Jam Session

Fear Itself

So, here's the second chapter. Hope you like this instalment. Enjoy! xD

 

 

Tiffany's POV

I woke up with a nasty hangover, the hazard of knowing the owner of a bar and getting free drinks. My head felt like an elephant was sitting on it and I was about 98.5% sure that if I moved I was going to upchuck.

I groaned and carefully slid over so I could scramble out of bed and bolt for the bathroom to empty my stomach. I hadn't drunk so much in a damn long time. I was on a high from the performance, my violin solo got an awesome response and the orchestra sounded tight. Afterwards I was so happy to see Jonghyun, he was a great friend and I hadn't seen much of him of late.

He introduced me to his band members and I felt instantly drawn to the gorgeous brunette with y mocha eyes. Sooyoung…man even her name is hot. Usually I'm not so confident with people but with her I couldn't help it, and I like that she brought that out in me. I may have flirted a little bit but it was harmless because I'd never let it go anywhere, not after the last time…

I got home and there was a message on my answering machine from Siwon. Who is Siwon I hear you ask, well he's my stable, good looking, successful, lawyer boyfriend. In other words he is a mother's dream for their daughter. We've been together about three months now, I wouldn't say it’s particularly serious at this stage.

I bet you're confuse seeing as I just admitted to being drawn to Sooyoung and even flirting with her a bit, so am I.

Anyway after hearing Siwon's message I pretty much passed out on my bed to sleep off the copious amounts of alcohol I have consumed. This always happens when I hang out with Jonghyun.

After I had emptied my stomach into my toilet that morning, I took a long shower and had some coffee and toast, which made me feel a hell of a lot better. After that, feeling slightly more human, I got dressed and tried to ignore the fact that I was putting far too much effort into my appearance seeing as I was going to a casual jam session to see if me in this band might work. I'll be honest, I had my doubts.

It took Jonghyun a fair bit of effort over the years to convince me to even consider joining his band. I had a good thing going at the college, a future as a violinist but Jonghyun knew what I was too afraid to admit, that I felt suffocated by it all. I love classical music, but it gets a little boring. I had been writing my own stuff for years and none of it was even remotely classical.

So I guess I'd better tell you how Jonghyun finally managed to convince me after years of trying.

[Flash Back]

I walked into the little café near my apartment and found Jonghyun already waiting for me. He ran his hand through his stylishly messy black hair and gave me a huge smile as I took a seat next to him.

We ordered our coffee and caught up for a bit, gossiped about mutual friends from school and talked about the latest music we both loved. Be careful about ever getting two musos in the same place, because they will talk for HOURS about music.

After a few hours and like 4 coffees, Jonghyun gave me a smirk and said, "I kinda had an ulterior motive in inviting you here today."

"Oh yeah? Well I guess you'd better tell me then," I said rolling my eyes, I am a compulsive eye roller just so you know.

"Tiffany I know we've talked about this before but I really think you should consider joining my band. We have a great sound but something is missing and I think that something is you," Jonghyun said with a huge smile.

I laughed well naturedly. Since we had graduated from the Seoul College of the Arts together over a year ago, and well right through college actually, Jonghyun had been trying to convince me to be in a band with him. I'd be lying if I said I hadn't thought about it. I loved my job at the SACA but it wasn't my passion. The thing is that it was stable work and as a musician that is rare.

"Jonghyun-ah, we've been over this, I have a good job and I don't have the time to commit to a band with all the orchestra performances and rehearsals. I just can't do it," I said with a small smile.

"Tiffany, in all seriousness we need you. You're talent is being wasted in that orchestra. You are so much more than a classical violinist. I've heard you play and I've heard you sing, that's what you should be doing. Also don't even lie and tell me that you haven't got like a hundred songs you've written yourself. Music is who you are Tiff, don't hide in that orchestra anymore." Jonghyun leaned over and took my hand in his.

"It's not that simple Jonghyun, I made a commitment and I have a contract," I said reasonably.

"I checked it out and your contract officially ended last week and now you’re not obligated to stay if you don't want to." I hadn't known that.

"Jonghyun-ah, I'm a classical violinist, I so won't fit into the whole rock scene."

Jonghyun threw back his head and laughed, "Are you kidding Tiffany? You are more Rock than me! Do you forget that I am a classically trained cello player? Baby, I'm you, I've just had the courage to break out of the classical bubble and go after something that makes me passionate about music again. Tiffany I can see you are exactly where I was after graduation. I felt suffocated by the rules and conventions of the classical scene. I wanted so badly to make music that changed people and I felt like I couldn't do that so I went out and found a way I could."

I shook my head and sighed, "Okay, so let’s just say you're right, say I am feeling suffocated and constricted by the world I'm in, how is joining your band going to change that for me?"

"Because with us you can find your passion for music again. You can play and sing songs that come from your soul, songs that may have the power to change people. Look everyone in the band is awesome and they are all so talented but there is something missing. How ‘bout you give it a chance? I'll bring the gang to your performance tomorrow night so you can meet them. No obligation, just meet them and see what you think. If you like them then we can go from there, okay?" Jonghyun asked with an expectant smile.

I rolled my eyes, "Fine, but I'm not committing to anything!"

Jonghyun laughed, "Great, all I ask is that you give it a chance. Oh and we still need to convince once of the band members who is a little hesitant to change anything. She's stubborn like that, kinda like you."

"Great Jonghyun, insult me and impose me on a band who doesn't want me, that's brilliant," I teased.

"She'll come around, Sooyoung is just too stubborn for her own good," Jonghyun replied.

"Ok bring them to the performance and we'll go from there, but I'm not promising anything!"

[End of Flash Back]

So here I am outside Jonghyun's place, where the band's practice space is. For some reason I'm nervous and I can't stop thinking about a particular brown eyed brunette. I take a deep breath and jump out of my little dark blue SUV. I was pulling my two guitars and my violin out of the trunk when a familiar, raspy voice asked, "Can I give you a hand, Ginger?"

I spun around to find Sooyoung leaning against the letter box. "Uh yeah that'd be great, but don't ever call me, Ginger."

Sooyoung gave me a weird look, "Ok sure, can I ask why? I'm sure you've gotten it a lot in the past." She took the guitar case I passed her and we began walking inside.

"Um, well, an old partner called me that and I hate being reminded of that relationship. Let's just say it didn't end well and leave it at that," I answered vaguely. I kinda left out the part where my old partner was a woman.

"Enough said, I'll just have to think of a different nickname for you then," Sooyoung said with an understanding smile.

"Or you could just call me Tiffany or Tiff like everyone else does?" I asked with a grin.

"Nah, too boring, I'll think of something. Come on in and join the musical madness!" Sooyoung shoved the door open and we wandered in, everyone else was already there. It was an awesome space, equipped with two drum kits, countless guitars and basses, a key board and an upright piano, a heap of amps and a killer sound system with more Cds and vinyls than I had ever seen in my life. There were also worn leather sofas and numerous posters of bands and musicians. I fell in love with the space immediately.

"Hey Tiff, so glad you made it!" Jonghyun swept me up in his arms.

I greeted Minhyuk and Yuri and we made small talk for a while. I couldn't help but notice the way that Sooyoung always seemed to be watching me, her eyes seeming to see right through me. It was unnerving, but I didn't want her to stop for some unknown reason.

"Ok, Tiff why don't we jump right in, you wanna play us something on the violin?" Minhyuk asked with a kind smile, I liked him. He was very much so the older brother type who would always look out for you, though her appearance was too cute to be one.

"Well actually if you don't mind I'd like to try the guitar first," I pulled my Gibson out of its case and carefully tuned it. This guitar was one of my most prized possessions. I started strumming softly, then Jonghyun picked up his guitar and sat down beside me.

"What do you say we do that +44 song we used to do at college?" He suggested. I nodded and put down my Gibson to pick up my Fender Bass, affectionately named Josie. Jonghyun grinned and moved to his guitar as Yuri moved to the keyboard.

"Make You Smile?" She asked. Jonghyun and I nodded and we began playing.

Jonghyun sang the first line and I came in on the second. I noticed that as soon as the words left my mouth, Sooyoung sat up straighter and locked her eyes on me. It's an awesome song and it felt good to be singing with Jonghyun again. Back in college we used to jam together all the time.

Once the song was over I beamed over at him as they all started to clap. I swung my eyes around and gazed into the captivating mocha eyes I hadn't been able to get out of my head since the second I'd met the brunette in front of me.

"Tiffany that was awesome, you have a great voice, I think we should get you and Soo to sing something together, I reckon that'd sound rad!" Yuri said excitedly.

I looked over at the brunette and gave her a smirk, "I'm game if you are."

"Ok let's do it," Sooyoung got up and picked up a guitar.

"So what do you want to play?" I asked with a subtle head tilt, which seemed to make her lose her train of thought, "Sooyoung? What do you want to play?" I asked again with a huge smirk.

"Um do you know Love Song by The Cure?" She asked tentatively.

I nodded and beamed, "It's one of my favourite songs actually, I don't even mind the cover Anberlin did of it."

"Yeah that was pretty awesome," Sooyoung sent a nose-crinkling smile my way as we moved to our instruments. Jonghyun picked up a guitar, Minhyuk to the drums, Yuri settled herself behind the piano as I slung my Gibson over my body and Sooyoung put down her guitar so she could scoop up a bass, pretty similar to mine.

Minhyuk counted us in and we began to play. Sooyoung and I began to sing together, I took the first verse, her the second and we came together for the chorus. We sang in perfect harmony, which was amazing seeing as we had never sung together before.

"Whenever I'm alone with you
You make me feel like I am home again
Whenever I'm alone with you
You make me feel like I am whole again

Whenever I'm alone with you
You make me feel like I am young again
Whenever I'm alone with you
You make me feel like I am fun again

However far away I will always love you
However long I stay I will always love you
Whatever words I say I will always love you
I will always love you

Whenever I'm alone with you
You make me feel like I am free again
Whenever I'm alone with you
You make me feel like I am clean again

However far away I will always love you
However long I stay I will always love you
Whatever words I say I will always love you
I will always love you"

The y raspiness of her voice complimented the husky quality of mine. Our voices worked so well together. As the last note faded Sooyoung turned to me wide eyed and whispered, "Damn."

I just smiled. There was silence for a second and then the other three began jabbering excitedly about what a perfect fit it all was.

We played a bit more music, I showed them my skills on the piano and the violin and sang a few more songs. They all seemed really excited, even Sooyoung who I knew had been hesitant about bringing in a new member to begin with. I was sprawled on the couch with my head resting on Jonghyun's knee after we had played for like two hours. I guess my shirt had ridden up a bit, I was too tired and hung over to notice, because the next think I knew the softest fingers ever ran over my hip.

"Fear Itself," Sooyoung murmured as she read the tattoo on my hip and traced the ink with her fingers. If anyone else had done that I would have flipped out, but with her I didn't care for some reason. I raised my head to meet her eyes, she smiled down at me, "What's it mean?"

"It's something my Dad is always saying to me, 'the only thing to fear is fear itself.' I guess I always liked it, kind of like a reminder to not be afraid. Plus it was the name of an episode of Buffy the Vampire Slayer which was one of my all time favorite shows growing up," I said with a chuckle.

Sooyoung laughed and nodded, "I like it. Actually…hang on a second…Fear Itself…that'd be a great name for the band. What do you guys think?"

Jonghyun looked thoughtful for a moment before a huge grin spread across his face, "I love it."

Yuri clapped her hands together enthusiastically, "Yeah me too." Minhyuk just nodded, he doesn't say all that much.

"Tiff? What do you think?" Sooyoung asked with a smirk in my direction.

"I get a vote?" I asked dumbly.

Jonghyun laughed, "Well yeah, as our newest band member you get a vote." The others all laughed and nodded. I locked eyes with Sooyoung and she grinned her approval.

I chuckled, "Well I love it. Can I ask why you didn't have a name until now?"

Jonghyun grinned sheepishly, "We could never agree on one, it's been a problem for us. See Tiffany you're already making things better! Thank God for your tattoo."

"Yeah tell my Mom that, she almost had an aneurism when I got it," I laughed.

"So Tiffany, you're in the band?" Jonghyun asked with a beaming smile.

I rolled my eyes, "Yeah Jonghyun-ah I'm in the band! I guess I give the orchestra notice tomorrow." My band members all laughed, my band members…that's got a nice ring to it.

----------

Songs in the Chapter:

- Make You Smile by +44

- Love Song by The Cure

 

p.s For Asian readers, maybe some of you were wondering why Tiffany nickname was Ginger, it's because of her red hair. Ginger is a spice. It's rather hot, redheaded people are believed to be hot tempered and "fiery" so the spice became associated with red hair. Well, goggle helped me a lil' bit for the explanation :p

p.p.s can I get more comments, please? Don't be a silent reader :( I love reading your comments. It's encouraging me to write more :D

 

 

anyway, see ya in the next chapter! ;)

Love,

 

 

SoostersFanytastic