Truth & Discovery

Permanent December

 

Jihyun’s POV

 

“Where did he go?” I whispered under my breath as I called him for the tenth time.

It’s been a week and I have not been able to contact him nor as he been in school either. Father- in- law says he’s been busy with company work but not seeing him makes me feel uncertain… I grabbed my jacket and decided to go back to the University to get some books for my research paper due next week. When I arrived, I saw a familiar figure walk towards the entertainments building. Furrowing my eyebrows in confusion, I followed him.

There was only a dim light coming from the room. As I walked closer to the doorway, I heard loud music blasting and I noticed movements. Movements that I’ve never seen before. He was so swift. So graceful yet so sharp. It was a perfect harmony. I stared at him in awe as I watched him dance. Dance like no one was there. It was just him and his music. When he finished, I clapped my hands in excitement.

“Why did you tell me?” I asked as I walked in finally.

“Jihyun… when did you get here?” he asked shocked at my presence.

“I’ve been trying to contact you for over a week. Is this what you’ve been doing?”

“I’ve been busy with company work and the only time I get to rest is when I lie and tell Father that I need to get ready for exams” he explained as he took a sip of his water.

“Have you always danced like this?” I asked as I sat next to him on the ground.

“Don’t tell anyone,” he calmly said.

“Why? You dance so well. You should boast about it” I smiled.

“I’m going to go back home to clean up and then I’ll be at the company tonight” he whispered tiredly as he got up and took his bag with him

Leaving me alone in this room, I wondered exactly what he does when he is not around me? How much of him do I really know? Do I even know him at all? Dancing seemed so important to him as if he wanted to protect it. Why wouldn’t he want to share that with his future wife? I wondered all these things as I stared blankly at the mirror reflection of me. 

“Why doesn’t he want me in?” I whispered to myself quietly in despair.

 

Aemi’s POV

 

What the hell have I gotten myself into? My boyfriend wants to rush into marriage. My future brother- in- law confesses his love for me and threatens that he’ll call off the wedding. Jihyun is oblivious and she thinks she’ll have her fairytale ending with Kai. Minho is trying to set me up with Sehun and thinks Sehun and him can team up against me. Oh my god. I was desperately trying to find a solution to all my problems but to be honest, I don’t have one. I have no idea what to do or how I got myself into these problems. I thought these endless thoughts as I sat waiting for Jihyun to come home.

For the first time in years, I wanted to talk to her. I wanted to… help her. I don’t know why. I don’t know why I even bother with her when I clearly cut all ties with this family. I guess in the end, I am still her sister. She walked into her room surprised at my presence.

“What are you doing here this late?” she asked me in a shocked tone.

“I was waiting for you to come home,” I whispered softly.

“What a surprise! Did you eat?”

“Yes. I had a cheeseburger before I came” I chuckled.

“Well, whatever it is you came here for. I am thankful you came” she smiled.

“I wanted to talk to you about your marriage with Kai. I think you’re rushing into things. I don’t want you to be unhappy. I think you should get to know his feelings before you marry him,” I stated slowly.

“You guys must be really close… for him to let you call him Kai” she whispered under her breath.

My eyes widened at my mistake. I quickly looked away awkwardly.

“It’s okay. I know you two get along well. He was… after all your tutor” she smiled.

“Do you think you’re rushing it too much?” I carefully asked her.

“You never seemed to care so much about me. Why the sudden change? Did something happen?” she questioned me suspiciously.

“I.. no matter what you’re still my sister. What happened with Mom. I’m not going to talk about right now. I’m talking about your happiness and your future”

“I wanted to talk to you about that”

“I really don’t,” I snapped a little too quick.

“Please forgive Dad. And Sooyoung. You can hate me all you want. Just don’t hate Dad anymore. He loves you so much Aemi”

“I told you I didn’t come here to talk about that!”

“But I want to. Please Aemi. For me. Please” she begged me.

“Why are you always on his side? Why are you always choosing Dad over me? Over Mom? Seriously? Why is he so important to you?” I asked her furiously.

“When Mom cared for you, she neglected me Aemi. Have you ever thought about my side of the story before? Before you started to sever all ties with the family, have you ever thought about how Mom always cared for you over me?”

“What are you talking about?” I asked her genuinely confused.

“Because you were the youngest, because you were the one who had health problems, you were always first in Mom’s eyes. She never came to any one of my recitals. Dad was there. Dad was always there like Mom was always there for you”

It began to dawn on me. I took all the attention away from her. Mom favored me because I needed her. Because I needed constant attention. It was all my fault…

“When you called to tell me I needed to be at the hospital right away, I was in the middle of the most important audition in my life. Butler Lee was instructed not to tell me until it was over. Dad didn’t think it was life threatening. Mom has feigned almost deaths so many times, Dad didn’t know it was for real this time,” she further explained.

“Dad is dying Aemi. He’s living for his sins. Sooyoung helps him from time to time. She truly loved him” Jihyun finished.

“What do you mean he’s dying?” I asked her a little shocked.

“He has leukemia”

“And I can’t cancel the wedding. I know he doesn’t love me. I’ve known that since the day I met him. But this is what I want to give Dad before he leaves. This is what he wants”

“You’re coming back to Seoul was dad’s last wish. He wanted you to forgive him but he told me to never tell you that he was dying. Aemi… you’ve been so mean to him. Do you think it’s finally time to forget and forgive?” she asked me.

I looked at her seriously. My sister was telling me that all the hate that I gave to this family was all-unnecessary. It was all a misunderstanding. It was all in my head. And now… my father is dying…

“I don’t believe you” I said as I ran out of the room.