Last Together

Capture

Thunder’s p.o.v

He had been tense all morning and I just wanted to know what was wrong. He wasn’t speaking which really isn’t like him and I... didn’t know what to do. He was internally struggling and it was obvious but I don’t know why I was hesitating to talk to him. I cooked breakfast just some eggs and toast and bacon. It was steaming right under his nose but he was staring into space at the kitchen bar. I tapped his shoulder on my way back to the kitchen to clean my own dish. He jumped. “Hyung what’s got you-“ “They’re not my real parents!” He said it in a deflating tone. But it was loud like he was filled to the brim with the statement, like he was holding his breath and was glad to finally let it go. “W-what?” “They think I don’t know they aren’t my real parents.” He got up and accidently his hand slid the plate on the floor and it shattered. He turned to it and threw his hands up in defeat before living the room.  I don’t think I understand what is happening with him he wasn’t like this this morning.

I waited a few minutes and cleaned the mess and washed the dishes before I went to check on him. If I learned anything about Joon it’s he likes his space when he’s upset and needs to think something over. I let more time pass as I decided to get dinner ready and baked cookies. Classes were over for the holidays and so we had a lot of time on our hands. We’ve been inside for a few days just spending a lot of time talking about our passes and getting to know each other better. I’ve really liked the time I almost would be perfectly fine spending all my time with just him and no one else. When I was taking the cookies out of the oven the pan was too hot and I got burned through the oven mitt. I yelped suddenly and started to cough. I kept coughing and I couldn’t stop, I couldn’t breathe I slid down to the floor and leaned my back against the cabinets. I tried to stand up and hover my body over the sink. Blood. I started to cough up blood, that’s nothing I’ve ever seen before and it was the scariest thing I’ve ever experienced. I’m supposed to be better.  I’m not supposed to feel this way. My stomach hurt so much If I knew what dying felt like I’d figure it was something like this.

Joon’s p.o.v

The phone is ringing. It keeps ringing and my head is spinning. My stomach growled and I remember I’ve haven’t had breakfast. I don’t even think I could stomach any food right now. I remember riding the train one morning when I was younger I couldn’t be more than four and my feet didn’t come close to reaching the ground. I was sitting by myself and swinging my feet. It was cold then and my breath made the window fog so I wrote my name and a woman came and sat beside me. “Changsun” she said as she sat. “Do you know your last name Changsun?” I looked up at her and she smiled at me. “Yesh I know it’s Lee I’m Lee Changsun.” She smiled and started to cry. I use to dream about this moment a lot when I first started college but I could never remembered what came next or I just ended up waking up. But last night I remember what I said. “Don’t cry mommy we’re going to visit Grandma now and she’ll bake us pie. Omma loves pie.”  She sniffled and wiped her tears. “My son knows me so well. Hey listen we’re going to get off the train a little early and meet some really nice people. Do you want some nice people sweetheart?” I looked out the window again. I never did like meeting new people and I thought about it. She poked me “Hey you aren’t thinking of being mean to omma’s friends? They’re so excit-“ She started to cry again “excited to meet you. Omma really wants you to like them okay?” I hated when she cried, her eyes got really puffy and her cheeks turned a bright pink whenever she did. I think she had astma because she never had steady breathing but I was too young to worry about that. “I won’t omma.” She kissed my cheek and pulled me close to her side. I think she cried in my hair when she rested her chin there and I never understood why she was so sad that morning. “Hey do you know omma’s name?” “Omma’s name?” I shook my head and looked up at her. Something was really wrong. But all I remember is getting off the train and meeting two people.

                Those people…they’re my parents.  “Changsun do you know who these people are?” …”They’re you’re parents sweety, I…I got you new parents because omma isn’t good enough. I’m sorry but hey you love me right?” I didn’t understand I didn’t know what was happening. “I love omma …” I hugged her and I didn’t let go I felt so sick I knew something was wrong, something was so wrong and I held onto as tight as I could but I don’t understand what happened after that. I just remember her waving from the train window and my parents holding my hand.

I don’t understand is this just a dream and if it is why do I keep having this nightmare. I was always told I looked nothing like my parents but to me I did or imagined that I did. Thunder’s phone keeps ringing, it’s his omma’s tone but why won’t he answer? I started to smell something burning and sat up quickly from the bed. The ceiling was covered in smoke and the fire alarm was buzzing in my ears, the phone was still ringing why …am I just noticing it?  I jumped up and ran to the kitchen but I didn’t see Doongie only a dark cloud of smoke coming from the oven. There he was slumped over on the floor behind the counter and his shirt collar to the chest was coated in a scarlet red. Blood.

“THUNDER!”

 

Thunder’s p.o.v

[Sirens] “You are my sunshine, my only sunshine, you make me happy when skies are grey you’ll never know dear how much I love you please don’t take…my sunshine away.” Why is Joon singing?

My head…hurts. I can’t talk I can’t move. Help me…