Pretense

Permanent December

 

Aemi’s POV

 

Sehun called again… I ignored his call. I don’t know why I didn’t wish to see him. Was it the kiss that I initiated or was it because of Minho’s plans to get us married? So many things were going through my head. I was at a Vera Wang boutique for bridal gowns with Jihyun. I don’t know why I was even here. But Jihyun asked me and I’m not one to be in debt to someone. She got me out of classes so I guess, I could help her this once as well.

I was waiting outside the dressing room as she put on her gown. I find it odd that the groom wasn’t here. What? What he too busy to accompany his bride to look at dresses? I crossed my arms in annoyance. What kind of man is she even marrying? As she was changing, I decided to ask out of curiosity.

“Where’s Jongin?” I asked her suddenly.

“Oh, he said he had an important research paper to finish at school so I told him I could do it” Jihyun answered hesitantly.

“Don’t you think he’s selfish? If not for me, then wouldn’t you have come alone?” I said knocking some sense into her.

“It’s been a long time since I heard you worrying about me” she laughed.

“…I’m not worrying. I’m just stating that you’re stupid,” I muttered to myself.

“What happened with Mom… I… I regret and I was wrong. I’m sorry Aemi” I heard her say.

“Sorry doesn’t bring Mom back. Sorry doesn’t mean anything”

“What can I do to make you forgive me?”

“I don’t want to talk about this. We were talking about Jongin. What do you see in him anyways? He doesn’t seem to care for you,” I noted.

“I’ve never loved someone so much before. He might appear cold but he has a kind heart”

“Don’t you think it’s a mistake to marry someone if you don’t know if they feel the same? What if… he has someone else?” I asked.

“… Let’s stop talking about this” Jihyun whispered as she came out.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ 

Where did Jihyun say he was again? Oh right… at school. I walked to the entrance of the school and looked around. A few students passed by me and greeted me as Jihyun. Oh… They must think I’m Jihyun. To avoid explanations, I bowed as if I was Jihyun. I asked them for Jongin’s whereabouts and they pointed to the entertainments building. I thanked them courteously and headed towards the building.

“Excuse me, do you know which floor Kim Jongin is on?” I asked the security.

“He is on the top floor. The tenth floor” he replied.

Didn’t Jihyun say that he was doing a research paper? He lied! I didn’t know Stoneface had it in him to lie to her face. I heard loud music coming from the room to the left as the elevator door opened on the tenth floor. I walked towards the door and was astounded at what I saw.

Jongin was in loose black sweaters with a gray hoodie. His hood was pulled up as he was dancing… The quick beat of the music matched his moves exactly. The way his body moved. It was like he was making music out of his body. So in synch. I marveled at him. Just as I leaned in for a closer look, I hit my shoulder on the side of the door and instinctively yelped in pain. Jongin immediately turned around and glared at me. He stopped dancing and stood as he waited for me to speak. Aish! Worst time to get caught!

“What are you doing here, Jihyun?” he asked a little irritated.

Jihyun? Oh.. he must think I’m Jihyun. I fumbled with myself as I approached him still not speaking. What the hell am I supposed to say? I’m not Jihyun but her twin sister and I wanted to spy on you to make sure you weren’t cheating on her? I’ve gone crazy! Why do I care anyways!

“Aren’t you going to answer?!?” he asked a little louder.

Why is Stoneface getting angry all of a sudden? Shouldn’t I be angry since he obviously lied to Jihyun?... Hmmm… since he thinks I’m Jihyun… mine as well help her voice out her complaints. It’s not like Jihyun has the guts to say them anyways. I clenched my fists as I looked up at him for the first time. His dark brown eyes sparkled in the dim lighting of the practice room. His hair was disheveled and drops of sweat dripped along the side of his head. His uneven breathing was audible and for some reason, I couldn’t take my eyes off of him. Outside of this practice room, he was a boring intellectual who dressed neatly and seemed to be so much like Jihyun. But now… he was so mysterious. What was going through his mind? Does he dance often? More importantly, why keep this a secret from everyone including his lover Jihyun?

“You said you were doing a research paper. What research can you be doing while dancing?” I asked sharply trying to sound like Jihyun.

“Look Jihyun, let’s talk about this later. Not right here. Please… just leave and don’t tell anyone you saw me here” he said as he walked towards the bench.

“Why not here? Do you know how I feel? Are your needs and feelings the only thing that matters to you?” I asked him.

“Jihyun… why are you like this all of a sudden? It’s so out of character of you”

“Me? What about you? First you are this polished intellectual and now… you dance. Why won’t you trust me?”

“It’s not like that Jihyun. I—”

“You are the love of my life. Someone I can’t live without and someone that is more important than anyone in my life. You know that. Now tell me… what am I to you?” I interrupted.

“… I know I’ve never said those three words to you. I know that I’m not expressive about my feelings but you know that you are also someone important to me”

Three words? I love you? He’s never said that to Jihyun before. Aish! What kind of relationship do they even have?

“Do you love me?” I asked finally.

There was a long silence. He wasn’t going to answer. Just as I was about to say something, he approached me quickly and immediately pulled me closer to him. My eyes widened in surprise. What do I do now? Before I could think of a solution, he tightened his grip on my waist and without hesitation leaned closer to my face. I felt his hot breath on my skin. It was intoxicating as I was mesmerized at his handsome facial structure. I couldn’t take my eyes off of his. We intensely stared into one anothers’ eyes as if searching for something. Lost in his eyes, I finally came back to my senses.

“I’m not Ji—” I said before I was interrupted.

Jongin closed the remaining gap between us as his soft lips touched mine in less than a millisecond. I didn’t know what was going on. I felt him slipping his tongue, as I stood frozen.