The Agreement

"Please Be Nice To Me"

 (Nali’s POV)

Each day when I open my eyes, I wake up to the news of Hyun Joong and me.

“When will they admit that they are together?”

“Are they denying their relationship by not making any announcement?”

“Why are they still denying their relationship?”

“Did Gun Nali just spread rumors herself?”  

“Is Gun Nali using Kim Hyun Joong for money and fame?”

“Why hasn’t Kim Hyun Joong spoken up?”

So many questions that I don’t even know how I’ll ever answer them. When I’m at work in the studio practicing, there are many reporters waiting outside for me. They would swarm around me like fire ants. I always have to hide from them. I don’t usually have any bodyguards around me unless there is a show or party going on. Either I’m on my own or Rita comes to my rescue.

“Nali come over here, this way.” Rita would come get me and help me leave the building. I told Rita about what happened the other night at my condo with Hyun Joong.

“What are you going to do now? So many rumors are spreading day by day about you.” Rita asked me as we got into her car. I removed my hat and sunglasses.

“I’m not sure what I’m going to do. The media aren’t the only ones who want answers, our boss wants answers too. He called me into his office today. He asked me what the whole story that has been going around is about. He wants me to answer the whole media because it’s affecting the company. And today is the final day already. Hyun Joong has given me three days to give him an answer if I’m willing to agree with his contract or not.” I told her with a sigh. Just as I finished telling Rita about our boss, my phone rang. I looked down at my phone to see the caller ID. It was Appa again. I never brought Hyun Joong to meet Appa like Appa wanted to.

“Hello Appa?” I answered my phone.

“It has been three days already, why haven’t you brought your boyfriend to see me? The news is getting out of hand! Do something about it, you are ruining my company and our family’s name. Because of you, all of my stocks are failing. Since you’ve been on the news so much with such horrible rumors, fix it!” Appa commanded over the phone with is cold voice.

“Yeah quickly fix it, unless you can’t because you aren’t really dating that billionaire. Don’t be a lose women. You really are such a trouble maker. You are always the problem in the family. Now you are causing your father’s business to go down the drain.” My stepmother, NiRan said over the phone in the background. Since she became my step mother, Appa only ever believes her and her daughter Eun Jae. She never accepted me as her step daughter. She told me never to call her mom because she didn’t want a daughter like me. I was only allowed to call her Aunty Niran. Appa was so blinded by her love. In front of Appa Aunty Niran always acted like she loved me and cared for me. But behind closed doors, she always beat me. I never told Appa about it because she always threatened me as a kid. The only person who helped me when I was younger was Aunty Sa, our house keeper. You could say she was a maid, but I never thought of her that way. She was like a second mother to me. She would apply medicine on my wounds for me and wipe away my tears.

“Anyways, bring him over for dinner tonight. I need his help with my company. Since he’s your boyfriend now, he could save my company from going bankrupt.  He’s a billionaire. Helping his girlfriend’s father wouldn’t even be a big deal to him. That is if, you are really his girlfriend. If I don’t see him here tonight with you, I’ll take it as you lied and is nothing but a fake. I’ll no longer accept you as my daughter because you are a big disappointment to me.”  Appa demanded as he hung up the phone.

“That… didn’t help with your situation at all.” Rita began. I felt so hopeless. Just as I was going to set my phone down, it vibrated. It was a message from Hyun Joong. One thing after another, I swear.

“I’m waiting outside your condo. Have you got your answer yet?” Read his text message. How did he get my number?

“Are you ready to go back to meet him now? What’s your answer?” Rita asked. I nodded my head indicating that I was ready to go.

“Appa… says I’ve ruined our family reputation because of all these rumors. I don’t want Appa to think so much and I don’t want Appa to be angry. I want to make him happy. He says he needs Hyun Joong’s help in order to save his company. And my career really is on the line. Do I really have any other choice?” I told Rita. She just nodded in agreement.

“I’m sorry, I wish I could find a better way to help you.” Rita tried to comfort me.

“It’s nothing for you to be sorry about. You’ve already helped me out so much.” I told her. When we pulled up to our condo, we saw a white 2020 Lamborghini Aventador S parked outside the entrance of our condo. When Rita and I got out of Rita’s car, the valet driver took Rita’s car and parked it for her. The Lamborghini door opened and Hyun Joong walked out of it.

“Wow…” was all Rita could say, she was so amazed by his car. Many people surrounded his car. Such a show off, I thought to myself. Out of nowhere as Hyun Joong was walking to me, I notice cameras flashing. It was the news reporters again. Why did they show up here now? Hyun Joong quickly took me by my hand and led me into his car. He is trying to cover me from the camera. His car door automatically opened up and he helped me inside before the door went down on its own.

“Kim Hyun Joong please answers a few questions!”

“Kim Hyun Joong, is Gun Nali truly your girlfriend?”

“Gun Nali, if so, how does it feel to be dating a billionaire?” The new reporters yelled out questions after questions. The security guards came out and tried to get rid of the reporters. Hyun Joong quickly drove off. Him driving made my heart feel like it was going to jump right out of my chest.

“Can you drive a bit slower please?” I asked him as I desperately held onto my seat.

“What’s your answer?” He simply asked as he shifted gears. He wasn’t driving any slower. I felt like I’m going to throw up.

“Answer me first then I’ll slow down.” He laughed. How is this funny to him?

“Okay, I’ll sign the contract. I’ll agree to be your girlfriend.” I blurted out loud.

“Good, that’s all I needed to hear.” He said as he finally slowed down. I could finally breathe again.

“But I have some conditions. I hope you can agree to it as well.” I told him. He looked over at me and parked the car.

“Let’s go inside so we could talk more about the contract.” He replied. I looked outside the window; we were parked outside of a huge company. On the top of the building it says “Kim’s Group Corporation”. This must be his company; it’s a hundred times bigger than Appa’s company. I only nodded my head in agreement. Hyun Joong opened the door and helped me out of his car.

“Follow me, remember you are being watched. You should know how to act.” He told me as he took my hand. I tried to pull my hand away from his, but he only held on tighter.

“You don’t have to hold my hand. I can still follow behind you.” I told him.

“What are you afraid of? We are entering my company and you’re my girlfriend. Remember?” He said. Hyun Joong continued holding my hand as we walked inside. When we walked inside the building, all the workers stopped what they were doing and greeted us as we walked pass them. The 2 female workers at the front counter stood up from their seat to greet us too.

“Good afternoon Mr. Kim.” Everyone would say as we walked by. He had straight face and kept on walking. Everyone was dressed so professionally. The inside of the building was even bigger than I imagined. The design was so luxury, it looked like it cost a fortune. I followed him into the elevator. Before the elevator closed I could still see many of the people there looking at me. I noticed that they were beginning to whisper something to each other. When we got to the top floor, Hyun Joong’s assistant got out of her chair and greeted him.

“Good afternoon Mr. Kim.” She bowed to him. She was beautiful.

“Kara, don’t let anyone disturb me. Cancel all of my meetings for today.” Hyun Joong ordered her.

“Understood, Sir.” She replied. He led me into his office and closed the door behind us. Although I had my back turned to Kara, I could still feel like there were daggers being thrown at me by her. Am I going to be hated by so many women just because I’m his “girlfriend”? I thought to myself. I’ve probably just made myself into the world’s most hated person…

(Hyun Joong's POV)

Gun Nali has really agreed to my contract. But she says she has some conditions before signing it.

“What are the conditions that you want?” I asked her.

“My condition is that, you’ll help my Appa with his business. You are right, Appa’s business is failing. If you could help him then I’ll agree to the contract.” She said.

“Is that all? You don’t need money? You don’t need a car? No house?” I questioned her. She really doesn’t want anything at all?

“No, I don’t need any of those things. That is all I need.” She quietly replied. Really? That is her only condition?

“Okay, then I’ll agree to your condition. You will pretend to be my girlfriend for 1 year. You will meet my family and we will attend events together. We will make the world think that we are really dating so you don’t lose your reputation or job and the rumor won’t affect my business (it will also keep you away from Jay Lai). From now on, you must address me as your Oppa. I will help your Appa’s company. After a year, we will announce that we broke up because things didn’t work out between us. That will be the end of our contract. Anything else you want to add?” I said to her. Nali shook her head no. Why does she only ask for help for her Appa. She really doesn’t want anything for herself? Maybe she’s just messing with me. I know there is more to her than this.

“Here’s the contract. Sign it.” I told her. She grabbed a pen and signed the contract. Today we officially become a “couple”.