So Close (pt. 1)

Burn Away Our Memories

She stepped into his office and raised an eyebrow at the scattered papers all around. Most of them were by the coffee table towards the center of the room. She took a seat on one end of the couch and looked through the papers quietly. Hours slipped past mostly in silence as she quietly helped him fill out the field reports for their mission and he went through the various interviews they had conducted with Jin Ho.

"What am I missing?!" Myungsoo suddenly yelled, slapping a handful of papers off the table.

"A lot. We've got so many missing pieces. We're wasting our time without any more information" She answered honestly.

"Did you find anything?"

"I have a theory"

"What is it?"

"I'm presenting it tomorrow. So you know, it wouldn't be a bad idea for you to get some sleep in between. So you can listen to my theory completely clear headed" She said as she kept reading the background information on Park Jin Ho. For a man that controlled so many es... his background was surprisingly demure. There should be more she thought with a slight frown, "By the way, do you mind if we do some deeper research into Park Jin Ho? There's something here I can't quite put my finger on... it's too empty. This guy should have more arrests or  disturbance calls. I don't know"

"Do what you want" He shrugged.

Myungsoo looked over at her, completely focused and finally feeling exhaustion settle into place, he took a seat on the other end of the couch, flung his legs over the arm rest and laid back. Min Ah gasped as his head landed on top of the papers lying on her lap. She opened to say something when she looked down at him and saw him looking up at her from heavy lids. She muttered something about him being an idiot and gently lifted his head a few inches to pull the loose papers free. Carefully stacking the papers up she leaned out and let them drop into a neat pile besides her feet. She awkwardly kept still and she silently counted to ten in her head. Her hands were awkwardly up in the air, not knowing where else to put them that wouldn't involve having them on Myungsoo himself. What should she say? It wasn't like she wanted him to stay there, but... but she did want him to rest.

"I can drive you home if you're too tired" She tried.

"No... I want to stay here... with you" He said, his voice hoarse as he fully opened his eyes.

"In the spirit of friendship I would suggest my idea first" She said in a soft whisper.

"I hate the spirit of friendship" He snapped, reaching up with one hand and pulling her head down low. She blinked in surprise as her hair fell around them forming a thin veil surrounding their faces.

He paused for a second, eyes open and intense as he gazed into hers. He smirked and pushed himself up the remaining distance so that their lips could meet. His kiss was hungry as he held her in place until she slapped his hand away and pulled away. Her eyes were angry with a hint of something scared as she tried to speak but thought better of it and instead got up and let his head flop back onto the couch cushion. He sat up and groaned as she placed a firm hand on his chest and shoved him back down to the couch.

"You're going to sleep and we're going to pretend that didn't happen got it?" She snapped flustered.

"I don't want to sleep" He said, his words lingering in the air and she rolled her eyes.

"God, you're such a... I can't even... just stop" She said firmly, "Damn,  you try to do one nice thing for a friend and this is how you're repaid" She grumbled as she turned away from him and sat on the ground, resting her back against the couch.

Despite her annoyance though, the soft laugh that echoed from behind her brought a small smile to her lips and she was glad that he seemed to be at least a little bit more care free. Slowly, she listened to his breath even out and finally go steady with sleep. She hesitated before glancing back at him. Her fingers went up to her lips and she blinked away the feeling of betrayal in her. She wasn't betraying anyone she told herself. She had no one to betray.

Myungsoo opened his eyes and he stretched out on the couch. He yawned and looked to his left. He leaned over the edge of the couch to find Min Ah curled up on the floor besides the couch. Her arm rested on top of papers and her hair was splayed out around her like a black halo outlining her face. He huffed and he knew he could win her back. Screw his dad's stupid marriage matches, that man had controlled everything about Myungsoo since the beginning and he could keep on doing it. He could keep controlling the way he acted, his work, his achievements, but when it came to her... He'll give him everything else, he'll kill himself working to make him proud and to make up for going back to her. He'll catch every damn criminal in the city if he had to. But she was his and Kim Myungsoo never let go of what belonged to him.

He reached down to her and let his fingertips brush the side of her face. He smiled as he spotted the cufflinks he wore and he wondered if she had noticed the fact that they were the ones she had given him. Her eyes fluttered in her sleep and her lips moved slowly as she mumbled words that he couldn't understand. His fingers traced her jaw line and her eyes slowly opened.

"You're not..." She began, eyes still unfocused as she sat up sleepily. She looked around, disoriented as she finally focused on Myungsoo, "It's morning already! I've got to go home and change before anyone comes to work!" She said, her voice wavering slightly.

"I'll see you in an hour" She said as she quickly picked herself up, ignoring the pain in her back and nearly ran out.

She was glad that she hadn't given him a chance to speak as she opted for the stairs instead and ran down to the parking garage. She tried to ignore the tightness in as she finally made it to the safety of her car and she slammed her door shut. With a shaky hand she placed the key in the ignition and started her car. For a second... for a second she had thought Myungsoo was someone else and she had been so happy. Her eyes burned as she punched the steering wheel angrily. Maybe time couldn't help her. She felt fear settle in her body, she couldn't possibly be this weak because of someone she hated right?

As she slowly drove forward, she jerked her car to a halt as she remembered what had happened earlier. Her mind flashed back to the kiss Myungsoo had stolen earlier that night and she recalled the spark of feelings that had nothing to do with that man, but everything to do with Myungsoo instead. If time couldn't help... would he? Could he help her?

~~~~~~

"So, you're saying that you think there's something going on with his father?" Dongwoo asked hours later as he stared at the set of photographs up on the screen.

"Exactly, I've run all sorts of financial records on this guy and there is no reasonable explanation for the sudden change in financial situation. It's like night and day, it makes no sense and I can't find any legal explanation whatsoever" She said as she pulled up various graphs and statistics on the financial situation of this man, "And who knows what else he might have not counted in banks"

"Well it's not like we can bring up charges for getting too rich too fast" Myungsoo interjected, twirling a pen in his fingers as he studied the evidence in front of him.

"Fine, so we don't go after him initially. We use his son" She suggested with a smile.

"His son?" Woohyun asked.

"We've got the perfect opportunity. He hasn't had his phone call yet, so we talk to him first. We've got the perfect leverage. The perfect excuse to look into his life, which happens to include his father. Who, coincidentally funds this guy's entire life. As far as we know, he even lives under his roof still. You think a parent won't notice all this money disappearing, a son never coming home, women disappearing and popping up dead? This guy isn't a criminal mastermind. Let's not kid each other, the dad is just as deep in this as the son if not more" Min Ah said crossing her arms in front of her chest as she watched her team members think over her words.

"I agree. The father looks strange and I think he's involved in something shady too" Woohyun said shooting her an quick encouraging look.

"Alright. Let's go for it, let's add this guy's father... uh... Park Min Guk to our list of suspects and see what we get from the son"

"I want to do the interrogation" Min Ah said before the meeting ended.

"No. I'm taking lead on this case. I want these two guys locked up as soon as possible" Myungsoo said calmly.

"I can promise you at the very least I can buy us more time. Just let me do the interrogation. Trust me" She insisted.

"I think we should give her a chance" Hoya piped up and she smiled.

Myungsoo looked around before letting out a sigh.

"Alright. You get first shot" He conceded and she grinned.

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Chapter came out too long so I'm splitting it into two parts! :)