Lunch With Changjo

Flower Shop

At school I had people asking me about the whole Chunji thing yesterday. I said it was nothing because it was nothing. They thought we did some ultra cool thing together. All we did was play some Wii and eat ice cream. In my opinion, that is pretty ultra cool but to every one else it wasn't.

When school was over, I went to the flower shop and started to work. That's how it was for the rest of the week. Then on Saturday, the day I was working to make up for Monday, Changjo came into the shop. I didn't even know he knew where it was.

“Hey Changjo, what are you doing here?” I asked.

“I was in the neighborhood and saw the shop so I decided to drop in and say hi.” he said giving me a smile.

I looked around real quick to see where my mom and dad were. I'd rather them not meet Changjo and embarrass me. They were both busy with a customer so I was good.

“So those are your parents?” Changjo asked as he pointed to them.

“Yes, those are my parents.”

“Do you think they would mind if I took you out to have your lunch break now?”

All the sudden I heard my mom's voice behind me.

“I wouldn't mind at all.” she said.

I turned around and looked at her.

“Mom, were you eavesdropping?”

“Not intentionally. You know this shop isn't that big. So who is this boy that I'm letting you go on a date with?”

I covered my face with my hands.

“Mom, just because we go have lunch doesn't make it a date.”

“Well maybe he meant it as a date did you ever think of that?”

No I didn't. I uncovered my face and looked at Changjo to see what he had to say.

“I'm not looking for a girlfriend right now. I just want to have lunch as friends.” Changjo said while looking at the ground.

“If you say so. Just tell me your name.”

“I'm Changjo.” Changjo said and he was still looking at the ground.

Changjo and I left the shop and headed down to a restaurant to have an early lunch.

“So do you mind if I asked you what happened with you and your last girlfriend?”

“I don't really feel like talking about it right now. Some other time.” he said.

“I understand.” I told him.

“If I told you a secret would you keep it?” he asked me.

“Of course. I would never tell a secret that wasn't mine to tell.”

He looked around the restaurant then leaned in motioning that I do the same. When were both leaned in he said,

“The reason I was in the neighborhood was Chunji had his girlfriend over and I wanted to get away from her.”

I leaned back in my chair and laughed.

“I loved hearing you say that.” I told him “cause I can't stand her.”

“Chunji is the only one that can.”

“So everyone doesn't like her?” I asked.

“She's only sweet to Chunji, why would we? C.A.P. brought over a girl on Thursday and I watched MinJee intimidate her into leaving.”

I couldn't believe this.

“And Chunji really loves her?” I asked.

“Since he doesn't catch her doing any of that yes he claims to love her.”

“Well then he needs to catch her doing that stuff.”

Speaking of the devil, she came in as were finishing up.

“As it should be.” she said to me.

I stood up from my seat.

“And what does that mean?” I asked.

“It means your with Changjo and not Chunji which is the way it should be.”

“I'm not with Changjo and Chunji doesn't deserve you.”

“He deserves me more then you.”

Changjo stood up and sensed I wanted to beat this girl up and held me back. Seeing that our food was paid for, he dragged me out of the restaurant and away from MinJee.

“I didn't know you wanted to date Chunji.” he said.

“I don't” I said.

“If you don't then why were you mad that MinJee said she deserved him more then you?”

“Because as his friend I think he deserves better. I'm not saying that someone should be me.”

“You've only known him for about a day. He was gone that first day you came to our dorm and you spoke for probably 5 minutes when he cam in on Valentines day.”

Changjo has a point. I barely know him.

“I know I've only known him for a short time but in that short time he seems like someone that deserves better then MinJee.”

“So you're sure that you don't like him?” he asked me.

“I'm sure.” I told him.

Though I'm wondering why he wanted to know in the first place. Is it really his business? Changjo walked me back to the shop where my mom said I could have the rest of the day off to spend with Changjo. We headed over to the dorm and everyone was finishing up some food.

“I'm not surprised.” Ricky said.

I'm not sure what that meant but no one seemed happy that he said it.

“Your not surprised about what?” I asked.

“Nothing.” Ricky said sinking into his seat. “I didn't say anything.”

I decided to ignore what Ricky said. Today I spent some more time with Chunji and he seemed so wonderful. Nice, sweet, he had a great smile. But he just has to be going out with MinJee. By the time the day ended and Chunji walked me home again, I was convinced that Changjo was right. I did want to date him. There is no way that's happening though.

“So I'll pick you up tomorrow and you can come over to the dorm again. Unless you have to work.” Chunji said.

“I'm free tomorrow as long as MinJee isn't there.” I told him.

“What's wrong with MinJee?” he asked.

“We just don't get along.”

“Oh. She can't come over anyway because she has family visiting.”

We said goodbye to each other once we reached my house and it seemed my mom was waiting for me at the door.

“How was your day?” she asked.

“It was good.” I said.

“Just good?” she asked.

I rethought the day over.

“Alright fine, it was great.”

My mom seemed satisfied with that reply.

“That Changjo boys seems like a good boy. I approve.” she told me.

She left the room before I could say anything else.