Taking a Chance

Fear Itself

So, I noticed chapter 11 was the fluffiest chapter I've wrote so far :p but this one.. well, why don't you read it yourself? Enjoy! ;)

 

 

Tiffany's POV

I would be lying if I didn't admit I was a bit nervous, or a lot nervous. I was in my apartment getting ready for my first official date with Sooyoung and I had butterflies in my stomach the size of pelicans. I kept berating myself for my nerves, I mean here I was nervous about going out with a woman who I had a deep emotional connection to, who I had made out with and a woman who I knew would never intentionally hurt me. I was already so in love with her and yet here I was scared of actually dating her.

I bathed, washed my hair, plucked, shaved and scrubbed until I was clean and looking my best. I spent over two hours trying to decide what to wear, changing my outfit countless times. I had no idea where she was taking me and that was just adding to my anxiety about the night.

For all my past experiences I had never actually been out on a date with a girl in a public place. I had been with two women and never been out with them as a couple. Whenever I was out in public with Jessica and Eunjung I made them act like we were just friends. I wasn't 100% sure I was ready for this.

I finally got ready, fighting the urge to throw up the entire time, and sat tensely on my sofa waiting for her to arrive to pick me up. I couldn't stop my hands fidgeting on my lap. I so wanted to be sitting at the piano or have my violin or bass with me, anything to keep my fingers busy.

I almost jumped out of my skin when I heard a knock at my door. I took a deep breath to compose myself before jumping up to let Sooyoung in. I smoothed down my hair one last time before I swung the door open to reveal a beaming Sooyoung on the other side with a single red rose in her hand. She looked incredible. She was wearing skintight black jeans with a red halter-neck top that show off her long neck perfectly. Her long wavy brown hair hung loose around her face which was filled with excitement as she leaned in to kiss me.

I met her half way and kissed her chastely on the lips, before stepping aside and letting her into the apartment. "You look beautiful, Hazel," She murmured as she handed me the rose and walked past me into the apartment. I smiled nervously and closed the door behind her.

"Thank you, you, uh you look gorgeous, Soo. Um, I'm almost ready I just have to get my bag," I stammered out and then blushed because of how stupid I sounded. I went to walk out only to have her grasp my hand and spin me back around so that I was in her arms. She looked deeply into my eyes with so much understanding that it almost brought tears to my eyes.

"I know you're nervous honey and I don't blame you. There's no rush, we have all the time in the world Tiff, you just need to tell me what you're thinking," she said softly.

I swallowed nervously and nodded, "I'm ok Soo, really. So where are we going tonight?" I was still in her arms and trying not to let her see how much I was panicking. She didn't need to see my fear, she'd been impacted by it enough since she'd met me. I wasn't going to put her through anymore.

Sooyoung looked at me uncertainly for a moment and then leaned in and captured my lips in a heated kiss that took my breath away. I leaned into her and wrapped my arms around her, holding her as close to me as I could get her. She gave me strength.

I reluctantly pulled back out of her arms and said, "I'll just get my purse and we can head out." I left her in the living room and wandered down the hall to my bedroom. I placed the rose in a vase I had on my bedside table, grabbed my bag and looked over to the mirror. I stared at myself and muttered, "Don't be scared, you can do this." With one more deep breath I turned off the light and wandered down the hall to join Sooyoung.

"So where are we going?" I asked again as I stepped into the room, making the brunette jump.

Sooyoung turned to face me and I felt her eyes sweep over my body. She reached my eyes and stepped forward to take my hand in hers, "I thought we'd go to dinner and then if you want a movie or something." I nodded and forced a smile on my face, hoping it hid the nervousness I was consumed by.

Sooyoung took my hand in hers and I drew some comfort from the warmth that radiated from her. She gave me a reassuring smile and led me out of my apartment. After I locked the door we headed down the stairs and climbed into her Porsche. I couldn't stop my hands from moving across my knees like they were touching piano keys, Sooyoung reached over and covered my fidgeting hands with her own, "It's ok Hazel, if you're not ready for this we'll leave it for another time," she said kindly.

There was no way in hell I was going to let my fear hurt her again so I forced a smile onto my face and squeezed her hand, "It's ok Soo, I want this, I want to be with you."

She smiled warmly, "I know that Baby, and I want to be with you too. There is no doubt about that, but maybe, just maybe you aren't ready to be out with me in public? And Tiffany if that's the case it's fine, we can wait, just keep this between us for a while."

My God Choi Sooyoung is the kindest, sweetest woman I have ever met. She just kept putting my feelings ahead of her own repeatedly. I owed her so much for her patience and understanding, she is one incredible woman, how the hell did I get so damn lucky? I smiled softly at her and murmured, "I'm ok Soo, I promise. Look I'm nervous, ok really nervous, but I want this, I want us. I can't and won't let my fear stop me from living, not again."

Sooyoung leaned over and kissed me gently on the lips. I leaned my forehead against hers and closed my eyes to drink in all that was her. From the silkiness of her skin, the warmth of her breath and the delicious scent of her, I took it all in. It gave me comfort. Sooyoung pulled back and started the car, "Ok Hazel, you sure you're ready for this?" I grinned and nodded. Sooyoung beamed over at me, her nose-crinkling adorably as she did, and backed carefully out of the car space. We held hands the whole way to the restaurant with her shooting me reassuring smiles every now and then. Have I mentioned how lucky I am to have her?

Sooyoung's POV

I could tell she was nervous, really nervous, but that's hardly surprising. Despite the fact that she has been in relationships with two women before she has never been 'out'. Both her relationships existed in the closet and when she tried to move out of the closet with Eunjung it all went to . It was understandable that she was scared, I just hoped she knew that I would never, ever push her or force her into something before she was ready. I guess that's why I kept giving her chances to back out, I was so excited to take her out but I wanted it to be right for her.

Meeting Tiffany changed me, it really did. I never thought I would ever be in a relationship, I just saw myself as being not the relationship type, but now I want it all with the beautiful redhead, and my God did she look beautiful that night. She was wearing a midnight blue, spaghetti strapped dress that flowed over her body to just above her knees. Each time she moved it swirled around her body. She was a vision.

The drive to the restaurant was filled with music and a comfortable silence. I knew music was one of the few things that would calm the redhead so I let it wash over her to settle her nerves. She held my hand gently in hers, occasionally my knuckles with her thumb as she sung softly along with the music.

I pulled into the car park of a small, out of the way restaurant that my father used to own, I figured that being a bit out of the way and unknown, we were more likely to get privacy and not run into anyone we know. I didn't want anything to make this hard on Tiffany, I just wanted her to have a good time.

I wanted to show her how easy it could be, I wanted her to see that despite the past experiences she'd had it was worth it to let love in, to let me in. Once I parked I jumped out and raced around to open her door for her. Holding out my hand I bowed slightly and said, "We're here milady."

Tiffany giggled and took my hand as she stepped gracefully out of the car. We walked hand in hand into the restaurant, I was surprised that Tiffany allowed the intimate contact in public, pleasantly surprised. Once we were seated at our table and had our drink orders taken, Tiffany leaned over the table and took my hand in hers again. We gazed into each other's eyes. Brown locked on Hazel. That look spoke a thousand words of how we felt about each other. God I love her.

"I'm glad I'm here with you, Sooyoung," she murmured with the tenderest smile gracing her face. I had never seen her smile at anyone else like that, which made my heart almost burst with love for her.

"I'm glad you're here with me too, Hazel," I smiled warmly at her and her hand with my thumb. A waiter came by and we ordered our meals, Tiffany held my hand the whole time, she's amazing.

"I have to admit I am so damn nervous about playing my songs at our gig on Friday night, it's like I'm baring my soul to the whole world," Tiffany said once the waiter had left.

The day before at our band rehearsal Tiffany had played three of the songs she had written for the band. The first one, Breakeven, was heartbreaking and beautiful. It told the story of her break up with Jessica. It was unanimously decided that Tiffany would sing that one. The second song was Leaving, which was full of anguish and desperation, was written about her desire to leave Siwon. The band instantly loved Tiffany's suggestion that she and I sing it together as a duet. And finally the third song, The Resolution, which was again full of anguish and even a tiny bit of hope, which told of her realization of what Siwon and her mother were doing to her. After much coaxing (and an adorable pout/head tilt combo which no one has ever been able to say no to) Tiffany convinced Jonghyun that he should be the one to sing it. The compromise being that she would do the backup singing.

We were having extra rehearsals everyday this week to get the new songs ready to perform at Seoul Pub on Friday night. Kris had organized an ongoing gig for us after the success of our first one there. Kris is a damn good guy. We were also doing another gig at a slightly larger club on Saturday night called Club Mass. It was all pretty exciting and I loved that I had Tiffany to share it with.

"Tiffany, your songs will be a big hit with the crowd, no doubt. You saw how much the band loved them, there is no faking that level of excitement," I smiled at her (seriously though when the band heard the songs Yuri cried, Jonghyun pretended he hadn't teared up and the usually stoic Minhyuk had launched into a speech about how those songs were going to get us noticed), "You are amazingly talented Tiffany Hwang and your music is going to change the world someday."

Tiffany beamed at me and brought my hand to her lips, "Thank you Soo. I've been feeling oddly inspired since I met you. Oh and how great is it that you're going to perform your song too?!" She gushed.

After Tiffany had performed her songs to almost hysterical happiness from the entire band, she insisted that I play them the song I had written for her. I was scared less that after hearing the wonder that was Tiffany's music they would hate mine. Turns out they loved it and it would be one of the songs we performed on Friday at Seoul Pub.

"God I was so scared when you made me play that song for them Tiff, that song means so much and I was scared to put it out there for other people to hear," I said gazing into her beautiful hazel eyes.

"I understand Soo, I do. That's exactly how I felt when I played my songs for them, but your song is sensational. It’s heartfelt, sweet and beautiful. When I heard you play that song I got chills. It touched me in a way that very few songs do. I think the arrangement you've worked out will be fantastic," Tiffany said softly.

"Well it has to be played on the piano, I know Yuri can do wonders with that and why not take advantage of you and Jonghyun's talent on the cello and violin?" The arrangement I'd come up with involved Tiffany on the violin and Jonghyun on the cello and I was going to play the bass. We had worked on it at our rehearsal that morning and it was sounding brilliant, actually all four of our new songs were sounding brilliant. I was blessed to play with some bloody talented musicians.

Our food came out then and we both dug in, sharing tastes of our meals with each other. We were laughing and joking, and ok flirting as we ate. Tiffany had totally relaxed and it was incredible. I had dreamed about being on a date with this woman and I have to say the reality was so much better than the fantasy.

She was funny, sassy, surprising, warm, sweet and kind. I loved getting to know her. Over dessert we discussed our childhoods and how we got started in music. Tiffany it turns out was taken to piano lessons at four years of age and then progressed to the violin at six. I on the other hand had a guitar into my hands at age three and never looked back. It was strange how well we worked together musically, given our differing musical backgrounds. Tiffany's music background was technical and classical all the way, while mine was definitely not.

We were just finishing off our coffee when I saw Tiffany freeze and turn an alarming shade of white. She had been in the middle of telling me about her first violin recital when her voice trailed off mid sentence and her eyes locked on something over my shoulder. She yanked her hand from mine and swallowed audibly. "Tiffany, are you alright?" I asked gently. She just shook her head.

I turned around to see what was causing her so much distress. I saw an older, well dressed man making his way over to our table. I heard her mutter, ", , ," under her breath as he wandered up to us.

"Hello Tiffany, it's good to see you," the man said in a deep, gravely voice.

"Hello Mr. Choi, it's good to see you too," Tiffany stammered out.

I looked back and forth between them trying to figure out why this man looked so familiar to me. The man looked over at me with a cold smile, "So who is your friend Tiffany?"

"Um Mr. Choi, this is Sooyoung. Sooyoung this is Mr. Choi, Siwon's father," Tiffany said with a tremor in her voice. Oh , I thought, now I understood why she looked so freaked out and why the guy looked so familiar, he was exactly what Siwon would look like in thirty years. I smiled weakly up at the man, who ignored me and turned back to Tiffany.

"So where's Siwon tonight? You two still coming around for dinner this weekend?" He asked. Tiffany looked confused and glanced over at me, I think I looked just as bewildered as her.

"I'm sorry Mr. Choi but I thought you knew that Siwon and I broke up," Tiffany murmured quietly.

The older man looked shocked and then very, very angry. "What the hell do you mean you two broke up! Why the hell would you do that?! And why wasn't I informed?" He snarled.

Tiffany looked like she wanted to cry as she said, "We broke up a couple of days ago, we haven't been happy together in a long time sir," she paused and took a deep breath before looking over at me with fear in her eyes, "Mr. Choi I'm gay so I had to break up with Siwon because it would have been unfair to both of us to stay together. As for why he didn't tell you, well you'll need to talk to Siwon about that sir."

God I was proud of her for admitting to that scary old guy why she and Siwon had broken up, and it was good of her to leave out what that he'd released the video of her being . Tiffany is better person than me, I would have told the world what a bastard he was.

Mr. Choi looked horrified, "Please tell me you are joking Tiffany, you cannot possibly be gay! You were brought up better than that, your mother would never allow that kind of depravity from one of her children." Mr. Choi glared over at me and then sneered, "So I guess this is the person you left my son for then is it?"

Tiffany gritted her teeth and got to her feet so she was looking Mr. Choi right in the eye, "No, I left your son because I was unhappy with him and because by being with him I was lying to myself. I never cheated on Siwon. Sooyoung and I are together, but it had nothing to do with Siwon. And as for my mother, that woman is no longer part of my life, and now that I'm no longer with your son there is no reason for you to be in my life either so I suggest you go back and join your dinner companions and leave me and Sooyoung to enjoy our date." Tiffany practically spat the word 'date' at him and he noticeably flinched. I bet he had never seen her like this, in all her glory, before.

"Enjoy you're ersion Tiffany, I'm sure it will be worth it when you're burning in hell!" He snapped. I was about to jump up and say something when Tiffany took a step closer to the guy and got right up in his face.

"I'm going to hell huh? Well why don't you save me a seat then?" Tiffany snarled furiously. Mr. Choi glared daggers at her and stormed off, slamming the door to the restaurant as he went. Tiffany sagged back down into her seat and buried her face in her hands.

I jumped up from my seat and moved to her side. I wrapped an arm around her shoulder and held her close to me. Tiffany was literally shaking, at first I thought with fear and then she lifted her head and I realized it was rage. "Where does he get off passing judgment on me! That bastard. You know what I will not let him ruin this night for us Sooyoung. Can we get out of here please?" Tiffany asked tiredly as the anger drained out of her.

"Of course we can, Baby," I answered. I kissed her cheek and signalled for the check. Once we were paid up we headed back out to the car. "So, where to beautiful?" I asked once we were settled in the Porsche.

"I don't mind, I just want to be with you," Tiffany murmured as she reached over and rested her hand on my knee. I smiled at her and covered her hand with my own.

"Tiffany, are you ok, after what happened in there?" I asked gently.

Tiffany sighed and rubbed her eyes with her free hand, "Yeah I'll be ok, I guess if I'm going to be out I need to get used to the odd ignorant remark, and hey the guy did just find out I'd broken up with his son and then caught me on a date with someone else, he's entitled to be pissed off."

"It doesn't justify what he said Tiff, and Baby most people don't think like him and Moon Ye Seul. Most people will surprise you with how they react. I'm sorry it happened," I murmured leaning back into the soft leather of the car seat.

"It's not your fault that Siwon's father is an ignorant prick just like his son. The only thing you're responsible for tonight Soo is giving me one of the best nights I've ever had. From the moment we arrived and right up until Mr. Choi I just relaxed and had a wonderful time, so thank you," Tiffany smiled shyly up at me and leaned over to place a soft kiss on my lips before settling back in her seat, "Now where are we going, Brown?"

"I want to show you a place that always inspires me. It's a place my Dad used to take me when I was a kid," I said as I started the car.

"Sounds good to me. Soo, thank you for being amazing."

I beamed at her, "Baby, if I'm amazing it's only because you bring it out in me."

Tiffany chuckled, "If you say so Choi, although I kinda think the amazing was there long before I was."

I laughed and then became serious for a moment, "Hey Tiff, thanks for taking a chance on me, for letting go of your fears and letting me in."

Tiffany looked at me tenderly, "I bet on you Soo and it has been so worth it."

I just smiled adoringly at her and drove off towards our next destination.

-------

 

Yeah, right. Like father, like son, huh? ._.

Ok so the next chapter will pick up where this one left off.

comments and upvotes? ;p

see ya in the next chappy!