Three.

Capture

Joon p.o.v

         “Yah what are you waiting up for me now?” I called out, probably too early. I was sure I wasn’t even close to being within his rage of sight yet but he was in mine. Shivering as usual. Class had gone on a bit longer than usual and I was running late, he wasn’t working just sitting on a park bench. What an idiot.

As low as that bench was to the lake, what if he fell in as if the breeze coming off the water isn’t strong enough he really has been trying to freeze to death lately.

Lately? Joon you only just met him and even so you don’t know him really, it’s not like you to be concerned.

I walked up behind him, making sure to not scare him. I didn’t do so well with that. “Yah!”

         His body jolted forward I grabbed his wrist and pulled back, I really didn’t want to have to jump in and save him from freezing to death in icy water. He looked back his eyes were wide. I looked at his wrist it was rosy, I pecked it gently with my lips. “Mianhe Thunder.” I said, even shocking myself. He pulled his arm back quickly. It was silent and awkward for a brief moment, I scratched the back of my head. My black hair had nearly turned into icicles in the cold. “I’m begging you,” I started “especially If you aren’t working, don’t stay out here so late.”

I tossed something his way and he caught it (thank god, if he would have let it fall …).

“What’s this Joon?” He asked looking down at the black fabric. “You left your sweater thing at my house, I was going to bring it but it smelled weird, I wasn’t sure If I should’ve washed It or burned it.”

He unfolded the material and it fully unraveled. “You got me a new jacket?”

I nodded leaning over the back of the wooden park bench. “I think it’s more suited for this weather we’ve been having and it’s new so.” I shrugged. He bowed to me, smiling. “Well, get home, I have to get out of here.” I said finally turning away from him.

“Joon wait.” I paused.

“Wae?” …….he didn’t say much more. Even though I had already asked, he just stayed silent standing there, his fists clenched and his eyes closed. “About your film…”

 

Thunder’s p.o.v

       I had thought about it all night, and morning. Even though originally my decision was based on the money but Joon was a really nice guy, in a weird way. He had helped me already so many times, with the leaves twice, he gave me food and now a new jacket. I wanted to him. “Joonie Hyung, I want to be in the video, I want to help you get an A, I’ll do whatever you want.” He half smiled but then grimaced.

“Don’t make me sound so hopeless.” He shoved his hands in his pants pockets and looked over his shoulder. “Besides we’re on break now so I have a little more time to work on it. How do you know I haven’t found someone already?”

That thought hadn’t crossed my mind. I felt embarrassed when Joon said that. “I’m sorry I-I hadn’t considered that. Sorry Joon, thanks for the jacket.” I started to walked toward the sidewalk from my place near the lake, I figured I should go home and check on my mother.

It was dark and I could hardly see, my vision started getting foggy. I couldn’t see my own feet stepping in front of me then I felt hand grab my shoulder…

That’s all I remember about getting there….

           Joon’s bed, I woke up because he hit me in the face…with a very soft pillow. “Get up.” He said zooming into my face. It’s morning, I have to take you home, I know that you live with your mom so, if I’m going to be filming you, I’d like permission from your ma ma.” He pulled a blanket from under me and  I flipped completely over. “Now get up.” He insisted before he left the room.

If I slept in his room, where did Joon sleep? I wondered. He was wearing a black tank top, how could he sleep in so little? I sat up and scratched my head but I realized it wasn’t cold at all in his apartment. In fact it was really warm, and soothing. I didn’t feel like all my bones and joints were frozen when I got out of bed.

Bed. I can’t think of the last time I actually slept in a bed or even laid on one. My body didn’t ache. I actually felt really good for once. I wondered out into the hallway and followed it out into the living room. There was a camera set up in the center of the room, I was shocked at first but calmed myself and decided to greet the camera.

I got really close to it, wearing the biggest smile I’ve worn in a long time. “Anneyong, I’m Thunder. It’s nice to meet you all.” I blew a kiss to the lenses then stepped away but when I did I bumped into a firm object. I turned to see it was Joon, had no idea his chest was so…built. “You don’t have to formally direct the camera, it has to be natural okay?”

I looked up at him, his skin seemed a lot brighter today too.

“Joon how did I get here, and if you have two rooms why did I sleep in your room?”

            I pulled a small remote from his pocket, pressed it and the red light shut off. “You got really dizzy, you couldn’t really respond to me so I just let it go and thought I should get you inside. I don’t know where you live so. And, well my room is closer.” He moved towards the kitchen. “you’re slender but not light Thunder.”

“Th-thank you hyung.” I bowed. I was pretty embarrassed that Joon had done that for me. I wondered why he was so happy. “How is your skin so great in the morning anyway?” Joon asked, before drinking from a water bottle. I wasn’t really sure, I didn’t really consider my skin to be great at any hour of the day, it was probably just the sickness that kept it pale and I don’t know what was keeping it smooth.

“I don’t know.” I said blankly.

          Joon met my mom, It was the first real thing he filmed it was really sad for me, for him to see where I lived and what conditions I dealt with normally. He didn’t seem to take it in…like he wasn’t judging at all. Once that red camera light started flashing the only thing he focused on was filming. I liked that, I could say anything, do anything, and he would film it, but he wouldn’t record it in his mind. Joon was…emotionally detached I think.

He put the camera down for a while and talked with my mother.

“Wow, you really are a handsome young man.” Omma said in a rapsy voice “and here I thought my Dongie was the most handsome boy in town. I stand corrected.”

Joon was very gentle with my mom, she seemed brighter today too. Something was just happy about the day. “When was the last time you’ve gotten out?” Joon asked a bit cheery. “I want to take you to eat something warm, both of you.”

….buying me jackets, doing my work, paying to film me and taking my mother and I out to eat was a lot.

What was Joon up to?

 

Joon p.o.v

     I can imagine that he’s under a lot of stress mentally and physically but other than yesterday it hardly shows on his face. He probably passed out from exhaustion. I had no one idea how sick his mother was, and I couldn’t bring myself to ask what her illness was as we were heading back to his house.

I just kept remembering his smile when we were recording in the restaurant, how his small lips puckered to blow and cool the soup for his mom. The conditions of his life were really clear when I walked back into his house I was meet with a temperature so low I thought my skin would freeze.

I helped get Thunder’s mother back on the couch. “Here you go ma’am is that comfortable for you?”

I bowed. “Joonie, please call me omma, I’m omma to you. Thank you for taking care of Dongie and I. I know we don’t have much.” She looked around the dimly lit room then back to me. “But you ever need anything at all, we’d be happy to help.”

I cringed at the thought, Thunder had gone pale just hearing his mom’s words. Even if I did need something I could never take anything from them. “O-oh no ma’- omma. Just letting me film is more than enough.” I bowed again trying not to frown.

“I’ll be wise with my editing and be sure to cut out anything unflattering.”

She let out a faint giggle. “Joonie, you wouldn’t have anything for your project it you did that.”

         I looked at Thunder you had took a sit near the kitchen. He was looking down and held his hair back from his forehead with his fingers. I hadn’t stopped filming yet, with the flickering light it was a beautiful shot. He looked relaxed, even for someone under a lot of apparent stress. I turned the camera off after.

“Well, I’m going. Thank you so much, omma, Cheondoong.”

“Dongie, walk this nice boy home.””Omma he can walk hisself.”  Thunder bit. It was weird, Thunder is usually very soft spoken, at least in the few times I’ve talked to him. I wonder what had him so…agitated. “Don’t call me ‘him’ hyung, I’m hyung! Now walk me home.” I demaned.

            Thunder just sighed as he got up from the floor and dusted his grey faded jeans. They were really baggy on him, but they didn’t look purposely baggy. Just like he lost a lot of weight overtime, it was clear he had them for a while. I just wanted to get him alone, him mom would be fine she looked like she was going to rest a while so, I wanted to see what was wrong with Thunder….

How unlike you Joon…caring about others?

Maybe this project was more than it was worth. I was changing too much. “Goodnight omma see you soon hopefully.” I said finally. “I’ll be back omma.”

Thunder said with his hands shoved in his pockets. It was the first time I’d actually seen him look uneasy or…less pretty? I don’t know but it was weird.

We went outside and I pushed his shoulder to the brick wall beside the door. “Yah what is wrong with you?” He didn’t even look up at me. I just rolled my eyes and nailed his other shoulder to the wall.

His eyes were glossy when he finally glanced up, he was biting on his bottom lip before he slid down to the floor. And covered his face.

“Cheondoong?” he ignored me “Doongie-ah.” I kneeled neared him and forced his head up, tears were flowing down his face and practically freezing at his cheeks. “Wh-what’s wrong?”

He didn’t answer, he just cried out and wrapped his long arms around my neck. I didn’t know what to do, I just patted his back.

…………..all I could was pat his back. But I wanted to do more. My body was just frozen in place.