Confessions and Assumptions

Permanent December

 

Aemi’s POV

 

So many years have passed. So many years have passed since Mom’s death. So many years have passed since I severed ties with the Su family. My reasons seemed logical at the time. Minho neglected Mom for that woman. Jihyun never cared for Mom and only wanted to play Daddy’s little girl. I was the only one there for Mom. Of course, I would hate them. I was there. I was there when Mom called for Dad. When she called for Jihyun. When Mom stopped breathing. I saw it all. Honestly, I hoped that Dad would get his punishment for all his sins. I have wished for both of their suffering. But now, I look back; I wasn’t much better than them.

I stole Mom away from Jihyun. I never bothered with Minho when he wanted to spend time with his daughter. I was so self- righteous that I believed that I didn’t have any faults too. But… that’s not true. I have just as many faults. If not, more. Now my father is dying. He’s dying and I have said so many mean things to him. My sister is marrying someone that doesn’t even love her back just to please Minho. Aren’t those punishments too harsh God? I asked for them to suffer but why must you make me into the bad guy in the end?

“What do I do now?” I whispered to myself.

I went back to Sehun’s house as I thought about what Jihyun had told me. I was still in a state of shock. I couldn’t believe what I was hearing. I needed time. Time to digest the information that I have just been told.

“What’s bothering you?” a voice was heard from the doorway of the bedroom.

“Did you know my father was dying?” I asked him as I turned to face him.

He stood frozen without movement. I guess from the way he reacted, he also didn’t know.

“What are you talking about? Uncle… is dying?” he whispered half to himself and half asking me.

“Why is it that in the end, I’m the bad guy? Sehun, why is it like this?”

“No way. That can’t be. Are you sure?” he asked as he leaned on the wall for support.

“Leukemia. Jihyun told me that he is in the last stages of leukemia”

I felt something wet on my face. I touched my cheek and indeed it was wet. I was crying. Crying for my father. That was the first time I cried for him. I looked away and hugged my legs as I sat in silence. Sehun was completely out of it. He stayed standing lifelessly.

 

Jihyun’s POV

 

“Dad set the date for next Sunday at the Ritz Carlton Hotel” I informed Kai as we headed to school the next morning.

“Wow… Uncle is really rushing into things” he commented more to himself than to me.

“You’ll never be able to love me… will you?” I asked suddenly breaking the ten-minute silence.

It was raining hard all morning today. I watched as Kai turned to me slowly. I heard the raindrops on the car roof making a loud contact with the roof. It seemed like I asked the question at the wrong time but after my conversation with Aemi, I was ever so certain that I should get it straighten out.

“Since the day you were introduced to me as my future fiancé, I liked you. Then as we spent the next four years of our life together, I came to love you as the man I wanted to spend my entire life with. I wanted so badly for you to love me. I did everything I could in my power to try to make you love me. But… I know you don’t love me. I just want a confirmation so that I can stop dreaming” I confessed to him.

“I dream all the time that we are going to get married and love each other like every other couple. That we are going to have children and live happily ever after. Kai… stop me from dreaming. Stop me from thinking about these delusions”

There was a silence. I was talking to myself again. This always seemed to happen when I talk about my feelings to Kai. It was almost like he didn’t care. The car came to a stop in front of the red light. Frustrated, I opened the car door and walked out. I could hear Kai screaming my name from a mile away but I ignored him. He didn’t care. Why was I expecting more from him?

Before I knew it, Kai’s car immediately pulled over behind me and he ran to catch up to me. Grabbing my wrist, he spun me around. I was soaking wet from head to toe and he was going to get wet now too.

“Why did you do that? Do you want yourself killed?!?!” he yelled for the first time.

“Why do you care? Whether I lived, or died?” I rebuked.

“Of course I do!”

“And why is that? Kim Jongin, I’m human too. I have feelings too. I can get hurt too” I finally cried out to him.

I could hear the honks of many cars passing by us. The rain was getting heavier but neither of us seem to be bothered by that. Kai stared at me as I confessed to him my most inner feelings that I’ve managed to hide for four years.

“I’ve tried to love you. I’ve tried! But I just don’t see you as a woman. I see you as a sister. As family. Someone I want to protect.”

I chuckled in bitterness. These were the words that he never uttered to me. But I knew. I knew how he felt. He didn’t even need to tell me but somehow, it hurt. It hurt me so much more when he uttered them.

“My heart has never been moved by anyone. You know that” he lied.

“Are you sure? You’re changing Kai. You’re changing at a rate that I can’t keep up with. Slowly, you’re becoming more like the person who has your heart. You’re becoming just like her,” I yelled.

“Jihyun…” he whispered.

“You think I didn’t know? You think I’m stupid? What do you take me as Kim Jongin?”

Kai looked at me as I broke down in front of him. For the first time, I was showing him my insecurities. I was showing him my weak side. I was showing him my heart.

“You like my sister and you don’t even have the courage to tell me that! Are you even a man?” I asked him without hesitation.

His face grew paler than I have ever seen before. He let go of my wrist as he continued to stare at me puzzlingly. His stare said everything. I was correct. How I wish I wasn’t.

“And now I know my assumption is correct” I said to him as I turned and walked away. 

 

 

Sorry for the long wait. I just came back from vacation. I think PD is coming to an end soon. I honestly don't know.