Trading souls

We were meant for each other.

Key's POV:

I just stood there, not knowing what to do or how to react. Then I heard a scream above me and I looked up. The spirits above me had stopped fighting and I wondered why. Then I saw it. KangDae had been the one who had screamed. He was staring at the elevator shaft with big eyes like he couldn´t believe what had just happened. Eric on the other hand was looking around scared. 

 

"SungHae, what's happening?" I asked worried in my head. The spirit of the girl didn't look at me, but answered me in my head. 

 

"I don't really know. Something has happened with Jonghyun and the heir of KangDae. I just hope it's not too bad for Jonghyun."

 

I felt my heart dropping to my stomach. It couldn't be true... "I know what happened. The two fell down the elevator shaft. KangDae wanted to attack me, but Jonghyun jumped on his back and they fell down the elevator shaft. SungHae, what if he..." I didn't dare to finish my sentence and I felt the tears forming in my eyes.

 

"No, no, don't worry, Key. If Jonghyun was dead now, I would be able to tell you. And I'm sure you would be able to tell that yourself even without me or Eric. If someone you love more than anything in the world dies, you'll know right away." She said and I felt a little more reassured although not totally.

 

"I have to see if everything is alright." I said, but I could immediately feel SungHae's disapproval in my heart.

 

"Don't go, Key. It's too dangerous. I'll go and look. I'll let you know what I find out, but please don't do anything stupid."

 

I sighed. It felt like my mother was talking to me. "SungHae, I never do anything stupid, you know that right?" I said irritated and I heard her giggling in my head. *Well, I'm really taken seriously here.* I thought sarcastically. Still I did listen to her and watched her go down.

 

Eric and KangDae hadn't moved through the whole conversation, but the moment SungHae was gone KangDae turned to Eric. They looked each other in the eyes. I couldn't hear anything they said, but it was obvious they were talking to each other. 

Suddenly I felt a wave of panic taking over my heart. I immediately knew it was SungHae and I took a deep breath to calm down. "What happened?" I asked silently, but she didn't answer. That made me worry even more. "SungHae, please answer." I begged her, but still she didn't answer. Just when I was about to choke on the panic in my heart, Eric flew past me down the elevator shaft and disappeared out of sight. What was going on? I looked at KangDae, but he didn't look at me. He was staring at the elevator shaft, probably hoping to see his heir again alife.

 

After what seemed an eternity the two spirits came out of the elevator shaft. They were both carrying something. They landed just before me and lay down their baggage. I carefully walked to the baggage and hoped it wasn't what I thought it was. When I reached it, my world collapsed.

 

Jonghyun was lying on the floor with his limbs all over the place. He had a deep cut that covered his whole left cheek and his clothes were drenched in blood. I clenched my hand before my mouth while I tried not to vomit. The person lying beside him was KangDae. He looked possibly even worse, but all I could see was Jonghyun. My Jonghyun... 

Eventually I crouched down next to him and lay my hand before his mouth to see if he was even breathing. First I couldn't feel anything and panic shot up, but then I felt a little sight striking past my fingers. I felt intense happiness spreading through all my body, but I knew it was still too early to be happy about this. 

 

"Key, we have to tell you something." SungHae began and this time she wasn't talking in my head. For the first time since I had seen her spirit she was talking out loud. Surprised I looked up and realized she was floating just above me. I could see tears in her eyes and panic again took over my heart. 

 

"W-What's the problem, SungHae?" I asked hesitantly. I almost didn't dare to ask seeing the look in her eyes. 

 

She stayed quiet for a while and eventually looked at Eric. He nodded silently. "I'm afraid Jonghyun won't make it. KangDae is too far to be rescued and if we don't do something quick Jonghyun will be too." 

 

My heart turned into ice. 

 

"W-What are you saying? But... But why is he still here then?" I asked and I pointed at KangDae's spirit. While I looked at him I could see he hadn't moved since I had seen him talking with Eric. 

 

"The moment I went down to get the bodies he just froze. I suspect he can't move because the body he normally uses is dying." Eric answered and I just shook my head. This was too surreal to even think about it. 

 

"Then why can you move?" I asked while I looked up to Eric. He did move a little slower then SungHae, but he did still move. He smiled slowly.

 

"Jonghyun isn't as far gone from us as the heir of KangDae, but it won't take long. I can already feel the consequences. We have to hurry. There isn't much we can do for him. For as far as I know there is just one thing and-"

 

"No! You can't do that!" SungHae interrupted. She looked at her boyfriend and now the tears were really streaming down her face. Eric slowly floated towards her and hugged her. 

 

I just looked at them and tried to figure out what they had been talking about. "So there is something that can save Jonghyun's life?" I eventually asked and Eric turned to me again. I noticed he moved even slower now than a few seconds before. Jonghyun's time was running out. 

 

"Yes, there is. It's very dangerous and I'm not sure if it will even work, but it's all we've got." He said. "You want to hear about it?" He asked and I nodded furiously. 

"I could enter his body again and give him the last bit of life I have. That would be able to bring him back to life, but I would disappear forever and Jonghyun would never be exactly the same." The young man said while SungHae was crying next to him silently. 

 

For a moment I was just progressing what he had just said. So there was a change for Jonghyun to survive, but he would change forever if he would do that. I swallowed and looked at my precious boyfriend again. Then I looked at SungHae and Eric. Eric was now comforting SungHae and whispering in her ear. I realized that if I would agree to this, I wouldn't only kill Eric for the second time, but also take away SungHae's only reason to be here. It felt like my heart was being torn in two. What should I do? 

It was like SungHae felt my insecurity 'cause she turned to me and looked at me. Through our eyes we communicated and then she slowly nodded. Directly afterwards she broke down and she started sobbing on her knees, with her face in her hands. Eric hugged her shoulders and looked at me. 

 

"What's your answer, Key? I need to know now. In a few more minutes Jonghyun will be gone forever." He said and I swallowed. 

 

"Let's do it. I'm sorry, SungHae." I said when I heard her sobs increasing. 

 

Eric smiled and nodded. "It's a wise decision. I'm proud of you, Key." And with that he floated to Jonghyun's body.

 

"WAIT! Please, wait just a few seconds." SungHae was standing again and I was shocked by the look of pure sadness in her eyes. She swallowed and clearly had difficulty speaking. "I-I wanna feel you just one more time. Not as a spirit, but as a human." She stuttered and Eric smiled. He nodded and they both closed their eyes. 

 

Speachless I looked at the two spirit slowly turning to their former human form. Eventually they were standing on the ground, facing each other. SungHae's blond hair was shimmering in the light of the room and Eric eyes had a twinkling in them I hadn't seen when he had been a spirit. Tears still streamed down SungHae's cheek while they walked towards each other. I could feel my own tears starting to roll down and I took a deep breath. My heart hurt to know I was the one who was doing this to them. 

They embraced each other and I could hear SungHae sobbing in Eric's chest. He kissed her temples and her hair. For a whole minute they were just standing there like that, but eventually they released each other. They turned back into spirits in a spit second and then Eric turned to me. 

 

"I'm going now. It was nice to know you, Key, and I'm sure we'll see each other again." Then he walked to Jonghyun's body again and bent over it. Just before he touched his he turned his head to SungHae. 

"I love you, babe. I'll always be with you. You were my life and my afterlife and I'll never forget you." With those words he touched Jonghyun's body and a bright light surrounded both of them. 

 

"NOOO!" SungHae cried and she stretched out a hand towards her boyfriend. I closed my eyes. I didn't want to see this painful goodbye. I could feel the warmth of the light surrounding the two growing and soon the whole room was filled with light. I heard one last scream, but it wasn't SungHae's or Eric's. It was KangDae...

 

Then it suddenly became dark. I slowly closed my eyes. The room was empty expect for Jonghyun and me. I rushed to his side and studied his face. Did it work? I bent over him and instead of using my hand to feel his breath I placed my mouth on his. For a few seconds I felt now response and a mix of sadness and panic started to take over my heart, when I suddenly felt his lips moving against mine. I opened my eyes and looked right into two big brown pools. I pulled back and looked at him. 

"Y-You're alive!" I stammered and the tears again began falling while I began laughing hysterically. 

 

Jonghyun slowly got up and he looked at me. He frowned a little. My laugh died out when I saw the look in his eyes. Something wasn't right.

 

"Uhm... Who are you?" He eventually asked and my heart stopped.