Rare Occasions

Permanent December

 

Aemi’s POV

 

I went downstairs late in the afternoon. I couldn’t get much sleep and because of that, I woke up later than usual. To my surprise, as I opened my room door, I saw Jongin walk out of guest room just across from my room. He seemed just as startled to see me. Our eyes met momentarily before I walked away. Flashbacks immediately kept appearing in my mind about the kiss. I could feel his heated stares from behind me but I chose to ignore it.

“Good morning Aemi” Minho smiled as he sat his book down on the coffee table.

“I’m going out. I won’t be home until late” I told him ignoring his greeting.

“Don’t forget to pack your things. Plane leaves tomorrow,” he warned me.

“I’m not going” I replied as I put on my ASH wedged boots. 

“It’s not an option” he replied sternly.

“And I’m telling you, you can’t make me. Now if you’ll excuse me, I have to get going,” I said with a hint of attitude.

“Do you need a ride?” I heard someone mutter.

I turned around and was surprised to see the owner of the question just asked. I stared at him a little puzzled at his intentions. Minho grinned widely, probably thinking that we were friends. Before I could possibly answer such a ridiculous question, Jongin walked past me and opened the door for me. I stood frozen at his gesture.

“Well? Are we going to get going or what?” he asked with his famous monotone voice.

 

Kai’s POV

 

I have no idea why I bothered with her. It wasn’t the kiss. But for some reason, I can’t explain how my body reacts when I was with her. During her lessons, she always shocked me by doing things I least expected her to do. She always managed to keep me on my feet. I have to admit, she left a deep impression on me. I can’t explain it. I was genuinely intrigued by her. There seems to be so many questions I wanted to ask and they were always left unanswered. She is the first person I have thought about. My mind keeps going back to her since her arrival. It was strange… it almost felt wrong.

“What’s the destination?”  I asked her as I pulled out of the Su driveway.

“I didn’t know brother- in- law stayed over last night” I commented to him.

“Jihyun and I met late last night. She insisted I stayed,” he muttered as he turned the wheel.

 

Aemi’s POV

 

I assumed that my talk with her last night hurt her. And as that thought entered into my head, I felt a tinge of guilt. I wasn’t sure if I made her cry but then again… why do I care? I seem to be asking myself that question lately. I’m starting to feel something… something I haven’t felt in a long time for Jihyun. I didn’t like it one bit.

“I didn’t really have a destination. I just wanted to get out of the house,” I admitted after a long pause.

“Aha you always surprise me” he chuckled.

I stared at him as the corners of his mouth lit up. I’ve never seen him smile before. I’ve never seen someone so beautiful before either. I was mesmerized for the second time at how attractive he was. It was beyond anything that I could explain. His smile made my heart skip a beat. He noticed me staring and when he stopped in front of the red light, he stared back at me. We both seemed so lost in each others’ eyes that we didn’t notice the light turn green. It was only after the car behind us honked several times that we looked away. I coughed awkwardly as I stared out at the window.

“Where’s Jihyun?” I asked momentarily.

“She’s at a lecture right now” he replied.

“Oh! It’s still there!” I exclaimed as I saw the Kangyoon Carnival.

“It’s just a carnival,” he whispered.

I turned to him and not realizing that he was peering over my shoulder. The tips of our noses almost touched as Jongin continued to stare at me. Why does he always stare at me like that? My eyes slowly shifted to his lips and the flashbacks appeared in my head again. I looked away as I gulped harshly trying to rid of the awkwardness I felt.

“Hmmm… wanna go?” I asked him a little reluctant to ask in the first place.

“I don’t like these things” he muttered to himself though audible from where I was sitting.

“This carnival is only opened during the winter season. You’ll regret it if you don’t” I tried to persuade him.

“I really don’t lik—”

I got out of the car and opened the driver’s door gesturing him to come outside. He was hesitant at first but he got out and seemed a bit lost as we entered the carnival. His hands in his pockets, he followed me quietly.

 

Kai’s POV

 

It was getting dark and surprisingly, I did enjoy myself. We played darts, water gun shooting, went on the roller coaster, ate cotton candy and had some dukbokki. When we were heading towards the exit of the carnival, Aemi saw the large Ferris wheel that lit up. It was decorated with various Christmas lights and Aemi grabbed my arm and dragged to it. I stared at her hand that was on my arm, for some reason, I didn’t feel annoyed. I didn’t feel awkward. I felt… I don’t know how to explain it. It was almost as if the girl next to me was from a different planet. Nothing she did to me made any sense but I wanted to know more. I was interested. Why?

“Let’s go on the Ferris wheel before we leave. Ok?” she asked.

I nodded and we were seated immediately. She stared out at the glass windows. She told me her favorite places in Seoul and what she liked about such a view as the cart started to move. But I couldn’t pay attention to what she was saying. I had a hard time paying attention because for some reason, I found the inclination to stare at her. I couldn’t take my eyes off of her. Almost as if they were glued to her.

 

Sehun’s POV

 

I was lying on my bed reading. I wanted to stop thinking about Aemi and how she rejected me the other day. Why was I being so persistent? I’m not usually like this. I was ultimately able to figure out the reason for my madness: the kiss. I didn’t want to admit but the desire for her was locked deep inside but now it’s almost as if my desire for her intensified exponentially. I was having a hard time controlling my feelings. My thoughts got interrupted when I received a call from my cousin, Chanyeol.

“Hey, Sehun! You didn’t tell me you were back! You rascal!” he chuckled through the phone.

“You’re clubbing again, aren’t you? I can barely hear you” I commented.

“Yeah! Wanna join? There are some hot girls here” he invited me enthusiastically.

I weighed my options. It wouldn’t hurt. It wasn’t like reading this book was going to take my mind off of Aemi. I grabbed my black jacket and left the house with my car keys. As I entered into St. 319, Chanyeol practically grabbed me by the neck and wrestled me down as his form of a greeting. I chuckled slightly. Just like the old times.

“Yah! You’re finally here” Chanyeol smiled as he handed me a cup of beer as we entered into his private VIP room upstairs.

It didn’t surprise me that Chanyeol already had numerous girls inside. He sat between two of them and placed his arms around their shoulders. I smiled as I gulped down the beer and was ready to take another cup before the girl next to me touched the side of my face, shifting it towards her direction. She sat on my lap seductively and as I pulled the loose strands of black hair away, she wrapped her arms around my neck and she inched closer. I tilted my head slightly to and she closed the gap in between us with her lips. All I could remember that night was the familiar vanilla scent that seemed to always intoxicate me.