Meeting Nali's Family

"Please Be Nice To Me"

(Nali’s POV)

I stared at the piece of paper in front of me. I really did just sign the contract.  Hyun Joong created his own business from ground up and is very successful. Appa would be glad to have him help with his company. Appa still wants to meet Hyun Joong and invited him to dinner tonight. I hope he’s going to be okay with it.

“Hyun Jo—“- I began but I stopped, remembering that he wanted me to call him Oppa. He also shot me with a look that he was annoyed.

“Oppa, if you’re free tonight, my Appa would like to invite you to dinner. He would like to meet you. But if you’re busy, then it’s okay. I’ll let Appa know that you couldn’t make it.” I quickly said holding my breath, hoping that he wouldn’t get mad.

“Tonight? Okay, I’ll have dinner with your Appa. I’ve already canceled all my meetings for today.” He replied. That wasn’t hard.

“Tonight we will have dinner with your family. Tomorrow we will have dinner with my family.” He said.

“Okay, we can do that.” I told him.

“Do you have any events that you need to attend today for work?” Hyun Joong Oppa asked me. I shook my head no.

“Okay, I have a little bit of paper work that I need to finish up. You could have a seat on the couch over there while you wait. It won’t take me long. After I’m finished, then we could head over to your family’s house. Are you okay with that?” Hyun Joong Oppa suggested. 

“That’s fine, I could wait.” I replied.

“Would you like anything to snack on or drink?” He asked me.

“No I dont need anything thank you.” I told him. Hyun Joong just nodded and went straight to work. I couldn’t help but stare at him. He was so focused on his work. How can someone look so perfect? He seems like such a hard worker. He wouldn’t disappoint Appa with his business. After about 20 minutes Hyun Joong Oppa put closed all of his folders and put his pen down.

“Alright, I’m finished. Are you ready to go?” Oppa asked as he walked over to me.

“Yeah, let’s go.” I replied.

(Hyun Joong’s POV)

Nali waited for me to finish up my paper work so patiently. It’s time for us to go to her Appa’s house now. When I took Nali’s hand in mine, her hands felt cold.

“Nali, why are your hands so cold?” I asked her.

“I’m just a little cold is all.” She replied. Nali had a dress on that was pretty thin. If she was cold in my office, why didn’t she say anything? Is she mute or what? She could have spoken up. I shook my head as I took off my jacket and put it over her shoulders. Nali looked at me surprised.

“It’s okay, I don’t need it.” She said as she began taking it off. But I stopped her.

“Just use it for now. I don’t want you to catch a cold before you meet my family tomorrow.” I told her. That was somewhat a lie. I honestly didn’t want her to be cold.

“Oh, then thank you.” She replied with a slight bow.

“You don’t have to be so polite to me. You’re my girlfriend, what will others think of me if I let you get cold and become sick? Even though it is all pretend. Plus the sun is going down now, so it will be a bit colder outside” I said to her. I took her by the hand again and we walked out of the building together.

She’s honestly very beautiful, fit to be a model. But her looks are deceiving. I know that I must keep her away from Jay Lai so my sister could be happy. But why does Nali look so down? Isn’t she happy that we are going to meet her family? Isn’t this what she wanted? Why does that look on her face bother me so much? Then again, why should I care? I shouldn’t worry about her feelings.

I didn’t drive fast this time, I drove normally. It didn’t take us long to get to her Appa’s house. It was a pretty big house, but nothing compared to mine. I wonder why she doesn’t live with her family. Why does she choose to live alone? I parked the car and I looked over at Nali. She was fiddling with her fingers and holding onto her purse tightly.

“What’s wrong Nali? Are you not feeling well? I asked her as I placed my hand over her forehead to check if she had a fever she was very quiet throughout the car ride.

“You don’t have a fever.” I conformed. Nali removed my hand away from her forehead.

“I’m okay. Lets go.” She spoke softly. I just nodded my head in agreement. I know there’s something wrong. Something is bothering her. We unbuckled out seat belt and walked hand in hand to the door. I rang the doorbell. Not too long after, the door swung open and there stood an elderly lady.

“Young Miss! You’re back! I missed you.” The lady said. Nali smiled, almost in tears. Nali threw her arms around the lady.

“Aunty Sa, I’ve told you many times. Calling me Nali is fine. I missed you too.” Nali said.

“Alright, I’m sorry. I’ll remember that from now on. Oh my, look how much you’ve grown! So beautiful, this old lady almost didn’t recognize you. You look just like your Umma. Aunty Sa said. Nali was now in tears. She quickly wiped them away. Why is Nali in tears? It’s like she hasn’t been home in years

“Aunty Sa, you still look the same, still young and beautiful. You haven’t aged even a bit.” Nali complimented with a smile. Soon a couple walked over to us.

“Appa… Hello Appa” Nali said softly with a bow. So he’s her Appa. And that lady next to him must be her Umma. But how come they don’t look alike? I thought to myself.

“It’s nice to see you again Nali.” Her Appa said. They don’t even exchange hugs. Hana would always hug Appa.

“Hello Aunty Niran.” Nali greeted the other lady with another bow. Aunty Niran, so that’s not her Umma.

“Hello Dear.” Aunt Niran greeted back.

“Appa, this is my boyfriend; Kim Hyun Joong.” Nali introduced me to her father.

“Hello, pleased to meet you Sir.” I greeted him with a bow.

“The pleasure is mine Hyun Joong.” Mr. Gun said as he patted me on the back.

“Please come inside, dinner is ready.” Mr. Gun said. We all headed into the dining room. There were 5 plates set out on the table but there are only 4 of us. Is there someone else?

“Sa, go get Eun Jae” Niran told Aunt Sa. Aunt Sa nodded and walked half way up the stairs but stopped half way. A girl who looked just about Nali’s age began walking down.

“No need Umma, I know; I’m coming.” The girl said as she walked down the stairs. Niran sat next to Mr. Gun and Eun Jae sat on the other side of Mr. Gun. Nali sat on the opposite side of them and I sat beside her. She had her head down most of the time. Why does she look so sad?

“Oh, is this your boyfriend that you’ve dated for a year but never wanted us to meet?” Eun Jae said. So Nali’s been together with Jay Lai for a year but he’s never met her family? How could that be so? Nali didn’t say a word.

“Hello, I’m Eun Jae; Nali’s step sister.” Eun Jae introduced herself.

“Hello, Im Hyun Joong.” I greeted back. Aunt Sa served the food and we began to eat. Nali barely ate her food. She was playing with her rice instead of eating it.

“Nali dear, you should eat more. You look so weak as if your life’s going to end soon.” Niran said with a smile. Nali stopped playing with her food and set her spoon down.

“I’m full, thank you for dinner.” Nali thanked everyone.

“Why, you can’t eat here? Is the food not good? Are you afraid of us poisoning you?” Eun Jae asked.

“It’s not like that.” Nali tried to explain.

“If you’re not going to eat, then don’t! No one is making you eat. Good so it’s not a waste of food in this house.” Eun Jae harshly said. Why are they treating Nali like this?

“Or are you having some kind of sickness? Morning sickness? Oh my, Nali don’t tell me your pregnant. You got pregnant before marriage?” Niran asked, making a huge scene. Nali closed her eyes for a bit, I saw her hands form into a fist.

“Omo, Nali! How can you do such a thing? You’re such a disgrace to the family!” Eun Jae said. Nali didn’t even try to explain anything. She didn’t even make any excuses. I don’t know why but, my temper was getting low.

“Nali isn’t eating because she isn’t feeling good. No, it isn’t because she’s pregnant or anything close to that! There is no way that I’ll do anything like that with Nali. Not until we are married. So you don’t need to worry about it.” I told them. I lost my appetite. Mr. Gun started coughing. He was coughing so badly and it looked like he was in pain. There was even blood coming out when he coughed. He was having trouble breathing.

“Appa!” Nali called out as she got out of her seat and rushed to him.

“Appa, are you okay?” She asked him. She looked so scared her little body was trembling

(Nali’s POV)

I rushed to Appa’s side and asked if he was okay. But Eun Jae pinched my arm and gave me a death glare. I backed away. I couldn’t even get close to my own Appa.

“Omo, Appa are you alright?” Eun Jae asked as she helped Appa. He didn’t reply but only held onto his chest.

“Appa~” Eun Jae cried.

“Honey, lets go to the hospital! Sa! Tell the driver to pull the car around.” Niran said. Oppa stood up.

“Yes Madam.” Aunty Sa said she ran to get the driver. As soon as the driver pulled the car to the enterance of the house, Oppa helped Appa get into the car. Niran and Eun Jae went into the car with Appa. Aunt Niran only glared at me as if she was telling me I wasn’t allowed in the same car as them.

“Come on.” Oppa said as he took me to his car. We followed them to the hospital. I silently cried in the car because I was worried about Appa. Oppa suddenly grabbed my hand and gave it a lite squeeze.

“Don’t think too much. Your Appa will be fine.” He tried to comfort me. As soon as we arrived to the hospital, the nurses and doctors were all ready for Appa. The nurses helped Appa out of the car and onto the hospital bed. They wheeled him into the ICU room.

“All family members please wait in the waiting room.” One of the nurses’s said as she closed the door behind her.

(Hyun Joong’s POV)

“It’s your entire fault Nali!” Niran yelled at Nali and began pushing her. I wrapped my arms around her body and protected her with my body. Nali only continued crying.

“Yeah! If you didn’t come home, Appa wouldn’t be like this!” Eun Jae yelled.

“If you didn’t show your face in this house, he would have been fine.” Niran yelled. I couldn’t take any more of this bull!

“Enough! Honestly, this isn’t Nali’s fault!” I yelled.

“If you two didn’t bring up the pregnancy topic in the first place, things wouldn’t be this way.” I explained. The two mother and daughter calmed down a bit. They sat down on the seat and began to breathe heavily. I sat Nali down and held onto her to comfort her. I don’t understand why she doesn’t speak up. I really do hate seeing her sad and in tears. But this isn’t my goal! My goal is to make her hurt and cry too. Why am I not doing it? Why am I comforting her instead? Nali kept on looking at the ICU door. After an hour passed, the Dr. finally came out of the ICU room. Nali immediately stood up and rushed to her Dr.

“Doctor, how’s my Appa?” She asked him.

“Your Appa has a heart problem and is quite ill at the moment. Shouldn’t you know that he has a heart problem? We told his family the last time he had his checkup.” Said the Doctor.

“From now on, please be careful with what you guys do or say to the patient. If he has a heart attack, it can cause him his life.” The doctor informed us as he excused himself. Nali went silent and couldn’t believe the words coming out of the doctor’s mouth.

“Appa, he has a heart problem?” She began to cry again.

“Why didn’t anyone tell me about this?” She asked the two mother and daughter.

“And tell me one good reason why we should tell you?” Eun Jae asked.

“Because I’m a part of this family too.” Nali answered.

“Who says that you are? You’ve been out of this family ever since the day you were kicked out of this house. I don’t consider you as my daughter!” Niran said loud and clear.

“And as for me, I don’t consider a tramp like you as my sister!” Eun Jae said.

“Do you think that your father even loves you anymore? Think about it! Does he really even care about yo or worry at all? No, I don’t think so. He doesn’t even have time for you. He no longer loves you. You’re not a part of hhis life!” Niran yelled. The tears streamed down Nali’s cheeks like waterfall

“Ever since your Umma died, you no longer mean anything to him. Along with your mother, you’ve died in his world as well. In his world, it only consists of me, his new wife and Eun Jae, his new and ONLY daughter.” Niran told Nali. Nali ran away from them. I clenched my hands into a fist. If they were not woman, I would have punched them right about now. This is too much.

“Don’t you think that that was a bit too much?” I asked them with a stern look on my face and walked after Nali. This is not a family. There is no love in this family. I need to have Nali’s family investigated more.

 

 

 

 

-Author's note-

Hello everyone I hope you guys enjoy this update. I know that Nali’s a cry baby but just bare with me :) Please don't forget to leave comments and tell me what you guys think. It always encourages me to keep going. Thank you!