Reminisce

Unconditioned Fate

I busy myself with work since last few days that I finally have a short break. Until a faint knock on my office door, “Excuse me, Dr. Yoomi.”

 

A man comes in with a worried look on his face.

 

“Yes?”

 

“Our VIP patient is in syncope right now, please come quickly.”

 

 

 

Pushing the door out of my way, I head straight to the patient bed.

 

“Doctor, its V-Fib!”

 

“Ready for CPR and the Paddle!”

 

Commanding task to everyone in the room, the atmosphere become tense.

 

 

 

“200”, I press the paddle against the patient chest. No response.”300” I press again and still no response. “360!” I press again with hope within.

 

The machine give a click sound, indicating the patient passed the critical moment, “Its back.” Everyone in the room let out a huge sigh of relief. I’m glad to be able to save her.

 

I give eye to every each one of them, “What happened?”

 

“One of the nurses said that she was out of breathing all of sudden and falls unconscious.”

 

I let out a sigh. “Wrap up things here.”

 

“Yes, Doctor.”

 

 

 

Standing outside the room, I massage my forehead to relieve the pain aching.

 

Thank goddess she’s saved. But I can't let my guard down. She still suffering a serious heart problem, it could lead to worst disease.

 

 

 

 

Standing on my office, I spoke to the nurse, “Have you called her family members?”

 

“I’ve tired, but it seems that his son cannot be reached.”

 

This going to be trouble.

 

“Besides her son?”

 

“Her husband already passed away recently and she apparently only has one child. There is no information about her other family members.”

 

“Keep calling him until he answers the phone.” I instructed, the nurse quickly excuse herself and leave the office.

 

His mother is almost gone and he is not by her side when she needs him the most.

 

 

 

 

“How is she?” I scanned the VIP patient, who was sleeping on the bed. It appears that she still unconscious after fighting alone with death.

 

“It seems that she will regain consciousness soon.”

 

“Have you spoken to her son?”

 

“Yes, he said he will be here later tonight. It appears that he is in business trip overseas.”

 

“Ah, no wonder. Well, keep an eye on her,”

 

As I was about to step my feet out, chilly-fingers grabs hold of my hands. I spawn around and look at the owner of the hand. The patient slowly opens her eyelids and looking straight at me.

 

“You’ve awaken.” I give a sign to the nurse to gesture her out the room. She bows and quickly leaves.

 

I give the patient a warmth smile and took off her hands from me. “How are you feeling?”

 

She squint her eyes and responds a smile back to me. “I’m fine, dear.”

 

Her face reflects her feeling that she’s lonely. I grab her hands in attempt to keep her at ease. “Your son will be here soon. So you should get some rest while waiting for him.” She nodded. I let go of her hand and let her having her rest as I leave the room quietly.

 

 

 

 

Luhan rushes to the VIP patient room and literally pushed out the double door out of his way with worry plastered on his face as he make his way towards his mother’s hospital bed. He realizes that his mother was currently had peaceful expression on her face while she is sleeping. Luhan had thought that maybe this is the first time he had been watch for his whole life of his mother’s face.

 

He let out a relief sigh, somehow regretting for not being able by her side when the time she needs him most. He took out his phone from his pocket and silently turned off his phone. He studied his mother feature while a flash of memories running inside his head.

 

As if realizing something beside her, she opens her eyes and smile once she sees her son is watching over her. She grabs hold of his arm and Luhan clearly get startle by it.

 

“Eomma… are you okay?” he asks as he put his hand on top of hers while her mother’s hair. He gives her a peck on forehead and silently apologizes to her.

 

Mrs. Lu smiling nodded as she runs down her hand on his son’s hair. How she miss him after the last moment they have meet.

 

“I’m glad you’re here, dear.”

 

 

 

 

“I’ve went over the meeting with the executives and they insist on having me married to get the position with full authority.”

 

“I can’t help you, my dear. It seems that your father have included your marriage in his will.”

 

Luhan sighed in worry as he told her mother about his meeting overseas. Apparently the executives won't let him to take the President of his late father’s company unless he has been into marriage. As much as he hates to admit, he doesn’t have someone special in his heart… yet.

 

He can think of one person only, however the he himself doubts the woman that he will choose will cause disaster to himself. He can't think to let his mother looking a bride for him. So he decided to take the marriage thing off from his mind.

 

 

 

 

I ask out Amber to hang out with me as soon as my work finish and decided to call it a day. It’s been a while since the last time I saw her. We've finish our dinner together and take stroll the night view of Seoul.

 

“So, how was your job at the hospital? I hope you’re doing well…” she asks while keeping her eyes to me.

 

“Yeah, no prob. You don't know how I've been enjoying my work these days.”

 

“Well, I can tell from your face. It's written all over.”

 

“Hehe… you’re crazy! No one can read expression, especially you!”

 

I shove her shoulder playfully and we got into a small fight.

 

It reminds me of the old days. I miss the moment the time we were in college. How I wish I can turn back time to the past.

 

“But can't deny that I've a no problem at work. You know, how someone near death needs someone they love the most by their side? I’ve been thinking about it lately…” I continued as we walk side by side while tucking our hand inside the jacket pocket from the coldness of the winter night.

 

“Yeah. Why…?” The light from the streetlight reflected from her eyes and she squints.

 

“It’s almost like we… scared… to be alone…”

 

I can't deny the feeling that I admit, I fear of death. As much as I afraid losing someone, I can tell how they also fear to not be able to see them for the last time.

 

A flash of memories of my sister run down my head. I shook my head in attempt to shake off the thought. Then I realize Amber is watching me.

 

“What’s wrong?”

 

I give a small smile. “Nothing. It’s cold…! Let’s go home.” I grab Amber’s arm and dragging her away.

 

 

 

 

Luhan put this phone on his ear while closing silently the door, not wanting his mother distracted after she manage to get some sleep. He steps out to nearby window and waiting for the other line to pick up.

 

“Yes, sir..?” a low tone voiced, echoed through his ear drum.

 

“Sehun, I want you to check the background of a woman. I send you a message of her detailed later.”

 

“Huh…?”

 

“Don’t ask, just do as I say.”

 

“Very well then.”

 

Luhan hung up in frustration and shoves his phone back to his pocket. He gazes his eyes outside the window as if thinking about getting solution to his problem.

 

 

 

 

 


A/N: Hey guys. I just wanna give you heads up. I’m gonna end this story soon. So probably I will upload next chapter and the next a bit faster, so stay tuned ^^