Death of sisterhood

Circle of trust

Upon turning the keys, the door opened to her apartment as she entered. Her eyes were emotionless as ever, scanning her home which was not fancy or luxurious, but she still was proud of it because she had it with her own earnings without depending on anyone. 
She hung her coat and her bag on the hanger and closed the door. She scanned her apartmen  againt, looking for any cleaning to so. She was quite satisfied that she was able to have her earnings at this age of 19 only.


She went to her phone and turned the answering machine on while she changed.

“You have one message. Beep.

Norma, this is Granny. You have to come quick…it's Jessica…she’s in a terrible state. Beep.”

Norma’s eyes turned terrifyingly wide as she wasted no more time and sprinted out of the apartment without taking her coat.

Jessica, she’s sick? What sort of sickness? Is it horrible?…why…Why am I even thinking of her?
She thought as she kept running. She loudly called for a cab as soon as she saw one and directed the driver to head to her previous home.

She was biting her inner skin in tension and anticipation because she was going to see her after a long time. Jessica, Jung Jessica. Her friend and her family.

She still remembered how they met and grew up at the place where she was right now headed, to the orphanage, where she called home. It was the most important place to her as she spent most of her life there, being the youngest during her time…since she was abandoned by her real parents.

Norma remembered Granny telling her that her mother had left her here only with a note when Norma was about months. She read her mother’s note with nothing but an apology for leaving such a burden at this place. Nothing like ‘take care of her’ was written, which only meant that the mother must have hated her.

“I am very sorry to leave such a burden at your doorstep. I cannot bear to care for her…hope you forgive me.”

But a name was given for her which was ‘Norma Jin’.

As for Jessica, her real mother had brought her in while injured in an accident. Unfortunately, Jessica’s real mother wasn’t able to tell Granny what injured her or why she hadn’t gone to any hospital. Perhaps something bad had happened to her. Jessica was about four when brought in also slightly wounded but unlike Norma, Jessica had remembered her mother’s face filled with blood.

When Jessica was old enough granny had asked her what had happened that night; she said that her mother was attacked in the hospital by loan sharks and she had to get out of there with nowhere to go. Unfortunately she got hurt trying to escape also…there was no one to save them and her father had died a long time ago.

Jessica and Norma were able to relate to each other and became very close...abnormally closer than others. They were homeschooled along with the rest of the 12 orphans due to lack of money but that did not mean that they weren’t expecting any educational degrees. Norma had high ambitions, just like the rest of the orphans, to become a chef. She learned to cook by watching granny, reading books and watching cooking shows along with her studies; at the age of 14 she was accepted with full scholarship in a culinary school becoming the first of the orphans to get into school with 100% scholarship out of the rest of the teenagers got 65 or 45% in their respective subjects which was still good since they were all considerably brilliant.

However Jessica remained the only one without any scholarship acceptance. That was so because she had no high expectations unlike the rest of the orphans. She only dreamt of having a husband and children, which wasn’t bad but she had completely lost interest in studying. Then the kids and granny found out that about a year ago when Jessica was only 13, she met a boy named Kim Hyungjoon at a café and spoke to him for a very long time until she was convinced that she was in love with him. After that they kept meeting at the same store regularly without telling others. When Norma realized something doubtful she decided to stalk her on her regular day until she found out who the boy was. Kim Hyungjoon, aged 16, was the younger heir of the tycoon family the Kims and Hyungjoon had a reputation for being a delinquent.

When Norma had confronted her with this that this boy was a playboy and could get all of the orphanage into trouble, Jessica shoved Norma off telling her that she was jealous and a liar because Hyungjoon was from a rich family and rich people are bound to be criticized in public. This hurt Norma very much. Norma still remembered what she said.

“Hyungjoon comes from a popular family filled with paparazzi so they are bound to be involved in controversies…but that isn’t the issue here is it? its you… You’re envious of me arent you? You should be cause Hyungjoon is very rich and he took interest instead of you and you cant tolerate that.” she threw those words like stones hitting her mind. She couldn’t show any emotions that time instead of just looking at her like an idiot…it was like she was humiliated by someone she loved…

Granny somehow found out calmly asked Jessica to invite the boy whom she did but Hyungjoon showed extreme snobby behavior towards the orphans and, while Jessica and granny was away in the kitchen, spoke indecently towards Norma and other girls. When the girls and Norma had complained out loud, Hyungjoon denied and Jessica refused to believe them and departed the orphanage taking Hyungjoons’ hand infront of all.

Since then nobody saw her again.

Norma still remembered what Jessica had said before leaving when the girls had told her.

“I told you Hyungjoon has a sense of humour…he likes to joke around and…”

“Jessica this boy is an ill mannered BASTARD! He just asked me if I was a before! You cant take that as a joke at all unless you have a sick sense of humor too! Admit that he’s not decent at ALL!!”

“You’re just making it up!”

“HE ASKED ME TO SLEEP WITH HIM!!!”

And…Jessica has actually slapped her…in front of everyone. Granny immediately held her while the others shouted at her for it. Norma only remained quiet without any reaction or emotion…

“This is why people hate the Poor! They always Lie and have a habit of Cheating! My mother must have done it otherwise the loan sharks would never have come! Now you all are doing the Same! I thought for once you would support me in this but I guess I was wrong….you people cant tolerate me being happy! Also that I have someone who can support me with finance which you all have to work for I thought at least Norma would support but I guess…I cant stay here…not in this mess…”

That was when Hyungjoon offered her to stay with him and she left…leaving her friends; leaving Norma.

Now five years later…this was too much to tolerate. A lot has happened since then. Pretty much 6 of them (Alexander, Kevin, Eli, Hyomin, Sunny, Hyuna) were adopted due to their exceptional brains and 4 of them (Taeyeon, Tiffany, Tacyeon, Jangwoo ) got job calls from outside Korea. She was the only unfortunate one not to be adopted however she now has her own job and her own place. All of the kids during her time had gone ahead with their life along with her yet they all kept in touch with granny; 2 (Ga-in, Narsha) of them even now provides donation because they were adopted by the richest families.

Maybe 8 of her group will come since they are still in Korea, after all its Jessica. No matter what she did, she was still their friend, her best friend. They couldn’t be so cruel to her.

The car shook pushing her forward which only meant she had arrived. She paid the man and in a rush stepped out of the car and ran inside the plain old building. She looked around the small house…the small TV. There were few kids watching it and few playing. All of them looked healthy thanks to the donations from Ga-in and Narsha. She called one of the kids and asked them gently.

“Where are granny and the others?”

“There is only granny and one lady; they’re upstairs.” The kid said and went back to watch Tv.

She was shocked to hear that it was only granny and Jessica.

“No one else is here?” Norma asked again. The kid shook her head then…

“Oh, there is a baby with her. Careful to be quiet, the baby is sleeping.” The kid spoke in a shushed way which was very sweet.
This shocked her even more. There was a baby? Does Jessica have a baby? She silently walked upstairs and remained standing near the closed door. She could see the light underneath the door.

Then she pushed the door slightly and peeked her head inside. Granny looked towards her with a soft smile. Granny…the old sweet yet wrinkled woman. She wasn’t Korean at all rather she settled here when she was young with her Korean husband. The husband died but left her with fortunes which others stole from her. Whatever she had left, she started this orphanage with her determination and nothing else. She was so beautiful.

Norma entered the room and saw the figure in bed…Jessica, the Jessica who was so beautiful back in her youth and who was so proud of it; now she looked…weak and bony. Her hair was a mess and heavy bags lined under her eyes. Her beautiful figure wasn’t so beautiful anymore.

Norma couldn’t resist herself. She gulped hard as if she saw something horrifying…she her lips in shock. She noticed a small baby on the baby cot. It did belong to Jessica.

“Norma…you came. I knew you would. At least you would.” Jessica spoke in a whispering manner. She had no energy in her. 
Norma walked slowly and stood near the bed not wanting to sit beside her. She still hated her for leaving them yet…she loved her so much.

“Please Norma…sit. Sit with me, hold my hand. Please.” Jessica pleaded.
Norma complied with her requested and held her cold hand. She could see the veins so clearly.

“I heard all about you after I left. Every one of you became successful. Ga-in and Narsha are always on tv, and I even see some of their names on newspaper…and you being the youngest of us also have established.” Jessica weakly smiled at her best friend.

Norma remained silent. She knew if she tried to talk, she would end up yelling at the weaker girl.

“I don’t blame the others for not coming to see me…after what I did but I do want to say sorry to them. And now I can say through you…after I die.”

Norma couldn’t handle anymore and lowered her head whispering silently in another language. She didn’t want Jessica to see her terrified face.

“Please, you don’t have to pray for me. Not for me…you should hate me. I called you so many bad things. I deserve it in one point…”

“Shut up! Why are you torturing me like this? Why did you come here? Why is this happening to you? Why cant you just leave me alone?” Norma finally raised her head showing Jessica the angst on her face. 
Jessica took out her hand out of Norma’s grip and moved it up to her face, Norma’s cheeks.

“You were so beautiful…you are always so beautiful… I was so jealous of you because whenever people saw you, they adored your beauty and I was envious of it. I couldn’t even tell you that I hated you at some point though I showed it through my behavior. Still you were so good to me…”

Norma now understood…when they walked together, people would look at them. Norma thought they were looking at Jessica with lust even though they were both under aged. Norma’s instincts would take over and wrap her arms around Jessica in a protective way and that would make Jessica flinch. Norma thought Jessica was scared with the stares too…but now she knows. Jessica hated that people looked at Norma and not Jessica…and the way Norma would embrace her…it made them look like lovers…abnormal for Jessica it was.

“What do you want from me? Why are you doing this to me?” Norma desperately asked her trying to resist her anger.

“I want you to…take care of my boy Norma. I could have given him here but…I want him to have a mother.”

“Why? Why me?” Norma clutched the bed sheet thinking about the enormous responsibility.

“Because you can give him the love unlike the others.”

“No…I wont. Why should I? His father should be taking care of him. Where is he?” Norma asked in trouble. If she couldn’t handle him why not aborted him?

“He…died.”

Norma was stunned with the news. This baby had lost his father and now will lose his mother too? Could god be any more unfair?

“Norma…please. I cant give him to the Kim family because they will not treat him with love and affection because he is illegitimate. He’s a bastard child…please.” Jessica took Norma’s hand again and she couldnt resist anymore. She stood up and walked near the baby cot.

The baby boy…her first sight on the sleeping boy took her to a different world…a world of motherhood. How could she abandon this boy…he was so beautiful. remained open with the child’s innocence making granny smile at Jessica. She had indeed given birth to a beautiful child.

“His name is Jihoon and he’s now two.” Norma looked at Jessica who was now smiling. Now she understood why Jessica couldn’t abort the child.

“Norma I only want you to become Jihoon’s mother and not anyone else. I know you will be the only one to shower him with love and good guidance unlike any other. Not even the Kim family could provide him with good guidance so never give up the child to them just because they can provide him with more money. I have seen you all and you have become the best with considerable finance. All you need is a goal, determination and good guidance. I have signed the transfer of legal guardianship to you. Now even the great kim corp wouldn’t be able to claim him, if they come that is.” Jessica laughed lightly with her energy.

“What happened, Jessica? How did it turn out to be like this?” Norma asked.

“That…you will know later. Right now…please lets talk and catch up to few things. I heard you graduated from the culinary school and got a job at a three star hotel. You even got your own place huh? You finally made you dream’s first
step. You were such a good cook; everybody loved your cooking…” Jessica’s smile faded as she looked at her. “Can you cook the omelet you made for me on my 10th birthday? What was it called again?”

“Kai jiao.” Norma sniffed.

“Kai jiao…can you make it for me please?” Jessica pleaded. Norma hesitantly nodded but her heart was popping corns inside…she would love to cook for her again.
--------------------------------

Norma scrambled the eggs while three boys were peeling out the peas. Two girls were grinding the baked chicken.

“You guys done?” Norma asked while the children answered altogether. Norma took the peas and the chicken; then mixed it into the scrambled egg while the pan was heating.

“Okay move aside or the oil with spread.” Norma warned and the children stood back. Norma carefully poured the mixed egg onto the pan and the loud frying noises were heard. Soon the smell of chicken came out which was so mild.
She cooked it for about few minutes and turned off the stove. It was a big piece of dish and Norma cut the dish in pieces and handed it out on plates to the children leaving the last piece for Jessica.

Norma took the last plate and headed upstairs. She went into the room and sat beside Jessica cutting a piece and put in into .
Jessica slowly chewed savoring the taste.

“Mmm…cheese…chicken…peas…so tender…you’re…definitely…the best cook.” Jessica’s eyes sudden shed tear looking at her.

“Hey it’s the same…you don’t have to cry at it.” Norma teased while smiling.

“…Thank you for coming Norma. I got to eat your food one last time.”

“What are you talking about?”

“Can you do something for me Norma?” she avoided Norma’s last question.

“What is it?”

“Can you… find your mother?”

Norma’s smile faded…that left her shocked…Jessica knew Norma’s mother have abandoned her…then why search her? If her mother didn’t want her to see her mother then why bother? Why would she ask that? Norma looked at granny who was just as much as surprised as her.

“…Why…??? Jessica? ” Norma looked at Jessica who only stared at her…not blinking…not moving. “Jessica?” she called again this time…with force in her voice.

… … …

Jessica…had gone away…without…giving any answers.

Norma’s breathing became heavier. The plate fell out of Norma’s hands clatter filling the entire room; however, Jihoon didn’t wake up.

Norma suddenly felt broken like the glass itself… as she actually broke down crying loudly. She didn’t care right now seeming pathetic mourning over a girl who had left her. Her cries got louder and her face filled with tears; shaking all over and curling herself.
She didn’t touch Jessica at all. Granny stood up from her place and embraced the girl muffling her cries on her chest.

She then pulled Norma up and took her out of the room however remained the door open not letting the baby alone with his dead mother.

“Please…don’t cry…don’t.” granny couldn’t help but shed tear herself feeling desperate as Norma.

Norma couldn’t just stop at all, her lips quivering. So many things she wanted to tell Jessica…

“I never hated her…I’ve…always loved her…”
::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::