Unpaid Debt

Permanent December

 

Kai’s POV

 

“I’m in front of your house right now” I said over the phone as I watched the lit window.

“What are you talking about?” she whispered.

“Look out at your window”

Moments later, I could see her little petite frame as she opened her window. I waved widely as I screamed ‘hello’ to her. Startled she tried to hush my loudness and she disappeared. I figured she was coming down and before I knew it, there she was. She approached me with her nostrils flared and her folded arms across her chest.

“What the hell are you here? At this time of the night? What if Sehun sees you?” she hissed at me as she glared at me with those icy cold eyes.

“He’s with Minho. I think we’re safe” I winked playfully.

“Can you stop it?” she asked me with a frustrated tone.

“Let’s go,” I said as I ushered her into the car.

“Where?!?” she yelled as I forced her into the car. 

I started the engine and I drove away. Aemi looked away and stared at the window. Suddenly her phone vibrated in her hands and I saw the caller ID. It was Sehun. My grip on the wheel tightened as I stopped the car in front of the red light.

“Hello” she answered quietly.

“No. I’ll be back soon. I just wanted to go to the grocery store to get some snacks. Did you just come home?” she asked.

“Oh okay. I’ll be back in a little bit. The bus is running late”

“No. You don’t need to pick me up. I’ll be home as soon as I can”

She hung up and turned to me.

“Stop the car at the end of this street” she demanded when the light turned green.

I drove the car and parked where she had asked me but before she can leave, I locked the doors. She turned around enraged.

“What the hell is your problem? Are you going to keep me hostage now?” she accused me.

“Can we just talk?” I pleaded.

“About what?” she said annoyed.

“About us” I replied.

“There is no ‘us.’ There will never be a ‘us.’ Do you have any idea how much you are hurting Jihyun?” she suddenly asked me.

Did I have any idea how much I would hurt her? She’s loved me unconditionally for so long. She’s given me everything. Without me, what was there for her? We were binded by this since we were born. Was I so selfish in my own needs that I had totally forgotten Jihyun’s?

“The wedding is coming soon. I came back to attend my sister’s wedding. What am I going to do if you leave her for me? What am I going to do about Sehun? Kai.. please stop being stubborn. You don’t like me. You are just confused at the moment. Go back. Go back to your Jihyun. I’ll go back to Sehun. That’s where we belong” she explained to me softly.

“I’m going to cancel this wedding,” I told her.

“Why are you so selfish? Why aren’t you thinking about anyone else but yourself?” she yelled.

“I’ve lived my whole life trying to be the definition of perfect. I’ve lived my entire life alone, fighting the world by myself. I have no one Aemi. I finally found something I want more than anything and that’s you”

“What about Minho? What about everything he’s done for you? He gave you my sister because he trusted you. Because he wanted you to help Jihyun too. You and her are so alike. Why can’t you fall in love with her? Why do you have to fall for someone like me?”

“No matter how much I hate her. She’s still… my sister. She lived her whole life trying to impress one person, Minho. Just like you, she’s been fighting this world alone. There is only one person more important to her than Minho and that’s you. Do you really have the heart to hurt her?” she asked me again.

I couldn’t speak. I had lost all my rationality when it came to Aemi. The fact that I am falling for my sister- in –law tells you how insane I have become. It’s not my fault that my body doesn’t react to Jihyun. It’s not my fault that I don’t feel anything for Jihyun. Yes, I feel protective of her. Yes, I worry and care for her but those aren’t romantic feelings. Those are feelings you have for family. How do I tell her that?

“This wedding is happening in two weeks. Then I’m leaving with Sehin back to England to finish my senior year. You have your life and I have mine. Just stop now” Aemi pleaded.

“Do you have feelings for me? Tell me honestly” I whispered to her as I could feel my vision blurring.

She turned to me and looked into my eyes. Caressing my cheeks, she wiped the tears that were falling. For the first time in my life, I was crying. It hurts.

“You’ll be fine. Without me. I promise you,” she whispered as she smiled.

“You sound like my mother” I chuckled as I continued to stare at her.

The mother that said those same words to me before she died. It was ironic that those words would be said to me again by the woman that I loved. I closed my heart a long time ago. After Mother passed away. After Father stopped playing with me and I spent every birthday, Christmas and New Year with Butler Lee. Everything changed. Then I find out that I was engaged since I was born to Su Jihyun. Merely a business contract. Su Minho was the uncle that was always there for me when Father wasn’t. When I had no one, he would send me gifts every birthday. I was in debt to him.

But the one I love is not Su Jihyun. It’s Su Aemi. I don’t want wealth. I don’t want Kim & Co. I don’t want any of it. I finally have something bright in my life. I’ve been alone for so long. Why is it being taken away from me?

The hands that were touching my cheeks found its way around me neck. Her vanilla scent was strong as locks of her black hair blurred my vision. I embraced her back and I could tell that she was just as vulnerable as I was even though she feigned she wasn’t.

“I don’t know when I started to like you. Maybe it was when you tutored me. Or when we went for that late night swim? Or when you comforted me when I saw Sooyoung. But… even so… you aren’t my Prince Charming. Sehun is. And Kai, you need to wake up and get back on your feet”

“Jihyun is waiting for you. And you’ll start a new life with her in two weeks”

I closed my eyes as I rested on her small shoulders. I didn’t want to ever let her go. I didn’t want to ever feel empty again. I didn’t want to return to having nothing when I had finally found true love.