Troubled

Permanent December

 

Kai’s POV

 

As I pulled her closer, I tightened my grip on her small waist. I stared into her hazel eyes as if there was an answer to her sudden madness. My gaze shifted to her defined nose line then down to her soft pink lips. She didn’t turn away as we stood with my arms around her in an intense staring competition. I didn’t want to break away and neither did she. The more I gazed at her, the more confused I became. Something… was… oddly different about her. Besides the sudden change in character, her scent… changed. I leaned closer with only a centimeter away from her lips. She smelled like vanilla.

I suddenly felt an opposing force when she placed her hands on my chest in protest. She said in a low whisper as if out of breath, “I’m not Ji—”

Before she could finish her sentence, I closed the remaining centimeter gap between us. I couldn’t fathom as to why I suddenly kissed her. I never had any romantic urge to initiate any type of skinship with Jihyun during our four years together. But perhaps it was the fear that she would ask another question that I couldn’t answer.

She was someone who weighed heavily in my heart as someone who I’ve grown inclined to protect. As someone who I was responsible for. But even so… why can’t I seem to fully return those feelings?

I brushed off the remaining thoughts and as our lips touched, I was startled at her unresponsiveness. It puzzled me that as I slipped my tongue to expect a response, there was nothing. I thought… Jihyun wanted this? Just as I was about to let go, she pushed me harshly away and before I could question her strange reaction, I was further met with a slap on my right cheek. I stood in bewilderment as I looked at her in confusion. If looks could kill, I’d be dead right now because she looked absolutely furious.

“What the hell? Why would you do that?!?” she yelled as she wiped harshly.

Hell? When did Jihyun start using such… I began to analyze her closely. The girl in front of me who looked identical to Jihyun was… someone else. I stared at her clothes. She wore khaki skinnies with a white cashmere sweater underneath a navy-blue Penfield puffer jacket. In the dim lighting, I didn’t realize her hair color was black. Jihyun’s hair is brown. I widened my eyes in astonishment. How could I not have noticed before? Was I that angry? The one place I could be free and do whatever I wanted to do without restrictions was now taken away from me since one person knew of this secret place. I could never come back… again. Was I that angry that I kissed the wrong person???

“Ahhh that stung” I muttered as I smirked.

“Why would you pretend to be your sister in the first place?” I asked her a little irritated now that I thought more about it.

“Is that how you treat her? You want her to shut up so you kiss her? Aha you couldn’t even say those three words to her but you two are to be married by the end of the month… Don’t you find that laughable?” she chuckled sarcastically.

“Are you done butting in other people’s business? Last time I checked you hated your sister. Why the sudden worry about her affairs?” I rebuked immediately.

 

Aemi’s POV

 

Now that hit me hard. Why did I freaking care if he loved her? If he cheated on her? Wouldn’t that be karma for what Jihyun did to Mom? Didn’t she DESERVE everything that was to come to her? I clenched my fist in annoyance. Was my reason justifiable for that claim?

“I don’t like to owe people anything. She did me a favour and I’m just repaying it” I simply replied. 

“You don’t know anything. Stop self-assuming like you do and keep your mouth shut about this. I don’t think I owe you any explanations,” Jongin coldly said as he grabbed his duffel bag and headed for the door.

The door closed behind him as I stood silently in the practice room. I felt like I couldn’t breathe. Everything was so confusing to me. I dropped to the ground. What to do? I… kissed my sister’s fiancé. And worst of all… I was mesmerized by him… his dark mysterious eyes, his naturally sun kissed skin, his devilish smirk. I fell onto the ground as I clenched my chest. I could hear the rapid sound of my heart beating a thousand miles per hour. I’ve just committed a sin. What am I going to do? Tell Jihyun?

After a few hours, I finally arrived back home. I passed the kitchen and noticed someone. I stopped and took a step back and realized that Jihyun was cooking. At midnight?

“What are you doing?” I asked her.

“I’m packing lunch for Kai. He must have been so tired from writing the research paper so I want to make something extra special for him” she smiled as she placed an egg omelet onto the white rice.

“Why are you making such an effort? He doesn’t even acknowledge it” I said with a slightly irritated voice.

“Aemi… please just leave me be” she whispered weakly.

“Are you even sure he even eats it? You are so… Aish! I’m going to my room!”

I noticed a blue envelope taped onto my door. I opened the contents of the envelope and it contained an airplane ticket? To New Zealand? It was from Minho. I glanced quickly at the letter and threw it onto my bed. A week vacation with Jihyun and her fiancé? My thoughts went back to the incident that occurred earlier. His dancing was… so… perfect then his… lips. I shook my head in refusal. I will not think about it. It was a mistake. A one time thing. I will not think anymore about it. Su Aemi, you must forget about it. I curled myself under the blankets and just as I was about to fall asleep, I heard my phone vibrate.

It was a text message from Sehun. He’s at my window? I slowly crept out of bed and went towards the large window in my room. He waved to me. I feigned a smile and waved back. Opening the window, I shoved my head out of the window as I yelled.

“Why are you here?” I asked.

“Because you won’t answer my calls! I missed my friend! When is she coming back?” he yelled back.

“I’m sorry! I… was busy!” I lied.

“Were you busy or did you just not want to see me?” he yelled back.

Dang! Sehun. How can he just read me like that? I gestured for him to wait for me. Grabbing my coat, I went outside and met him in the front garden of my house.

“Fool. You’re going to catch a cold and then you’ll blame me for it” I muttered as I wrapped my blue cashmere scarf around his neck.

Before I finished putting the scarf on him, he grabbed my hands. I looked at him puzzlingly. I couldn’t meet his stares for some reason.

“You know right?” he asked me with a low whisper.

I nodded in reply.

“I told Father that I didn’t agree to it. Don’t worry. Nothing will happen without your consent” he reassured me.

I stared at his warm gaze. I don’t know why I was worried. Sehun… he was always my protector. Why would this time be any different? I smiled and embraced him immediately without hesitation. My best friend… will always protect me.

“Thank you” I whispered.

“But Aemi… I don’t think I can do it anymore. I need to tell you my secret”

I let go slowly and with my arms still wrapped around his neck, I stared at his face. I’m not going to lie. I know. I am well aware. But… the moment Sehun says it out loud. I don’t know what I’ll do. Sehun… don’t. Don’t say it. Don’t.

“I’ve always had my eyes on one girl. Even when I dated others, I could only think about her. I could only love her. She was the only one who could break my heart and that someone is…”