Avoiding His Weakness

When You Were Sleeping

I took my bag and headed to the dining room. Eomma was there; she greeted me and gave me kiss on my two cheeks as always. She told me to have a breakfast first before I leave, but I refused. Appa was there; enjoy his breakfast with his morning paper. I did want to have breakfast, but I don’t feel like I want to see my father this morning.

“I’ll leave first.”

I walked towards the bus stop with my morning paper in my hand. I couldn’t focus on the news I read. What halmeoni said last night stick on my head. Appa almost left us for another woman? Was he lost his sanity??

I knew my parents fought a lot when I was kid, but I didn’t expect my father to cheat on my mother just for an underage girl that carried his baby. Why my mother acted as if she was fine after finding the truth about his daughter with other woman??

“Siwon-ah!”

The bus stopped and as the door opened, Donghae showed up. He grinned at me and pulled me into the bus. Donghae was like a storyteller, he told everything that happened to him from last night to the time he got into the bus.

“We are planning to go to the ski resort this weekend, are you in?”

“Who will go with us?”

“Heechul, Hankyung, Kyuhyun, Suho, Luhan, Tiffany, and Krystal.” He explained. “You want me to ask Yoojin go with us.”

I shook my head in instant, but he nodded as if he agreed with me. “Yunho hyung wouldn’t let her go with us.”

That’s a relief.

 

I leaned on the hallway; I was bored to wait for teacher Jang who was going to tell me something about my chance to get basketball scholarship in the U.S. I snorted heavily and stared at the window. The snow started to fall, and I only have less than a year to be with her.

“Sorry for making you wait!” Teacher Jang rushed to see me. His breath was panting and his tired eyes made me aware of what he did. He tried his best to make me get the scholarship because I might be the first one who will get the scholarship from this school.

“Here,” he said as he handed me some files. He stared at me with a great satisfaction in his eyes. Wait… don’t tell me! “Yes! You will fly to Los Angeles in 6 months!”

I widened my eyes at him and he replied me with nods. I looked at the files to make it sure, dude! I really get it! I couldn’t believe what I heard! I really get the scholarship and… it means that… I only have few more months to be with her. How I tell her about this?

“KRIS!!!”

My body was frozen and I feel like I really want to escape from her. I gulped before I greeted her by waving my stiff hands at her. She waved her hand at me back, but she stared at me curiously.

“Why you look so awkward?” she asked me. “Songsaenim, what happened to him?” she asked Teacher Jang.

“He’s in shock.” Teacher Jang said with a big smile of proud.

“Shock? Wae?” She asked us in clueless.

“I, I get the scholarship…” I said.

She widened her eyes and mouth as she was really happy to hear that. Let’s see what she looks like when she heard about what kind of scholarship I get.

 

We were in the roof. Yoojin looked away with gloomy expression painted on her face. “So, we only have 6 months left?” she asked me. I nodded. “Can’t you just stay?”

I shook my head.

“You want it so bad?”

I nodded.

“Malhaebwa!!” She yelled at me in anger, and threw me her pen.  “Why you didn’t tell me at the very first place?! I will never go this far!”

“I never thought our relationship would go this far and… I’ve just known that I will fly to LA that soon.” I said. She bit her lower lips and stared at me with her teary eyes. “We should make a distance from now on…” she said. “It will be hard for me to let you go. So, don’t expect me to send you off.” She got up from her seat and left me.

My heart hurt so badly and I feel like I made a mistake with this decision. Should I stay? I don’t want to lose her… even as friend.

 

This is bad… I prefer to be hit by Boa-ssi again that heard this stupid news! He has been hiding this stupid scholarship thing from me for almost a year? How could he do that to me when he knows that I develop feelings for him?

“YAH! ARE YOU DEAF JUNG YOOJIN?!”

Tiffany knocked my head by her fingers and yelled at me in a super loud voice. “What happened to you? You keep clenching your fist while crying a river.”

What? Crying?

I took my handkerchief from my bag and wiped those stupid tears.  “What do you want?” I asked Tiffany.

She took my wet handkerchief and stared at it. “Explanation?”

“It’s my brother…” Amber said as she approached me and sat beside me. She tapped my shoulder as if she was telling me to be okay. “That scholarship is not just his ultimate dream since he was five, but it is his late father’s last wish. He wants Kris to be NBA Player.”

“But he didn’t tell me at the very first place!” I said. Aish! Tears, stop flowing juseyo!

“That’s another reason why I don’t want you to be with him.” She said. “So, you broke up with him?”

I froze when I heard Amber’s question. Why I really mad at Kris when I’m not even his girlfriend? Who am I to treat him in such way? I feel like a babo now. “We don’t have that kind of relationship.”I said bitterly.

Amber and Tiffany stared at me like they didn’t believe me. “Heechul posted your pic with Kris while kissing under the snow last night! You guys must be having something!”

“That…”

I couldn’t deny it. Yes, we were kissing under the snow when he walked me home. Tiffany reminded me to that night. We were holding hands and laughed at jokes we shared like this day wouldn’t come. I remembered he covered my ears by his two palms to make me feel warm, and then he lowered his body to kiss me on the lips. We were not in boyfriend-girlfriend relationship, but we shared those feelings. I realized that he kept me in the safe zone because of this matter. But I do have to make a distance from now on.

Yoojin sat on the bench while listening to her iPod. It’s been three days since she started avoiding Kris, but her feelings toward him seemed stronger than ever. Her iPod suddenly played a song that reminded her to Kris. While listening to the song, Kris suddenly passed in front of her. Both of them noticed each other, but they act as if they never knew each other. She felt like her heart in pain whenever she saw his figure.

“Stop, jebal…” she muttered as she smacked her own chest.

Kris respected her decision, and he helped her by doing the same way. He’s been feeling blue for the past three days. His friends noticed it, and they kept asking him why they had to choose that path. Kris didn’t tell them the reason; it was too hard for him since it only remind him to everything they’ve been through.

“You guys really need to talk again about it.” Luhan said as he crossed his arms. “That’s not a good way to end a romantic relationship!”

“I’ll just grant her wish, it’s over Luhan.” Kris said as he tapped Luhan’s shoulder and left him. He rushed to the basketball arena, but he found Siwon, waiting for him.

“I heard about you and Yoojin.” He said. He walked towards Kris and tapped his shoulder. However Kris walked away before Siwon said anything more.

“This is what she wants; just let her do anything she wants.” I said.

“You like her, don’t you?” Siwon asked him. Kris didn’t reply. “Then you should…”

“Just leave me.” He cut Siwon’s words. “I don’t need you to lecture me.” He said coldly and left the arena. These past three days have been his hardest days ever. He tried his best to cover up his sadness in front of his family and friends, but whenever he saw places where Yoojin and him go, and where they made memories together.

He made his way to the school’s clinic. He needed time to be alone. No one was there. He chose to lie on the bed in the corner. He was about to close the curtain when he heard heavy steps that came toward the clinic. He closed the curtain and lied down quietly.

“Aish! Where is the nurse??”

He heard Yoojin’s voice and Victoria who was screaming in pain. He wanted to help them, but he didn’t want to make Yoojin feel uneasy.

“Unni! I’ll get you some patch, just stay calm!” Yoojin tried to calm Victoria, but Victoria seemed really in pain. Yoojin didn’t know that to do since she didn’t know where the nurse put the medicine.

“I never know that stomach cramp could be this painful! Aaaargh!!” Victoria screamed again.

Kris heard other heavy steps came closer to the clinic.

“Yah! What happened?”

He heard Suho, Chanyeol, and Luhan’s voice. He started to be afraid of the situation. He was trapped, and if they found him, he’d be a dead meat.

“This is something that you guys won’t understand!” Victoria screamed at them. Chanyeol, Suho and Luhan clueless with what she said.

“She suffers from premenstrual syndrome, don’t make it worse!” Yoojin warned them. Chanyeol and Suho sat quietly and tried their best to not make Victoria angry. “Luhan oppa, can you help me? I don’t know where the nurse keeps the medicine.”

“They put it in that room.” Luhan said as he went to a narrow room near a big shelf. In a few minutes they back with medicine that Victoria need. Luhan handed Victoria a glass and Yoojin gave her the medicine.

“Are you sure that’s the right medicine?” Victoria asked her. Yoojin nodded steadily. “Uri oppa is a doctor, you should trust me!”

“Tsk, tell Changmin I love him if you make me unconscious.” Victoria said as she took the medicine from Yoojin’s hand and drank it with the water.

“Should you say about that in front of me?” Yoojin seemed annoyed with Victoria’s words. Victoria acted as if she didn’t care about her. “I only told you that I love your brother.” She explained. “You shouldn’t be that sensitive, actually.”

“Both Kris and You really sensitive these days, you should make up and back to those lovely days again.” Luhan said. “I feel irritated with his words and actions lately.”

“Why you complain his attitude to me?” Yoojin asked Luhan in an annoyed tone. “I do this for our own sake!”

“By avoiding each other? Are you freaking sure?” Luhan asked Yoojin. “That’s so childish!” Luhan said in a serious tone. “If you think that by avoiding Kris, you’ll live happily ever after right after he leaves you, you’re wrong. You’ll definitely regret what you do now later.”He said. “If you knew what the hell that moron Kris does now is, you’ll regret what you do now!”

Luhan’s words made her bristle. She really didn’t know what to say to him, and his words were like a hand that slapped her really hard.

“And Yoojin-ah,” Luhan called her name. “If I were Kris, I definitely won’t talk to you again because of this matter.”

“Gege, wae??” Suho and Chanyeol asked him.

“Leaving people that I love for something that I desire for a long time is not a simple thing. I’m sure that he’s considering to stay because of what you do now. If he took this scholarship, he’ll be the first student of this school that will play for major league. He’ll give the other students chance to follow his way to be a professional player. But if he turned down the offer, he’ll make everyone disappoint on him. Do you know how hard it is for Teacher Jang to get his name on the list?”

“Luhan, keumanhae…” Victoria begged him. “You’ll make her cry…”

“Vic, you can say that because she’s your friend. Do you know why I said these things? Kris is also my friend. Do you know what he said when we met for the first time? He wants to get that scholarship! Now, he’s considering to give it up just for a random girl that he has just met.” Luhan explained to Victoria in anger. Victoria didn’t say anything. She held Yoojin’s hand to give her courage to face Luhan. “Say something…” she said to Yoojin.

“Then… I’m the bad guy now?” she asked Luhan with teary eyes.

Luhan shook his head. “No, It’s me. I make you cry.” He said. “I’m sorry, but I really got to tell you this. This is hard for him. Now he likes you, but if he chose to stay, but then you guys broke up…”

“Luhan, keumanhae!

Kris pulled back the curtain. Everyone in the clinic shocked to see him. Luhan realized that after this Kris will murder him for real. Kris walked towards Yoojin with his eyes set at hers. “Don’t listen what he said, I’ll stay.”

He wiped her eyes by his two hands. Yoojin shook her head with tears flowed from her eyes. “Ani, he’s right… mianhae…”

Kris felt bad for her. He pulled her into his arms and hugged her tightly. “Sorry for not telling you about this before…”

“Sorry for avoiding you…”

“Let’s give them some time together.” Victoria said as she force Luhan and the others to leave the clinic.

Kris and Yoojin broke their hug and they laughed at each other when Yoojin saw him cried. “Uljima!! You look so weak when you cry!”

“Blame you.” Kris said. “For being my new weakness...”