Dukbokki

Permanent December

 

Kai’s POV

 

“Here are the latest stats on the new collection this year. Look at them and write me an analysis on the current stocks and profits. Give them to Secretary Choi” Father ordered as he passed me the folder of papers.

“Yes, Mr. Kim” I obeyed as I bowed respectfully.

“The Board of Directors is excited to see your presentation next week. How is that going?”

“I’m working on last minute things. It’s almost done”

“Work hard and don’t make any mistakes. There is a lot riding on this. The Board questions your ability. As the future CEO of K&J, you need to assure them that you are capable. Arraseo?” he asked sternly.

“Yes, Mr. Kim”

“What did I say about us meeting privately? You can call me Father”

“Yes, Father”

I walked out of the K&J building and headed towards my car parked in the company’s parking lot. Dumping the papers that I needed to get done by the end of the week, I sighed heavily and loosened my ridiculously tight tie. I ed the first few buttons of my collared shirt and exhaled loudly as I ran my fingers through my hair. Injecting the keys into the hole, I started my engine. The Ferrari’s engine roared loudly.

When I walked into my house, I saw a pair of unfamiliar shoes in the shoe cabinet. I wondered whom Mom could have invited during this time of the evening. I looked around the living room and the kitchen but Mom was not there. When I walked upstairs, I heard Mom’s loud voice echoing through the hallway. The loud echo of something shattering was heard as I approached the scene.

“Ahhh… the bowl broke again!?!?” she cursed to herself as she stood up from the ground.

“What are you doing here?” I asked a little confused.

She looked up slightly and glared at me before she took off the heels on her feet. Barefoot, she turned around and held the heels up. Immediately after, she threw them onto the ground and stomped pass me. My eyes widen in surprise. No one and I mean no one ever stood up against my mother. The audacity of this girl was surely amazing.

“I’m not doing this anymore! I QUIT!” she exclaimed.

I turned around to see Mom. She was furious! She pursed her lips as she crossed her arms. Her piercing eyes never left the heels. I could see smoke coming out of her ears.

“Su Aemi! Get back here this instant!” she yelled after her.

“Mom, what’s going on?” I asked confused.

“Jongin, bring her back here even if it means dragging her back to this house!” she demanded.

 

Aemi’s POV

 

“Chinja! That old lady… What? I walk too unladylike? Aha Aish! Driving me crazy!” I muttered to myself as I walked past the front gates of the Kim residence.

As I walked out, I realized something. I had no idea how to get back. There is no public transportation or taxis ten miles from here. They owned a majority of the land here. Ahhh… I’m really stupid… I kicked a nearby rock in frustration before I turned left and continued to walk.

“If you want to go back, it’s the other way,” someone said behind me.

I turned around and was faced in front of Jihyun’s fiancé. I stared at his emotionless complexion. He never bothered to move the muscles on his face. It was always the same blank facial expression. What a stoneface!

“Ahh… why do I always run into him?” I whispered to myself in stupidity.

“Why are you here anyways? I’m not going back,” I stated clearly as I crossed my arms.

“Minho called. You seem to dislike my mother,” he said.

I don’t like his mother? As if it wasn’t obvious! I rolled my eyes in annoyance. Can this kid get to the point?

“Minho suggested that you switch teachers”

“I still have to take lessons? This is the 21st century! Who does these things?!” I yelled at him.

“Until you can be a proper lady like Jihyun, I will be your teacher”

“And why would you do such a thing?”

“Because Minho asked me to do this”

“I already said! I will not take any more lessons! What don’t you get?” I yelled again before passing by him and walking toward the direction of Seoul.

“It’s ten miles to walk to a close bus stop,” he said.

“So? It’s not like you are offering me a ride,” I muttered.

I didn’t hear his response afterwards. I turned around and he was nowhere to be seen. Jerk! I had the tiniest hope that he would give me a ride. UGH! I should just call Sehun… As I scrolled down my contacts list, I heard a car’s roaring engine close by. A silver Ferrari pulled up next to me with none other than Stoneface in the driver’s seat.

“Are you really going to give me a ride back?” I asked with a hint of begging.

“Get in”

I weighed my chances. He could either drive me back into the house or back to Seoul. Worse comes to worse, I just walk right out of the house again… I shrugged. It’s in my favour. I hopped in and before I could put my seatbelt on, he stepped on the pedal quickly. I almost crashed forward onto the dashboard if it wasn’t for my fast reflexes.

“YAH! I didn’t even put my seatbelt on yet!” I yelled in annoyance.

“You were too slow”

I sat back on the black leather seat and stared at scenery outside through the window. My stomach growled loudly on our way back to my house. I clenched at my stomach in embarrassment. Why? Why must you growl now?

“Are you hungry?” he asked after a moment of silence.

“No” I lied.

“Where would you like me to stop?” he asked ignoring my obvious lie.

We stopped at a small snack bar on the side of a busy street. Jongin parked the car and I got out of the car. He was still in the car… I knocked on the window. He pulled the window down and I gestured him to come out.

“I’m not hungry,” he stated.

“Just come and try it. You’ll like it, I promise,” I said to him.

“I’m fine”

I rolled my eyes. Ugh this kid is so stubborn! I opened the door on his side of the car and grabbed his arm, almost pulling him out of the car. His eyes widen as if he wasn’t expecting me to be so demanding. Closing his door, I continued to hold onto his arm. Dragging him to the street snack bar, I pulled a plastic stool for him to sit. He eyed the stool, motionless. I sighed and pushed him further and forced him to sit. He stared at me wide eyed again. I sat next to him and took a toothpick and held the rice cake toward him. He eyed it again as if he didn’t know what to do with it.

“Eat it! It’s good!” I said to him as I held it in front of him.

“It’s okay. I’m not hung—”

Before he could finish his sentence, shoved the spicy rice cake into his mouth causing him to be quiet. The red sauce was on the corners of his mouth and he stood still like a statue at my audacity. His eyes still the size of walnuts, I laughed at his funny expression. Taking a white napkin, I wiped the corners of his mouth.

“Isn’t it good?” I asked him as I shoved some more food into my mouth.

I looked over at him again. He wasn’t even chewing it! He was still motionless. I sighed again. I put down my chopsticks and with one hand, I held both of his cheeks and moved his cheeks in a circular motion. The lady who was working at the snack bar laughed at us. He shoved my hand away.

“Yah! What was that for?” he asked angrily.

“You wouldn’t chew! I was just helping you!” I yelled back.