cringing, she spotted the bathrooms a few feet off to the side and quietly slipped in. Min Ah stopped in front of a mirror and quickly shed her black coat and threw it under the sink. She stared at herself in the mirror and sighed, she should have paid more attention to the undercover aspect instead of being so focused on the main part! Her jeans and high heels would have to do she told herself as she fixed the violet blouse she  wore and tried to make her hair seem more... well more fun.

A loud laugh echoed around her as a clearly drunk girl stumbled in. She barely made it to the sink before she fell to her knees and kept laughing. Min Ah debated it, but ended up helping her up.

"Thanksss" The girl said with a giggle, extending the last syllable much longer than it should.

"No problem" Min Ah muttered and after a pause she reached for her bag and walked out. She glanced back in time to catch the girl slowly sink back to the ground and start crying, "Do you... need me to get anyone?" Min Ah asked awkwardly.

The girl looked up and shook her head as she waived her away. Min Ah hesitated, feeling bad for her, but knowing she didn't have the time she wanted she nodded and walked out. She thought about the girl as she scanned the club from wall to wall and wondered what had happened to her and if she was ok. She was about to head back to the bathroom to make sure she wasn't still there when she spotted a tall model like woman go down some stairs she hadn't noticed. Her pulse raced and all thoughts of the girl disappeared as she followed the same path the woman had taken. She followed the stair case down and was met with a tall and burly man, standing in front of a red metal door.

"Get back upstairs honey" He snapped, cold eyes checking her out in an way that made her feel slightly sick.

"I'm here for Jo— I'm here for Kai" She corrected herself at the last minute, hoping that her stab in the dark would check out.

The man made a face that clearly showed he thought she was too plain to be one of the girls Kai saw, but since she had said his name he merely shrugged and stepped aside, pushing the door for her. She tried to look natural as she walked into the lower level of the club. The place was much less crowded and had large tables lining the walls and one of those glass bars in the center. They were here she knew as she walked up to the bar and ordered herself a drink. She was careful about looking around as she got her drink and took a sip.

When Min Ah caught sight of them, she turned away. Her heart seemed to want to break out of chest as she glanced over at them again. There were quite a few guys there, of course, accompanied by girlsmuch prettier than the ones upstairs. She spotted Jong In and forcing herself to be brave faced their table, quietly studying each of them.

Just then, one of them looked up. His dark eyes met hers and though a few strands of his blond hair fell in front of his eyes, she felt like a bolt of electricity had hit her. There was no real reason and she could have been completely wrong, but at that moment she was one hundred percent sure that he was the one she had been looking for. Her fingers gripped her drink a fraction tighter as she held his cold gaze. The bolt of electricity had left only the cold behind. The eyes she stared into held no warmth or even happiness. They were unfeeling and without mercy.

She gave in first. Breaking the eye contact to look down at her glass. She was more than a few yards away. There were a dozen  of people between his table and the bar she stood next to. Yet she felt a cold breeze pass through her as if he had been standing beside her this whole time.

Kris stared at the girl across the room. There was nothing particularly special about her, not extraordinarily beautiful, but pretty nonetheless... despite the lack of good clothes. He didn’t even know why he looked up, but he did and the way her eyes had widened a fraction surprised him. Add to that the fact that she even held his gaze for as long as she did before finally looking down into her cup. A smirk came onto his face as he guessed why she was staring at him. He was about to tell Luhan about her when he happened to glance at Jong In. His eyes were wide with apprehension and he was gripping the edge of the table as he also stared in the direction of the girl. Was he the one that had invited her?

Things had just gotten interesting Kris decided as he stared back at the girl who was now looking at Jong In. Her eyes were wide as she placed her drink on the counter and turned away. Jong In stood up and without bothering to say a word walked towards where she was. Kris considered all the possibilities. It could be some girl Jong In had conned some money out of before, but she would’ve been starting a scene then. Something about it all felt off so he reached around Lay and pulled Tao down by the collar.

“Go find Jong In and tell me who the girl he’s with is” He ordered over the loud music.

Tao gave him a questioning look before going along with the orders and stepping out into the general direction Kris pointed him in. He wondered why Kris even cared about the girls Jong In was with? He had so many that one more wouldn’t really make a difference he thought as he politely made his way through the mass of moving bodies. Even though he had been in many fights, and won nearly all of them, for the most part Tao liked to stay away from the violent aspect of the business. He wouldn’t deny a direct order from Kris of course, but he also didn’t particularly look forward to them. As long as he didn’t abandon his friends though, that’s what mattered the most.

He caught Jong In leading the girl away to the back part and hoped he wouldn't walk in on anything weird. He reached the end of the hallway he had ended up going down and he frowned. Had he missed Jong In and the girl somewhere along the way? He shoved a hand into his pocket and glanced at the battered up EXIT sign barely hanging onto the green rusted door. Tao almost didn’t open it, but he wasn’t particularly eager to wade through the crowd again, so he decided to take a breath of fresh air. What hit him first wasn’t the fresh air, but the echo of a loud and familiar voice further down the alley.

“WHAT THE HELL ARE YOU DOING HERE?!” Jong In yelled as he caught up to Min Ah who waited for him in silence.

“I told you I wanted to see him” She answered calmly.

“SEE HIM?! ARE YOU— are you an idiot?!” He hissed, lowering his voice after a second thought, “I trusted you not to follow me”

“I helped you get out of jail because I cared about you. I even helped you get out of the country. You couldn’t have allowed me to come see him? This wasn’t something from you to decide on your own! Don’t tell me you’re really this surprised!” She snapped back.

“God we’re not kids anymore Min Ah! The kids you knew back then are gone! None of us are the same, especially not him!” He snapped angrily.

“…I know…” She said suddenly, her voice dropping to a whisper as she recalled the dark eyes she had met, “He was there right? In the middle?”

“You need to get out of here” Jong In said, his anger only decreasing slightly as he turned to catch a flash of black move back down in the stairwell leading to the exit door they had come out of.

Tao could feel his heart pounding in his ears as he hid and tried to process what he had just heard. Min Ah… even with everything that happened he remembered the girl that had made their little childhood group into four. She had always been specially careful with him he recalled as he remembered how she would comfort him whenever Jong In’s jokes went too far or when Kris’ temper flared up. The girl they had been told to consider as dead…. Was standing only a few feet away.

He heard their steps approach him, but he didn’t make any effort to get away. Instead he waited until Jong In stepped into his view, his eyes widened as he saw Tao standing there and he flicked his gaze to Min Ah. A small smile came onto her face as she saw him.

He hadn’t changed a bit and she recognized him immediately.

“Min Ah...” He whispered, still in shock and the old name slipping from his lips naturally.

Her smile widened with affection as she took in the tall man who she had grown up with.

“You found her?” He asked, a hint of accusation in his voice as he turned to Jong In.

_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________

I updated on time! Hahaha, I've been feeling really inspired lately so I'll be sure to update soon! Thanks for reading! ^____^